Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Wants: 1,205
Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

(Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

sendsilk

11-14-2011 14:09:04 | More by sendsilk
chase2634

2.2/5  rDev -46.6%

A: Dark as night with a decent tan head.

S: Smoke, some roasted malts, char and more smoke.

T: Not sure if i got a bad bottle but this was as smokey as Surley Smoke, but not as good. Tasted Nothing like the flavor profile was supposed to. A real let down.

M: Oily, Slick

O: All 10 people at our tasting thought this beer should have been called Sexual Smoke. There was very little sweetness, coffee or chocolate and we had it before we tried the barrel aged version which was 1000 x's better. I won't bother trading for this one again. Terrible let down!

11-13-2011 22:36:21 | More by chase2634
claytong

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

2010 vintage 532/1000

appearance - dark chocolate in color, small deep mocha head, decent lacing

smell - very sweet, milk chocolate, brown sugar, honey, cocoa nibs, caramel

taste - taste so much like the parabola. dark bitter chocolate is damn strong. minor sugar. dark malts.

mouthfeel/overall - thick bodied, good carbonation, a little sticky in the mouth.

10-29-2011 17:08:29 | More by claytong
ne0m00re

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

10/09/11- Review of bottle number 1/750 of the Feb 2009 release.
A: Opaque black with a dark caramel head and slow lacing.
S: Sweet dark chocolate (I feel like saying "check!" after this, for some reason), molasses, light banana--nutty like banana bread--subtle bacon smokey, some port oxidation. Good.
T: Dark chocolate throughout, clean fig and cranberry, cigar smoke in the finish, almost cloying sweet to a more dry earthy finish.
M: Thick and syrupy immediately turns light and almost crisp and lingers sticky.
O: Good. Between BORIS and BCBS in a good way.

10-21-2011 03:40:35 | More by ne0m00re
KickInTheChalice

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. Thanks to goodstrongbeer for bringing this out.

Appearance: This is a good looking pour. The beer itself has a deep ebony hue while the cap retains a coffee and cream color. The head never obtains a very large volume, however, and it slowly settles to a collar around the glass.

Smell: As advertised, the aroma does tend toward the dark chocolate and roasted malt side of things. Not really sweet, but rather dark unsweetened chocolate is the primary aroma, with roasted malt, and some smoke and tobacco in the back.

Taste: The flavor matches the profile of the aroma without matching the intensity. The dark chocolate and roasted malt flavors again dominate, with some roast coffee, smoke, and light dark fruits present as well. The finish is lightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: This has a surprisingly light body for a 10% stout, I was expecting this to be much more full and viscous. The carbonation is creamy and smooth, but the light body detracts a fair amount from my enjoyment of the beer.

Overall: This was not significantly better than any other number of imperial stouts and doesn't seem to warrant the praise it receives.

10-12-2011 22:03:12 | More by KickInTheChalice
Schmittymack

Colorado

3.68/5  rDev -10.7%

On tap at GABF; two samples.

Pours dark brown or even black with a very thin head. Aromas of chocolate, roasted sweet malt, and a touch of coffee. Taste of bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt, dark fruit, and a hint of alcohol. This is another of those elusive brews I was glad to have tasted but just don't get the hype. A very quaffable brew but I'm not going to trade away the cellar to acquire a bottle of this.

10-02-2011 04:31:30 | More by Schmittymack
rockyfire

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours black with a short head and a nice ring of lacing.

Scent of chocolate, raisins, oats, roasted malts, dark fruit, sugars, and a hint of alcohol. While not particularly impressive it had a good depth and balance as well as some nice complexity.

Taste of bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruit, and molasses. Has a nice bitterness to it with nearly unnoticeable alcohol. A tasty brew.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and heavy bodied with a small amount of carbonation.

This is a good beer to try if you can find it. I just don't understand all the hype. Good Luck finding it, I had to trade my left n.. to get a bottle of it!

09-27-2011 03:07:06 | More by rockyfire
nhindian

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

22oz bottle poured into a Mikkeller wine glass. Bottle generously provided by thagr81us as an extra, thanks a ton Calton!!

A - Pours a smooth, sensual, dark mocha brown, and I'd feel comfortable calling this as close to black as you can get. There's only about a finger of sand-colored head, which doesn't last very long before reducing to a thin cap and small bubbles. The lacing almost seems to repel itself, breaking apart in strands rather than form a cohesive covering, but this leads to some neat topography ripe with ridges and canyons of lace.

S - The nose on this is, as would be expected, exceptionally rich in chocolate. Unlike Southern Tier's Chokolat, however, this is a bittersweet cocoa smell rather than the sweet, fudge-like chocolate in Chokolat. Besides that, there isn't a whole lot else besides some fresh espresso roast. There may be traces of darker fruits and alcohol afoot, but if present, is quite faint.

T - Surprisingly, the strong cocoa presence in the nose gives way to more roast in the taste. I guess this gives it a bit more balance, but I would've loved to see the chocolate be the dominant feature in a beer that is named, well, Sexual Chocolate. It starts off nicely enough, with a baker's chocolate flavor mixed with some sweeter malts to give it a nice toffee or molasses edge. From there, I'm actually getting a big, big burst of coffee that begins to overpower the other flavors. This roast continues into the finish, where again, I'm getting traces of dark fruits, but they are buried far below the espresso.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with medium-low carbonation. Despite the lowish carbonation, it doesn't burden the palate or get too heavy. The head, while it lasts, lends it a nice creaminess, like the bloom on a freshly-pressed cup of coffee.

D/O - Drinkability is pretty high. I'll start with a disclaimer: Overall and generally, I felt this was a damn tasty beer throughout and really enjoyed drinking it. The issue I take with it, however, is that I don't think I got an overwhelming chocolate presence that would justify it being named after it. I'm not bashing the beer or it's name at all; for all I know, Foothills could've just picked the name based on it being catchy and exciting and because this beer actually does exhibit a semblance of chocolate. That being said, I can't say I didn't come into this beer expecting dominant chocolate ala Chokolat. I love coffee and coffee stouts, though, so I didn't mind the hostile takeover performed by the espresso in the taste. I hope I get the chance to try the barrel-aged version of this, because it seems like the bourbon would really transform the nuances of this beer.

09-19-2011 05:45:14 | More by nhindian
claaark13

Indiana

3.48/5  rDev -15.5%

Thank you morimoto, I opened a bottle of this and passed it around on DLD, not getting the pour I needed. You provided me with a 2nd chance to give it a deserved taste.

A - Pours a fairly dark, +1.5" brown head. Doesn't appear to be that thick, but rather an average or slightly above average RIS body. Looks nice overall with good head retention. A little better looking than par, but doesn't have the long thick legs I'd expected.

S - Smoke and roasted malt. Nothing special at all here for me. The guy next to me likes it, but this isn't his review.

T - Smokey. Roasted Malts. Smokey. Tries to get a little sweet, but then it doesn't and instead stays smokey. I get a little cocoa, NOT CHOCOLATE, towards the end. As I sip on it more, chocolate comes out in the middle of the flavor. Slightly bitter, definitely smokey finish. I think the smoke takes away from the chocolate potential here. I'm not sure where the anticipated chocolate went....maybe it evaporated and rained over at the Bruery. Seriously though, I dislike that I have to drink 1/2 a glass to get that cocoa flavor. I'm starting to enjoy the beer a bit towards the end, but at a tasting I'd be bummed.

M - Good enough body for a RIS. Not as thick as I'd prefer, but there aren't many that are. I respect the thickness. Creamy mouthfeel is positive.

O - I am disappointed with this one. The smoke takes away from what I think is a decent amount of potential. It is evident throughout my entire 10-12oz pour. Chocolate only comes out after 6oz or so. Otherwise, I have to fight to find it. I'm not going to kill the score because I find it to be unique and it does get a lot better as the glass empties. Less smoke is my request. However, I can see how some people could really enjoy this. I think this is a smoked beer drinker's paradise. Unfortunately, it isn't my preference. I think the BA version will probably benefit from the smokiness though.

09-17-2011 01:33:22 | More by claaark13
Jeffo

Netherlands

4.08/5  rDev -1%

Another awesome installment of Tuesdays with Doopie. This was a killer theme man, having both the base and the PvW barrel aged version back to back. Good times!

From a bomber into a snifter
Vintage: 2011

Note: 2010 vintage, bottle 602/1000 was badly infected. Gave it an F (1.2) and was the lowest score for about a year. Those were the days.

APPEARANCE: Black pour yields a one finger, medium looking tan head with decent retention, fading down to a wisp and ring. Black body with medium levels of carbonation evident. Only a ring remains until the end but leaves no lacing down the glass. Average looking, but much better than the infected variant.

SMELL: Some roasted and smoky malt, but then a nice dose of cocoa powder and pure, dark chocolate. Only a medium strength nose, but definitely enticing.

TASTE: Roasted malts, a smoky touch, with some sweet caramel up front. That moves quickly into a sweet molasses and caramel middle, then into a pure chocolate and cocoa laced finish. Bold and lingering aftertaste is quite bitter, with bitter chocolate, roasted notes and some lingering heat on the palate. Good story here, going from a roasted and sweet beginning into a bitter chocolate finish. Very nice stuff.

PALATE: Medium body, lighter on the palate for the style, and medium carbonation. Creamy on the palate, goes down smooth with a bit of a burn after the swallow and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Fine, but a little too light on the palate for the style.

OVERALL: This was an excellent beer, and dare I say it actually lived up to expectations. The average look and feel were a drawback perhaps, but the nose was enticing and the flavors wonderfully put together. This stout told a story, which sets it apart from many of the other imperial chocolate stouts out there. Unique in its conception and impressive in its execution, this one is well worth the hunt. In fact, its unique qualities led me to enjoy it more than the barrel aged version, which, while being a great barrel aged imperial stout in its own right, had dominated much of what made the base Sexual Chocolate special. Regardless, both are worth checking out if you can. Thanks again for sharing Doops, and thanks for sending these over John.

09-14-2011 18:55:52 | More by Jeffo
ChadQuest

2.45/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

The pour looks a bit thin, more along the lines of a traditional stout then an imperial stout really, some light shows through the edges, but maybe i am just used to pouring so many black holes like hunahpu & darklord, no where near that.
The aroma seem to have a bit of a lactose and coffee note to it, more roasty then chocolate.
Now that we are at the flavors there is something of a burnt vegitable note, i would say asparagus that was burnt. I am very familiar with asparagus. There is afor mentioned high level of roast that is the main game player, the chocolate that the bottle claims only really presents in a powdered coco sort of manor, really dry overall and leaves a lot lacking.

If this was on my local shelves labled year round as something else, i wouldn't buy it, it doesn't taste good.

09-11-2011 05:46:32 | More by ChadQuest
EgadBananas

Louisiana

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

BIG thanks to Bennettrox for this bottle!!

Pours pitch black, with a finger of dark brown colored creamy head. Dissipates to a nice creamy film.

No surprise here...there's lot's O' chocolate! Complimentary roasted notes and a slight char.

Huge chocolaty taste too. Many different tasting chocolates too. Dark, Belgian, milk, ect. It's very robust and intricate. Roasted malts and a little bit of burnt wood, no alcohol.

Full bodies and silky smooth. Slightly lingering, with great taste notes left behind.

Drinkability is excellent, and this bad mamma jamma has given me jungle fever!

09-10-2011 15:56:45 | More by EgadBananas
mulder1010

Australia

3.48/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to bucketboy for the bottle

Bomber poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a dark brown and settled black with just a half a finger of off white head.

S-- Chocolate, coco, coffee and some dark fruits. More of the dark chocolate variety though.

T-- coco powder, dark chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. Nothing too exciting about this beer.

M-- Lots of dark chocolate and coco powder. Very dry finish to this. Low carbonation and low feel to this. Bits of coffee here and there.

O-- Good but not outstanding. Coffee and chocolate got bigger as I drank on with this. A bit overhyped I thought.

09-07-2011 15:01:42 | More by mulder1010
doopiedoopiedoo

Netherlands

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

After I got stiffed in a tade by mhl060 johnbjaeger came to the rescue and send me a Sexual Chocolate AND a BA Sexual Chocolate. The good man never tried any of these beers before so hopefully reading my review about the grandeur of these beers will make him happy. Thanks a million John!

2010 Vintage drank right before the BA version.
Poured into two snifters and shared with Jeffo during a Tuesday beer theme night.

I looked at it and saw it was dark, black... it came with a two finger tan head that left before I could say goodbye. Carbonation was visible. Purdy...

I smelled bitter chocolate, smokey oak darkfruits and a hint of sweetness. Grrreat!

First impression upon drinking is that the palate follows the nose with some added flavors like cherries and some earthy mushroom kind of flavor. Digging it!

The body is a little lighter and more airy than one might expect on such a big beer. Carbonation levels are decent.

All together a fantastic stout. Lots of hype surrounds this beer and yes, YES it is good. Recomended!

You da man, John. Jeff thanks for helping me drink this bad boy!

09-07-2011 13:32:02 | More by doopiedoopiedoo
TMoney2591

3.55/5  rDev -13.8%

Served in a glass mug.

Big thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle!

2009 vintage. Bottle #604/1000. Another bottle shared before my buddy's wedding, his last beer as a single man. It pours a very dark black-brown (almost obsidian, but not quite) topped by a finger of sandy tan foam. The nose comprises chocolate syrup, roasted malts, light coffee, light oak, and light molasses. The taste brings in more of the same, with the emphasis on the chocolate, the coffee, and some added maple syrup. Everything's almost too sweet, clashing with the roast in a strange, though not altogether offensive way. The body is a straight medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a feel that edges to the brink of watery. Overall, a pretty decent impy stout, but it's much too thin and the flavors just don't work together very well. It's good, but nowhere near worth the hype.

09-04-2011 19:55:02 | More by TMoney2591
LiquidBread219

Indiana

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My 200th beer Really wanted to try this one for some time now.

A: Pours dark black with a thick, creamy layer of light brown head. The head sticks around for awhile and there is some decent lacing on this one.

S: Lots of dark fruit are in the nose, with some roasted malts and hints of coco also picked up some smokey scents in this one.

T: The roasted malt is very pronounced in the flavor. Meanwhile the dark chocolate and dark fruit take a back seat to the malt. Which kind of surprised me because I thought the chocolate notes would be stronger in this one.

M: Very soft and creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is there but does not assault the tongue. The finish is very easy. Really thought it was done very well.

D: A very drinkable beer. I thought this beer was going to have a stronger chocolate flavor I guess mainly because of the name, however I really like the balance in the mouthfeel and flavor. The 9.7% abv goes virtually unnoticed in the finish. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to get a bottle of this beer. I probably will seek it out again really enjoyed it.

08-31-2011 06:52:12 | More by LiquidBread219
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

3.5/5  rDev -15%

Thanks for sharing, Josh! Poured into a tulip. There is a large head of about 2 inches that doesn't stick around except for a thin layer of tan bubbles on top. The body is very black.

The aroma is heavy with burnt char. There is a hint of chocolate and slight grassy hop as well. Maybe a bit of burnt rubber.

The taste is heavy on the burnt character. There is some chocolate sweetness, but compared to other chocolate beers it seems minimal. I should note that several sips in I get a note of authentic bittersweet cocoa (like those 70% chocolate bars).

The body is medium to medium-heavy. The carbonation is soft and bubbly.

Not bad but definitely a disappointment. One would expect more chocolate from a beer with chocolate in the name.

08-28-2011 21:46:45 | More by andrewinski1
Bendurgin

Maine

2.73/5  rDev -33.7%

Bottle shared by the generous Josh. Poured into a tulip. This one pours dark brown and sits black in the glass with a finger of tan head that settles down with a little bit of sticky lace.

A little bit of a smokey char aroma comes right away. Very faint chocolate aroma here. Instead of roast, I mostly get char though. This has a leathery flavor with little bit of smoke and lots of char. Honestly seems like this one was simply burned.

The feel is a bit thin for an RIS and the carbonation is soft but there.

Overall this one is a little dissapointing. Nothing bad or offensive here but just not what one would hope it would be.

08-28-2011 21:40:34 | More by Bendurgin