Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Wants: 1,239
Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

(Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007)
3.18/5  rDev -22.8%

Huge thanks to khiasmus for this one

22oz bomber poured into my snifter

The appearance is opaque black with a two inch mocha colored head. Average head retention with a very thin layer sitting on top of the beer and sides of the glass. Lacing was notable when you slosh the beer around.

Aroma consist of dark chocolate, black strap molasses, espresso, cocoa nibs, vanilla, tobacco, black leather, and dark fruits.

Upfront slightly sweet taste of cocoa and milk chocolate with vanilla and molasses following. Espresso and dark fruits show midway with a slightly roasted dry bitter coffee finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a tad thin for being a stout. Finish is actually a bit watered down and the flavors seem not to follow throughout the taste.

Overall as excited as I was to try this beer, I will say I was let down. Sadly I'm afraid to say there is way better stouts that are easily more available to get.

2.4/5  rDev -41.7%

Bottle #966/1000 2010 vintage, poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with two fingers of head that settles quite nicely.

Smell: Burnt chocolate, roasted malt, cocoa, some sourness. Improves as it warms.

Taste: Roasted malt, some chocolate...HEAVY sour fruit taste. I think I have an infected bottle.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery.

Drinkability: I have another bottle, I think this one might have been infected, if that one is better I'd seek out again, if not I wouldn't, hence the average rating.

4.08/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to Davolebomb for bringing this to our stout tasting!

3oz pour from a 22oz bottle into a Perfect Pint glass. As expected, the body is black and dark; no light can touch this one. The head is dark khaki, poor retention time, but decent lace.

The nose is totally different from any of the other stouts sampled tonight. The chocolate and coffee notes take a back seat to a fruity sweet aroma...dark cherries, plums and maybe some molasses.

Hmmm...the taste goes right where the nose suggested. Sweet, fermented fruit meets with baker's chocolate and light coffee. I was expecting a chocolate bomb out of this one...no such creature here. Roasted finish with well hidden booze.

Medium to thick mouth feel...oily as hell with mild carbonation.

Decent enough, but the hype surrounding this had my expectations set pretty high. I would like to try this again...

3.33/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured a deep mahogany brown/black, with a thin'ish tan head, little visible carbonation, and decent lacing. Smelled of cocoa powder (Bosco'ish), dark chocolate, and very subtle coffee. Very one dimensional. The taste also was one-dimensionally chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate, with very little in the way of coffee, anise, woodiness, etc. The finish was sweet as well. The most surprising thing was the body, which was thinner than expected, though very smooth. My gut reaction was that this beer would benefit greatly from a little more flavor and texture balance. I know that this is a popular brew, and a lot of people might think that I'm smoking crack as they read this, but maybe I had my hopes too high, as I was genuinely disappointed. I'd be willing to give it another shot though.

2.05/5  rDev -50.2%

Big thanks to HeyOhh for sharing this

Why review an infected bottle? Because it is still the product they put out, intentional or not. This bottle was generously shared at a tasting, and it was very disappointing to all of us who were expecting more. It must've been a huge disappointment to HeyOhh who brought and shared it. I know he traded some good stuff to land it.

A - Stout. Good.

S - Like charred cocoa, chewing tobacco and asphalt mixed with a McDonald's apple pie. But worse than that could possibly sound.

T - Interestingly, the infection and the flavors of the intended beer seem to stand apart, unlike, say, Black Tot where the infection and the flavor melded and crossed over. Regardless, this tastes gross due to the infection. It seems like a 'B' grade stout got knocked down to a 'D'.

M - Like a violation.

D - ISO clean Sexual Chocolate, so I can re-tick.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle #276 of the 2010 vintage, generously shared by grub - cheers Russ!

Pours a midnight black with a light tan head that quickly drops to a film, but leaves some nice lace streaks. Fairly standard appearance for an imperial stout. The nose is neat, with rich dark fruit complimenting cocoa powder, burnt caramel and deep roasted notes.

While the flavour is chocolate-forward, its not quite the cocoa explosion I expected it would be. Regardless, the chocolate leads off, and plays nicely with cherries and dark fruit. Strong roasted notes throughout, which provides a burned bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is present, but well-hidden. The mouthfeel is undoubtedly the greatest aspect of this beer, with its full, creamy feel, which provides a luxurious decadence.

There's no doubt this is a good example of the style, but its difficult for me to discern what makes this so special to so many BAs. The limited availability may be a factor, but to me this is just another entry in a pack of decent imperials that I've enjoyed but didn't adore.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

2010 vintage, bottle #276.

A: Black with a tan head, light retention but it leaves an excellent lace.

S: Chocolate covered cherries, brown sugar, hints of fruity esters.

T: Bakers chocolate, demerara, cherries with a hint of tartness, good bitterness, rum-like flavour though the alcohol is relatively subtle (considering the strength).

M: Full body is very smooth, with a slightly drying alcohol finish.

D: An enticing sipper.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

Just got done watching 4th of July fireworks and eating ice cream and felt like it was time to open something special. 2008 vintage, bottle number 200 of 500. Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Portsmouth tulip. poured a thick pitch black color with a thin mocha head. The head faded to a thin ring around the edge of the glass after a few minutes and left just a hint of lacing.

The aroma has a bold dark chocolate and cocoa flavor to it. Some roasted malts and a hint of dark fruit are present as well. Nice chocolaty aroma to it overall, not the most complex imperial stouts on the nose, but represents it's name very well.

The taste has a big dark and bitter chocolate flavor to it. It also has a pretty strong burnt and roasted flavor with some smokiness to it as well. The finish has a dry, bitter, burntness to it that lingers on the palate. The chocolate is really the showcased flavor overall though, and thankfully it's a very good chocolate flavor. Excellent tasting beer overall.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy, while carbonation is on the lower side. Great mouthfeel and just how I like my imperial stouts. Drinkability is good, I really liked the dark, bitter, chocolate flavors as well as the burnt, smokiness it had. Would have paired great with the ice cream I just had. Excellent beer overall.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to my friend cmorton for sharing his bottle of Sexy Chocolate with me, and oh-my what sexy artwork. Poured into a tulip. Had this side by side with Stone IRS 2010 (I know I compare it to Speedway a bunch below, not a typo). Review from notes.

Dark black with a one finger khaki head. Nice lacing left behind. 4.5

Smell reminds me of speedway stout. Bitter cocoa, and burnt malts. 4

Tastes a lot like speedway stout without coffee. Sweet cocoa, dark chocolate. Mostly cocoa nibs. Charred malts. Somewhat acidic. 4

Full bodied smooth and creamy. Perfect. 5

An easy drinker. Really reminds me of speedway stout w/o the coffee. 4

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

A massive thanks to RocPorterFanatic for busting this out at DLD. Review from notes on 4/24/10.

A - Blackish with mahogany in the light, short lived tan head. 4.5

S - Lots of cocoa, chocolate, coffee, and roastiness. 4.5

T - Very very chocolatey. Roasted coffee beans and toast. Hint of prunes and yeast. 4.0

M - Not too thick but not as thin as most people make it out to be. Good carbonation. 4.0

D - Extremely. I'd hit this up all day. 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Nothing can make your day like a pour of SC right? Seems to never stop amazing me as the dark as night liquid hits the glass like a ton of oil. A thick head of brown forms on the top and quickly starts to coalesce into a full on cloud that just will not drop away. Really nicely put together as always the rich dark chocolate aroma mixes with tons of coffee and burnt molasses to form a thick and foreboding aroma that really just does not cease to amaze. Decadent in every sense of the word it just seems to drip layer upon layer of thick dark chocolate onto the palate and hints of bourbon, coffee, licorice all follow suit. Light vanilla and molasses round out the finish and overall we have ourselves a monster of a stout.

One of the best, you know that. I am just lucky in the fact that I get to try it often and never seem to be able to get enough.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a midnight black with a very nice tan head and lacing.

Aroma of dark chocolate and roasted grains. Smells good.

Tastes alot thinner than expecting. A little bitter from the grains. I was expecting more chocolate from the name but I guess not.

Mouthfeel needs more. Needs a little more malty sweetness.

Overall it needs more sweetness. The name is kind of misleading. It's good but not what expected.

2.23/5  rDev -45.9%

Pours a dark brownish black with a dark tan head on top. Nice lacing around glass (tulip). Happy with the looks of this Chocolate IS.

Very Strong Chocolate on the nose. Not too much but chocolate on the aroma, but perhaps a acetic acid along with the chocolate.

BIG Chocolate at first on the taste and a bit of a roasted characteristc to the chocolate taste, along with a bit of a resin likeness. The aftertaste is actually horrible, it is more like a cheap american stout taste with a helluva lot of chocolate added, rather then an imperial stout finish. NOT creamy, not smooth!

As for the body, BLAH! This is so thin, I cannot beleive they call it an Imperial Stout. This should be a dark chocolate ale or even more of a porter rather then a stout. Plenty of carbonation but somewhat watery.

This is a rare ale that does not measure up to the hype it has. You have to keep in mind there are only 500-600 bottles a year so it can build up a hype about it with that few bottles. We had bottle 5 of 600. Very dissappointed with this ale! We had it at a blind stout tasting and most of us gave it very low grades then. Now with 4 of us sharing a bomber, we are still highly dissappointed with this stout. Perhaps we had two bad bottles between two years, but I doubt it! This is far from the definition of Imperial Stout!

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Got from TATTORSO, and one from sleedydave...thanks again guys...not sure who's I'm drinking! Poured from a 22oz bomber into my snifter glass. Pours mostly dark black, but not as thick and black as oil...like some stouts. Leaves a nice creamy dark tan head with decent retention. Appearance off the bat looks awesome!

Aroma is very nice! Lots of things going on, malts, dark fruits, booze, chocolate, coffee, hops...similar to a Darkness.

Hmm, flavor is not at all what I was hoping for or expected. Don't get me wrong, the beer is not bad...just a tad over-rated in my opinion. Mouthfeel starts off smooth and creamy, medium carbonation...coffee hits right away, but then dissipates just as quick, leaving way to a semi-sour chocolate. The fruits towards the finish resemble sour cherries...again, not what I expected. I was expecting some hops, but not hoppy at all, just slightly sour towards the finish, and dries up relatively quick. Overall, not a bad beer at all, I just think the hype doesn't deserve the results. Glad I got to try!

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jojomda & grant217 for sending me bottles of this. I'm still hoarding the bottle Mr. 217 sent me, so this is the fresh February 2010 batch. It says so on the label.

Pours black as any RIS or bottom of a coal mine. As it warms a bit, the smell is rather startling - so rich it's a bit like brandy, thick with alcohol, dark, & rich. Excellent. Makes me think there's a good thing coming to my lips.

Bitter roasted malts kick off the Chocolate Sex experience, stopping just short of coffee, but drifting towards charcoal. Earthy & elemental, & the advertised chocolate is a chin-stroking afterthought to the singe. Grainy & gritty, with a fist-bump of hops that linger into the aftertaste & leave a nice ring around the ashes of the campfire in my mouth. Mmmm.

(By the way, I love roasted, charred, burned, etc. malts, so most of that previous paragraph was intended as a compliment...we now return to our regularly scheduled review)

Nice & thick, with a stickiness that really sticks to your ribs, & everything else. This is almost a full meal in & of itself. Despite that, I'm sure that if my wife decides she doesn't want her half of the bottle, I'll happily dispose of it for her.

Well, I wasn't sure at first, but as this one warms, it opens like the roses after a steady rain. Black roses, of course. I'm already looking forward to the 2008 bottle that's been resting for a long time in the cellar. Maybe next year...

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks to Mike for this one. Shared at the Bruery 2nd Anniversary.

A: A beautiful looking pour: dark as night with a solid tan head on top. The beer pours with a nice viscosity to it as well.

S: A lot of roasted malt with perhaps a touch of char. There is a hint of smoke too, along with chocolate and coffee.

T: The flavors are quite similar to the nose. A really impressive roasty quality that does not completely overwhelm the beer. A mix of dark and milk chocolates along with some coffee and a light hint of smoke.

M: This one is medium in terms of body with a moderate level carbonation.

D: A pretty easy to drink beer for a Russian Imperial Stout. Quite minimal alcohol presence, and easy to drink.

Pours completely black, with modest white head. Thanks Mikesgroove. Pleasant aroma, was expecting extreme chocolate and happy that was not the case. Also happy not coffee overdone. Well integrated RIS, bittersweet chocolate. Above average mouthfeel. Good drinkability.

2.3/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours black with a tall, dark tan head. Excellent retention and some decent lacing.

Strong acetic acid in the nose. Nothing else comes through aside from vinegar/acetic acid.

There is some chocolate and roasted character to the taste but primarily it is acetic acid and sesame seed oil.

Body is thin and somewhat watery with excessive carbonation.

Overall, this beer was not good and is primarily hype driven in my opinion. The three of us who split this bottle all got vinegar/acetic acid in the aroma and sesame seed oil in the taste. I'm really hoping this was just a bad bottle because it was really bad.

3.38/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A= The pour is pitch black with an almost nonexistant head on it. The head is just some spots on top of the beer with a small ring around the glass. There is a small amount of lacing however.

S= The smell is chocolaty and coffee all the way. Not as roasty as a RIS usually is. The smell is somewhat muted but stil very reminicent of a RIS.

T= The taste is a little chocolatey and a little coffee like. Not the most intense taste I've ever had in an RIS. Really mellow. I think the taste is somewhat watery. Somewhat of a dissapointment.

M= While I think the taste is watery the mouth if very nice and thick. Heavy and coating.

D= Thanks to Thomashardy for this one in a trade. This was one of those beers I never thought I would get to try. Unfortunatly it is sort of a let down. A good RIS but not the best I've ever had by far.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Got a tasty looking growler of this from kkipple. Stayed well in the growler too as there is plenty of carbonation. Also gotta thank Lunch for bottles I can now age.

A: Nice fluffy thick head, super pitch black color.

N: Lots of dark malts, some chocolate with bakers and dark choc, but not as much as I expected. A slight milk chocolate too. Tons of roast though, with a touch of coffee, caramel, toffee, and luscious dark malts.

T: Similar to the nose, starting with tons of dark malts. Lots of roast with a touch of coffee, some chocolate malts with hints of bakers chocolate and dark chocolate as well as touch of chocolate milk. Rich and thick, chewy, and slightly creamy. Tons of bitterness from the roasted charred malts which brings some minerality with it. Slightly sweet with a little chewiness and caramel.

M: Thick and creamy, slightly smooth, and pretty good carbonation for being in a growler, shipped, and stored in a fridge for a couple weeks.

F: Slight sticky syrupy finish, still semi sweet with lots of roasted malt bitterness and lingering minerality. Some roasted malt flavor lingering with a touch of chocolate and some caramel. Overall nothing like I expected. A lot more malt and roasted malt especially forward and much less chocolate than I was expecting. Still a great beer, not too sweet, good roast, hides the booze well, but did have a little heavy on bitterness from the charred malts and somewhat of a misnomer name. Can't wait to try this aged a couple years.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter - 2010 Vintage...

Pours dark black, dense with a thin one finger light tan head which goes away pretty quickly...

Roasted chocolate malts, some coffee and dark fruits...not too sweet and not much chocolate...

Bitter roasted malts to start, beer really sweetens as it warms. Bittersweet chocolate really comes out strong as the temp increases as does some molasses. Some bitter coffee balances things out at the end...

Thick smooth and creamy...no booze presence...

Nice beer, nothing earth shattering but a solid, albeit, somewhat standard Imperial Stout...

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Big thanks to JR for being my regular hook-up with this one. I've had this a few times, including once in growler format at RBWG, but I've never taken the time to write any notes. Shared with Nate & Bryna - served in a Darkness snifter. Bottle #525/1000 from the 2010 release.

A - Pours with a finger of dark tan foam that dissipates to a thin ring. Some spotty lace is left clinging to the sides of the glass. The body is black with some glints of brown at the fringes of the glass.

S - Roasted malts, chocolate cake, molasses, dark fruits, and caramel candy. I don't get much of the espresso mentioned on the bottle. This takes a little while to warm up, and I expected more intense chocolate (given the name).

T - The taste is quite similar, but some earthy espresso bitterness pops up along with a nice multi-grain toast malt character that imparts a bit of char. Very well balanced, but surprisingly subtle.

M - This is a little thin for an RIS, although it wasn't far off considering the sub-10% ABV. Carbonation was a little zestier and grittier than I prefer. Finishes chewy & sticky.

D - Since the bottle was split three ways, this went very fast. I could definitely have used another pour, but c'est la vie! Doesn't get cloying at all, which is a welcome surprise.

The smell/taste are closer to 4.25 each, so I slightly fudged (no pun intended) the scores to convey that in the overall assessment. This is a very good and enjoyable stout that seems to be slightly overrated due to rarity and local hype.

I made a point of drinking this fresh to fully experience the chocolate character, but if you're expecting ST Choklat (which I dislike) you will be a bit disappointed. Nate mentioned that some think this is better on draft - I can see that being the case if it improves the feel.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

A big thank you to drabmuh for sharing this at my last tasting.

A: Near black, good head and lacing.

S: Enticing aromas of roasted malt with hints of chocolate.

T: Very tasty. A beautifully balanced big stout. A slight hop character in the finish adds another level of complexity to this tasty brew. There is less chocolate in the flavor than the name suggests, but subtle hints of bittersweet chocolate make this a pleasure to drink.

M: Crisp carbonation, great feel. ABV masked well.

D: Yes please, may I have another. I seriously need to go to the release next year, provided that I don't get snowed in again.

29 Jan 2011: Made it to the release! Good times.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a deep, opaque black, with a pretty decent amount of light to medium brown head. Aromas of roasted malt, dark chocolate and mocha/espresso. Nice flavors of cocoa powder, espresso, roasted malts, and a little bit of sweetness. The body here is a little bit thin, but overall a pretty nice example of the style.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to abbddull (Andy) for letting me try this at DLD. And then another thanks to the kind soul who let me have some more of it at DLD. Two different growlers of this stuff floating around at DLD...it was just meant to be! Review from phone notes.

A- Poured a black color sure it would have been a darker brown if I held it up to some light. One and a half finger tan head stuck around for a little while before capping the top of the beer. Ringing lacing on the glass as I drank it down.

S- There is chocolate in this big time. It seems like a mix though of cocoa and darker chocolate in the front of the aroma. Good roasted malts in the middle of this with some light darker fruits. Very coffee forward in the ending of the aroma. I thought it would be a little more in the chocolate aroma department but still smells good.

T- Good chocolate kick in the front of the beer. Not a bittersweet chocolate (darker) taste but a sweet creamy milk chocolate flavor. Good but unexpected. The roasted malts came in next with a light darker fruit and caramel undertone to it. There is a some coffee like presence I think in the tail end of this but the chocolate still holds on till the very end although much faded than in the front of the beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Felt a little watery at times in the mouth. Carbonation is good for the style. Chocolate was left on the palate and into the aftertaste with some light roasted flavors. Very chocolate forward in the palate and kind of let other flavors fade out. Light drying also as I sipped it down.

D- This was a very drinkable stout that was bordering on the Milk Stout style. I would like to try this beer again with a little bit of age on it to see if the chocolate mellows on it. Overall it was drinking rather nice right now. I would have no problem drinking a lot of this.

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company