Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Wants: 1,228
Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

(Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007)
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Review #200. Had on tap tonight (4/5/10) at Churchkey in Washington, DC. This was the 2009 SC and was served in a 10 oz. snifter.

a - Pours a dark brown with one finger of brown head and nice lacing and froth.

s - Smells of cocoa, sweet chocolate and malts, roasted malts, and maybe some dark fruit. As it warms up, got a little coffee as well.

t - Tastes of bitter chocolate up front, followed up cocoa, roasted malts. As it warms up maybe a little vanilla and dark fruit.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and creamy. Very easy to drink.

d - Overall I thought this was a great beer. I've had 09 and 10 SC and think the 09 is much better. I think the time on it lets the hops fade and lets the chocolate and some other flavors like the dark fruit come out more. For 9.75% ABV this is very drinkable and I can't wait to try my bottles of 2010 SC with some time on them.

mdfb79, Apr 06, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 vintage on tap at Church Key today. What a pleasant surprise!

The pour is quite gorgeous, black with a dark brown head with great retention and lacing. I found the nose excellent. While there was a definite faded hop character with a mildly oxidized character, the blend between dark chocolate, roast, cocoa and a toasted bread sweetness was very very good. The palate opens with a blend of chocolate flavor and a surprising, mild lactic tartness. Flavors of dark chocolate, toasted bread, a moderate caramel sweetness all appear on the palate. Some dark fruit character is noticeable as well, with some plum character. Mildly bitter on the finish with a great dark chocolate bitterness, this beer tastes great. The mouthfeel is borderline exceptional. Medium to full in body with a soft, lush carbonation, this feels exceptional smooth on the palate, a lushness which works beautifully with the delicate chocolate character and the bitterness. This really is a top notch stout, I'd have drunk more but for the $10 pours. Much better than out of a bottle.

DefenCorps, Apr 06, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

At Churchkey in DC, a 10 oz snifter for $9 of the 2009 vintage. First time I've ever seen anything from Foothills in DC/Nova/MD area.

This experience with the beer wasn't all that impressive. The beer is served in a snifter that is about 4/5 near black, opaque liquid with a large, dense foamy tan head that hangs around the duration of the beer and leaves thick sheets of lacing. Aroma is mild blend of expected roast malt, cocoa, milk chocolate, slightly powdery. Carbonation is very low throughout and body is generally silky and smooth, but marginally thin for the style and slightly watery in the finish. Flavor is one dimensional, natural milk chocolate and cocoa powder with a mild sweet malt body. Little to no hop, fruit, char or alcohol presence resulting in an overall lack of balance. I'm waiting to try a bottle of the 2010 release and have greatly diminished expectations for that, but I'm still holding out hope that will be a little more complex, interesting and nuanced. However if this keg was representative of what everyone else has sampled for this beer, then for me this is easily one of the most undeservedly over hyped and sought after beers I've tried.

edit: Reading other reviews from the same night it's like we had two different beers. I wonder if I had a dirty glass or...I don't know, something seems off. Wouldn't be first time that's happened to me there.

yourefragile, Apr 06, 2010

Into a tulip courtesy of alexd3891, pours a small quantity of head that dies quickly, nary to reemerge atop an impenetrable black body.

Smells of cocoa bean, blocks of chocolate, and oak. It's very *whiff*, "ahhh!" worthy.

The flavors include bitter chocolate with a slightly phenolic edge, the latter of which may be due to some of the other beers I drank. Definitely organic in nature in terms taste.

The mouthfeel is thinner than I would like, even upon swishing. Fairly viscous in the consistency.

Overall, it's good but I am not exactly jumping for joy in consuming more. Perhaps if I had it on its own instead of subsequent to three strong ales I would enjoy it more.

jminsc76, Apr 05, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -9%

27/1000 2010 Vintage thanks to kbutler1! Had this side by side with ORF.

Poured into a wine shaped snifter.

pours a light tan head that fades down fast. Color is a deep brown, pretty much black.

Aroma: Deep rich chocolate, reminds me of Belgian chocolate. Rich and roasted malts. Light coffee. Not a big hop profile noticeable.

Taste: Tons of chocolate and again, it reminds me of Belgian chocolate. Roasted malts. Light grassy hops. Some coffee flavors. Basically, just a big chocolate stout.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, and velvety. Decent carbonation with a full body. Ends roasted and dry.

Overall, this is a decent beer, but I think it is a little hyped up. Maybe it would be better with some time on it, but fresh it is nothing stunning. Still, I am really glad I got to try this one.

mothman, Apr 04, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -7%

Poured from a Growler obtained on "Rare Keg Thursday" at the Green's on Piney Grove Road (1 Apr 2010). A great April 1st offering!!

Appearance - Black as midnight. Pours a dense/viscous fill. A light tan-colored head forms (about half a finger) that resolves into a light ring after several minutes. A bit of lacing, nothing much however.

Smell - Big roasted malt nose. Caramel and cocoa aromas come through as well. Some sweetness as well and a lively nutty presence as well.

Taste - Big up-front malt body. The nutty aroma gives way to a woody/nutty middle-game. The end is a tongue-coating oily finish with a bit of a hop bite as an after thought. A bit of the alcohol comes through at the end as well, opening the door for your next sip.

Mouthfeel - Moderate carbonation. I was expecting a denser body but I'd have to classify this as moderate as well. The tongue-coating mentioned above is note-worthy more for a comparison with others in the style.

Drinkability - A sipper and something to share. I enjoyed this offering.

Nesued, Apr 04, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

2010 bottle

A: Dark black-brown body with a large cream brown head... good retention and spotty lacing...

S: Chocolate certainly is front and center with notes of both bitter dark chocolate as well as creamy sweet milk chocolate... really not much else shining through here

T: Like the nose, and the name obviously suggests... chocolaty is clearly what they were going for... interestingly coffee rears its head here after being nowhere to be found in the nose... all said, not quite as profound as the reputation and the concept of "sexual chocolate" would lead one to expect

M: Medium bodied with a well disguised abv... creamy and smooth with a soft finish

D: This is a good, perhaps even very good beer... the problem is the competition up at the top of RIS style is spectacular these days ... probably won't go through the effort of tracking this down in subsequent years

callmemickey, Mar 29, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

I drank this 2010 version, bottle #480 of 1000, 22oz bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours opaque black with a disappointing less than half a finger of dark tan head. Terrible retention, medium lacing.

The aroma is super light. It gives off mostly cocoa, as you would expect. Its pretty sweet.

The taste is a big surprise, it is totally off from the aroma. It is all bitter coffee. There is no sweetness or any chocolate. The finish is bitter and has some bitter alcohol. As the beer warms up a lot it starts to mellow out on the bitterness and a little more chocolate starts to show itself.

The feel is ok, a little too light for a stout, but a very bitter tacky finish.

Overall, I was really disappointed here. The chocolate is super light in the aroma and it disappears mostly in the taste. If I didn't know better I would think this was a coffee stout. The taste is a big one noter and boring. This has to be a top 100 because of the name and bottle, about the only cool thing here.

jrallen34, Mar 29, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +19.7%

Draft pour into a snifter at Revolution Pizza in Charlotte

A - Black as night with a nice tan head that sticks around as long as the glass isn't empty.

S - Smells like roasted barley, a hint of coffee and ... dark chocolate!

T - Huge roasted malt flavors at first with loads of dark chocolate flavor at the end. Full of flavor from start to finish. Reminds me a lot of eating a piece of dark chocolate. The alcohol flavors are covered up real well and I love that about it.

M - Really smooth drinking beer. Medium to heavy body.

D - I really love this beer. The chocolate flavor is very pronounced, you can't taste the booze and it is easy to drink for such a bit stout. Easily the best dark beer I've ever had.

jpmclaug, Mar 23, 2010

Enjoyed this side by side with Olde Rabbit's Foot. This bottle, courtesy of kbutler1. Thanks Kevin for the chance.

2010 release. Bottle # 27/1000

Pours a deep black, with a surprisingly light colored head sitting on top. Retention is good and manages to leave some nice lacing.

They weren't kidding with the chocolate in this one. Very chocolatey on the nose, with a lightly roasted malt hangin on strong in the background. Was expecting it to be hoppier as it's so fresh, but it wasn't.

Taste is just like the nose, lots of roasted malts and chocolate, with any bitterness coming from the roasted malts, thanks to the lack of hops. Tastes great, but I feel it's lacking something.

Not as heavy as I thought it would be, about medium in body. Soft feel with a carbonation that might be just a tad to high for the style. Drinkability is good.

Overall, definitely a good RIS, but I just don't think it lives up to the hype. Granted, this is a fresh bottle and I can see this getting better with age, but it's not like it was too hot or anything so how much better is it really going to get? I've been told previous years were fantastic. Anyways, I think the four of us were split down the middle, two liked this better and two liked Olde Rabbit's Foot better. For the record, I liked Olde Rabbit's Foot better.

Mistofminn, Mar 23, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

I received a pity bottle because I couldn't go to the release due to a huge snowstorm. I brought the bottle to a recent tasting to spread the love around.

2010 release. Beer is black with a thick brown head made up of medium and large bubbles.

Aroma is sweet with some chocolate in there. Beer is medium in body and has some roast character at the back. There is a bitterness from the chocolate I assume, really creamy and consistent palate presence. Really smooth, finishes cleanly. Very awesome.

drabmuh, Mar 21, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

A couple of great BA's hooked me up with bottles of this highly sought after limited release beer. Thanks to ipa247 and cashew70. These guys are great traders and great beer friends. I raise my snifter to both Jeff and Carl!

A - Other than the label on the bottle (still one of my favorites), this is the best part of the experience. Pours dark with a very nice tan head that looks great in the glass. Great!

S/T - A slight disappointment in that the choc is very reserved (as others have said countless times). What you get is a deep taste of roasted malts and a bit of licorice, coffee, and some bitter chocolate. Good, but I would like to see them raise the choc profile a tad.

M- Very good. Nice and rich, almost the next level up in rating for me (where is the 4.25) when you need it. Drinks very nice.

D - Enjoyable. I actually would like to do a blind test with the Stone RIS. The last Stone RIS that I had (a 2007 which had mellowed nicely) tasted very similar to me.

Thanks again to these two great BA's for showing me some Sex Choc goodness. Would I search this one out and trade my best beer for it? Probably not, but I still enjoyed the experience very much. I just prefer a couple of other stouts much more. Still, very happy to have had the opp to try this one, never thought I would get that chance.

Beerisheaven, Mar 20, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I get from cousin in New York. I thank you for all these beer.

Like other Russian Imperial Stout this look very black. No chocolate smell. Just alcohol. But taste very much chocolate and alcohol not so much. Almost as good Brooklyn. This one I feel not drunk from. I love to drink this more.

spiner, Mar 18, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

First off, big big thanks to cashew70 for putting a bottle of this in the Naked Beer Geek BIF. Thanks again Carl!

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into my Maudite snifter glass.

A: A jet black dense liquid with a very thin light brown head. No glass lacing at all.

S: Roasted smell with hints of chocolate, coffee, licorice and maybe some woody oaky smell.

T: Wow, such a huge roasted malt flavor right up front. Mixes of dark chocolate, coffee, esspresso, licorice and some vanilla flavor sneak in towards the back end. A light sweetness emerges at the back with some bitter chocolate finishing out. The hops are faint, but show at the back of the beer. I actually expected more chocolate.

M: Full, coating, a bit bitter. The alcohol is very well hidden and the roasted flavor lingers.

D: Medium. The beer drinks pretty easily, but with the roastiness one bomber is more than enough.

This is a very good stout, but it didn't quite live up the the hype or the name. There were chocolate flavors but not near what I expected. A very good stout but not one of the best I ever had, sorry to say. Still, I'm damn pleased (thanks again cashew70) to be able to try it. Thanks!

Kadonny, Mar 15, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

2010 bottle into a Portsmouth Brewery tulip.

A = Thick, black and utterly opaque. Thick, half-inch beige head forms a few seconds after pour, fades slowly to a one-centimeter cover, which remains throughout tasting.

S = Roasted malt, chocolate, dark fruit, coffee, more roast. Not as complex as expected, and more roasty,

T = Similar to smell -- lots of roast, coffee, chocolate and som vanilla. French roast coffee lingers, nicely, for some time.

M = Medium-full body.

D = Very, very easy to drink and down-right dangerous. Alcohol hidden well. Overall it's a damn nice RIS. It's no Kate the Great, but nice. Damn nice.

masterhomebrewer, Mar 11, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

I oured from bottle 834 of the 2010 release courtesy of my sister in law. It pours jet black with a thin tan head. The cocoa is present in the aroma, along with hints of coffee. Chocolate and coffee in very good balance dominate the flavor. Toffee and dark fruit are also present. The beer finishes with lingering dark chocolate. The beer is well carbonated and medium in body. It also has a very creamy mouthfeel. A very good RIS that meets the hype.

bonkers, Mar 07, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Shared with several friends on 2/8/10

Thin translucence at the edges but mostly opaque black and dark brown. Dark tan head.

Roasted chocolate and malty molasses nose. Little to no heat on the scent.

Cocoa and malty goodness. The cocoa nibs are apparent. Tastes great except the cocoa hasn't settled into this bottle quite yet. My taste from the tap on the next day reveals a less chalky cocoa like quality and a creamier dark chocolate flavor and mouth.

Drinks great! With time the bombers will be beautiful and the kegs are always beautiful!

Habmike, Mar 06, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

2010 growler.

Thick black pour. Small mocha foam, halos of lacing.

Big cocoa powder in the nose. Lots of chocolate and roasted barley. Great balance of sweet and bitter aroma.

Great flavor, too. Lots of bittersweet chocolate and roasted barley. Good cocoa flavor. I much preferred the growler of '10 to the glass of '09 I had at Foothills on release day.

Body was maybe a little thinner than I'd like. Really easy drinker compared to most of the heavy-hitting imperial stouts.

Gyle41386, Mar 04, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to my beer brother BeerFMAndy for sharing this beer with me.

Bottle #590/1000. Split into two oversized english pint glasses. The beer is dark brown bordering on black. Two fingers of dark tan head fade leaving a decent amount of sticky lace. Nice cascade, moderate cap.

The aroma is a healthy dose of roasted malt and smooth freshly brewed coffee. Not harsh black bitter coffee but the pleasant gourmet kind. The choclate is sort of an after thought actually. It's there but not as strong as I expected with the name being sexual chocolate. There are hints of molasses and vanilla as it warms. No trace of booze.

The flavor is nothing short of delicious. Smooth roast malt. Plenty of coffee and chocolate. Hints of dark fruit, vanilla, molasses and touch of bitter hops in the finish.

Full velvety body. Lightly chewy with a touch of carbonation.

Overall a great RIS. Worthy of it's spot in the top 100. A million thanks to Andy for sharing this with me.

beerwolf77, Mar 03, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle split with Beerwolf77 and poured into a nonic. SRM: 70, IBU: 85, 9.75% ABV, Special Release February 2010, hand written "590"/1000.

Thanks a ton to Onenote81 for sending this bottle my way!

Before I start I may also note that I almost had a heart attack when I opened the box then the sealed garbage bag inside to find dark, chocolate-smelling beer all over stuff. The Sexual Chocolate didn't even appear to have a leak and nothing was broken. Hmm. Taking no chances, I had Todd over asap to have this.

A - Completely black with a dense cascading head. Totally whipped coffee tan and dense bubbles. Solid retention with thick webbing clumps of lace left over.

S - The nose is rich with roasted malts; chocolate and black patent. It already smells like it'll be silky smooth with a rich milk chocolate nose and a light cream hint. Coffee is noticeable in a sort-of burnt way but not aggressive like coffee was added.

T - Milky smooth rich roasted malts with a bold but well-balanced roasted malt strength. The chocolate is there but not as bold as I expected. Low hints of vanilla, cocoa, and coffee appear but they are all mellow.

M - Very velvety smooth with a full body and a rich, malty sweetness and very light dry and roasted bitter finish. So smooth and near throat-coating.

D - A good Russian imperial stout with a very easy drinkability for both how rich it is an how smooth/thick it is. No alcohol flavor hits at all.

BeerFMAndy, Mar 03, 2010

This is a good beer, but I was more impressed with Foothills contribution to Old Rabbits Foote than this. I had a 2009 and 2010 side by side to see the differences, the 2009 blew the 2010 out of the water.

Both have a dark black body with brown edges. The 09 has thinned out a bit and looks more watered down. They both pour with half finger heads, neither stay around. The 09 had some nice ABV legs while the 2010 just sat there with a few bubbles.

The smells of both were pleasant with chocolate being a strong character. In the 2009 dark fruits were starting to show that made the brew more complex. The whole thing about the 2009 was that it had more complexities that made it a better beer. The 2010 smelt like malts with chocolate and lots of bitter coffee. The 2010 was more coffee forward and the bitterness deriving from that coffee was making it a one sided coffee stout that was boring.

The taste of the 2010 was very bland and had bitter coffee bean earth taste that was very direct. It had some hops in there as well, but nothing really worth remembering. The 2009 was evolving into a different beast altogether. It had lots of dark sweet fruits and a bit of a creaminess that was enjoyable. Although the 2009 was more astringent, it had a nice mellow milk chocolate taste that was enjoyable. The 2009 had a complexity that made each sip different, and actually saved the tasting all together. Chocolate, coffee, dark fruits, all played a part.

The mouthfeel was astringent and thin, not really a palate wrecker. There was coffee bitterness in both that was interesting, as well as sugars in the 2009. Way too thin for my liking. The drinkability was good, but the 2010 took longer to finish. I honestly cannot believe that this is a "release day beer" and that people go crazy for it. I thought Old Rabbits Foote puts this beer to shame, which makes you think how much of ORF has Sexual Chocolate in it? Either way, I was surprised at what I drank and a bit disappointed.
J

Jmoore50, Mar 02, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks to pecorasc for opening this one. Bottled Feb 2010. Bottle # 521/1000.

A: Dark black that slightly fades to dark brown around the very edge of the glass. Finger width of head. Thin film on top throughout the entire time I drank this beer.

S: Lots of chocolate. Some hints of nice roasty malts and some dark fruit. Lots of vanilla.

T: Great flavor. Lots of dark chocolate up front, that turns to roastiness in the finish. Picking up some dark fruits and some sweetness too.

M: Medium carbonation, but i marked this down a little because this beer is a little on the thin side.

D: Had good drinkability. RIS at 10%? Didnt really even notice the alcohol. Very well blended beer. Everything works well together.

Good beer overall, and I would definitely drink this again.

boothbeer, Mar 02, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

On tap at the brewery. Poured into an 8 ounce tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a near-black coffee color with a 1 finger dark tan head which dissipates quickly. Almost no lacing.

Smell: Coffee and roasted malt with hints of chocolate and caramel.

Taste: Strong coffee taste up front with hints of caramel and malt. Nice dark chocolate aftertaste with just a hint of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-to-full bodied, nice and creamy. Just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very high considering its high ABV.

Overall: Excellent representation of the style. This is one to seek out. One of the best Imperial Stouts I've ever had the privilege of drinking.

adam42381, Feb 28, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

2010 bottle thanks to Mike. Thanks Mike! 09 and 10 bottles. Pours pitch black with tan head. Aroma is coffee, chocolate, and dark fruit. The 09 had more toffee caramel and butterscotch notes. The 10 had more malt roastiness and hops. Heavy mouthfeel. Flavors followed the nose with both bottles. There were complex layers of roast, chocolate, caramel, and molasses. The toffee caramel flavors were more pronounced in the 1 year aged bottle. That's why I preferred the aged bottle more. Both excellent beers. It reminded me a lot of Cigar City Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout. Great beer.

fiver29, Feb 28, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Barley's in Greenville and Nick's in Clemson, SC.

Pours jet black with a lighter tan 2-finger head. Excellent head retention and nice thick lacing down the glass.

Nose is very big and roasty. Roast malt definitely dominates. Chocolate is a close 2nd in the nose, with alcohol coming in as well.

Very creamy, smooth hit. Dark chocolate malt with faint cherries and raspberries backing it up. The finish has nice hints of sweetness as well as roast flavors. Really nice.

Perfect body. Just what I want in an impy stout.

Great, great sipper. I like this much better on draft than out of the bottle.

beer2day, Feb 27, 2010