Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Wants: 1,211
Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

(Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007)
kirok1999

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Shared by a generous BA at the KBS event at One Eyed Jacks.
Pours a deep black with a brown head that just won't go away.
Smells pretty mildly of chocolate. Some nice roasty notes as well.
Taste is somewhat mild, lots of chocolate, some roasty malts, a bit of hops that are dominated by the malts.
Feels pretty thin. Very surprised by this as were some of the others who sampled.
Nice to drink but there are many stouts that aren't rated as high that are much better.

04-09-2009 03:24:45 | More by kirok1999
Proteus93

4.45/5  rDev +8%

Bottle courtesy of CrellMoset, though he gets to keep the bottle as part of the deal. ;)

A: As black as they come... head is a nice tan colour, forming about a finger tall. Retention is a little weak, holding on quite briefly before falling back to minimal coverage. Some spotty lacing.

S: What a nice scent of cocoa! The nibs take the backbone all the way, and give it a beautiful aroma. Some scents of dark fruit (primarily raisin and maybe a little plum), and coffee are there, but they are more modest and take a bit of a backburner - there is that bit of complexity that I can certainly appreciate, though

T: Bitter dark chocolate, rich toffee, and some notes of espresso coming through. Molasses, and a flavour slightly suggestive of vanilla are noted on towards the finish.

M: The heavier side of medium, it's not as thick, creamy, or oily as some others, but that doesn't cause it any harm in the least. It's still got a full body, with a nice shimmer of carbonation and a slick residue left behind to provide a layer of flavour post-finish.

D: The alcohol can be felt fairly soon on this one, but the spiciness of it is an afterthought. Quite well hidden and, in this case, that's a positive point, I'd say. This is a nice beer... at time of review, it's being enjoyed as a bit of a celebratory brew and that's a good purpose for it. It would also be a stellar dessert brew for something like Valentines Day with a special someone. Something about it has me almost craving chocolate chip cookies to pair with it. Nice stuff, and well worth checking out if the opportunity is there.

04-05-2009 04:19:29 | More by Proteus93
ClockworkOrange

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to Deuane for sharing a bottle of this at his recent tasting party. This bottle is from the first bottle release in 2008 and numbered 410/500. I have had a few samples of this beer here and there at beer festivals, but I'm glad I finally have enough in my glass to finally jot down some of my thoughts about it. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into my glass on 3/21/09. Appears a deep, dark brownish black color with a solid two fingers of tight ecru head. The head lingers in my glass for a few moments before retreating to a thin layer. Smells of rich roasted chocolate malts, caramelized malts, semi-sweet and bittersweet chocolate and molasses. Tastes of cocoa powder, milk chocolate, sweet caramel, molasses, and mocha. Notes of dark fruits such as cherries and raisins are starting to develop and I find this to be a great characteristic in an RIS with some time in the bottle. Rich and full bodied with medium carbonation. This is a satisfying and tasty RIS. Not the best one out there, but really nice nonetheless. Check it out if you can.

03-23-2009 04:12:46 | More by ClockworkOrange
ffejherb

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Bomber from '08 - #410 of 500. Big thanks to Deuane for breaking this out.

A - Poured an oily black body with reddish hues and the bottom and thin light brown head that transformed to a patchy veil and left no lacing on the glass.

S - Dark, chocolatey and malty with cocoa nibbs and some mild earthy notes.

T - Bitter and milk chocolate notes with a healthy dose of cocoa powder. Some earthiness appears in the finish, but adds very little bitterness overall. Most of the bitterness comes from the dark chocolate character.

M - Full bodied and subtly carbonated with a slick, oily texture. Finishes with moderate bitterness on the palate.

D - Very good RIS that I was finally glad to have had the opportunity to review. Is it worth all of the hype? Maybe. But it's not the best stout I've ever had. With that said, Sexual Chocolate is pretty damn good, though!

03-22-2009 15:48:57 | More by ffejherb
johnmichael712

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

While I was at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville today picking up some KBS Jason told me that Barley's down the street still had some Sexual Chocolate on tap. As highly regarded as this brew is I figured I couldn't miss out on this opportunity so I headed down the road to grab myself a glass. I had the beer at 3:30 pm so there was no smoke or anything in the air to cloud my nose and lots of light to see the beer. This review is from my notes.

Appearance: Brought to my table in a 10.5 oz. goblet. This beer is a dark, dark black color, and while it's hard to say if it's the blackest beer I've ever had it is definitely up there. The head was a gorgeous dark brown color, darker than chocolate milk with a wonderful soft, pillowy texture. The head is also very sticky and as I drank it left enormous amounts of lace on the glass, at times almost blanketing the entire glass.

Smell: The nose of this beer is full of different aromas, the strongest of which is dark chocolate. It also has the usual chocolate/espresso interplay that Russian Imperial Stouts have, and these aromas are supplemented by notes of blackstrap molasses, treacle toffee, and raisins.

Taste: With the first sip of this beer I realize that it definitely deserves its reputation. It starts off with a wonderful sweet chocolate flavor, moves to a strong dark malt flavor, and finishes with just a bit of hop bitterness. That may sound pretty standard, but what sets this beer apart from other stouts is how well Foothills has balanced out these flavors. The chocolate is sweet but not milky, the malt is roasted but not at all charred like some beers, and the hops are prevalent enough to taste but faint enough to give this beer an excellent finish that, even after the full goblet, was never bitter. Unlike some Russian Imperial Stouts that are so hoppy in the finish they destroy your palate this one is, as Goldilocks said, "just right".

Mouthfeel: This is one exceptionally creamy beer. The mouthfeel is somewhat akin to what I can imagine drinking liquid cream would be like, and it is so creamy it reminds me of a milk stout. The carbonation is also very low, further giving this beer a thick, luscious mouthfeel. Overall an ungodly creamy, yet full-bodied, brew and I feel like only a 5 fully does the mouthfeel of this beer justice.

Drinkability: There is absolutely no taste of the 10% ABV in this beer, and compared to the Storm King Imperial Stout I drank last night this beer is much more drinkable, which is saying a lot considering I gave Storm King a 4.5 in that category. This beer, however, deserves the 5 that it will receive from me.

Notes: Overall I was very impressed with this beer, and my only complaint is that I didn't get a chance to buy any bottles during this year's release. I love stouts, and there are lots of good ones out there, but Foothills Sexual Chocolate is definitely one of the best. It looks beautiful and smells incredible, but the taste and the mouthfeel are what really set it apart from its peers. If you ever get the chance to sample this beer, don't pass it up; you'll be disappointed if you do.

03-18-2009 23:40:33 | More by johnmichael712
aerozeppl

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Had 4 or 5 samples of this at EBF. From notes.

A: Poured jet black with about a finger of coffee/mocha colored head.

S: The nose was a nice mixture of roasted malts and chocolate. The chocolate really was clear and blasted through the roast though. A touch of an earthy smell but the nose was really clean on this.

T: Chocolate right up front. A mixture of cocoa powder and milk chocolate. Again like the nose the roast is there but chocolate is firmly on the center stage. A nice sweetness runs throughout. You do get a touch of hop bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium to heavy body. A little bit on the dry side.

D: A really drinkable RIS. Glad I got to try this but I don't know if I would give up the farm for this. However if this were local to me I would grab every chance I could to have this. Great beer.

03-17-2009 19:30:15 | More by aerozeppl
paco1029384756

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours black with a short tan head and a nice ring of lacing.

Scent of chocolate, raisins, oats, roasted malts, dark fruit, sugars, and a hint of alcohol. While not particularly impressive it had a good depth and balance as well as some nice complexity.

Taste of bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruit, and molasses. Has a nice bitterness to it with nearly unnoticeable alcohol. A tasty brew worth the price, but not worth the hype.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and heavy bodied with a small amount of carbonation.

03-13-2009 00:41:45 | More by paco1029384756
craytonic

District of Columbia

Bottle 301/500 of 2008 release.

Appearance: Pours pitch black with a surprisingly large, frothy milk-chocolate/espresso head.

Smell: Bitersweet chocolate, molasses, toffee, caramel, dark fruits, roast malts, vanilla, light but not burnt or overbearing coffee. No burn aroma thankfully.

Taste: Delicious. Bitersweet chocolate, like you might find in a chocolate chip cookie. Fudge, molasses, toffee, caramel, roasted malts, a surprising amount of hops, and dark fruits. No burn. Alcohol is well hidden and not noticable.

Mouthfeel: Feels thick. Not dark lord or darkness thick. But I like that it isn't sludge, it really ups the drinkability and makes it a "good" RIS instead of a "how thick can we make it" RIS. Liquid velvet.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable, much more so than most any other RIS, with perhaps the exception of Stone.

I really enjoyed this RIS as part of my dark lord, darkness, Kate the Great, Founders RIS, etc tasting. This was one of the top two, along with dark lord, and handily topped the others. It shines in terms of drinkability. While others seem to play the game of how thick can we make it, imparting 2" of sludge in the bottom of the bottle to impress beer geeks, foothills seems to have set out to create an excellent RIS, instead of the biggest RIS possible. So much better than Kate the Great it isn't even funny. Actually lives up to the hype.
4/4/4.5/4.5/4.5

---
Quick note, I have lowered my score a bit as 09/10 both had a strong char/burt character too them, a bit acridic, and I did not enjoy them nearly as much.

03-12-2009 17:23:15 | More by craytonic
emerge077

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Review from notes, thanks to Jay23 for the sample...

Obsidian black body, with a lasting head of sticky foam. Spotty lace deposited around the edges. Notes of fruity plum and lactic milk chocolate notes. Flavors of rich chocolate and hints of coffee, with a flaky pastry middle, and a very smooth lactic feel. Some mild roastiness that lingers long in the dry aftertaste. Well crafted, with each sip I wanted more. A fine RIS, maybe not the best i've tried, but truly solid...

03-10-2009 01:03:54 | More by emerge077
sonicdescent

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

2009 batch courtesy Photekut.

Pours an exceptional black with no highlights and a reasonably sized head of tan foam.

Smells of molasses and chocolate, an some earthy aroma.

Tastes very strongly of molasses, with a roasted malt aftertaste. Cream is present as well. Booze does not rear it's head. Strangely enough considering it's name, there isn't much in the way of chocolate in the taste. No real hop presence.

Mouth is medium bodied an carbonation. Would have liked this to be thicker.

This one goes down extremely easy but considering the difficulty in obtaining one, let's just say I am glass to have tried it once.

03-08-2009 18:03:58 | More by sonicdescent
treyrab

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to jac5084 for bringing this one out last night. I can't remember the bottle number but it was in the two hundreds. Poured this into two unbranded snifters.

A: This one is amazingly photogenic. Looks like a perfect RIS: pitch black with barely no brown around the edges, even when held up to a bright light. An incredibly creamy, frothy and sticky dark khaki head forms and sticks around for quite a bit. Impeccable.

S: The smell was a tad disappointment. Smell is initially dry roasted coffee, slight dry cocoa powder and hops. The hops thew me off, but as I continued to smell it, I really started to enjoy the bitterness that the hops were contributing to the smell. This is the second hoppiest smelling RIS, second only to Darkness.

T: Taste is very dry, but very smooth. Taste is like an imperial coffee stout. Tons of dry roasted coffee in the taste coupled with very dry cocoa powder (cocoa nibs?). As far as fruit flavors go, I could not depict any in the taste. It is a simple taste, but very smooth and enjoyable.

D: This is one of the most drinkable RIS I have ever had. I drank this one way too fast as it was so smooth and the alcohol was nowhere in sight.

Overall, this is a great RIS. I wish it was more readily available, because this was so drinkable and I could have one every night.

03-05-2009 19:55:48 | More by treyrab
DrDogbeer

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from 2008 bottle #20 / 500. Thanks to Atlbeerdog for this treat! Poured into a tulip. Pours a jet black- I meannothing getting through this puppy even when held up to the light. Great dark tan, creamy head. Smells faintly of some coffee, some burnt malts, and dark fruit. This does not have a "strong" aroma, though. I really have to try to get some smells. Taste is of bitter coffee, bitter dark chocolate, espresso, some raisin and a bit of a hop bite at the end. This is quite a bit more bitter than I was looking for. Could be the espresso. Not the creamiest IS I have had either. Overall, a good Coffee/Chocolate stout.

03-03-2009 17:07:11 | More by DrDogbeer
HeyItsChili

China

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Procured this mean mama from the Charleston Beer Exchange's Foothills kickoff.

A - Poured from a growler into a Foothills pint glass (three cheers for free schwag!). Pours black with a sparkly, creamy brown head.

S - Chocolaty goodness seducing my nose holes. There's a bit of molasses and dark fruit in there as well.

T - The initial taste is cocoa (not powdered, mind you, this beer is cold fused with cocoa nibs, giving it a much better flavor than some other chocolaty brews) with some malty undertones, just a hint of dark fruit, some molasses, then settling into a sweet dark chocolate aftertaste that lingers with just the faintest hint of hops.

M - Velvety, medium bodied with decent carbonation.

Notes - Appeals to my sweet tooth, as good as advertised. Blaxploitation just popped me in the mouth.

02-28-2009 04:51:04 | More by HeyItsChili
taylorhamrick

South Carolina

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a pitch black color. Even the little stream from the mouth of the growler is pitch black, maybe with a bit of brown highlights. The head is thick and brown and it rises up and stays around. There isn't much lacing, but that's about the only thing that's missing. The smell seemed immediately to be full of carbonation, it smelled kind of dry which surprised me. There is a decent bit of roasted and sweet notes, but the smell doesn't keep you all too interested. The taste is definitely full of roasted barley, which is very nice (better than a bunch of black patent). The chocolate nibs fills this one out, you get the taste of chocolate, but not a lot of sweetness, and it fills the whole thing up. It has a bit of lingering sweetness mixed in with some roasted coffee bitterness. Very pleasant, but just a bit more chocolatey sweetness, like chocolate malt or dark crystal, would really put this out into outer space, but at this point its a bit dry. The taste is really just like a bar of bitter black chocolate. Like I mentioned, this is very full, really wonderful, like thick, viscous syrup. I love the feeling, until the dryness hits. I mean, for a style like an RIS, dryness just isn't nice. I really couldn't pull myself away from this. There's room for improvement, but I really enjoyed working through this growler, and would do it again in a heartbeat. $20 for 4 pints, I think that's better than everyone who waited in line paid.

02-27-2009 23:33:23 | More by taylorhamrick
discovolante65

Rhode Island

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

I have heard of this from the forums, but wasn't keyed in on the hype or anything. I went to the Flying Saucer in Raleigh and they happened to have it on tap, so I went for it.

Nice 3/4 head of tan/cream and coffee color. nice little bubbles.
There could be something living in here, but you wouldn't see it. This thing absorbs the light around it.

Good cocoa smell, some molasses, little bit of coffee, and, I swear, dried smoking tobacco.

Taste is surprisingly more roasted maltiness than chocolate. The chocolate is there, but it's more milk chocolate than the nose would have you believe. I like the slight hop presence I swear I can "Smaste" dried smoking tobacco. Guy with me says its made in Winston-Salem, must be a pre-req for all products leaving the area!

I think the mouthfeel is slightly thin, this was my only disappointment with it. It is smooth and creamy, but a little too watery.

Drinkability is all there. This bar has so much on tap that I had to try other things, otherwise, I would have kept drinking this one. Wish it was more readily available. Good RIS. Not sure what all the hype is about. Goddamn beer trekkies!!

02-24-2009 15:53:23 | More by discovolante65
joepais

Maine

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this one. 2008 bottle 92 of 500 poured into a snifter. It produced a finger worth of tan head. That went to a slight ring of tan bubbles around the glass the body was a classic black stout color.

The aromas of dark chocolate coffee and some molasses filled my head. The more it warms the more the sweet molasses comes through with the chocolate

The flavor is very sweet the molasses is dominant as well in the taste. Nice chocolate notes as well as a slight coffee bitter. No carbonation but thick in the mouth so it is right where I like my stouts to be in the mouthfeel department.

This is a great stout, great chocolate flavor with enough sweetness in it to keep it interesting. I am truly enjoying this bomber while sipping this last glass. A must try to any stout lover; I know I grab another one in the future.

02-22-2009 02:07:33 | More by joepais
tmoneyba

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Bottle shared at local BA tasting.

Poured a black color with a large frothy brown head that mostly lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy roasted coffee and chocolate aroma. Medium to full body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation. Medium to heavy roasted bittersweet flavor with a medium to heavy bittersweet finish of moderate to long duration.

This is a standout beer.

02-21-2009 20:34:14 | More by tmoneyba
Onenote81

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Had this on tap at the pub itself. I stood in line for the release, but thought I'd save the bottles I got and get it on tap instead. Glad to see there's still some left.

Came out a 10oz pour. This baby was jet black. Absolutely no light coming through, even on the edges. Nice inch-sized head resting comfortably on top. Retention was superb, and it left perfect sip rings on glass edge after each sip. Beautiful.

Smelled of cocoa, some wine-like scent, slight coffee, faint alcohol, and earth. I can't wait to delve into this wonderful brew! Mouthfeel was thin in my mind. I wished it was a bit thicker. When a beer is this "heavy" in appearance, ABV, and quality, I want to feel like I need to chew it. Ah well, that's the weakest part of this beer, and that's not too bad.

Tastes wonderfully chocolatey. I had heard that this years version was lacking in the cocoa dept., but not in my experience. Definitive chocolate presence, followed by a crisp hop bite, but not overly so. Warm bready taste in there as well. This is very well-done. I actually had my expectations lowered due to some hear-say, but I think this beer is wonderful. I can't wait to let some of my bottles age and give them a try in a year or so.

02-20-2009 22:24:06 | More by Onenote81
mbrasi

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Receive bottle via trade (52/600) cap was leaking when I got it so I had to open it qucik :( Aroma is chocolate, coffee, and sticky molasses. Such a great aroma that fills the air when poured. Flavor is exceptional. Balanced, not too much chocolate. Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and some alcohol but in a complementary fashion not overpowering. Smooth, creamy and rich mouthfeel with light carbonation. Great for an impy. It's sad that I'm going to lose this fine brew through the process of digestion.

02-20-2009 12:33:10 | More by mbrasi
chaz410

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Wow, got "these" on tap at the Flying Saucer at Charlotte NC. I say "these" because we had the 08 and 09 barrels. These are amazing beers and I'll try to do an honest rating for both and the overall beer line regardless of year.

Appearance is perfect for an RIS. It's dark with a creamy tan head that's still there enough half way through the beer to still be considered head.

The smell on both years is nice and roasted with obvious cocoa chocolate lacing and roasted coffee notes. The smell on the 09 is a little more crisp with hops and the 08 is more malty and robust.

The flavor is fantastic on this beer. It has great chocolate and cocoa essence but it doesn't forget that it is a Russion Imperial Stout. It is still robust, malty, roasted coffee, and sweet dark chocolate flavored and the 09 hits with some hops at the end that crisp up the taste then blend into a great chocolate background. The 08 is more subtle and warm and starts with mostly chocolate and roasted peat and blends into a subtle cocoa coffee flavor with little hops at the end. I personally prefer the aged version but the new version is definitely worth the taste.

The drinkability of the beer is off the charts considering the amount of flavor profile and abv. I would recommend this beer to ANYONE regardless of their preferences. It's sexual chocolate baby...how could you go wrong!?

02-19-2009 03:17:28 | More by chaz410
stoutfiend27

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

on tap....10 oz pour.. 2-14-09 at foothills

a-jet black with a nice mocha colored head about 1/4 inch

s- roasted cocoa and caramel....toasted malt and slight vanilla

t-initial taste is malt and chocolate then the hop sting comes in slightly but everything is balanced well

m-oil and resiny like a ris should be

d- had two... could have had another had i not had to drive an hour and a half back home...

overall a good ris...is it the best ive ever had? no but it was worth the drive to try....the only the odd thing to me is that my experience with ris is that the more they warm the more flavors come out i actuall prefer 90% of my ris at room temp...but this seemed to lose a little flavor the more it warmed which threw me off slightly but congrats to foothills for another great brew...

02-16-2009 00:00:12 | More by stoutfiend27
libbekat

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

You know you are a beer nerd when you stand in line for a beer for over three hours. I guess the fact that I will do it again next year says it all.
You are only allowed to buy four bottles. Of course I wanted to save mine for special occasions. Valentine's Day seemed like a great reason to crack one open.
The beer is beautiful to behold in the glass. It pours slightly thick and makes a beautiful toffee colored head. With a name like Sexual Chocolate you would think that it would have a strong chocolate nose. It doesn't. Slight chocolate but a stronger alcohol smell overwhelms that.

Even though the smell contains a lot of alcohol it doesn't overwhelm in the taste. The chocolate isn't as strong as the coffee. But then Sexual Coffee doesn't sound as good. The finish is smooth and pretty mellow.

Is it the best RIS I have ever had? No.
Worth three hours of standing in line? I had a great time hanging out with the other beer nerds. Everyone brought their favorite beers and were open to sharing. Like I said....I'll be back.

02-15-2009 15:06:44 | More by libbekat
Yetiman420

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

3 oz pour during a BA tasting of a variety of outstanding beers.

Dark, like your would expect from a stout. Head minimized due to sampling glass.

Minimal aroma. With a name like sexual chocolate, I was expecting more than the aroma of a good porter. Some roastiness and slight coffee aroma.

Taste. This is a Russian Imperial Stout? If I did this blind, I'd call it a good baltic porter. The only thing positive about the taste and mouthfeel is how smooth it was for a 10% beer. With an imperial stout, I'm looking for much more body and intensity. Watery and mild coffee were the two flavor drivers of this 2009 experience.

Edit: Drank this right after a Ballast Point Sea Monster Stout which may account for my perceived lacking of SC. In any event, it did not hold up well against another big stout.

02-13-2009 04:00:11 | More by Yetiman420
rtratzlaff

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

This pours a pitch black body with the slightest light coming through the very edges when held to the afternoon sunlight creating sparks of ruby tones.

The aroma is sharp and sweet with bittersweet chocolate and prunes.

The flavor is complex. Dark fruit, roastiness, coffee, chocolate. The finish is mainly that roastiness which comes off as extra dark chocolate.

The mouthfeel is thick, but not overly so. The body leads to good tongue coating which allows flavors to really stick around and morph from one flavor to another.

A very hyped beer that you can brag if you have. All in all a good RIS. Worthy of craze? No.Worthy of praise? Yes.

02-12-2009 20:56:48 | More by rtratzlaff
MMAJYK

Georgia

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

2008 Vintage served the day before the release at Foothills.

A. Jet black with a medium brown fluffy head. The head is very sheety down the sides of the glass leaving rings on every sip.

S. Cocoa, milk chocolate, cream, and coffee.

T. Rich milk chocolate with a nice coffee accent. Very smooth-smoother than the 09-and well blended. A touch of raisins and cream round out the taste.

M. Thick and chewy, oatmeal like. Very slick, though, and creamy.

D. For a big beer, this is way too drinkable. I could hurt myself on this one. Believe the hype, people.

02-11-2009 23:20:12 | More by MMAJYK