Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Wants: 1,206
Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

(Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
taylorhamrick

South Carolina

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a pitch black color. Even the little stream from the mouth of the growler is pitch black, maybe with a bit of brown highlights. The head is thick and brown and it rises up and stays around. There isn't much lacing, but that's about the only thing that's missing. The smell seemed immediately to be full of carbonation, it smelled kind of dry which surprised me. There is a decent bit of roasted and sweet notes, but the smell doesn't keep you all too interested. The taste is definitely full of roasted barley, which is very nice (better than a bunch of black patent). The chocolate nibs fills this one out, you get the taste of chocolate, but not a lot of sweetness, and it fills the whole thing up. It has a bit of lingering sweetness mixed in with some roasted coffee bitterness. Very pleasant, but just a bit more chocolatey sweetness, like chocolate malt or dark crystal, would really put this out into outer space, but at this point its a bit dry. The taste is really just like a bar of bitter black chocolate. Like I mentioned, this is very full, really wonderful, like thick, viscous syrup. I love the feeling, until the dryness hits. I mean, for a style like an RIS, dryness just isn't nice. I really couldn't pull myself away from this. There's room for improvement, but I really enjoyed working through this growler, and would do it again in a heartbeat. $20 for 4 pints, I think that's better than everyone who waited in line paid.

Serving type: growler

02-27-2009 23:33:23 | More by taylorhamrick
discovolante65

Rhode Island

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

I have heard of this from the forums, but wasn't keyed in on the hype or anything. I went to the Flying Saucer in Raleigh and they happened to have it on tap, so I went for it.

Nice 3/4 head of tan/cream and coffee color. nice little bubbles.
There could be something living in here, but you wouldn't see it. This thing absorbs the light around it.

Good cocoa smell, some molasses, little bit of coffee, and, I swear, dried smoking tobacco.

Taste is surprisingly more roasted maltiness than chocolate. The chocolate is there, but it's more milk chocolate than the nose would have you believe. I like the slight hop presence I swear I can "Smaste" dried smoking tobacco. Guy with me says its made in Winston-Salem, must be a pre-req for all products leaving the area!

I think the mouthfeel is slightly thin, this was my only disappointment with it. It is smooth and creamy, but a little too watery.

Drinkability is all there. This bar has so much on tap that I had to try other things, otherwise, I would have kept drinking this one. Wish it was more readily available. Good RIS. Not sure what all the hype is about. Goddamn beer trekkies!!

02-24-2009 15:53:23 | More by discovolante65
joepais

Maine

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this one. 2008 bottle 92 of 500 poured into a snifter. It produced a finger worth of tan head. That went to a slight ring of tan bubbles around the glass the body was a classic black stout color.

The aromas of dark chocolate coffee and some molasses filled my head. The more it warms the more the sweet molasses comes through with the chocolate

The flavor is very sweet the molasses is dominant as well in the taste. Nice chocolate notes as well as a slight coffee bitter. No carbonation but thick in the mouth so it is right where I like my stouts to be in the mouthfeel department.

This is a great stout, great chocolate flavor with enough sweetness in it to keep it interesting. I am truly enjoying this bomber while sipping this last glass. A must try to any stout lover; I know I grab another one in the future.

02-22-2009 02:07:33 | More by joepais
tmoneyba

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared at local BA tasting.

Poured a black color with a large frothy brown head that mostly lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy roasted coffee and chocolate aroma. Medium to full body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation. Medium to heavy roasted bittersweet flavor with a medium to heavy bittersweet finish of moderate to long duration.

This is a standout beer.

02-21-2009 20:34:14 | More by tmoneyba
Onenote81

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Had this on tap at the pub itself. I stood in line for the release, but thought I'd save the bottles I got and get it on tap instead. Glad to see there's still some left.

Came out a 10oz pour. This baby was jet black. Absolutely no light coming through, even on the edges. Nice inch-sized head resting comfortably on top. Retention was superb, and it left perfect sip rings on glass edge after each sip. Beautiful.

Smelled of cocoa, some wine-like scent, slight coffee, faint alcohol, and earth. I can't wait to delve into this wonderful brew! Mouthfeel was thin in my mind. I wished it was a bit thicker. When a beer is this "heavy" in appearance, ABV, and quality, I want to feel like I need to chew it. Ah well, that's the weakest part of this beer, and that's not too bad.

Tastes wonderfully chocolatey. I had heard that this years version was lacking in the cocoa dept., but not in my experience. Definitive chocolate presence, followed by a crisp hop bite, but not overly so. Warm bready taste in there as well. This is very well-done. I actually had my expectations lowered due to some hear-say, but I think this beer is wonderful. I can't wait to let some of my bottles age and give them a try in a year or so.

02-20-2009 22:24:06 | More by Onenote81
mbrasi

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Receive bottle via trade (52/600) cap was leaking when I got it so I had to open it qucik :( Aroma is chocolate, coffee, and sticky molasses. Such a great aroma that fills the air when poured. Flavor is exceptional. Balanced, not too much chocolate. Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and some alcohol but in a complementary fashion not overpowering. Smooth, creamy and rich mouthfeel with light carbonation. Great for an impy. It's sad that I'm going to lose this fine brew through the process of digestion.

02-20-2009 12:33:10 | More by mbrasi
chaz410

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Wow, got "these" on tap at the Flying Saucer at Charlotte NC. I say "these" because we had the 08 and 09 barrels. These are amazing beers and I'll try to do an honest rating for both and the overall beer line regardless of year.

Appearance is perfect for an RIS. It's dark with a creamy tan head that's still there enough half way through the beer to still be considered head.

The smell on both years is nice and roasted with obvious cocoa chocolate lacing and roasted coffee notes. The smell on the 09 is a little more crisp with hops and the 08 is more malty and robust.

The flavor is fantastic on this beer. It has great chocolate and cocoa essence but it doesn't forget that it is a Russion Imperial Stout. It is still robust, malty, roasted coffee, and sweet dark chocolate flavored and the 09 hits with some hops at the end that crisp up the taste then blend into a great chocolate background. The 08 is more subtle and warm and starts with mostly chocolate and roasted peat and blends into a subtle cocoa coffee flavor with little hops at the end. I personally prefer the aged version but the new version is definitely worth the taste.

The drinkability of the beer is off the charts considering the amount of flavor profile and abv. I would recommend this beer to ANYONE regardless of their preferences. It's sexual chocolate baby...how could you go wrong!?

02-19-2009 03:17:28 | More by chaz410
stoutfiend27

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

on tap....10 oz pour.. 2-14-09 at foothills

a-jet black with a nice mocha colored head about 1/4 inch

s- roasted cocoa and caramel....toasted malt and slight vanilla

t-initial taste is malt and chocolate then the hop sting comes in slightly but everything is balanced well

m-oil and resiny like a ris should be

d- had two... could have had another had i not had to drive an hour and a half back home...

overall a good ris...is it the best ive ever had? no but it was worth the drive to try....the only the odd thing to me is that my experience with ris is that the more they warm the more flavors come out i actuall prefer 90% of my ris at room temp...but this seemed to lose a little flavor the more it warmed which threw me off slightly but congrats to foothills for another great brew...

02-16-2009 00:00:12 | More by stoutfiend27
libbekat

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

You know you are a beer nerd when you stand in line for a beer for over three hours. I guess the fact that I will do it again next year says it all.
You are only allowed to buy four bottles. Of course I wanted to save mine for special occasions. Valentine's Day seemed like a great reason to crack one open.
The beer is beautiful to behold in the glass. It pours slightly thick and makes a beautiful toffee colored head. With a name like Sexual Chocolate you would think that it would have a strong chocolate nose. It doesn't. Slight chocolate but a stronger alcohol smell overwhelms that.

Even though the smell contains a lot of alcohol it doesn't overwhelm in the taste. The chocolate isn't as strong as the coffee. But then Sexual Coffee doesn't sound as good. The finish is smooth and pretty mellow.

Is it the best RIS I have ever had? No.
Worth three hours of standing in line? I had a great time hanging out with the other beer nerds. Everyone brought their favorite beers and were open to sharing. Like I said....I'll be back.

02-15-2009 15:06:44 | More by libbekat
Yetiman420

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

3 oz pour during a BA tasting of a variety of outstanding beers.

Dark, like your would expect from a stout. Head minimized due to sampling glass.

Minimal aroma. With a name like sexual chocolate, I was expecting more than the aroma of a good porter. Some roastiness and slight coffee aroma.

Taste. This is a Russian Imperial Stout? If I did this blind, I'd call it a good baltic porter. The only thing positive about the taste and mouthfeel is how smooth it was for a 10% beer. With an imperial stout, I'm looking for much more body and intensity. Watery and mild coffee were the two flavor drivers of this 2009 experience.

Edit: Drank this right after a Ballast Point Sea Monster Stout which may account for my perceived lacking of SC. In any event, it did not hold up well against another big stout.

02-13-2009 04:00:11 | More by Yetiman420
rtratzlaff

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

This pours a pitch black body with the slightest light coming through the very edges when held to the afternoon sunlight creating sparks of ruby tones.

The aroma is sharp and sweet with bittersweet chocolate and prunes.

The flavor is complex. Dark fruit, roastiness, coffee, chocolate. The finish is mainly that roastiness which comes off as extra dark chocolate.

The mouthfeel is thick, but not overly so. The body leads to good tongue coating which allows flavors to really stick around and morph from one flavor to another.

A very hyped beer that you can brag if you have. All in all a good RIS. Worthy of craze? No.Worthy of praise? Yes.

02-12-2009 20:56:48 | More by rtratzlaff
MMAJYK

Georgia

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2008 Vintage served the day before the release at Foothills.

A. Jet black with a medium brown fluffy head. The head is very sheety down the sides of the glass leaving rings on every sip.

S. Cocoa, milk chocolate, cream, and coffee.

T. Rich milk chocolate with a nice coffee accent. Very smooth-smoother than the 09-and well blended. A touch of raisins and cream round out the taste.

M. Thick and chewy, oatmeal like. Very slick, though, and creamy.

D. For a big beer, this is way too drinkable. I could hurt myself on this one. Believe the hype, people.

02-11-2009 23:20:12 | More by MMAJYK
beachbum1975

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

Had a couple of these on tap on Sexual Chocolate Day 09 (2/7/2009). 2008 Vintage

Poured into a Foothills nonic a highly viscous black with a nice creamy tan head. The head wasn't too big, maybe 1/8 inch, but looked very inviting.

Smells of heavily roasted malts, dark chocolate, sweet molasses, mild coffee and an overall pleasing sweetness.

VERY smooth and easy to drink. Much like the nose and all wrapped together very gracefully. Age did this beer well and in my opinion, 1 year aging is where it hits its' prime (Though I have not had the 09 fresh yet).

The mouthfeel was lightly creamy and think bodied, but not too thin. Just the right amount to make this dangerously drinkable. Alcohol was masterfully hidden, so watch out...

Highly drinkable and highly recommended. Smooth as silk.

02-10-2009 16:01:57 | More by beachbum1975
ncstateplaya

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

2008

Black as night, blacker than any coffee you could imagine. A great peanut butter head directly out of the tap. The head seemed to have lightened as it dissipated, forming a sweet ring around the surface. There was no lacing to speak of. This beer would have been so much sexier had it filled an imperial pint glass, but I digress.

Sexual chocolate is definitely more coffee forward altough there is plenty of bitter chocolate in the background. There is a nice smokiness about it...it truely smells dark and chewy.

The smokiness and coffee flavors steal the show. Very malty with just enough hops. Nutty flavors persist and you can sense just a touch of alcohol on the finish.

A little less than perfect, I found it to be medium bodied with great carbonation. It is very smooth and the carbonation tickles on its way down. The only downer is that it was much lighter than I had expected and hoped for.

Extremely high drinkability. It is by no means a filling beer. I could easily drink bombers by the pair, unfortunately I was 7 people late this year. So I guess I have to settle for the few on tap.

02-09-2009 18:47:25 | More by ncstateplaya
bhalter8

Georgia

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

I was thrilled to try the 2008 on tap at the 2009 bottle release. After standing in line for hours, I can safely say it was well worth it. Poured into a snifter, it is a deep, dark ink black color and a fairly thin dark brown head. It sure looks incredible, and smell doesn't let down either, the intense chocolate, burnt coffee, and strong malts combine to make quite the enticing aroma. This 2008 vintage blows you away in the taste department. It seems the alcohol has muted enough to allow all the other flavor components, the chocolate, the coffee, the malts, to overtake the flavor. It is a dense beer, but far thinner than the 2009 release, I assume due to aging. The subdued carbonization is also nice. All combine to make strong RIS, in both flavor and ABV, that still tastes, and drinks easy. I am thoroughly impressed, and may now have to hold off those '09 bottles for a while.

02-08-2009 18:27:21 | More by bhalter8
scifan

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

So excited to finally try this. Me and the wife went today and scored eight bottles of this truly wonderful stuff. I hope it's good as we waited about three hours for it. Meet some wonderful people and drank some awesome beers. Anyway back to the review.

Poured jet black into a sniffer. A nice head forms but fades fairly quickly to a small foamy ring. Leaves little to no lacing as I consume this heavenly stout.

Smells great. Some nice chocolate aromas that blends well with some coffee notes as well. picking up a little alcohol as well but just barely. Wish the nose was a little bigger on this one. what is there is good but wanted more

There are some nice chocolate flavors in there maybe not as much as the name would suggest but they are there. Blends well with lovely coffee and a hint of dark molasses. Has some nice sweetness on the front followed by a bitter coffee and alcohol. Lovely beer.

Feels very nice in the mouth. Very smooth and creamy at first but a little thin in the finish. Would like a little more heft at the end.

Very drinkable at almost 10 percent I can detect very little alcohol at all. This stuff is going down way to easy. Better be careful there won't be anymore till next year.

02-08-2009 04:32:24 | More by scifan
Klgkenny

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Caveat: this is my first BIG beer release, and after waiting three and a half hours in line, this beer is bound to be excellent. I will make every attempt to be impartial.

Bottle 309/600, 2009 vintage.

This beer is beautiful. On the outside and the inside. The 22 oz bottle has a beautiful label, and it pours a coal black, opaque body into my pint glass. An aggressive pour develops a tall, chunky, khaki head. After slowly dissipating, the head leaves a screen of lace behind.

The aroma is BEAUTIFUL! Chocolate, molasses, and coffee blend into something heavenly. My only gripe is that the smell isn't BIG enough.

Tastes like chocolate and molasses. A slight aftertaste of bitter, day old coffe grinds. Near the end, a wash of alcohol cleanses the sweetness leaving behind the acrid coffee taste.

On the frontside, this beer is creamy and bold in the mouth, but on the back end, it seems to thin out. I'd love to have a thicker, more substantial texture out of this.

If it were readily available, this would stand comfortably as a special occasion sipper, but with the limited release (600 bottles this year) it's really a once a year type thing... And I can't wait for a special occasion, so happy saturday to me.

02-08-2009 01:18:37 | More by Klgkenny
StarlightSeraph

4.45/5  rDev +8%

Had on tap at Foothills this morning...

Appearance: Jet black, with a thin, chocolate brown head. I didn't see the pour, but a good quarter-inch of head lingered for the entire glass. Decent lacing.

Smell: Chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, hints of the alcohol seeping through.

Taste: Wow. Incredibly smooth, especially for a 10.00 ABV. The alcohol is hidden well. A little bit of it still comes through, but it doesn't do anything to take away from the taste. Roasted malts dominate, with layers of subtle chocolate in the background. I wouldn't consider this a 'chocolate flavored beer', per se, but there are chocolate hints.

Mouthfeel: EXACTLY how a RIS should feel. Incredibly thick and creamy, and perfectly carbonated. Coated the inside of the mouth, keeping the taste lingering.

Drinkability: Exceptionally smooth. Dangerously drinkable for an RIS. It is an exceptional beer, well worth the hype, and it's unfortunate it's only available once a year.

NOTE: Foothills also had some of the '08 vintage on tap, and I was fortunate enough to sample that next to the '09. It was much mellower, and the chocolate notes were not nearly as present. It's a much different experience, and personally, I think I like this beer better fresh.

02-07-2009 21:55:44 | More by StarlightSeraph
CrellMoset

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Sexual Chocolate, on tap at Foothills Brewing Company on the release night. Served (the first glass) in a 10 oz. footed nonic, as well as (the second glass) in a 10 oz. goblet.

Appearance: When this one arrived, there was no head remaining on it (the second glass did come with some head, and though it was nice, with a fine-bubble structure, a relatively robust-colored cocoa brown). There was, however, a nice healthy sheen of snow a relatively full, deep cocoa collar. The color of the body itself is deep, robust, coffee-like, though some light does seep through around the peripheries, rendering the body a lighter ruby brown. The lacing is a little weak, however, speckly, a little runny, blob-like and isolated.

Aroma: Very earthy, and though the chocolate is definitely there, it's almost more toast than cocoa. Tons of bitter notes are also present, not hop like, but more a result of the earthy, toasted astringencies.

Taste: Tons of bitter astringencies lend a definite air of bittersweet chocolate, though with plenty of toast, a strong milky impression, coffee, faint fruits - perhaps currants, perhaps raisins, but darker - and no alcohol at all. No burn, no prickle. Very nice. Though the name is perhaps not apropos - this one definitely isn't overwhelmingly chocolately (it's no Choklat), it's nice. Also, it definitely improves as it warms, borderline 4.5. Okay, 4.5 it is.

Mouthfeel: Very full, and incredibly well-carbonated in a surprisingly not-that-thick body. The carbonation makes it almost light and ethereal in places. It's nonetheless very even, smooth. Tone down the carbonation ever so slightly, and it'd be a perfectly creamy, even 5.0.

Drinkability: For an RIS? A definite 4.5. The 10.0% is nowhere to be found; the flavors aren't too intense, too over the top; it's not too thick, too sweet, too creamy, too heavy. It's just a nice, flavorful, smooth, well-carbonated RIS. I easily downed two glasses of this one, and could have gone for several more. If you're in the area, get this one on tap while you can. And if you can trade for a bottle, do it. I'd love to see what this one does with a little bit of age on it, see if the bitterness fades a little - I'll be picking up plenty of bottles to test out that theory.

02-07-2009 04:53:17 | More by CrellMoset
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

"Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place."

--Billy Crystal

Bottle 343/500. Roasted coffee bean black with no highlights whatsoever. It's impossible to rank the biggest beer black holes of all-time, but this one has to be in the top dozen or so. The impressive, stately crown is the color of milk chocolate mousse and looks to be equally as creamy. It's also plastering the glass with shredded sheets of lace that stick like glue.

The nose is *almost* everything that anyone could possibly want in an RIS. Although the beer doesn't smell as overwhelmingly chocolate-like as anticipated, that isn't necessarily a negative. Other than bittersweet chocolate... dark toffee, dark fruit and molasses seem especially prominent.

Sexual Chocolate is excellent beer, even if it doesn't quite match the best of the style. The first several mouthfuls tell me that its reputation is well-earned. After having a few ounces at Darkness Day '08, I knew that I had to find a bomber, no matter what it took. Thanks hrking.

It tastes like FBC was shooting for a chocolate-accented RIS rather than a thunderously chocolate double stout like Southern Tier Choklat. I think they're both fantastic in different ways. This one might be more complex (although not necessarily better) since the flavors that accompany hugely roasted malt are allowed to come through.

Those flavors include... dark chocolate fudge flecked with cocoa nibs and crushed coffee beans, blackstrap molasses, raisin paste and tangy plums macerated in Sambucca. Don't start it out too cool because it really opens up as room temperature approaches. Hard to believe the ABV is 9.75%.

It's tempting to nudge the flavor score to the pinnacle, but it falls *just* short. Not so the drinkability score. The body/mouthfeel was slightly disappointing initially. However, it has firmed up and smoothed out over time. Impressively so. As I enter the bottom half of the bomber, it's sensuously smooth and heavily silky. Ooo baby!

Here's hoping that Foothills Brewing has more than 500 bottles in the pipeline for this year's release. It would be great if every RIS loving BA could see what all the fuss is about. There's no question that Sexual Chocolate is one of the great ones.

01-23-2009 22:46:38 | More by BuckeyeNation
TurdFurgison

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Bottle 96/500, courtesy of brdc (thanks Daniel).

I had this side-by-side with several other big and rare stouts (Darkness, Dark Lord, and Kate the Great). Thus I was able to make comparisons which often elude me when imbibing a single bottle in a sitting. In this case I can say that Sexual Chocolate tastes and smells a lot like Dark Lord, but has a less massive mouthfeel (Dark Lord seemed twice as viscous). Dark Lord is a sipper for this very reason, so to me Sexual Chocolate is immensely drinkable.

The beer is dark black with a nice initial 2-finger foam. The smell was not as chocolaty as I expected from the name, but was really rich with malts and dark fruits (like I said, similar to Dark Lord). The taste was really good too, lots of roasted malt, rich with sweetness and a little chocolate, very flavorful. The body was just thick enough in my opinion, even as it seemed less substantial than Dark Lord. Drinkability couldn't be improved for such a large and flavorful stout. It really goes down easily.

01-03-2009 11:32:37 | More by TurdFurgison
weeare138

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Much thanks to Tomdecapolis for breaking out this highly anticipated bottle...
Bottle # 15.
Appears an opaque black with a deep, dark tan head that quickly fades out. Tiny speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of cocoa, ripe fruit, Baker's chocolate, and a hint of smoked malts.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with more of a black grape flavor pulling through. Again, a hint of smoke is detected.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, creamy, fruity, with mild spices and a burnt grain like flavor smaking me before the swallow.
Pretty good beer but it didn't live up to the hype IMO.

12-31-2008 20:01:17 | More by weeare138
badbeer

Iowa

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured black with red hues around the edges. Head was a dark beige color, but didn't last too long. Chocolate-y aroma, some ash and strong roast, perhaps some lactose, and some alcohol came out as it warmed. Taste started out with the strong dark roast, similar to The Abyss, but where the Abyss powers on with ash, this transforms elegantly into dark chocolate and sweet lactose flavors. Smooth is a good word to describe it. Carbonation was on the lower side and body was medium bodied. If I can be picky, I'd give the taste a little above an 8, but not quite a 9, so I'll add in an extra point to the overall. Big thanks to Cole and his roommate for the sample!

12-27-2008 23:59:16 | More by badbeer
hopdog

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

22oz bottle shared courtesy of TomDecapolis. Bottle # 15/500.

Poured a dark black color with brown at the edges and a smaller sized light brown head. Aromas of roast, chocolate-cocoa, caramel, and molasses. Tastes of cocoa, caramel, dark fruits, and a lighter roastiness.

12-19-2008 18:03:25 | More by hopdog
brdc

Wisconsin

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle 224/500, courtesy of thorshammer. Poured into a snifter.

Nice looking, but not as thick as I expected. One shade below pitch black which allows for a minimal reddish highlight. Cocoa colored head, but little retention or lacing.
Aroma is roasted, dark malts, some fruitiness, and chocolate, but a lot less chocolate on the aroma that the name would lead me to believe. The nice aroma is actually a bit on the weak side for a RIS.
Not full bodied as I expected, but velvety on the palate.
Chocolate here is much more noticeable than on the aroma, along with some roasted malts, rarely burnt providing mild acidity. There is very little of that burnt, acrid, acid taste described by others, presumably because I am drinking this quite warm, which appears to be the way to go. Mostly sweet, with some balancing roasted bitterness, but not near 85 IBUs as the bottle states. Compared to the ridiculously bitter 88 IBU rogue RIS that I recently had, this is quite sweet (more balanced, really) - and significantly better.

12-04-2008 02:02:32 | More by brdc