Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

North Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

A big thank you to drabmuh for sharing this at my last tasting.

A: Near black, good head and lacing.

S: Enticing aromas of roasted malt with hints of chocolate.

T: Very tasty. A beautifully balanced big stout. A slight hop character in the finish adds another level of complexity to this tasty brew. There is less chocolate in the flavor than the name suggests, but subtle hints of bittersweet chocolate make this a pleasure to drink.

M: Crisp carbonation, great feel. ABV masked well.

D: Yes please, may I have another. I seriously need to go to the release next year, provided that I don't get snowed in again.

29 Jan 2011: Made it to the release! Good times.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a deep, opaque black, with a pretty decent amount of light to medium brown head. Aromas of roasted malt, dark chocolate and mocha/espresso. Nice flavors of cocoa powder, espresso, roasted malts, and a little bit of sweetness. The body here is a little bit thin, but overall a pretty nice example of the style.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to abbddull (Andy) for letting me try this at DLD. And then another thanks to the kind soul who let me have some more of it at DLD. Two different growlers of this stuff floating around at DLD...it was just meant to be! Review from phone notes.

A- Poured a black color sure it would have been a darker brown if I held it up to some light. One and a half finger tan head stuck around for a little while before capping the top of the beer. Ringing lacing on the glass as I drank it down.

S- There is chocolate in this big time. It seems like a mix though of cocoa and darker chocolate in the front of the aroma. Good roasted malts in the middle of this with some light darker fruits. Very coffee forward in the ending of the aroma. I thought it would be a little more in the chocolate aroma department but still smells good.

T- Good chocolate kick in the front of the beer. Not a bittersweet chocolate (darker) taste but a sweet creamy milk chocolate flavor. Good but unexpected. The roasted malts came in next with a light darker fruit and caramel undertone to it. There is a some coffee like presence I think in the tail end of this but the chocolate still holds on till the very end although much faded than in the front of the beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Felt a little watery at times in the mouth. Carbonation is good for the style. Chocolate was left on the palate and into the aftertaste with some light roasted flavors. Very chocolate forward in the palate and kind of let other flavors fade out. Light drying also as I sipped it down.

D- This was a very drinkable stout that was bordering on the Milk Stout style. I would like to try this beer again with a little bit of age on it to see if the chocolate mellows on it. Overall it was drinking rather nice right now. I would have no problem drinking a lot of this.

4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A-pours a bitch black liquid that is completely opaque. The head is tan in color, creamy with lots of bubbles and some retention and lace.

S-the nose isn't huge but it is by no means faint. There is a ton of cocoa in what comes through, it is bitter chocolate, unsweatened. Notes of roasted malts lie behind with hints of anise and molasses at the back.

T-the taste is big and brings tons of unsweetened bitter cocoa. Roasted malts set in first with the cocoa awakening in the middle and make a strong presence with some bitterness behind it, but definitely from the chocolate and not a hop bitterness. The molasses and a touch of anise a present towards the back with an ever so faint floral spice hop presence at the finish.

M-this is smooth and creamy, not overly carbonated, done right. It is on the lighter end of full bodied, is slightly chalky and coats the mouth.

D-this is a very tasty RIS, nice chocolate presence but a good bit of roasted malts to keep it stout like. Nice complexity and big flavors that are done well!

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

The label alone on this bottle got me to about 73 percent. Soupedup brought over some little city pepperoni pizza for dinner. I figured this would be a proper choice for desert. I waited a little while after the pizza and had a bunch of water.

Bottle 953/1000. 2009 Batch. Shout out to Evan1023 for hooking me up with this bottle and introducing me to Sally's Pizza. Also Props to Zapps for making the New Haven trip with me. One last Pimp out to Larsonstyle for giving me an extra bottle of KTG so I could trade for this... thank God for my good ole Coors light drinking buddy.

I feel like I'm gazing into the black hole. Next to KTG this is the darkest stout I've had to date. The head and lacing look like Nesquick.

The aroma isn't as chocolaty as I would have imagined. Coffee is definitely the front runner. The chocolate is more towards the background. Fruit and spices are somewhere in the middle. A very pleasant surprise.

The name is a bit deceiving. As deciphered in the aroma the chocolate isn't that big. I was expecting a Rogue Chocolate Stout like chocolate presence. Not the case at all. The coffee was up front with the chocolate in the background. Although subtle, I could really taste the rich fudge. I poured into a chalice and my second glass was closer to room temp. The chocolate started jumping out at me even more and spices started to make an appearance. My first beer from Foothills and WOW. My second favorite stout under KTG. Still a perfect 5 for taste. As a thick subtle chocolate Russian Imperial Stout... I can't imagine it getting any better.

This beer isn't smooth... It's Smoooth. I feel like I'm in bed with the woman on the label when I'm drinking it. Well balanced, rich, and creamy. Fills my palate. It felt like the entire cast of the soul train was dancing the night away inside my mouth. Top notch. It took willpower to make this bottle last 45 minutes. 9.75 percent could not be more drinkable.

I would love to get my hands on another bottle of this stuff. Hopefully they continue to produce more and more. This beer was better in bed than my girlfriend.

4.36/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Big thanks to Gyle41386 for the trade.

5.0 A: This is quite a looker, especially once the head dies down. Pitch black color. Two fingers of thick creamy medium brown head with pretty good retention and a glass absolutely plastered with lacing. The last 1/8 of head lasts seemingly forever.

4.0 S: Sweet milk chocolate, cacao nibs, creamy espresso. Slight roastiness, but overall sweet and caramelly.

4.5 T: Semi sweet chocolate. I was expecting a bit more chocolate based on Foothills' description and the name itself. I guess I was thinking it would be somewhat like ST's Choklat. Anyway, it's still a very tasty brew. Chocolate is number one in this, but creamy espresso is close behind. Roasted barley, but the roasted component is really soft compared to a lot of other RISs. Reasonable bitterness level. Molasses and toffee add some complexity to the background.

4.0 M: Heavier medium body. I was hoping for something creamier and thicker as that's the way I like my impies. Other than that, good moderate carbonation, creamy, and super smooth. The alcohol isn't noticeable one bit.

4.5 D: I've had a few better, but this is still up near the top. Complex with a pleasant taste, this goes down perhaps a little too easy. Would love to have this again.

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Sometime last year I came across Foothills Brewery out of Winston-Salem, NC and immediately took to their ales. Once I started paying attention I head about their Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout and I was able to enjoy a glass with dinner last night.

This was on tap and I enjoyed it in a snifter. It was quite dark in appearance and in the aroma I was able to smell a subtle dark chocolate. The taste was well balanced with the a slight bitterness. It was exceptionally drinkable.

This is by far one of my favorite beers.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks Chris for sharing this one! 2010 release (I believe).

A-Opaque very dark brown, nearly black body. Pours with a 1-2 finger, foamy creme brulee colored head. Head eventually fades to a thick collar and plenty of lacing is left behind in the glass. Quite a beautiful beer.

S-The most prominent scent is cocoa but I also detect dark chocolate, and a good amount of roasted malt. Nose is big and full of chocolate.

T- A big dose of cocoa and dark chocolate upfront with a moderate roasted malt backbone. The roasted malt intensifies slightly for the finish as there is a slightest dash of spicy hops that come through for the finish. What lingers is a lot of chalky cocoa and a slight roasted malt bitterness. Well done and well balanced.

M- Carbonation is nearly flat. Body is relatively thick but a bit thinner than I prefer. Body also has a somewhat chalky consistency.

D- This is a very interesting, different, and well put together stout. The ABV is undetectable as there is a lot going on with the chocolate and roasted malt. Really enjoyed the slight hoppiness as well. A good high quality stout overall- but doesn't quite live up to the hype.

3.82/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottle 877 of 1000. Feb 2010 release.

Poured pitch black with a creamy light brown top.

Aroma was of bittersweet chocolate, raisins and maple syrup.

Taste followed the aroma for the most part. The chocolate was more along the lines of whoppers candy. Not really very chocolatey.

Mouthfeel was damn good. I thought this brew was solid, but a tad bit overrated. If you're going to name your beer sexual chocolate, this thing better be like Hershey's. I prefer Southern Tier Choklat over this version of the chocolate imperial stout.

3.82/5  rDev -7.3%

Sampled: 04/14/10
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip
Sample Type: 22oz. Bottle
Vintage: 2010 #366/1000

Poured a light black in color w/ a 1/2 finger cream head that really does not lace the glass. Appears a touch too thin for the style. Nose of chocolate burnt malts, oak, light bourbon, and earthy hops. Taste of charred burnt malts, oak, hop backbone, light smokiness, and peat. Medium bodied that left me wanting more viscosity. Pretty drinkable for the high ABV, but not that complex.

Overall, good brew, but a touch overrated IMO. I was slightly disappointed by this brew as I expected it to be more viscose and to have a dark fruit characteristic that never joined the party. However, would definately drink it again.

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Poured a black color with good carbonation and a brown head.

S: Nose is espresso, chocolate, dark fruits.
T: Taste is smooth dark chocolate, dark fruits, very light espresso and roasted malt. Booze seems pretty light.
M: Mouthfeel is dark chocolate, smooth, and dark fried fruits. Very good.

2.7/5  rDev -34.5%

Lightly chilled '09 vintage into a glass. From a trade with sincereNc. Thanks, Ian!

A: Pours a beautiful black body with slight edge penetration when held against a lamp. The dark mocha head billows up to fill 1.5 fingers of space in the snifter, and it falls over 30 seconds or so into swirls of fine bubbles on top of the brew, with a thin collar at the edge.

S: Milk chocolate with a lactic sweetness and twang, bordering on anise / dark fruit. Caramel, roasted coffee.

T: Nicely chocolatey up front, but as noted in the aroma, it has more of the straight milk sweetness than bittersweet dark chocolate. It is accentuated by very noticeable lactic twang associated with it; at times I feel it's similar to an anise / dark fruit blend, but this doesn't quite have that tartness that suggests one one of those two. Regardless, this particular aspect is so strong that I'm tempted to think of this as an imperial milk stout.

M: Light-medium bodied; it's thin for the style. The flavor gets decidedly watery in the finish. Carbonation is appropriate for the style. No heat or even warmth. The flavor falls off fast; it doesn't have much heft to it.

D: The girlfriend and I polished off a bomber quite easily. This beer goes down nicely and is tolerable. I didn't love it enough to seek it out again, though. Certainly not worth the prestige and hype it has on here.

3.87/5  rDev -6.1%

Delayed review from notes taken in Feb. 2010. Full pint of 2010. Then a subsequent tasting of '08, '09, and '10 tapped at the Flying Saucer in Columbia, SC.

A: Pint had minimal dark tan head with little to no lacing. Almost black color. The '08 had a better head with nice lacing.

S: All were fresh baked chocolate, dark malts, and a espresso. Coffee and fruits were also present.

T&M: The 2010 was nice and smooth, but the 2008 was the smoothest and most balanced tasting. The '09 was the booziest and thinner than any stout I've ever tried. All were sweet with roasted flavored. Malts, dark cocoa, rich chocolate, and some coffee/espresso. Semi-dry and medium bodied (with the exception of the '09).

Quality brew but not a favorite of mine in the category. I typically do not enjoy aged styles, but the '08 was probably the best as a sipper. The '10 was a bit smoother, but not as flavorful as the '08.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Didn't know anything about this brewery until my non-drinking bro-in-law took me there Fri night - the locals at the bar mentioned Sexual Chocolate, and it was then I remembered the name... on w/the review:

Poured into a 10oz glass with a short tan head over a deep opaque black color - nearly impossible to review a beer's real Appearance in a bar, so giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Smelled of good, roasted bean quality with a lightly sweet / bittersweet chocolate. Some nuttiness present. Served a bit too cold, so didn't pick up everything that is probably there.

Pretty creamy mouthfeel - roasted malts come thru first in the flavor, with some dark chocolate and well bittered with the hops. Light coffee, and some toffee come through as it warmed. Overall, it was a little lighter on the palate than I would've hoped for from a celebrated RIS, but pretty nice mouthfeel nonetheless.

Drinkability is terrific, with only the mouthfeel keeping it from hitting a five. My brother in law said he'd be willing to sit in the line next year to get me a bottle from the annual release, since he works a few blocks away, so I will definitely take him up on that!!

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Review #200. Had on tap tonight (4/5/10) at Churchkey in Washington, DC. This was the 2009 SC and was served in a 10 oz. snifter.

a - Pours a dark brown with one finger of brown head and nice lacing and froth.

s - Smells of cocoa, sweet chocolate and malts, roasted malts, and maybe some dark fruit. As it warms up, got a little coffee as well.

t - Tastes of bitter chocolate up front, followed up cocoa, roasted malts. As it warms up maybe a little vanilla and dark fruit.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and creamy. Very easy to drink.

d - Overall I thought this was a great beer. I've had 09 and 10 SC and think the 09 is much better. I think the time on it lets the hops fade and lets the chocolate and some other flavors like the dark fruit come out more. For 9.75% ABV this is very drinkable and I can't wait to try my bottles of 2010 SC with some time on them.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 vintage on tap at Church Key today. What a pleasant surprise!

The pour is quite gorgeous, black with a dark brown head with great retention and lacing. I found the nose excellent. While there was a definite faded hop character with a mildly oxidized character, the blend between dark chocolate, roast, cocoa and a toasted bread sweetness was very very good. The palate opens with a blend of chocolate flavor and a surprising, mild lactic tartness. Flavors of dark chocolate, toasted bread, a moderate caramel sweetness all appear on the palate. Some dark fruit character is noticeable as well, with some plum character. Mildly bitter on the finish with a great dark chocolate bitterness, this beer tastes great. The mouthfeel is borderline exceptional. Medium to full in body with a soft, lush carbonation, this feels exceptional smooth on the palate, a lushness which works beautifully with the delicate chocolate character and the bitterness. This really is a top notch stout, I'd have drunk more but for the $10 pours. Much better than out of a bottle.

3.28/5  rDev -20.4%

At Churchkey in DC, a 10 oz snifter for $9 of the 2009 vintage. First time I've ever seen anything from Foothills in DC/Nova/MD area.

This experience with the beer wasn't all that impressive. The beer is served in a snifter that is about 4/5 near black, opaque liquid with a large, dense foamy tan head that hangs around the duration of the beer and leaves thick sheets of lacing. Aroma is mild blend of expected roast malt, cocoa, milk chocolate, slightly powdery. Carbonation is very low throughout and body is generally silky and smooth, but marginally thin for the style and slightly watery in the finish. Flavor is one dimensional, natural milk chocolate and cocoa powder with a mild sweet malt body. Little to no hop, fruit, char or alcohol presence resulting in an overall lack of balance. I'm waiting to try a bottle of the 2010 release and have greatly diminished expectations for that, but I'm still holding out hope that will be a little more complex, interesting and nuanced. However if this keg was representative of what everyone else has sampled for this beer, then for me this is easily one of the most undeservedly over hyped and sought after beers I've tried.

edit: Reading other reviews from the same night it's like we had two different beers. I wonder if I had a dirty glass or...I don't know, something seems off. Wouldn't be first time that's happened to me there.

4.01/5  rDev -2.7%

Into a tulip courtesy of alexd3891, pours a small quantity of head that dies quickly, nary to reemerge atop an impenetrable black body.

Smells of cocoa bean, blocks of chocolate, and oak. It's very *whiff*, "ahhh!" worthy.

The flavors include bitter chocolate with a slightly phenolic edge, the latter of which may be due to some of the other beers I drank. Definitely organic in nature in terms taste.

The mouthfeel is thinner than I would like, even upon swishing. Fairly viscous in the consistency.

Overall, it's good but I am not exactly jumping for joy in consuming more. Perhaps if I had it on its own instead of subsequent to three strong ales I would enjoy it more.

3.74/5  rDev -9.2%

27/1000 2010 Vintage thanks to kbutler1! Had this side by side with ORF.

Poured into a wine shaped snifter.

pours a light tan head that fades down fast. Color is a deep brown, pretty much black.

Aroma: Deep rich chocolate, reminds me of Belgian chocolate. Rich and roasted malts. Light coffee. Not a big hop profile noticeable.

Taste: Tons of chocolate and again, it reminds me of Belgian chocolate. Roasted malts. Light grassy hops. Some coffee flavors. Basically, just a big chocolate stout.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, and velvety. Decent carbonation with a full body. Ends roasted and dry.

Overall, this is a decent beer, but I think it is a little hyped up. Maybe it would be better with some time on it, but fresh it is nothing stunning. Still, I am really glad I got to try this one.

3.87/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a Growler obtained on "Rare Keg Thursday" at the Green's on Piney Grove Road (1 Apr 2010). A great April 1st offering!!

Appearance - Black as midnight. Pours a dense/viscous fill. A light tan-colored head forms (about half a finger) that resolves into a light ring after several minutes. A bit of lacing, nothing much however.

Smell - Big roasted malt nose. Caramel and cocoa aromas come through as well. Some sweetness as well and a lively nutty presence as well.

Taste - Big up-front malt body. The nutty aroma gives way to a woody/nutty middle-game. The end is a tongue-coating oily finish with a bit of a hop bite as an after thought. A bit of the alcohol comes through at the end as well, opening the door for your next sip.

Mouthfeel - Moderate carbonation. I was expecting a denser body but I'd have to classify this as moderate as well. The tongue-coating mentioned above is note-worthy more for a comparison with others in the style.

Drinkability - A sipper and something to share. I enjoyed this offering.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

2010 bottle

A: Dark black-brown body with a large cream brown head... good retention and spotty lacing...

S: Chocolate certainly is front and center with notes of both bitter dark chocolate as well as creamy sweet milk chocolate... really not much else shining through here

T: Like the nose, and the name obviously suggests... chocolaty is clearly what they were going for... interestingly coffee rears its head here after being nowhere to be found in the nose... all said, not quite as profound as the reputation and the concept of "sexual chocolate" would lead one to expect

M: Medium bodied with a well disguised abv... creamy and smooth with a soft finish

D: This is a good, perhaps even very good beer... the problem is the competition up at the top of RIS style is spectacular these days ... probably won't go through the effort of tracking this down in subsequent years

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

I drank this 2010 version, bottle #480 of 1000, 22oz bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours opaque black with a disappointing less than half a finger of dark tan head. Terrible retention, medium lacing.

The aroma is super light. It gives off mostly cocoa, as you would expect. Its pretty sweet.

The taste is a big surprise, it is totally off from the aroma. It is all bitter coffee. There is no sweetness or any chocolate. The finish is bitter and has some bitter alcohol. As the beer warms up a lot it starts to mellow out on the bitterness and a little more chocolate starts to show itself.

The feel is ok, a little too light for a stout, but a very bitter tacky finish.

Overall, I was really disappointed here. The chocolate is super light in the aroma and it disappears mostly in the taste. If I didn't know better I would think this was a coffee stout. The taste is a big one noter and boring. This has to be a top 100 because of the name and bottle, about the only cool thing here.

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

Draft pour into a snifter at Revolution Pizza in Charlotte

A - Black as night with a nice tan head that sticks around as long as the glass isn't empty.

S - Smells like roasted barley, a hint of coffee and ... dark chocolate!

T - Huge roasted malt flavors at first with loads of dark chocolate flavor at the end. Full of flavor from start to finish. Reminds me a lot of eating a piece of dark chocolate. The alcohol flavors are covered up real well and I love that about it.

M - Really smooth drinking beer. Medium to heavy body.

D - I really love this beer. The chocolate flavor is very pronounced, you can't taste the booze and it is easy to drink for such a bit stout. Easily the best dark beer I've ever had.

Enjoyed this side by side with Olde Rabbit's Foot. This bottle, courtesy of kbutler1. Thanks Kevin for the chance.

2010 release. Bottle # 27/1000

Pours a deep black, with a surprisingly light colored head sitting on top. Retention is good and manages to leave some nice lacing.

They weren't kidding with the chocolate in this one. Very chocolatey on the nose, with a lightly roasted malt hangin on strong in the background. Was expecting it to be hoppier as it's so fresh, but it wasn't.

Taste is just like the nose, lots of roasted malts and chocolate, with any bitterness coming from the roasted malts, thanks to the lack of hops. Tastes great, but I feel it's lacking something.

Not as heavy as I thought it would be, about medium in body. Soft feel with a carbonation that might be just a tad to high for the style. Drinkability is good.

Overall, definitely a good RIS, but I just don't think it lives up to the hype. Granted, this is a fresh bottle and I can see this getting better with age, but it's not like it was too hot or anything so how much better is it really going to get? I've been told previous years were fantastic. Anyways, I think the four of us were split down the middle, two liked this better and two liked Olde Rabbit's Foot better. For the record, I liked Olde Rabbit's Foot better.

4.45/5  rDev +8%

I received a pity bottle because I couldn't go to the release due to a huge snowstorm. I brought the bottle to a recent tasting to spread the love around.

2010 release. Beer is black with a thick brown head made up of medium and large bubbles.

Aroma is sweet with some chocolate in there. Beer is medium in body and has some roast character at the back. There is a bitterness from the chocolate I assume, really creamy and consistent palate presence. Really smooth, finishes cleanly. Very awesome.

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company