Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

On tap at the brewery 2/6

A: Black with dark brown edges and small tan ring of head. Not in a large enough glass to showcase the appearance much.
S: Rich chocolate malt, cocoa, a touch of vanilla, some oat mustiness and bit of hops.
T: Definitely the best feature of this beer with loads of bittersweet chocolate and a heavy dose of blackstrap molasses. There's also a touch of sweetness and some hops along with a little coffee present, but somewhat subtle.
M: Very silky and smooth, although a bit thin for my preference.

Overall, a very nice, refined RIS that carries a lot of dark chocolate character. I would definitely go out of my way to have this again.

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Had one day after 2010 release.

A-very dark brown, redish tint when held up to the light, very fine light brown head

S-chocolate, cocoa nibs, slight coffee flavor

T-smooth, a little bitterness, chalky but a very nice finish

M-chalky leaves a lasting chocolate/expresso flavor in the mouth

D-a little to easy to drink it'll catch up with you quick

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Had this at the release on 2/6/10. 2009 vintage poured into their pint glass.

A: Served with just a thin wisp of white film at the top. Beer is opaque black. Lacing is rather thin but understandable given the style. Nothing out of the ordinary here. Not too bad but not outstanding.

S: Smoked malt, slight bit of coffee, chocolate, cocoa powder, and a slight soy saucy sweetness. A hint of dried dark fruit either rainsins or prunes.

T: Smoked malt character assaults my taste buds at the beginning. Its a bit much, covering the dark fruit and cocoa presence that I'm looking out for. Soy sauciness is present and a bit sour but in a good way. This lasts throughout the beginning and middle, fading into a prominent aftertaste at the finish. Cocoa is also there but has a certain grainy aggressiveness that hides the other flavors.

M: Medium to full bodied and one of the smoothest RISs that I've had. Carbonation is very low and absolutely silky smooth. Not oily and sticky like most in its style, but with a body that no doubt outmatches its peers. Finish is messy with a bit of smokieness and a slight soy sauciness that fades rather quickly.

D: In my opinion, this is one of the top over-hyped beers. Sure, its pretty good, but nothing outstanding and definitely not worth the hype. Seek it out if you live near the brewery but honestly, there are a bunch of year-round RISs that I'd much rather have. Not bad by any means, but a let down because of the publicity.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

Had both this year's (2010) and last year's on tap at the release party Friday night. The review is of this year's, but I'll make notes about what a year of age does to it as well.

Appearance: Pours a dark translucent dark chocolate with the slightest amount of head--though the glass is also extremely full. Little to no lacing, and alcohol is evident in the way the brew slinks back down the side of the glass. What do you expect from a 10%?

Smell: Heavy chocolate syrup is the predominant note in the nose, as well as some raisins, spice, and alcohol. It's a little cloying.

Taste: Slightly warm in the mouth, but in a nice way. It's not abrasive at all. The chocolate is there, but almost as a background note, and there are some definite coffee notes. The chocolate here is not so much syrup as cocoa powder and dark chocolate. Rum soaked dark fruits--raisins and prunes, and the carbonation adds an anise spice.

Mouthfeel: So perfect--makes what would otherwise be a heavy brew be medium to light bodied. Very crisp and bubbly, and adds tingly spiciness to the taste. Also greatly facilitates the drinkability. Not at all hot for a 10%.

Drinkability: Goes down smooth and crisp. Nicely done. I find this one very odd for an RIS--not a bit what I would think of--it's sort of got a life of its own, so I'm not really sure what this would get if I were reviewing it strictly to style.

The '09 version (perhaps more accurately characterized as the year-aged version), also on tap, I think I would have rated much lower. It gains a little bit of smoothness, and the carbonation has largely subsided--no huge, crisp, spicy bubbles here, and there's a slight hint of bitterness. I think this one loses more than it gains with age, oddly, and personally prefer it fresh.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two St. Bernardus goblets. Special thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to Metalmonk for this from our first trade!

Feb '09 release
#486/600

A: Blaaack! Thin wafer of mocha colored head. Tiny blobs of light brown lace were left clinging to the side of the glass.

S: Huge nose of roasty malt mixed with espresso, dark chocolate, molassas, and overripe dark fruit.

T: See above. Tangy dark fruit in the forefront with a huge backbone of bitter, dark chocolate, espresso, and fudge brownies.

M: Smooth with equal parts dry and sweet.

D: Surprisingly excellent. We were floored that the abv didn't stand in the way of us enjoying this, at all. Stunning!

4.61/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this on - really looking forward to it!

A: Pour is black as night. Looks like molasses. Thick and viscous. Great looking 2-2.5 finger of dark tan head.

S: Smell of deep roasted malts and some chocolate, a bit of dark fruit and coffee.

T: Complex. Trying to nail down what it is on the front of the tongue. Some vanilla? Dark cherry? Middle and back are much clearer. Ton of malt and chocolate and some smoke in the middle followed by a strong coffee bitterness.

M: Medium to full body. Carbonation seems right

D: High in general and very high for the style. Now I gotta get a bottle (hopefully 2) to try!

4.48/5  rDev +8.7%

I finally decided to crack open my 2009 vintage of this bad boy. First, let me start by saying this is one of my favorite names for a beer and also one of my favorite labels. It pours jet black with a nice 3 fingers of dark tan head and leave a nice foamy lacing on my Founders 10 Anniversary glass. The smell is a bit off putting because it has a rather large burnt grains smell with lingering hits of chocolate, carmel, booze and earth. The flavor is much better as the burnt grain smell is replaced by the taste of bitter sweet chocolate, sweet grains, toffee, carmel, coffee and earthy flavors....overall the taste of chocolate and roasted grains is most prominent and quit delicious. This beer is thick in my mouth like a bitter chocolate milk shake. I really enjoyed this beer, much more than I thought I would. The chocolate is there, but over powering and all the flavors really meld together nicely. I may seek this one out again, but there are a few other imperial stouts I have higher on my list.

4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

February 2009 release, hand-numbered '490'/600 22 oz. bottle; listed ABV is 9.75%. Poured half to a snifter and half to a shaker pint, minutes after taking this bottle from the chilly fruit cellar.

Of note, this is a 'milestone' review for me - #1000 - so I felt it would a fitting tribute to my bud, Metalmonk (who gets huge thanks for sending this), and the dozens of traders who've supplied me with so many fine beers over the years. Cheers to Jeff & the BA community at-large!

A: Charcoal black, deep ebony but showing glimmers of rust-orange at the edges. No big worries tho', still so damn dark I'm just nit-pickin'. The snifter shows off a shorter, tighter 1/2-finger of cocoa cream for a head; the pint glass boasts well over a finger. Lace is weaker in the snifter, small freckles and drips, a brief ring and swirl of film; the pint pour holds longer and thicker, leaving a nice splotchy webwork and a thicker cream topping. Either one looks quite pretty, but the pint (surprisingly) nears the '5' range...

S: Man, just a terrific RIS aroma: bold dark chocolate (though not as huge/defining as I expected), loads of fruit (blackberry and raspberry and plum), a heavy dose of molasses (a sweet/thick sugary burnt-ness). Lemony coffee (sounds strange, right?) and even bigger fruit, covered in thick chocolate, as it warms.

T: Th-e-e-e-r-r-r-e's my chocolate! Deep cacao, so deep it has an earthy/chalky bittering in the finish, a robust roast that ends with a coffee bean acridness. Add a hint of zest, something lemony like I find in the darkest chocolates, too. Subtler notes of vanilla bean and musty wood, definite fruit notes of the berry variety. A languishing tang that has more blackberry and even some tart cherry. Enjoyable, multi-faceted flavors - a dessert-like treat that's not too sweet.

M: Appropriate thickness, a medium-full mouthful of chewy and coating charred grain. Lasting bitterness and a creeping tart go along with the roundabout vagueness of alcoholic warmth.

D: Whew! As a lover of the style, this matches the hype and is one I thoroughly enjoyed and am thrilled to have tried/saved for a big night (even if that night is just another Friday in January). Captures just about everything I want in from the style and one I definitely would like again... [hint]. Well done, FBC!

In closing, the words of the immortal Mr. Randy Watson (played by Eddie Murphy in 'Coming to America'):

"I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be
I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows
If I fail, if I succeed
You can't take away my dignity
Because the greatest love of all's
Inside of me...
SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!!!"

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle on 11/6/09 with Hophead101.
189/600
2009 vintage

A - pours a dark brown with very little foam to speak of, if any.

S - rich dark chocolate, molasses, dark fruit, espresso as well

T - vanilla followed by a big smoke charcoal flavor, big chocolately flavor, roasted malts

M/D - smooth creamy, full bodied, warming with some bitterness to it. I really enjoyed trying this and will hopefully get to again someday. I really enjoyed it. Very smooth.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

appearance is not as thick as expected, dark brown but not fully opaque. light brown head with great retention, always a layer of bubbles with no regenerating swirls necessary. bigger bubbles hug the sides. the label... one of my favorites. if drinking straight from the bottle, id give it a 6.

smell is of dark cherries, alcohol infused figs, really subtle hints of dark chocolate.

closely following a roasted malt taste are sour cherries, molasses tanginess, and some slightly bitter qualities. this has a much greater tangy, dark fruity character than any other imperial stout ive tasted.

medium body, not thick, not thin. right there in the middle. wouldnt want it any thinner though.

drinkability is alright. the sour fruitiness is hard to figure out. approaching this beer with an expectation for huge chocolate plus generic ris qualities will result in surprise. perhaps with different expectations, i could have gulped this thing down and not known what happened. its certainly the most sour and fruity (things i love) ris i can recall, which makes it a little out of place. not bad, but also not meeting expectations. if looking for huge, delicious chocolate, try choklat. yum.

sexual chocolate. the name and the bottle seem a clever tease. desire, expectation, suspense. then surprise, confusion, an empty glass. wondering why i didnt get what i expected instead of appreciating what i was given. sexual chocolate... you b****. now i cant wait to expect a sour fruitiness on our reacquaintance. all wrapped in a roasty blankey. mmm!

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

2009 Release; purchased at the brewery on SC Day '09

This year I made my first pilgrimage to Foothills for the limited release of Sexual Chocolate, and I was lucky enough to get my four-bottle quota. That chilly February day I drank my fair share of that chocolatey goodness on draft, but I've never yet had it bottled.... I traded three of my precious orange-and-brown-sugar-clad bombers with some great BAs across the nation, but I saved one, this single lonely lady of soul, and she has been waiting, patiently standing apart even in a crowded cellar, saving her sexy self all just for me. Time's up, baby... here we go...

With a seductive hiss and an accompanying whiff of licorice-laden fudge, the slightly-chilled bottle numbered 472/600 yields her silvery crown. A brisk pour into my prized Foothills tasting tumbler yields an inky-black beauty of a brew, the ebony liquid trimmed at the extreme periphery in burnt chestnut and smartly capped with a finger's thickness of glossy espresso-crema colored foam. As the sticky bubble-lid slowly recedes, a webby film of ecru lacing clings stubbornly to the inner walls of my glass.

The aroma is sexy and chocolate-laden, sure enough. A dab of toasted cocoa with a twist of burnt licorice, plus a smashed brick of baker's chocolate and a horde of devil's food cupcakes tangle with a drizzle of Hershey's syrup to sweeten a deep, rich, robust note of smoky charred barley.

The first luxurious sip is rich and full-bodied, with plenty of chocolate and blackened roast a-go-go. Notes of dark semi-sweet morsels swirled with a licorice swizzle stick, mixed into strong black coffee, all mingle nicely with silky-sweet milk chocolate and a sprinkle of dark dried fruits. The 10% ABV is scarcely hidden, but is so very well-incorporated into the flavor and the aroma that I can't imagine the brew without it; darkly-fruity and vanilla-like notes attest to the idea. Sexual Chocolate lingers in the mouth-- savory, roasty, and sweet on the palate-- long after the brew has passed the drinker's lips. As this excellent stout warms a bit, a pleasantly-dry twinge of tangy, acrid, woody smokiness gains a definite but unobtrusive foothold in the flavor profile.

The drink is silky-soft and creamy-smooth, with a thick, full body and sedately-perfect carbonation. Highly drinkable, even considering the aforementioned ABV.

The best thing about this sexy black beauty is that she faithfully returns to us year after year, and you can bet your bottom dollar, folks, that I'll be lining up to see her again on SC Day '10. A truly awesome brew.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

22oz bottle - #138/500. shipped by blackie many moons ago - promised i would drink it this winter when we got 5" of snowfall in a day. We got somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-18 in the last 24 hours, so thats where we're at

appearance: oddly named with a strange label - the infamous afro-wearing nubian princess. served in a snifter, very dark chocolate body - nearly black but not as much as so as other RIS's. creamy tan crest subsides rather quickly and leaves a relatively light lace behind

smell: rich dark chocolate, and lots of it...cocoa nibs, molasses, espresso, licorice - very nice

taste: offhand - reminds me a lot of an aged Rogue RIS - strong waves of dark chocolate, espresso, heavily roasted malts, cocoa. The heavy roast and alcohol leaves a rather bitter followthrough. well rounded - strong and full flavored. a great RIS - seems the hype has died down and this has settled into a rating range that is a bit more appropriate - not top 5-10, but very close

mouthfeel: full bodied, thick heavy roast, lingering bitterness, warms the body

drinkability: actually drinks pretty well, less the bitterness in the finish

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

My experience with Sexual Chocolate would have to be the band featured in the movie Coming to America, they played the song Greatest Love of All. Perhaps I should have played this song while cracking open this bottle.

Thanks to Brady for this one, I can't believe it.

A: Poured as much of the bomber into my bedazzling clean 20 oz glass as I could. This beer didn't pour like motor oil, but it certainly had a good visual level of viscosity. The Pour was followed by a dense and relaxed 5 cm head. Lacing was good for the deceptively high ABV.

Not technically a part of the beer, but I love the label of this bottle. Orange, clean, simple, and sexual?

S: I was expecting to inhale a rush of tantalizing chocolate, but it tame which is not a bad thing. Notes of Chocolate (can't quite say what kind of chocolate), sweet malt, coffee, and bit touch of roasted/smoked goodness if you really flare the nostrils.

T: Initial sips did not blow me away, but with a name like Sexual Chocolate the beer it had the power to slowly seduce my palate. I couldn't believe the difference of this beers flavor profile as it warmed even with my beer fridge set to 50 degrees. There is a good chocolate flavor sweet to bitter, coffee, dark fruit, and a twang of molasses. The roasted/smoke goodness I smelt came out a little more too.

M: I was expecting more viscosity, but it never really let me down either. Very stable, medium-bodied brew with matching carbonation. I think it added to the drinkability of this beer.

D: From the pretty bottle to the pretty warm stomach a very enjoyable beer from start to finish. A great lasting wave of chocolate after every big sip and well hidden ABV. Hopefully I can snag another one of these in 2010. Curious how a fresh bottle would taste.

My first ever growler, and what a pleasure it was! Deep black colour that reminds me of midnight mixed with space. It has a nice looking head that hangs around and a wonderful lace. Smells strongly of chocolate (obviously) and to lesser extent coffee. A powerful, and pleasant aroma that makes my mouth watcher for the first taste. The taste is everything I expected, a sweet chocolate with some coffee aftertaste as well, but the sweetness makes this a truly memorable experience. This also may be the best feeling beer I've ever had, in addition to the taste which also certainly up there as well. I still have a hard time believing that this is a 10% RIS, because our friends at Bud Light could use some education as to what true "drinkability" is. This may very well be one of the best beers i've ever had, and I'm already sad that my growler is gone and i'll have to wait to get another

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Just got back from piggly-wiggly where they had a foothills tasting on friday thanks Michael for saving me a growler, you are the Man. Appearance: Dark black w/ a nice tan head this stuff pour awesome out of growler even though 2 days old. Smell: Great chocolatey goodness, can't wait til I can taste it. Taste : Have I gone to heaven, this stuff taste great! Mouthfeel: Wonderful not to thick(if that is possible)but definitely stout not a disguised porter. Drinkability: I can't really taste the alcohol very well hidden, it's only 6:00 pm and I've got a half gallon of this wonderful beverage to drink before I go to sleep, don't be jealous, it's going to be a great night.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to beachbum1975 for sharing this bottle.

22oz. brown bottle poured into a snifter. #214/500

A: Dark black, good viscosity. 1 1/2 fingers of milk chocolate head. Good retention and lacing.

S: Aged and slightly oxidized but nicely. Teriyaki and beef jerky, smoky... smells great, though. Plenty of chocolate, dark enough to be lightly bitter.

T/M: Milky chocolate with some smoky hints. Some Belgian qualities. A bit of bitterness. Nice carbonation, somewhat Belgian. Body is medium full and silky smooth.

D: Drinks pretty easy for a bigger beer. This was about a year old when I had it and I really enjoyed it. I've had it fresh(from the '09 batch) a few different times and really think it needs to age out for at least a year.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

Thanks goes out to cvstrickland for this brew.

22oz. Bomber

Pours a very nice black color, very nice carbonation, with a very nice one-finger creamy tan head, with some nice small islands and thich creamy sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty with lots of chocolate/toffee, slight roast note. The taste is awesome, malty, sweet, with some dark fruits, some vanilla, slight roast note. Medium/Full body, smooth. Very drinkable, what an awesome brew, so glad I finally got a chance to try it, Thanks Chuck!

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%

Update: had this again, 2010 vintage, and really wasn't terribly impressed. It's a good impy stout with nice chocolate notes, but not really a standout within the style. This time I give it: 4.5/4/4/4/4: A-. Averaging the scores for my overall rating.

***ORIGINAL RATING 9/28/2009***
5/4.5/5/4.5/4: A+
Had this several times on tap at the GABF and it was one of my favorites. Told the Foothills people I was from CA but had just visited their brewpub in NC and that got me several large pours. Had a couple pours of Sexual Chocolate to kick off each session and loved it every time. One of the best impy stouts at the fest, and that's saying a lot. Will certainly seek this out again - hoping my friend in Winston-Salem can grab me one in 2010.

A - Black and fairly viscous-looking with a large, foamy tan head. Very appealing and looks exactly like a beer in this style should.

S - Coffee, chocolate, roast, smoke, and even a hint of tobacco. Smells great.

T - Incredibly tasty and complex. Freshly brewed espresso, roasted malt, and lots of dark chocolate, along with dark berries, anise, and earth/tobacco. Some hop/coffee bitterness on the finish.

M - Medium-full and smooth, yet with a tiny bit of coffee astringency, which is not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion since it adds a little bite to it.

D - High for the style. Does not get to be too much like some impy stouts do.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Love the name (reminds me of 'Coming to America') and love the label. Could be called "Sexy Mutha Ucker".

Of course, a dark pour like liquid raisins. Some reddish/purple around the edge. Good, tan lacing up top, but didn't stick around too long. Probably served too cold.
Aroma is chocolate, deep roasted malt, not so much coffee as toffee and molasses. Dark banana hints.
Taste is groovy. It's a nice blend of chocolate, coffee, dark plum, light tobacco and smoke. A bit chewy. Better as it warms, more roasted malt comes out. Dark chocolate, not sweet. Doesn't have quite the bite as some RIS, kinda wish it did...but this is very nice.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottle # 192 of 600 received in a recent trade.

Appearance: Pours a murky ink like black with a 1 finger dark brown crown that rapidly dissipates and leaves a tiny ring of lace. Simple but sexy.

Smell: Wow I can smell this one from a mile away. Roasted malt and chocolate all the way. Not too much bitterness so I wouldn't compare it to dark chocolate. More like bittersweet chocolate.

Taste: Really smooth balanced flavor. Roasted malt, chocolate, molasses, and maybe some dark fruit but not much fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Lush and silky smooth despite the "on the lite side of full bodied" nature of this brew.

Drinkability: Tastes great, little to no alcohol presence, but thicker mouthfeel and high abv.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

What a treat to finally sample this beer. Many, many thanks for bringing this gem Dyan; a beer I've been wanting to try for some time. Trying this beer blind made the experience all the more interesting and enjoyable I thought.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with very good head retention and lacing. On the nose this beer is hugely impressive, with licorice, black cherry, coffee, vanilla, nuts, bourbon and milk duds. Very, very nice. Flavors on the palate are not quite as intense or impressive as the nose, with flavors of coffee and chocolate dominating the flavor profile. Regardless, the beer is still quite delicious and impressive, with a very full, rich mouthfeel. Finish is a bit boozy, and I dare say a single glass is probably all I could do. Nevertheless, this is clearly a very fine RIS.

Thanks Dyan!

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks to ncvbc for this 650 mL bomber. #126/600 from the February 2009 release. Shared with ksak and janlud.

A: The stout pours a black moonless (and starless) night, forboding and mysterious with the darkness of a singularity. A tan head stands out in contrast to the depth, sitting in thin pools.

S: Chocolate is evident from the first sniff, cocoa powder sweetness and coffee follow. Hops have retained a noticeable strength as well.

T: Each sip has a burnt, charred flavor, heavy on roasted grains. A coffee flavor, eerily similar to Starbucks drip coffee in its bitterness, flitters around. The hops, citrusy, are a welcome diversion from the scorched earth flavors. Black strap, a sugary burnt presence, only adds to the strength. The burnt flavors linger long after the sip is gone.

M: The mouthfeel is imperial, very dark and burnt. I'm glad that I wasn't downing the whole bomber on my own.

D: Very little separates this from other imperial stouts, kind of disappointing. It's good but not great. I wouldn't trade life and limb for another.

3.86/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottle 117/600 from the February 2009 release.

A: Poured thick and black...not the thickest of thick and not the blackest of black...but exhibited both qualities pretty damn well. The thing that impressed me the most was the magnificent lacing and light caramel head that kept it's almost 2-inch head stable for twenty minutes or so.

S: A lot of dark roasted malts and chocolate upfront with some dark fig and molasses characteristics that kicked in at the back end, adding a nice sweet note. The label suggests toffee and espresso, and if so, it's very subtle.

T: A dark fig...cherry perhaps, Dark Lord comes to mind when I drink this beer. Again, tons of bitter chocolate with fig like characteristics create a very humble and upper tier taste. The coffee-like qualities are subdued, but somewhat more noticeable during this stage of the tasting. The alcohol is nearly invisible.

M: Decent for an Imperial Stout...viscous, but the carbonation is a bit too much for the style. There is an added creamy feel as well...that I like.

D: Reminds me of a cheaper version of the Dark Lord and Stone RIS combined. This is no "slam" on the beer...it's very tasty, but I was expecting a little bit more. As for the drinkability, the alcohol is nearly invisible and the flavor is great...making this one mighty fine brew.

Overall: Expected more...a little disappointed, but still very good. I hate to say it...a "hyped up beer". Cheers!

4.16/5  rDev +1%

My 100th review. 22 oz. bottle, #105/600. Feb. 2009. Poured into a snifter.

A: Almost black, just a hint of red shines through when backlit. Almost two fingers of kahki colored head appears, then receeds to an eighth of an inch, and retains for the entire glass. Impressive.

A: Chocolate and sour fruit. I get big molasses, raisin, and dried tart cherry. A very pronounced earthiness from the hops also come into play. Very nice roasty, dark malts as well.

T: Again, sour dried fruit, chocolate, some light coffee, and molasses. Some baker's chocolate, raisin, cherry, and currant. Very complex. Finishes dry with a prominent alcohol flavor.

M: Heavy body, silky, creamy. Perfect amount of carbonation.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is great. Once it warms, I could drink this all night. Overall, one of the best RIS's I have had to date. So nice on all levels, so comlex and choclatey. Great offering from the guys at Foothills. Skal.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

RBSG09 Grand Tasting notes (thanks to whoever brought it). As much as this was a good beer, it still disappointed me. I hadn't read reviews or heard much about it beyond general hype for a good American impy stout. This is a pure chocolate bomb, in my humble opinion. While it does a great job with creating a good chocolate flavor, I didn't find the complexity that I need to nudge my scores above a four. Well, the aroma is very good, still chocolate but so intense it broke through. This beer tastes like rich, high quality semi-sweet to milk chocolate, and there's not a ton else to say. It's the best chocolate flavor you can find in a stout, but as someone who likes good dark chocolate, a chocolatey stout will never live up to the real stuff, which is a good thing because I wouldn't want to drink anything with the bitterness and intensity of good dark chocolate. I should go back and downgrade all of the other chocolate beers that I've reviewed because this is better, however it's still a one note stout in a field of deep, dark, gigantically complex entries. On a fresh palate, alone in my room with a growler, I'd probably give this beer a higher score, but the RBSG09 Grand Tasting gave me quite a bit of perspective on reviewing and showed me that I need to leave more room in my scores. I had a Cigar City 110K+ about fifteen minutes before this beer, and while that wasn't the best stout ever in all the world, it was still significantly more interesting to me.

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company