2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Sexual ChocolateSexual Chocolate

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

(Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 905 | Reviews: 421 | Show All Ratings:
Jaynuze

District of Columbia

4.78/5  rDev +15.7%

What an incredible beer! I was able to try this beautiful creation at SAVOR in DC, so please excuse my recollection.

Pours jet black with a light brown head.

The nose is very subtle, though one can detect coffee and chocolate.

Tastes like the name says! Big chocolate and coffee notes yet very smooth ... not a lot of heat like you find in other RIPs.

Smooth mouthfeel ... tasted like it came off a nitro tap.

This is a very easy to drink RIP ... I'd hate to see what would happen to me if I could find this on tap in DC.

Probably one of the finest RIPs on the market right now. I'm a big fan of Stone's RIP and until I tried Sexual Chocolate, I'd thought it was the only respectable version of this style. This is one hell of a beer. All I can really say is, find it, by it (en masse if possible), covet it, and drink it. An incredible beer ... can't wait till it makes its way to DC!

05-29-2008 12:52:15 | More by Jaynuze
tjthresh

Indiana

The pour is black with a billowing light brown head with some very nice lace. Aroma? What aroma? I get next to nothing here. Seems to me hops are leading the way in the nose. I bit apple-ish. There's roast and chocolate, but over all the nose is much to weak to earn a high score. The flavor, to me, isn't really anything to brag about either. There's some roast and some chocolate, but there supposed to be. I do pick up a tad of molasses. Really, the flavor is pretty pedestrian. The mouthfeel on the other hand is quite good. Big body. Above average carbonation. Dry finish. Full palate all the way through. OH-VER-RAY-TED!

05-23-2008 21:43:53 | More by tjthresh
objectivemonkey

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Bottle #261 of 500, hand labeled, and speaking of label, its a tasty label. *wink* Big thanks to shaujw for this one.

This is an attractive brew! Into a nonic glass, pours a thick black with creamy, slightly bubbled one inch head, good retention, nice lacing, very nice. The aroma packs some solid roasted malt, sweet molasses and toffee, cocoa chocolates, hints of espresso, nice. The taste is similarly delicious, which much the same flavors as in the nose, less cocoa, more roasty chocolate malt and dark chocolate, much more so. Good bittering through the middle and finish, but not too biting, which fits this beers direction. The mouth is quite full and smooth, started off a bit too carbonated but settled down into a good groove during the second pour.

In sum, this is a damn tasty brew, well worth the search. Its not quite top notch, can't hang with the best bunch of this style, but its a very respectful second tier impy stout, which makes it much better than most in my book.

05-17-2008 03:58:45 | More by objectivemonkey
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

One of my very favorite labels.

Appearance: Fully opaque black with wonderful dark brown and everlasting head.

Aroma: Dark chocolate and cocoa powder, espresso, sweet English toffee, dark fruit, rummy booze, molasses.

Taste: Large doses of high percentage cocoa chocolate but the chocolate flavor is not overdone. Well roasted coffee notes blend nicely with the chocolate and sweet toffee flavors balance the bitterness of the cocoa and coffee. Small touches of dark fruits (blackberries and figs mostly) finish everything off.

Mouthfeel: Well balanced. Well hidden ABV. Rich and creamy.

Drinkability: Very.

05-15-2008 17:40:15 | More by DaPeculierDane
younger35

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #250

Received this brew from WeisGuy in a recent trade. Big thanks for the opportunity! This is my first brew from Foothills and I couldn't think of a better one to start with. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip while watching a movie. Un-numbered bottle

Appearance- Pours a super murky black that has zero shades. of anything but black in it. Nice dark brown creamy half finger head forms that leaves a nice cap and collar for most of the brew and a bit of splotchy lacing.
Smell- Starts with a nice black licorice sweetness that is somewhat dark molasses and somewhat dark cane rum. The chocolate is definitely present just not to the overwhelming effect that I had originally thought it would be. Some of the typical coffee and espresso notes that you'd expect from brew with as much roastiness as this one has. Lightly hoppy with a dark berry fruitiness to it and feint vanilla bean. Minus the fruitiness, this reminds me quite a bit of the ABYSS.
Taste- Oh, very nice! Lightly chocolaty with a very raw cocoa start this is semi bitter. Plenty of dark roasted coffee that seems to linger on and on and on. Lightly sweet with a dark caramel and molasses aspect and a bit of a wood like vanilla that I got in the nose. Something about this beer makes me think its barrel aged but I know that it's not. Almost a bourbon like quality about this with the alcohol in the finish (think I've just been drinking to many bourbon aged brews). Finishes with a dark fruitiness (plums, prunes and maybe even some dark cherry) and that burnt espresso quality that never seems to leave.
Mouthfeel- Fairly hefty with a medium-large body and a super creamy, velvety feel. Light, fine carbonation adds to the creamy feel. Finishes slightly hot.
Drinkability- Overall this is a pretty tasty brew. It's not really chocolaty like Southern Tiers Choklat (which I thought it would be closer to then farther from) but still very nice and tasty. It's not overly sweet and cloying like some of these brews can be and I hate. Wish the 10% was covered up a bit more but that's about my only complaint. Big thanks to Shane for the opportunity to try this delight!

05-14-2008 02:29:21 | More by younger35
FtownThrowDown

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a very dark brown almost black in color. Decent sized head. Smell is dominant chocolate and some tar. Taste is all cocoa and dark chocolate. There are some dark fruits trying to make a presence, but the chocolate just won't let it happen. Decent beer that I'm glad I got to try. I'm happy I got to try it instead of trying to trade for one on the market.

05-13-2008 01:22:58 | More by FtownThrowDown
tprokop7

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Bottle 258/500, shared with balberts after getting it in trade from Shuajw. Thanks again.

A - Thick and black, little to no head, quite viscous as it pours.

S - Roasted barley, not as much chocolate as I would have expected.

T - Nice, complex smokeyness complimenting notes of sweetness and chocolate near the end. Leaves a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

M - Slightly carbonated, thick and smooth.

D - I'm not sure this is even relevant here, as the chances of following the first bottle with the second are almost none...

This is a great, complex stout that I wish I could get more of. I am glad I had the opportunity to try this from this brewing. There was a lot of hype surrounding this beer, and I think I can honestly say that it has earned at least most of it. Thanks again for the bottle Josh.

05-05-2008 02:59:47 | More by tprokop7
NCSUdo

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

22 oz bottle, bottle 97/500

A: Thick, deep black under a small dark brown head. No lace, no retention. A good looking beer for the style.

S: Smells sweet, bit of chocolate and coffee. A little lacking however.

T: Very nice taste Sweet up front, ending in a big roasted bitterness mixed with some dark chocolate and a little bit of coffee. Everything slightly lacking in the aroma is thrown right into your face in the taste department. Very chocolaty, but mixed in so well with the roasted malt, just perfect balance.

M/D: Silky smooth on the tongue, hardly any alcohol at all, medium carbonation, full bodied. Very good drinkability for such a big beer. Could easily drink a few pints of this.

05-01-2008 00:11:29 | More by NCSUdo
deltatauhobbit

Maine

Large props to ahatcher78's LIF for giving me the chance to try this beer.

Wow, I'm not usually one to give into hype, but with this beer it's not hype if it can be backed up. Seriously delicious, the first beer I've had that deserves the complete 5 rating.

Bottle 365/500

Pours a jet black color with tons of tan head, very creamy head with great retention and patchy lacing, held up to the light and couldn't get anything to shine through.

Smell is dark roasted malt with heavy chocolate and coffee undertones.

Taste is incredibly smooth and creamy, can't even tell that it's 10% because of the creaminess, taste is heavy with roasted malt, chocolate and coffee, for some reason it almost tastes like it was bourbon aged slightly as there's some interesting aspects coming out when it's warmed, chocolate obviously takes the cake, mmmm.

Reminds me almost of a milk/sweet stout because it's so drinkable, I found that I downed half a pint of it faster than normal (a good sign because I can't get enough of it and the strength isn't noticeable at all), for a RIS it's quite subtle compared to some others I've had (doesn't try to pound flavors down your throat) and the chocolate is quite complementary even when it's in the forefront of taste.

Once again, thanks to ahatcher78 for a beer I probably had no chance of trying.

04-24-2008 22:48:49 | More by deltatauhobbit
francisweizen

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Non numbered bomber bottle. 22oz of chocolate goodness. This one pours motor oil black with a nice espresso head of cocoa nib foam. Lacing is long lived and provides excellent lacing and legs. Aromas is all bittersweet chocolate, background green hops, and big bread basket malts. Taste is all pure chocolate, cocoa butter, great dark hot chocolate with great roasty, bready malt. Mouthfeel is medium liquid silk smooth and great. Drinkability is very good as well. This one blew the Brooklyn black chocolate out of the water, and would do the same thing to the rogue chocolate as well I imagine. That being said, based on the hype this doesn't quite live up to it. This is a damn good beer but not quite up their with dark lord or kbs. However, it is a different sort of thing and certainly a fantabulous brew from NC

04-24-2008 08:18:55 | More by francisweizen
MiScusi

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

9.5% alcohol per bottle. #140 of 500. Thanks a million to Blackie for trading this. I was very excited for this opportunity.

A reddish black liquid that pours super black in the glass. Small tan head can form if poured vigorously. I thought I'd be hit with chocolate in the aroma but all that really comes out is a little bit of toffee and maybe a bit of roastiness. It's like there's a ton of dark malt aroma there but they all cancel eachother out into one muted sorta sweetness. The taste is what I would describe basically as a pretty good but not too unique imperial stout. Compared to what I think of as the ultimate chocolate beer (Choklat) it falls way short. Compared to a standard IRS (for example the Port Santa's Little Helper I had just before it) it exceeds it by a small fraction. It holds a little more sweetness than most IRS's, and the chocolate comes across in the bitter variety. Don't get me wrong, it tastes good. It's one of the better tasting IRS's I've had but I was kinda hoping this would go beyond that, sorta like Choklat does.

04-24-2008 05:46:12 | More by MiScusi
bgramer

Washington

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Bottle # 78/500

Poured a dark black with brownish accents into a glass. Wow - gurgling and creamy head. The aroma is overpoweringly chocolate and woodsy with malty (roasted?) accents. It's complexity is amazing with a mix of dark fruity andbittersweet chocolate and a creamy body.

As if it wasn't a amazingly drinkable beer now, I wonder how much more amazing it would be when cellared. Probably cure everyone's sweet tooth!

Highly recommended.

04-06-2008 03:41:31 | More by bgramer
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to Dave on RB for this beauty.

22 oz. bomber poured into a nonic, bottle 121/500.

I won't get into how much I enjoy the label on the bottle of this beer, mmhmm. So...it pours the color of the black hole with a big three finger brown head that leaves a tick layer of webbing on the sides of the glass. Chunky bubbles remain on the top of the beer throughout. Super dark chocolate with roasted malt and barley in the nose up front. Big smokey wood and cocoa powder aroma with a tiny bit of caramel and molasses. The alcohol sting is first on the tongue with big french roast flavors that follow. Smoked dark chocolate taste with some earthy hops and bourbon towards the end. Aftertaste has dark fruits and is surprisingly dry. Creamy full body with a silky carbonation. Very bold in the mouth. This is a pretty big beer overall and very enjoyable. Not as much chocolate flavor as I expected, but still very good. This bottle will definitely be displayed in my kitchen.

04-06-2008 01:53:07 | More by BeerTruth
JDV

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to ahatcher78 for this bottle!

Wow, fantastic beer...
Pours a rich dark black color, letting no light through the snifter, and holds a nice sized brown head. Good lacing. Smell at first is of dark rich fruit, and then shifts in a dark chocolately, roasty and dry coccoa smell that is really nice. Taste is rich, creamy, smooth mild bittersweet chocolately sweetness. Nice and dark and dry in the finish for a great balance. Never got too chocolately, artificial, or cloying in the least. The drinkability is phenomenal. Medium to light carbonation and a great mouthfeel. The alcohol is flawlessly hidden as well. Easily one of my favorite beers, and exactly what I want in a Chocolate beer. Worlds better than ST Choklat and the Chocolate Donut Beer. Shared with pint_size for Valentine's but easily could've had the entire bomber to myself with no complaints...

04-06-2008 00:19:57 | More by JDV
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Massive thanks to grub for sharing this gem, number 467/500 bottled!!

Pours an opaque black, attractive brown highlights, nice dark tan head, very thick, super retention, drops some nice lacing as it settles down to a thick ring. Smell is some dark fruits and alcohol, chocolate, big roastiness, toffee, intense burnt fruit, more roast, very nice. Taste is tons of chocolate, nice roast, toffee, lots of dark fruit, burnt currants, alcohol, some sherry, bit of pine, molasses, intense finish, flavours aren't as integrated as I expected though, lots of fighting, but lots of intensity. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, very smooth. Maybe with some age the flavours will meld together a little bit more. Regardless, thanks Russ for the fantastic beer!!

04-03-2008 02:25:25 | More by Viggo
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Deep black color with a moderate amount of tan head. Slightly burnt, somewhat port wine and plum aroma. Heavy, though mellow roasted flavor. Lingering bittersweet chocolate taste. Very grainy tasting. Solid mouthfeel-the heavy grain flavor comes thru as a nice chewy, bready feel to it. Very, very good and enjoyable beer. I am a tad dissappointed overall but I think I just hyped myself up for it. Thanks to brentk56 for this great trade. I wouldnt have been able to sample it otherwise I am sure.

03-26-2008 01:00:00 | More by lackenhauser
oberon

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks Roger down Greensboro,bottle # 42/500.Poured into a nonic a jet black I mean as black as crude a large fluffy billowing dark mocha colored head atop that settles very slowly.Not as intense as ST's Choklat in its choclate bombardment in the nose but its there and in force along with raisin and French roast coffee just roasted to the hildt.Me and my wife are splitting a bottle with a piece of Cheescake Factory peanut butter cup-fudge cheescake and it dont get much better as a pair in my mind.Dark bitter chocolate dominates the palate with dark roast coffee accompanying it hand in hand a bit of char into the finish with the alcohol beginning to creep as I drink more.It lives up to the hype its decadent and raw at the same time it kicks as.

03-24-2008 00:49:45 | More by oberon
tpd975

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Being St. Patty's day I figured I would open some black gold from the end of the rainbow. Here it is, Thanks khiasmus for the chance to try this one.

A: Pours deep dark and black. The head is big and foamy. It lingers and lingers leaving behind beautiful spider webbed lacing.

S: Big bold rich roasted malt aromas. Tons of dark chocoloate, and charred coffee. Yum!

T: Very roasty with tons of dark bitter chocolate along with some espresso. There are piney hops beneath it all with touches of black licorice.

M: Nice and thick, very full bodied. This is a sipping brew.

D: Pretty darn drinkable.

Overall: I gave up a lot to get this brew, and to be honest I don't know if it was worth it. After finishing the whole bottle and taking the rareity into account I think it was. It is not the best RIS in the world by no means, but it is drinkable and has very nice flavor. I like it. I am glad Joey Redner from the soon to be Cigar City Brewing Company (new local brewer) stole one of Foothills brewers to start up his new operation.

If they put out brews anywhere near this one I will be a very happy man.

03-18-2008 03:56:47 | More by tpd975
grub

Ontario (Canada)

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Loki was nice enough to hook me up with this in a recent trade. huge thanks to kip for letting me try this rare treat.

22oz bottle, number 467/500. sampled march 15/08.

pours opaque black with a big dense dark brown head. the head on this thing lasts forever, dropping very slowly and leaving lots of lace behind.

aroma is great. milk and dark chocolate. bittersweet chocolate. hint of coffee. light roast. big bready malt. it's like a big slice of chocolate cake. or maybe a cakey chocolate donut with chocolate on top. bit of caramel.

taste is excellent. big dark and milk chocolate. bittersweet chocolate too, but not enough to unbalance it. bit of coffee. bready malt. really like the cake/donut character here too. bit of caramel. molasses. maybe some honey too? bit of dark fruit. light roast. medium-low bitterness level.

mouthfeel is good. super smooth well integrated medium-low carbonation level. medium-large body.

drinkability is excellent. well balanced, hiding its alcohol well. great chocolate profile that is interesting yet still lets the stout come through. great stuff.

03-17-2008 03:34:58 | More by grub
jjayjaye

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Bottle 184 of 500 - Big thanks to drunkmonk for the opportunity. Cheers, Joel!

Pours an opaque brown color with a huge foamy dark tan head that fades fairly quickly. Spotty patterns of Belgian lacing in it's wake. The smell from beneath the cap is Hersey Syrup chocolaty goodness, from the pour a wonderful distinct dark fruit character comes through and hints of vanilla. As it warms you get more of a cherry vanilla barrel aged treatment. The initial mouthful is conditioned by the rush of alcohol. The fire is dampened nicely by the full bodied rich chocolate flavor dispensed in a silky creaminess. Big chocolate flavor mixed with the fruity taste of a barrel age treatment. Finishes with a chewy semisweet maltiness that lingers appropriately. Way too easy to drink. This one is labeled 9.75% ABV. Integrated well, has a really nice complexity that's a kick to consider. I never know where the line falls between a RIS and a Double Stout, but this is what i think a Double Stout is shooting for. Really nice effort. Highly recommended.

03-16-2008 22:31:54 | More by jjayjaye
Enola

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer is about as dark as a beer could be. Black with a nice thick tan head. The smell is coffee, a little oatmeal and a ton of chocolate. The taste is chocolate. No hop bitterness, just mainly a ton of chocolate and a hint of coffee. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with just a hint of smoke. Served at room temp. The abv is not too noticable and the beer has a long lasting aftertaste. I will certanly try this beer again sometime.

03-08-2008 18:32:49 | More by Enola
DavidEddie

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Courtesy of drunkmonk. Thanks Joel.
Bottle # 181/500

Pours black like an overdue oil change. Brown head falls quickly to a ring around my glass. Strong roasty smell of chocolate and coffee. Some pine and licorice aromas were also detected. The first initial sip, I tasted flavors of dark chocolate followed by black coffee. Finishes with a bit of crisp citrusy hops. Some bitter chocolate lingers. Alcohol is barley noticeable, just some slight warming in my chest. Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and slightly heavy. Overall, drinkability is fantastic. I would agree this Imperial Stout lives up to the hype. Highly recommended!

03-02-2008 04:03:58 | More by DavidEddie
malthead

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

This was a gift from Mikesgroove, who started a Lottery-It-Forward. I still can't believe I'm getting the chance to try this - my first 'hand-numbered' bottle (#378/500), and one I never could have gotten or traded for on my own. Thanks Mike!

This puppy is black, with the darkest ruby-hued head I've ever seen. Aroma is a high quality dark chocolate, maybe some espresso or coffee grounds. Taste is the same great dark chocolate, slightly sweet, turning astringent on the finish. Really no harsh alcohol to this one, just a nice warming feeling. There's something in the aftertaste I'm having trouble putting my finger on - astringent, metallic, I'm not sure. It's got a surprising little hoppy kick to it, keeping it crisper than most RIS's. Quite a bit of fine carbonation, too, keeping it light on the tongue. Glad I split this bottle with a friend - Very enjoyable, but I don't think I could really do justice to a full bottle.

02-29-2008 03:42:35 | More by malthead
drseamus

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cheers to mikesgroove for the trade. Bottle number 379/500.

A: Pours jet black as it should with a small but decent mocha colored head. The head left a ring and some patches on the surface after it mostly left.

S: Strong coffee aroma with a touch of chocolate. Bit of roastiness in there as well. The aroma has a good amount of sweetness in it leading me to believe that the beer will be sweet but I'm keeping an open mind. A bit of alcohol is detectable as well.

T: Very powerful taste. It hits fast and hard. There is an explosion of coffee with a blast of roasty bitterness right up front. Some of that bitterness that is in there could be from dark chocolate as well, but there isn't an overwhelming chocolate influence. The sweetness that I detected in the aroma isn't in the flavor and that makes me happy.

M: It is very full bodied and leaves a very dry feeling on the tongue. It could possibly be from dark chocolate. I haven't really experienced that before in an RIS.

D: A damn fine beer all around. There isn't as much chocolate as there should be in there.

02-29-2008 03:23:29 | More by drseamus
SierraGS

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

I've had this before - in 2007, just after it was released and again in 2007, after it had aged for an additional 7 months. Last year it was too hot to drink upon February release, but fabulously perfect in September.

Now it is 2008, and the beer was brewed a little earlier. I made a point to have it at Foothills on draft, and again at Barley's in Asheville.

It poured with that same deep black appearance, but the aroma and flavor did not scream of hot alcohol this time. Complex flavors of chocolate, molasses, coffee, dark fruit and something a little tart oscillated in my mouth between each sip.

This is an attractive beverage, and I can't wait to see how it ages in the keg and in the bottle over the next couple of months.

02-27-2008 05:00:05 | More by SierraGS