2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Sexual ChocolateSexual Chocolate

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

(Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 905 | Reviews: 421 | Show All Ratings:
mbrasi

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Receive bottle via trade (52/600) cap was leaking when I got it so I had to open it qucik :( Aroma is chocolate, coffee, and sticky molasses. Such a great aroma that fills the air when poured. Flavor is exceptional. Balanced, not too much chocolate. Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and some alcohol but in a complementary fashion not overpowering. Smooth, creamy and rich mouthfeel with light carbonation. Great for an impy. It's sad that I'm going to lose this fine brew through the process of digestion.

02-20-2009 12:33:10 | More by mbrasi
aerozeppl

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Had 4 or 5 samples of this at EBF. From notes.

A: Poured jet black with about a finger of coffee/mocha colored head.

S: The nose was a nice mixture of roasted malts and chocolate. The chocolate really was clear and blasted through the roast though. A touch of an earthy smell but the nose was really clean on this.

T: Chocolate right up front. A mixture of cocoa powder and milk chocolate. Again like the nose the roast is there but chocolate is firmly on the center stage. A nice sweetness runs throughout. You do get a touch of hop bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium to heavy body. A little bit on the dry side.

D: A really drinkable RIS. Glad I got to try this but I don't know if I would give up the farm for this. However if this were local to me I would grab every chance I could to have this. Great beer.

03-17-2009 19:30:15 | More by aerozeppl
johnmichael712

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

While I was at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville today picking up some KBS Jason told me that Barley's down the street still had some Sexual Chocolate on tap. As highly regarded as this brew is I figured I couldn't miss out on this opportunity so I headed down the road to grab myself a glass. I had the beer at 3:30 pm so there was no smoke or anything in the air to cloud my nose and lots of light to see the beer. This review is from my notes.

Appearance: Brought to my table in a 10.5 oz. goblet. This beer is a dark, dark black color, and while it's hard to say if it's the blackest beer I've ever had it is definitely up there. The head was a gorgeous dark brown color, darker than chocolate milk with a wonderful soft, pillowy texture. The head is also very sticky and as I drank it left enormous amounts of lace on the glass, at times almost blanketing the entire glass.

Smell: The nose of this beer is full of different aromas, the strongest of which is dark chocolate. It also has the usual chocolate/espresso interplay that Russian Imperial Stouts have, and these aromas are supplemented by notes of blackstrap molasses, treacle toffee, and raisins.

Taste: With the first sip of this beer I realize that it definitely deserves its reputation. It starts off with a wonderful sweet chocolate flavor, moves to a strong dark malt flavor, and finishes with just a bit of hop bitterness. That may sound pretty standard, but what sets this beer apart from other stouts is how well Foothills has balanced out these flavors. The chocolate is sweet but not milky, the malt is roasted but not at all charred like some beers, and the hops are prevalent enough to taste but faint enough to give this beer an excellent finish that, even after the full goblet, was never bitter. Unlike some Russian Imperial Stouts that are so hoppy in the finish they destroy your palate this one is, as Goldilocks said, "just right".

Mouthfeel: This is one exceptionally creamy beer. The mouthfeel is somewhat akin to what I can imagine drinking liquid cream would be like, and it is so creamy it reminds me of a milk stout. The carbonation is also very low, further giving this beer a thick, luscious mouthfeel. Overall an ungodly creamy, yet full-bodied, brew and I feel like only a 5 fully does the mouthfeel of this beer justice.

Drinkability: There is absolutely no taste of the 10% ABV in this beer, and compared to the Storm King Imperial Stout I drank last night this beer is much more drinkable, which is saying a lot considering I gave Storm King a 4.5 in that category. This beer, however, deserves the 5 that it will receive from me.

Notes: Overall I was very impressed with this beer, and my only complaint is that I didn't get a chance to buy any bottles during this year's release. I love stouts, and there are lots of good ones out there, but Foothills Sexual Chocolate is definitely one of the best. It looks beautiful and smells incredible, but the taste and the mouthfeel are what really set it apart from its peers. If you ever get the chance to sample this beer, don't pass it up; you'll be disappointed if you do.

03-18-2009 23:40:33 | More by johnmichael712
JMC_TM

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Had as part of a wonderful 3 year vertical at the Flying Saucer in Charlotte, NC!

It poured a deep and opaque black color with a dark brown head. There was a big chocolate aroma with notes of espresso, more chocolate and a subtle following of molasses, dark sweet toffee and dark fruit. Smooth dark chocolate backbone, both bittersweet and malt, with complex notes of coffee, dark toffee and dark fruit. Each sip leaves you craving another. This Imperial stout weighs in around 10% ABV and is worth every bit of hype it gets!

02-18-2010 08:09:29 | More by JMC_TM
NickHerrmann

4.64/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours black, caramel-colored head.

S- BIG roasty aroma; deep chocolate.

T- Very roasted, chocolate/cocoa flavor, mild fruitiness

M- Full-bodied, low carbonation, thick feel.

O- Solid stout, unique, worth seeking out.

02-19-2013 18:32:17 | More by NickHerrmann
Enola

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer is about as dark as a beer could be. Black with a nice thick tan head. The smell is coffee, a little oatmeal and a ton of chocolate. The taste is chocolate. No hop bitterness, just mainly a ton of chocolate and a hint of coffee. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with just a hint of smoke. Served at room temp. The abv is not too noticable and the beer has a long lasting aftertaste. I will certanly try this beer again sometime.

03-08-2008 18:32:49 | More by Enola
TurdFurgison

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Bottle 96/500, courtesy of brdc (thanks Daniel).

I had this side-by-side with several other big and rare stouts (Darkness, Dark Lord, and Kate the Great). Thus I was able to make comparisons which often elude me when imbibing a single bottle in a sitting. In this case I can say that Sexual Chocolate tastes and smells a lot like Dark Lord, but has a less massive mouthfeel (Dark Lord seemed twice as viscous). Dark Lord is a sipper for this very reason, so to me Sexual Chocolate is immensely drinkable.

The beer is dark black with a nice initial 2-finger foam. The smell was not as chocolaty as I expected from the name, but was really rich with malts and dark fruits (like I said, similar to Dark Lord). The taste was really good too, lots of roasted malt, rich with sweetness and a little chocolate, very flavorful. The body was just thick enough in my opinion, even as it seemed less substantial than Dark Lord. Drinkability couldn't be improved for such a large and flavorful stout. It really goes down easily.

01-03-2009 11:32:37 | More by TurdFurgison
joepais

Maine

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this one. 2008 bottle 92 of 500 poured into a snifter. It produced a finger worth of tan head. That went to a slight ring of tan bubbles around the glass the body was a classic black stout color.

The aromas of dark chocolate coffee and some molasses filled my head. The more it warms the more the sweet molasses comes through with the chocolate

The flavor is very sweet the molasses is dominant as well in the taste. Nice chocolate notes as well as a slight coffee bitter. No carbonation but thick in the mouth so it is right where I like my stouts to be in the mouthfeel department.

This is a great stout, great chocolate flavor with enough sweetness in it to keep it interesting. I am truly enjoying this bomber while sipping this last glass. A must try to any stout lover; I know I grab another one in the future.

02-22-2009 02:07:33 | More by joepais
cvstrickland

2009 Release; purchased at the brewery on SC Day '09

This year I made my first pilgrimage to Foothills for the limited release of Sexual Chocolate, and I was lucky enough to get my four-bottle quota. That chilly February day I drank my fair share of that chocolatey goodness on draft, but I've never yet had it bottled.... I traded three of my precious orange-and-brown-sugar-clad bombers with some great BAs across the nation, but I saved one, this single lonely lady of soul, and she has been waiting, patiently standing apart even in a crowded cellar, saving her sexy self all just for me. Time's up, baby... here we go...

With a seductive hiss and an accompanying whiff of licorice-laden fudge, the slightly-chilled bottle numbered 472/600 yields her silvery crown. A brisk pour into my prized Foothills tasting tumbler yields an inky-black beauty of a brew, the ebony liquid trimmed at the extreme periphery in burnt chestnut and smartly capped with a finger's thickness of glossy espresso-crema colored foam. As the sticky bubble-lid slowly recedes, a webby film of ecru lacing clings stubbornly to the inner walls of my glass.

The aroma is sexy and chocolate-laden, sure enough. A dab of toasted cocoa with a twist of burnt licorice, plus a smashed brick of baker's chocolate and a horde of devil's food cupcakes tangle with a drizzle of Hershey's syrup to sweeten a deep, rich, robust note of smoky charred barley.

The first luxurious sip is rich and full-bodied, with plenty of chocolate and blackened roast a-go-go. Notes of dark semi-sweet morsels swirled with a licorice swizzle stick, mixed into strong black coffee, all mingle nicely with silky-sweet milk chocolate and a sprinkle of dark dried fruits. The 10% ABV is scarcely hidden, but is so very well-incorporated into the flavor and the aroma that I can't imagine the brew without it; darkly-fruity and vanilla-like notes attest to the idea. Sexual Chocolate lingers in the mouth-- savory, roasty, and sweet on the palate-- long after the brew has passed the drinker's lips. As this excellent stout warms a bit, a pleasantly-dry twinge of tangy, acrid, woody smokiness gains a definite but unobtrusive foothold in the flavor profile.

The drink is silky-soft and creamy-smooth, with a thick, full body and sedately-perfect carbonation. Highly drinkable, even considering the aforementioned ABV.

The best thing about this sexy black beauty is that she faithfully returns to us year after year, and you can bet your bottom dollar, folks, that I'll be lining up to see her again on SC Day '10. A truly awesome brew.

12-27-2009 15:01:09 | More by cvstrickland
Popkas

Colorado

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this on - really looking forward to it!

A: Pour is black as night. Looks like molasses. Thick and viscous. Great looking 2-2.5 finger of dark tan head.

S: Smell of deep roasted malts and some chocolate, a bit of dark fruit and coffee.

T: Complex. Trying to nail down what it is on the front of the tongue. Some vanilla? Dark cherry? Middle and back are much clearer. Ton of malt and chocolate and some smoke in the middle followed by a strong coffee bitterness.

M: Medium to full body. Carbonation seems right

D: High in general and very high for the style. Now I gotta get a bottle (hopefully 2) to try!

Serving type: growler

01-16-2010 02:00:48 | More by Popkas
Murchmac

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks cvstrickland for this bottle way back that I finally broke out. 2009, bottle #480/600

This beer poured out a pitch black with a two finger tan head. This beer looks like she's got some long legs and knows how to use them.

Smells chocolate, coffee, some cherries and dark fruits. A sweet syrupy smell rounds out the nose.

This is one of the best imperial stouts i've tasted. Molasses, cocoa, chocolate, some coffee. A great blend of sweetness is in this foxy mofo.

Great beer, very memorable beer.

08-13-2010 04:50:42 | More by Murchmac
glid02

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Sampled from gravity pour multiple times at Brewvival.

Pours black with a thin tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of robust roasted malts with semi-sweet chocolate and tobacco. Also present are very slight hints of boozy figs.

Tastes even better than it smells. Perfect amounts of roasted malt and dark chocolate flavors kick things off. Joining in shortly thereafter are smooth tobacco flavors and lighter chocolate. Very light amounts of smokiness join in midway through the sip before being overtaken by slight amounts of dark fruit flavors. The dark chocolate, roasted malt, and tobacco flavors push aside the dark fruit flavors and carry through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this beer benefitted from the cask treatment as the cocoa nibs were able to shine with gusto. My one qualm with the cask conditioning is that the mouthfeel suffers slightly. Still, if you see this beer on cask don't hesitate, it'll go fast as it well should, very much worth a shot.

Serving type: cask

03-11-2011 01:49:26 | More by glid02
jbphoto88

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

Black is beautiful. This beer pours real dark almost black and has a nice light tan head. The first sip is bliss with the taste of roasted malts and dark chocolate dancing on your tongue. There is a slight undertone of coffee that makes this a complete flavor experience. If you are a stout lover and in the area of the foothils brewing company then get to this beer as fast as you can.

10-24-2007 12:38:22 | More by jbphoto88
ewright

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

I have to preface this with a nyah-nyah ... how can you beat a full pint of this nectar for the grand sum of $2.50?!? I loves me some Flying Saucer with its NC pint Sundays!

A: Anyway, the beer came served with practically no head, which is typical for a pour at the Flying Saucer. The beer was completely black and opaque, as befits an RIS.

S: The smell was a bit muted due to my head cold, but I could definitely get the cocoa, roasted malts and a bit of espresso aroma.

T: The taste was right there with the best RIS. The cocoa was strong, but not overpowering. There was a definite hit of lactose sweetness in the middle, and a bit of hoppy bite near the end.

M: What can I say about the mouthfeel? It's sexual chocolate and it lives up to its name.

D: I had no idea it was as high ABV as it was. I had this at lunchtime after a breakfast of an apple. I was half-way through it before I ate anything and never noticed the alcohol. It's deceptively easy to drink... and at $2.50 a pint, it was hard to say no!

02-11-2008 01:01:34 | More by ewright
ncvbc

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%

Served on-tap at Barley's in Asheville. Instantly my favorite RIS (for the moment). Though I've only had a few different ones, this seemed to capture the style almost perfectly. Pitch black, almost looking like dark chocolate with a creamy, thick brown head. Chocolate is very present in the smell little alcohol present for the 10% this one offers. Like the Seeing Double, this beer does a wonderful job of hiding the alcohol presence and gives way to the various flavors that impressed me greatly. Simply put, this is delicious. Definitely a sipper but I'll sip on this any day.

Edit: Oh yeah...tried on-tap again recently. A little less roasted than I remember. More rich dark chocolate up front. Slight fresh hop presence lingers. Even a little sour dark fruit that reminds me of a Baltic in a way. A $7 pint was no problem.

03-20-2007 22:35:04 | More by ncvbc
drunkmonk

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%

On tap at Tylers in Durham as part of its 08 debut. Pours jet black, no lite penetrating at all as its held to the light. A quarter inch dark tan head escapes not long after my first sip. A ring of steady lace remains. The aroma at first is more subdued. At first just hints of semisweet chocolate and roasted malts. As this beer warms the aroma's really get much more complex, Caramel and charred fruit. Faint hints of anaise as well. The taste starts with a soft bakers chocolate sweetness and caramel undertones. The hops sneak in and assert themselves on your tongue. A warming begins down your throat after a few sips. The mouthfeel is moderate and extremely creamy and smooth. By the time you start to realize the strength of this beer you look down and your Foothills tumbler is almos empty. This beer is much too easy to drink for it's strength. A complex brew that's hard to keep away from your nose and your gullet. Highly Recommended.

01-31-2008 03:01:28 | More by drunkmonk
RustyDiamond

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%

Thanks to kipple for a bottle of Randy Watson's love potion. Shared with my lovely wife, in two Stone IRS stems.

As suspected, poured super black with a pretty 2 fingers of nougat-brown frothy head.

Aromas of java, dark chocolate, tiny amount of fumey alcohol with some campfire smoke.

Very nice taste that continued to change as it warmed. As each flavor was present, none totally dominated the experience. Started out with a pronounced dark chocolate flavor, slightly oily on the lips. A nice flash of hot alcohol with hop flavor came next then dissolved into a creamy mouthfeel. Finished pretty hot, slightly hoppy with a hint of dried cherry coating the palate. Again, with none of these flavors dominating.

SC has everything I love in a RIS and am so happy to have shared this with my lovely. We are planning to watch 'Coming to America' tonight on TNT.

02-18-2008 22:35:28 | More by RustyDiamond
digitalhifi

South Carolina

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%

A great Russian Imperial. Not too much on the nose, but my worries were quickly banished after the first sip. Dark chocolate and coffee swarmed beautifully into my mouth. The mouthfeel is spectacular and oily enough to really make the impression last. The taste just lingers forever after the experience.

Serving type: growler

07-09-2009 02:19:47 | More by digitalhifi
boonejag75

4.71/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just had a 2012 from a 22 purchased at the brewery - which makes it better automatically.

Still one of the best imperial stouts out there. The dark brown-almost black color; the smell is completely giving of all its notes - roasty chocolate is completely apparent.

The taste is smooth, not over taken by its alcohol, chocolaty greatness, and semi-sweet.

I have several more of these, including ones back to 2010 and I can't wait to get to the rest!

Get your hands on these. Foothills is nailing this one.

07-14-2012 01:02:57 | More by boonejag75
WeisGuy

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

10-14--07 update

After having this on-tap for the second time today at Foothills in WS, I'm bumping up the smell and drinkability scores. This is an outstading RIS...just wish it was available more often.

4-14-07 review

a - thick and black as motor oil, one-finger brown head with retention around the edges and a little lacing

s - big bittersweet chocolate aroma, some coffee and roasted malt as well, little alcohol

t - dominant flavor is bittersweet chocolate, body had some dark roasted coffee and malt, lots of dark fruit with vivid chocolate covered cherries, finish is slightly bitter coffee and roasted malt, more dark fruits, some sweetness on the finish as well, without much alcohol taste

m - quite full-bodied, very viscous and creamy, sweet finish with a little dryness as well

d - pretty drinkable, can't tell it's 10%, which make this beer dangerous, goes down very easy

Very good stout from Foothills...they have yet to disappoint me. Hope we don't have to wait to next V-day to have this again.

04-14-2007 23:03:17 | More by WeisGuy
younger35

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #250

Received this brew from WeisGuy in a recent trade. Big thanks for the opportunity! This is my first brew from Foothills and I couldn't think of a better one to start with. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip while watching a movie. Un-numbered bottle

Appearance- Pours a super murky black that has zero shades. of anything but black in it. Nice dark brown creamy half finger head forms that leaves a nice cap and collar for most of the brew and a bit of splotchy lacing.
Smell- Starts with a nice black licorice sweetness that is somewhat dark molasses and somewhat dark cane rum. The chocolate is definitely present just not to the overwhelming effect that I had originally thought it would be. Some of the typical coffee and espresso notes that you'd expect from brew with as much roastiness as this one has. Lightly hoppy with a dark berry fruitiness to it and feint vanilla bean. Minus the fruitiness, this reminds me quite a bit of the ABYSS.
Taste- Oh, very nice! Lightly chocolaty with a very raw cocoa start this is semi bitter. Plenty of dark roasted coffee that seems to linger on and on and on. Lightly sweet with a dark caramel and molasses aspect and a bit of a wood like vanilla that I got in the nose. Something about this beer makes me think its barrel aged but I know that it's not. Almost a bourbon like quality about this with the alcohol in the finish (think I've just been drinking to many bourbon aged brews). Finishes with a dark fruitiness (plums, prunes and maybe even some dark cherry) and that burnt espresso quality that never seems to leave.
Mouthfeel- Fairly hefty with a medium-large body and a super creamy, velvety feel. Light, fine carbonation adds to the creamy feel. Finishes slightly hot.
Drinkability- Overall this is a pretty tasty brew. It's not really chocolaty like Southern Tiers Choklat (which I thought it would be closer to then farther from) but still very nice and tasty. It's not overly sweet and cloying like some of these brews can be and I hate. Wish the 10% was covered up a bit more but that's about my only complaint. Big thanks to Shane for the opportunity to try this delight!

05-14-2008 02:29:21 | More by younger35
gford217

4.75/5  rDev +15%

I've been wanting to try this one for quite a while so big thanks to kp for opening a bottle at the Brick Store.

This one pours pitch black, with no light coming through at all. The tan head is small and bubbly and leaves good lacing.

This is one of the best aromas I've had in a beer. It's sweet, like malted milk balls - dark malts with sweet chocolate on top. There is dark fruit and hints of coffee as well.

The taste is fantastic as well with a huge roasted malt backbone that is extremely well balance by generous milk chocolate and dark fruit sweetness. The finish actually has a slight espresso bitterness, but only as a complementary piece of this complex brew.

The mouthfeel is so smooth, but with ample carbonation that helps coat the mouth completely in the semi-sweet goodness.

I am thoroughly impressed with this beer and would rate it among my favorite imperial stouts. I may be slightly biased to the sweeter side of things, but either way this is a world class beer. Thanks again to kp for sharing this one.

11-15-2008 03:28:40 | More by gford217
bhalter8

4.75/5  rDev +15%

I was thrilled to try the 2008 on tap at the 2009 bottle release. After standing in line for hours, I can safely say it was well worth it. Poured into a snifter, it is a deep, dark ink black color and a fairly thin dark brown head. It sure looks incredible, and smell doesn't let down either, the intense chocolate, burnt coffee, and strong malts combine to make quite the enticing aroma. This 2008 vintage blows you away in the taste department. It seems the alcohol has muted enough to allow all the other flavor components, the chocolate, the coffee, the malts, to overtake the flavor. It is a dense beer, but far thinner than the 2009 release, I assume due to aging. The subdued carbonization is also nice. All combine to make strong RIS, in both flavor and ABV, that still tastes, and drinks easy. I am thoroughly impressed, and may now have to hold off those '09 bottles for a while.

02-08-2009 18:27:21 | More by bhalter8
Jaynuze

District of Columbia

4.78/5  rDev +15.7%

What an incredible beer! I was able to try this beautiful creation at SAVOR in DC, so please excuse my recollection.

Pours jet black with a light brown head.

The nose is very subtle, though one can detect coffee and chocolate.

Tastes like the name says! Big chocolate and coffee notes yet very smooth ... not a lot of heat like you find in other RIPs.

Smooth mouthfeel ... tasted like it came off a nitro tap.

This is a very easy to drink RIP ... I'd hate to see what would happen to me if I could find this on tap in DC.

Probably one of the finest RIPs on the market right now. I'm a big fan of Stone's RIP and until I tried Sexual Chocolate, I'd thought it was the only respectable version of this style. This is one hell of a beer. All I can really say is, find it, by it (en masse if possible), covet it, and drink it. An incredible beer ... can't wait till it makes its way to DC!

05-29-2008 12:52:15 | More by Jaynuze
ATLbeerDog

4.78/5  rDev +15.7%

Jun 25, 2008
Bottle 271/500 - Pours pitch black with a 1/8 inch caramel colored head. Super heavy lacing clings to the glass. Aroma of deep roasted malts, chocolate and coffee. First sip - the coffee really dominates with the chocolate coming through next followed by the rich malts. There are hints of vanilla and licorice. The whole thing really works as all the flavors blend beautifully together. Complex but not as complex nor as thick bodied as Dark Lord. None the less, this is World Class

06-30-2008 20:21:06 | More by ATLbeerDog