Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Reviews: 442 | Hads: 1,215
3.68/5  rDev -10%

On tap in Athens, GA.

Pours black with a fluffy tan head. Looks nice.

Nose is heavy with cocoa. Sweet roasted malts linger in the background. Approachable is a fitting description.

Taste is mildly bitter chocolate. Pretty straightforward, really. The bitterness lingers lightly on the palate.

Mouth is on the light side of rich, if that makes sense. It's fuller than medium, but it isn't decadent or anything.

Overall, it's a decent chocolate stout. Nothing to go crazy trying to trade for, but worth trying if you get a shot.

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Bomber of the 2012 vintage, courtesy of Kingkong, poured into a 25cl Duvel tulip.

A: Deep black body under a solid finger of fine light-brown head. Good retention and light lace. Excellent.

S: Rich and roasty, with lots of coffee, dark chocolate, spice, and some aromatic herbal hoppiness. Really nice.

T: Follows the nose, with huge, bitter roastiness up front, rich chocolate midway through, and more chocolate on the long, silky finish. Coffee on the aftertaste. Really, really tasty.

M: Medium-to-full body, with lots of fine, creamy carbonation. Perfect.

O: Wow, I was not expecting to be so impressed by this beer. I've tried a couple past vintages in small samples, and never thought it was anything better than mediocre - too thin, too bitter, and lacking chocolate. This year's is simply the opposite, being rich, strong, chocolatey, and well-balanced between sweet and bitter. Awesome stout!

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

A growler fill from GBX poured into pint glass. Beautiful dark black pour with no chance of light getting through! A generous mocca head stays for a bit and provides adequate lacing. Smell is of roasted malts, chocolate and cocco. Taste was just a little disappointing for me. I will preface this by saying, I got the last fill out of the station. Actually only got about 3/4 fill on my growler. It had quite a bit of a metalic taste to it and strong booze quality. With all the hype, I was wanting a smooth mix of booze, chocolate and malts but it just wasn't there. Feel was nice and creamy, like a good RIS should be. Adequate carbonation. Overall- I want to try this again and think it may have been an outlier due to the bottom of the keg. Just okay and letdown with the taste-

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

growler from GBX poured in a pint glass

appearance: Dark, no light is getting through this baby, not even around the edges. Caramel colorerd head foamed up about 3/4 inch and faded to thin layer of bubbles.

taste: I definitley get some roasted malt, little bourbon, and dark cocoa.

taste: sweet right off the bat, with some nice booze and noticeable hops. Slight chocolate theme throughout continuing in the aftertaste.

mouth: low carb and a little oily.

overall: this is a great beer that I have been wanting to try for a while. This beer is deservedly hyped. Ill def buy again if I can find it.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

Wife picked this up for me at the CBX, on tap. I've been waiting to finally get this for 2 or 3 years now, my ship has come! I was worried that all the hype on this beer would leave me disappointed. Glad to say, it lived up to the hype. While it's not the greatest beer I've ever had, it was a solid one. From the strong cocoa smell, to the dark color with the thick tan head, to the smooth finish. The taste was a good balance of malt, cocoa, and slight hops. Even though the alcohol is around 10%, it's hidden well. This beer makes a great night cap. I'm happy I finally got to try it.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Shared this bottle with my wife. We both used our cantillon tulips.

Very dark thick with a dense head very big tan and hugs the glass 4

The aroma is sweet choc with big figs and a big roasted smokiness at the back not sure what I think.

The tastes reminds me of melted chocolate icecream very light body creamy but the carbonation becomes dry and the roast and smoke lingers 4

Overall great beer

3.76/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

January 2011 release

A: Poured into a Captain Lawrence Tulip a frothy mocha head with very heavy lacing.

S: Dark roast coffee, some malt sweetness, and a well bittered cocoa aroma.

T: Taste is very oaky, with some smoked malt, bitter astringent chocolate flavors and a lightly ashy finish.
There is definitely some malt sweetness but they are quickly countered by the hop bitterness and astringent flavorings I am picking up from the earthy dark roasted malts. Seems to be more bitter than I like in an imperial stout, also slightly less sweet than I typically like, but this definitely captures the style well in flavor. I think the cocoa nibs have contributed a more earthy bitter flavor than I may have anticipated.

M: Thick mouthfeel, light to medium carbonation. Very good here.

O: Overall, this comes together nicely. There is a more earthy flavor in here, but I sense it is well attenuated and not leaving behind overly sweet flavors like many of the high abv RIS of today are leaving behind. Recommended, but would not sell your arm and leg for a taste.

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured on tap at the brewery in Winston Salem
Into a small pilsner glass (i believe it was the release party and they were out of appropriate glassware, even saw it served in a highball glass)

A: Black, 1.5 fingers width of dense mocha colored head with great retention. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

S: dark fruits, roasted malt, chocolate (more milk chocolate with some bakers), plum, toasted nuts, some booze

T: Big roasted malt character, dark chocolate and mild hop bitterness on backend. Later in the drink, dark fruits come out particularly fig, and the dark chocolate gets stronger. Its sweeter than a lot of ris, and there a touch of a certain spice that I can't put my finger on but is pretty unique for the style.

M/d: Pretty smooth but not incredibly,  medium bodied, but too thin. Fails to coat the palate like the best in the style.  Served far too cold but still relatively easy to drink. Definitely could have been fuller/thicker.

O: Overall, a real good beer but nothing spectacular.  Certainly worth trying if you get the chance but there are many better RIS out there.  Would like to find a bottle so I can drink it at the right temperature from the correct glassware.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

thanks to sean for this

pour was deep black but very little head

coffee and dark bitter chocolate with a roasted charcoal malt.

very similar to nose. this was obviously fresh but all in all, very well balanced and not harsh in any way.

full body with a nice moderate carbonation. a bit of bite and some dryness.

a pretty good stout that has eluded me for years, glad to finally taste it. i would seek this out again.

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

Nice if a bit overhyped imperial stout

Presentation: 12 oz tap serving at the Foothills brewery-pub in downtown Winston-Salem. Noted as special release on menu and chalkboard. Served in a short glass.

A - Black pour with a thin creamy head, fair retention, and some touches of lacing. This glassware is an odd choice… But OK, it is how the brewery serves it.

S - Roasted malt notes, touch of chocolate, coffee…

T - Expanded nicely in the palate, roasted malt, touches of chocolate, coffee, small bitter hoppy touch and a bitter-sweet sense with a hint of vanilla.

M - Medium-full body and carbonation with a nice smooth and creamy sense.

O - Nice stout, glad I got to try it...

Notes: This is good, not deserving the kind of hype I perceived kind of good but good in any case. Supposedly I was lucky to reach the last keg on this work visit to Winston-Salem, and taste the batch done on the premises. I was told that the one I tried in a bar nearby came from the batch brewed at the new location. From one day to the next I could not sense the difference. The second time around I had it on a pint shaker glass, typical reaction: good for the size, but again wrong glassware. Probably this brew shines more if served properly.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 version, on tap at Sexy Chocolate Day 2011. Pours with a little head, tan lacing, a slight chocolate aroma, I was expecting a bit more chocolate, it was a bit subdued for me. Still, extremely smooth, well worth the hype, if only I was just getting a bit more rubustiness and full chocolate. I still like it.

3.08/5  rDev -24.7%

My girlfriend and I opened this bottle after our Valentine's Day dinner. Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Deep dark black with a very dark brown upper edge. Fluffy, rocky and full tan head. Nice retention cap and big sticky lacing along the glass wall. Great looking beer.

S: Astringent oak, char, slight smoke, dark chocolate and even some faint coffee beans towards the back. It smells nice but all the aromas don't blend very well together. The initial pungent oak-bitter aroma sticks throughout.

T: Well, I hate to say it but this is all hype. Again the initial bitterness of its aggressive hopping (85 IBUs) is still present over a year later in the bottle. Oak, dark malt and more roast come through. There's a nice diversity of flavor but it's not as smooth and easy drinking like others in the style. This is very chaotic in its structure, not very balanced.

M: Slick, smooth and creamy. Nicely carbonated, it feels good in the mouth. Quite dry on the finish though, perhaps from the bitterness?

This wasn't bad by any means although it's nothing world class or even at the top of the Russian Imperial Stout style. And where the hell was the chocolate? There were good amounts of different flavors but they were too choppy, and unbalanced. I have the barrel-aged version which I hear great things about, let's hope that one is a bit better.

4.05/5  rDev -1%

Review 300, had at a gigantic chocolate beer tasting on 14 February 2012.

This pours solid black with one of the darker heads I've seen on a beer. On the nose there is a great deal of roasted malt and dark chocolate, without much in the way of molasses or other elements that make up RIS. In the mouth the roasted malt takes over. I was surprised at how reserved the chocolate is, mixing in well with the other flavors rather than riding over them. The body is just on the heavy side of medium, definitely lighter than your standard imperial stout, but to me that was a bonus here. The finish is long on roasted and chocolate bitterness.

Overall, I was very happy to try this, but there are plenty of shelf brews that exceed this.

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

A: This poured an opaque black with thick dark tan head.
S: It smelled like rich dark chocolate and dry cocoa powder, with some roasted coffee and alcohol.
T: It tasted like bitter dark chocolate and dry cocoa powder, with some espresso and alcohol. It had a clean bitter and hot aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Fairly thin body.
D: This was a decent chocolate stout, but nothing special. The scent and taste were enjoyable but basic. The body was a little weak. And the finish was very hot, so it must be sipped. Might improve with age if it mellows a lot, but fresh honestly isn't very impressive.

Tryed this on tap @Lindley Park Filling Station last night (2-10-12) and it's the 2nd time within a week that I've had Sexual Chocolate. I had the pleasure of experiencing the 2010 Sexual Chocolate Barrel Aged over Cocoa Nibs last Saturday @ the 1st Annual Raleigh Rare & Vintage Beer Tasting. Now that was 1 hell of a great beer. The 2012 draft version was not that impressive. Don't get me wrong, it's a great NC beer by a great NC brewer. But as far as a great beer in the grand scheme of Russian Imperial Stouts, it's excellent; but not great. While it is a brilliant marketing ploy to release 4000 bottles directly at the brewery only (which would piss me off if I was a store carrying all Foothill's other brews). Lesson learned, don't buy into all the hype/local cultist following; judge for thine self. There are just to many superior Russian Imperials (Old Rasputin, Brooklyn Dark Chocolate, Stone, Samual Smith's, Founders, and Siberian Night .. to name a few) that are readily available seasonally to even consider standing in line for 6+ hours (although I'm sure the beer share in line is way cool) on pre-release morning. Don't get me wrong, I am not bitter, nor mad; I like Foothills and love thier brew pub. It's just dissappointing to experience my 1st Sexual Chocolate year, with all of it's hype and national news coverage and then to experience it and have your sails deflated. If this brew came out of Wyoming, they would be lucky to sale 4000 bottles in a season, but here in NC that amount dissappears in less than a dozen hours. Kinda sad really. I'll try it again on tap if it's available, but for me; actively seeking it out is not on my things to do list.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

on-tap at Fat Frogg

Appearance is as near to black as possible with a brown creamy head and clinging cream lace. Very dark coloration. The head recedes to a ring. Smell is roasted malt, coffee grounds, and, for lack of a better word, wetness. Taste is deliciously malty and full with smoky roasted notes and a good amount of coffee. Some alcohol warming in the throat and a bitter finish. Mouthfeel is extremely creamy and heavy body with a slight metallic feel.

Well, this is the most I've paid for a pint so far (10 bucks). This is a great beer but doesn't meet the hype (what does?). A nice and full beer that, despite the name, doesn't have that much chocolate going on. Very drinkable and hides its alcohol well. No wateryness to speak of and nothing wrong with it at all. The metallic notes remind me a bit of a Baltic porter.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

2012 brew

A - Pours a dark coffee/black color with a light brown head. The froth looks as if its a creamy foam mixed in with cocoa giving it a brown color.

S - Earthy, coffee dry malt bomb. There's actually a burnt malty smell in there as well which is different. Some dark sweet fruit in there too.

T - Hints of dark chocolate with a big malt flavor. Some hints of coffee in there as well.

M - Mild to medium carbonation and a smooth texture.

O - Always enjoy waiting in line for this one.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at Wine 101 in Wake Forest.

Pours pitch black with a big cappuccino head that has great retention. The nose is rich, chocolaty, and roasty. The flavor is also rich and chocolaty as well as roasty and coffee-like. The finish offers some faint alcohol phenols. The mouthfeel is a little thin, but the carbonation is just right.

This is smooth, drinkable, and very enjoyable. The mouthfeel could be a little fuller, but overall it's warm, delicious, and very enjoyable. It's worth checking out.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Foothills glass (which somehow wound up in my car at the end of the evening).

A: Jet black pour, proud foamy head & gentle lacing throughout.

S: Malty chocolate goodness.

T: Malt, bittersweet chocolate, molasses and a smidge of alcohol.

M: Typical RIS, little thinner than I would expect but that's always been the case for this brew and I can't fault it for that.

O: It's tough to measure the worth of a beer with this much hype. I fully understand folks who work their butts off to try this and find it falling short of their expectations; however, I live in NC - couple hours from the brewery, so I'm lucky enough to have this beer on draft (bottled if I work for it) many times each year, and while it's hyped to the nines, it's also a damn good beer. The rarity definitely drives the craving for this beer but let's not lose the fact that it's damn good.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

@ Woody's

Ah, my yearly single glass of Sexual Chocolate. At least it was a big pour. Pitch black body under a slim creamy coating. The initially mild aroma began to come alive as it warmed up...dark chocolate, molasses, and purple fruit. It's not super chocolaty so much as a hefty dose of roasted malt with dark chocolate undertones. More of a chocolate presence in the mouth - though again, nothing overly rich and decadent. Semi-sweet chocolate, abundant roast, dark fruity tartness, and ground espresso beans. Full, silky smooth mouthfeel goes down very easily without any perceivable alcohol.

I've never had this from a bottle - standing in line in the cold, pre-dawn doesn't interest me...too much hype. On tap though, when I can find it, it is always excellent.

3.77/5  rDev -7.8%

After hearing the hype for so long, I finally was able to get a pint on tap. Overall I really felt like this beer, while good, was nothing special and rather disappointing in that regard.

A: Looked like a stout -
S: The best part of the beer - some chocolate, some roasted malts.
T: Again, a good stout but nothing that really grabbed my attention. Not nearly as sweet as Southern Tier Choklat (which may or may not be a good thing depending upon your taste). For me, I would expect a stout with this name to be sweeter and have more a pronounced chocolate flavor. Noticeably bitter finish.
M: Not bad. Very stout-like.
O: Not a bad stout, but IMO didn't live up to the hype.

4.26/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Managed to get a couple bottles of this rarity. Had 2011 vintage on tap once last year and was pretty impressed.

A - Hard to describe this style without being redundant. Pitch black, creamy mocha head that sticks around for quite a while.

S - Good not great. Chocolate dominates, dark, bitter notes along with some fruity characters and a hint of alcohol.

T - Huge bitterness up front (85 IBU) - most of flavor has that rich coffee and dark dark chocolate. At the end there's a bit of that fruitiness that tends to come up in this bigger stouts.

M - Creamy, medium-full, but not viscous. It works with that light carbonation - not sticky/sweet.

O - I think this is a really good imperial stout. It's worth seeking out but I wouldn't stand in-line for it at 3 am. Doesn't quite hit that upper tier but is really nice.

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%

I had to rush over to Tyler's in Carrboro to try it from a keg to save my bottle to share with dakkon54!

Had to be forcefully poured from the tap. White head floats atop a black body.

Hm smell is actually reminiscent of Siberian Night. Light for a Stout, but still a good bit or dark roasted malt. Decent amount of dark bitter chocolate and espresso,

Hm taste isnt what I expected. With a name like Sexual Chocolate, I was expecting extreme chocolate, but what I get is an upfront bitterness from the dark chocolate and espresso that fades into a clean dark chocolate feeling. Still really good, but not world class.

3.41/5  rDev -16.6%

Pours black in color with a dark brown head which leaves behind a one-finger lacing throughout. Lacked the nice aromatics I was hoping to pick up on with this special-release brew which was the suggested big chocolate aroma with notes of espresso, blackstrap molasses, dark sweet toffee and dark fruit as the brewery suggested. There was a rough dark chocolate backbone with complex notes of coffee, dark toffee and dark fruit that didn’t sit well with me. I was hughely disappointed with this brew as I traded big for this one and Draft Mag rated this a must-try top 10 beer in 2011.

3.41/5  rDev -16.6%

2010 vintage poured into some Lost Abbey stemware.

Appearance: Pours out dark brown that looks almost opaque when in the glass. I do detect some garnet hues around the edges, which is unexpected. About 1" of khaki colored head forms, which has nice retention and lacing. Seems a bit light in color and in body, but the head retention makes up for that somewhat.

Smell: Well this is a big smoke and roast bomb. Extremely big smoke component in this. Not really getting much else on the nose to be honest. Possibly a bit of sweetness. Milk chocolate?

Taste: Big smoke and roast component, once again on the palate. There is some sweetness that shows in the form of liquorice notes. Tastes better than it smells, but still too smoke dominated.

Mouthfeel: Body is definitely short of full; more in the medium body range. Moderate to low carbonation, which is the only reason this beer drinks smoothly at all. Overall, this is an interesting take on a RIS. Too smoke heavy and one dimensional. Definitely not my favorite from this style.

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub