Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Ratings: 1,185 | Reviews: 447
4.53/5  rDev +10%

bottle #908/1000. split between 3 drinkers.

A- pours pure black. no light coming through. produced a thin film of dark brown head that reduced to a collar. little to no lacing but it's thick enough to coast the side of the glass.

S- uhh...well..chocolate is appropriately the strongest of the aromas. a little dark fruits and roasted mixing in there too.

T- the roast character really shines in the taste. there is a ton of chocolate that mixes very well with the coffee. some sweetness is evident and welcome as it helps all the flavors cover up every bit of the 10%. again a little dark fruit in the finish. such a delicious beer.

M- the carbonation is subtle and right on for the style. full in body but not the thickest of RIS's.

D- it's a shame this stuff is so hard to obtain because I could drink this stuff all the time. maybe not everyday at the $15/bottle but if available I would always have a stock of bottles.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

2012 brew

A - Pours a dark coffee/black color with a light brown head. The froth looks as if its a creamy foam mixed in with cocoa giving it a brown color.

S - Earthy, coffee dry malt bomb. There's actually a burnt malty smell in there as well which is different. Some dark sweet fruit in there too.

T - Hints of dark chocolate with a big malt flavor. Some hints of coffee in there as well.

M - Mild to medium carbonation and a smooth texture.

O - Always enjoy waiting in line for this one.

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours jet black with a very light 2 inch head. The retention on this is decent but not impressive.

Smell - this threw me for a loop. Very smoky! Smoky chocolate, smoky malt, and tiny hint of alcohol.

Taste - follows the nose to a T. Tons of smoky malt and chocolate. Very smooth. Lingering of some smoky malt in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - simple and easy to drink. Not too much over powering. Very smoky.

Overall - its good but not great. I enjoyed it but its too much like the Alaskas smoked Porter and that's more available than this.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Thanks to stopbarking for sharing this at the BA tasting.
Poured into a 2 oz sampler glass. 1 finger brown head. Opaque black.
Smell is chocolate, roasty , slight hoppiness - the spicy kind.
Taste molassesey bittersweet chocolate. Very well balanced.
Creamy smooth mothfeel.
Drinkability - excellent. Just like a tasty dessert. No notice of the 10% alcohol

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Courtesy of drunkmonk. Thanks Joel.
Bottle # 181/500

Pours black like an overdue oil change. Brown head falls quickly to a ring around my glass. Strong roasty smell of chocolate and coffee. Some pine and licorice aromas were also detected. The first initial sip, I tasted flavors of dark chocolate followed by black coffee. Finishes with a bit of crisp citrusy hops. Some bitter chocolate lingers. Alcohol is barley noticeable, just some slight warming in my chest. Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and slightly heavy. Overall, drinkability is fantastic. I would agree this Imperial Stout lives up to the hype. Highly recommended!

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

10oz draft pour. The head was pretty stellar.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

A couple of great BA's hooked me up with bottles of this highly sought after limited release beer. Thanks to ipa247 and cashew70. These guys are great traders and great beer friends. I raise my snifter to both Jeff and Carl!

A - Other than the label on the bottle (still one of my favorites), this is the best part of the experience. Pours dark with a very nice tan head that looks great in the glass. Great!

S/T - A slight disappointment in that the choc is very reserved (as others have said countless times). What you get is a deep taste of roasted malts and a bit of licorice, coffee, and some bitter chocolate. Good, but I would like to see them raise the choc profile a tad.

M- Very good. Nice and rich, almost the next level up in rating for me (where is the 4.25) when you need it. Drinks very nice.

D - Enjoyable. I actually would like to do a blind test with the Stone RIS. The last Stone RIS that I had (a 2007 which had mellowed nicely) tasted very similar to me.

Thanks again to these two great BA's for showing me some Sex Choc goodness. Would I search this one out and trade my best beer for it? Probably not, but I still enjoyed the experience very much. I just prefer a couple of other stouts much more. Still, very happy to have had the opp to try this one, never thought I would get that chance.

4.71/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just had a 2012 from a 22 purchased at the brewery - which makes it better automatically.

Still one of the best imperial stouts out there. The dark brown-almost black color; the smell is completely giving of all its notes - roasty chocolate is completely apparent.

The taste is smooth, not over taken by its alcohol, chocolaty greatness, and semi-sweet.

I have several more of these, including ones back to 2010 and I can't wait to get to the rest!

Get your hands on these. Foothills is nailing this one.

4.73/5  rDev +14.8%

I was thrilled to try the 2008 on tap at the 2009 bottle release. After standing in line for hours, I can safely say it was well worth it. Poured into a snifter, it is a deep, dark ink black color and a fairly thin dark brown head. It sure looks incredible, and smell doesn't let down either, the intense chocolate, burnt coffee, and strong malts combine to make quite the enticing aroma. This 2008 vintage blows you away in the taste department. It seems the alcohol has muted enough to allow all the other flavor components, the chocolate, the coffee, the malts, to overtake the flavor. It is a dense beer, but far thinner than the 2009 release, I assume due to aging. The subdued carbonization is also nice. All combine to make strong RIS, in both flavor and ABV, that still tastes, and drinks easy. I am thoroughly impressed, and may now have to hold off those '09 bottles for a while.

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Had as part of a wonderful 3 year vertical at the Flying Saucer in Charlotte, NC!

It poured a deep and opaque black color with a dark brown head. There was a big chocolate aroma with notes of espresso, more chocolate and a subtle following of molasses, dark sweet toffee and dark fruit. Smooth dark chocolate backbone, both bittersweet and malt, with complex notes of coffee, dark toffee and dark fruit. Each sip leaves you craving another. This Imperial stout weighs in around 10% ABV and is worth every bit of hype it gets!

3.03/5  rDev -26.5%

Thanks to Bucketboy for this beer.

A - Pours a semi dark black, with a bright tan head. The beer looks oily, and the head lasts and sticks inside the glass. Perfection.

S - With a nice lasting head, there was quite some nose in this sucker. However, not the best. I expected more chocolate. I get a lot of roast and sweet malt, but where is my Dark Chocolate? If you are going to advertise a Chocolate, and talk about it on the bottle, represent. Sweet malt dominates the nose, and it isn't the most pleasing aroma.

T - Ah, there is the cocoa. Right as the first wave of flavor dashes in, the cocoa hits you, but it quickly diminishes. Where did it go? Where is the chocolate buttery goodness? It's gone. Quick to make up for the flavor loss is roasted malt, with a slight coffee kick. No dark fruit sweetness like the label describes, just roasted and smoky, almost burnt tasting, malt. Oh well, I will continue to enjoy my initial flavor wave with every sip. The ending flavor of the beer is just not good. Don't smoke the Chocolate Beers please, bad combo.

M - very well done. If any improvements could be made, perhaps a tad more carbonation for an added boost of explosion. The beer coats the mouth, the body is very noticeable, and this is not a weak thin stout, and that deserves praise.

D - At 10%, this beer is one I could drink all night. If not for the taste being rather lack luster, this beer would score a 5 on drinkability.

O - The beer is a huge letdown. I expected more cocoa and buttery sweetness, like other delicious chocolate stouts. What we have is another roast bomb. I hope the BA versions could top this, and mellow out that harsh roasted flavor, as I have 2 of them. Biggest disappointment of 2011 so far. Shame too. Glad I got to try it though.

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

A growler fill from GBX poured into pint glass. Beautiful dark black pour with no chance of light getting through! A generous mocca head stays for a bit and provides adequate lacing. Smell is of roasted malts, chocolate and cocco. Taste was just a little disappointing for me. I will preface this by saying, I got the last fill out of the station. Actually only got about 3/4 fill on my growler. It had quite a bit of a metalic taste to it and strong booze quality. With all the hype, I was wanting a smooth mix of booze, chocolate and malts but it just wasn't there. Feel was nice and creamy, like a good RIS should be. Adequate carbonation. Overall- I want to try this again and think it may have been an outlier due to the bottom of the keg. Just okay and letdown with the taste-

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

On tap at Tylers in Durham as part of its 08 debut. Pours jet black, no lite penetrating at all as its held to the light. A quarter inch dark tan head escapes not long after my first sip. A ring of steady lace remains. The aroma at first is more subdued. At first just hints of semisweet chocolate and roasted malts. As this beer warms the aroma's really get much more complex, Caramel and charred fruit. Faint hints of anaise as well. The taste starts with a soft bakers chocolate sweetness and caramel undertones. The hops sneak in and assert themselves on your tongue. A warming begins down your throat after a few sips. The mouthfeel is moderate and extremely creamy and smooth. By the time you start to realize the strength of this beer you look down and your Foothills tumbler is almos empty. This beer is much too easy to drink for it's strength. A complex brew that's hard to keep away from your nose and your gullet. Highly Recommended.

2.96/5  rDev -28.2%

Let's go hawks! Thanks glazeman.

Appearance is nothing too special - black with a one finger light tan head that fades to a nice film of bubbles.

Smell is nonexistent. I get nothing. Reminds me of a Guinness...

Taste is the best part for sure - harsh coffee roasts through out are the most dominant flavor. There is a little bit of chocolate and dark fruits as well.

Mouthfeel is too thin.

Overall, this beer is thin, bland, and way overrated.

4.61/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this on - really looking forward to it!

A: Pour is black as night. Looks like molasses. Thick and viscous. Great looking 2-2.5 finger of dark tan head.

S: Smell of deep roasted malts and some chocolate, a bit of dark fruit and coffee.

T: Complex. Trying to nail down what it is on the front of the tongue. Some vanilla? Dark cherry? Middle and back are much clearer. Ton of malt and chocolate and some smoke in the middle followed by a strong coffee bitterness.

M: Medium to full body. Carbonation seems right

D: High in general and very high for the style. Now I gotta get a bottle (hopefully 2) to try!

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to pecorasc for opening this one. Bottled Feb 2010. Bottle # 521/1000.

A: Dark black that slightly fades to dark brown around the very edge of the glass. Finger width of head. Thin film on top throughout the entire time I drank this beer.

S: Lots of chocolate. Some hints of nice roasty malts and some dark fruit. Lots of vanilla.

T: Great flavor. Lots of dark chocolate up front, that turns to roastiness in the finish. Picking up some dark fruits and some sweetness too.

M: Medium carbonation, but i marked this down a little because this beer is a little on the thin side.

D: Had good drinkability. RIS at 10%? Didnt really even notice the alcohol. Very well blended beer. Everything works well together.

Good beer overall, and I would definitely drink this again.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle of 2011

A: Pours black with a thick, creamy layer of brown head.

S: Lots of dark fruit, with some roasted malts and hints of coco.

T: The roasted malt is very pronounced in the flavor. Meanwhile the dark chocolate and dark fruit take a back seat to the malt. Well balanced.

M: Very soft and creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is there but does not assault the tongue. The finish is very easy.

D: A very drinkable beer. I thought this beer was going to have a stronger chocolate flavor, however I appreciate the balance in the mouthfeel and flavor. The 9.7% abv goes virtually unnoticed in the finish. This beer certainly lives up to the hype.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

This is an exceptional beer, but not worth getting up on a saturday, and waiting in line for. Kegs get to places other than the brewery, and you can enjoy the beer in the comfort of your favorite stool!

The beer is super dark, and the head is a dirty bone white

The smell is phenomenal, and is surpassed solely by the taste of this beer. the ABV is high, and while you can taste this it's not the most present taste, the chocolate, and hints of oak are what leave your lips as you lower your beer.
Warning, dont drink 2 and post!

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had a 9 year vertical from 2007 to 2015. '07, '12 and '15 were the best in my opinion with solid cocoa in the nose. They had smooth silky bodies and nice chocolate notes. The '12 and '15 had a very nice espresso finish. '09 and '14 were the worst being very thin and off putting with some astringent bitterness at the finish and some soy sauce like flavors. Overall a good beer that pours a rich brown and start a great bottle share tradition at the brewery on release days.

4.73/5  rDev +14.8%

What an incredible beer! I was able to try this beautiful creation at SAVOR in DC, so please excuse my recollection.

Pours jet black with a light brown head.

The nose is very subtle, though one can detect coffee and chocolate.

Tastes like the name says! Big chocolate and coffee notes yet very smooth ... not a lot of heat like you find in other RIPs.

Smooth mouthfeel ... tasted like it came off a nitro tap.

This is a very easy to drink RIP ... I'd hate to see what would happen to me if I could find this on tap in DC.

Probably one of the finest RIPs on the market right now. I'm a big fan of Stone's RIP and until I tried Sexual Chocolate, I'd thought it was the only respectable version of this style. This is one hell of a beer. All I can really say is, find it, by it (en masse if possible), covet it, and drink it. An incredible beer ... can't wait till it makes its way to DC!

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

Filled at The Charleston Beer Exchange filled on 2/15 enjoyed on 2/17 poured into my Duvel glass.

A: This is the "black stuff" as the Brits refer to their stouts. Motor oil black with a dark caramel head of about 1 1/2 finger head.

S: Chocolate and coffee with some wonderful earthy notes.

T: Roasted dark chocolate and the slight spice kick associated with dark chocolate or with a ligero cigar. Roasted malts. Hops are not really noticeable on my palate.

M: Very thick. Just right for a stout of this caliber, creamy with a low amount of carbonation.

D: High, at about 10% ABV i was feeling it halfway thru my first glass, so I cant recommend this on an empty stomach or when you need to do something afterword. But it is fantastic after a large meal. Skip desert and drink this.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

This was a gift from Mikesgroove, who started a Lottery-It-Forward. I still can't believe I'm getting the chance to try this - my first 'hand-numbered' bottle (#378/500), and one I never could have gotten or traded for on my own. Thanks Mike!

This puppy is black, with the darkest ruby-hued head I've ever seen. Aroma is a high quality dark chocolate, maybe some espresso or coffee grounds. Taste is the same great dark chocolate, slightly sweet, turning astringent on the finish. Really no harsh alcohol to this one, just a nice warming feeling. There's something in the aftertaste I'm having trouble putting my finger on - astringent, metallic, I'm not sure. It's got a surprising little hoppy kick to it, keeping it crisper than most RIS's. Quite a bit of fine carbonation, too, keeping it light on the tongue. Glad I split this bottle with a friend - Very enjoyable, but I don't think I could really do justice to a full bottle.

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Bottle 258/500, shared with balberts after getting it in trade from Shuajw. Thanks again.

A - Thick and black, little to no head, quite viscous as it pours.

S - Roasted barley, not as much chocolate as I would have expected.

T - Nice, complex smokeyness complimenting notes of sweetness and chocolate near the end. Leaves a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

M - Slightly carbonated, thick and smooth.

D - I'm not sure this is even relevant here, as the chances of following the first bottle with the second are almost none...

This is a great, complex stout that I wish I could get more of. I am glad I had the opportunity to try this from this brewing. There was a lot of hype surrounding this beer, and I think I can honestly say that it has earned at least most of it. Thanks again for the bottle Josh.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

# 307 of 600
This was to celebrate the first born of my beer partner so Sexual Chocolate was perfect.

A- Obsidian in color with a lacey milk chocolate head.
S- malted chocolate milk, vanilla, mild coconut.
T- more of an edge than I expected, nice chocolate flavor with a touch of coffee but distracted by the mouthfeel.
M- medium to light mouthfeel for the style and I was hoping for more.
D- since it is one of 600 bottles made I'll savor it but it still doesn't compare to some of the the other chocolates I've had.

2010 bottle shared last night at a stout tasting.

A: Pours really dark with a nice mocha cap even in my tasting glass. Tons of body on this one, just coats the glass as I swirl away.

S: First and foremost if the chocolate, nice bitter dark chocolate gets pushed to the front by the deeply roasted grains while dark fruit notes float in and out of the mix.

T: I'm getting a lot of chocolate still, as expected, but the cocoa nibs really gave this some nice sweet dark fruit flavors that get brought into balance with the bitter cut. An almost herbal/mineral flavor can be found in the finish. Flavors definitely hang with this one.

M: Medium bodied with carbonation to match, I think a year did this one some good. Body seems spot on with some nice warmth but no real "heat" to speak of.

D: I may now have to seek out the barrel aged version. After getting my bottle last year I was thinking it might actually fall into the over-hyped camp, but considering what I gave up for it I'm very pleased. It really stood out against all the other stouts.

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company