Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout - Foothills Brewing Company

North Carolina, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: LauraAlberts on 07-02-2009

4.97/5  rDev +20%

Courtesy of Jamie and Scott at Foothills. They dropped this keg off after a Draft Promo and great night filled with CornHole, BBQ & Sexual Chocolate.

Appearance: Solid Black - Poured off tap with thick tan head. Nice lacing and head retention.

Smell: 23 Year Old Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon. Cocoa, Chocolate, Malt, Tobacco

Taste: The most bourbony of the Bourbon Barrel aged beers I've had. Over the top! Rich chocolate flavor, tobacco leaf, hazelnut, almond

Mouthfeel: My favorite part. The bourbon leaves the finish so clean and refreshing. This beer has a soft mouthfeel with a nice tannic thick essence.

Drinkability: very drinkable - I had a glass with some good friends last night outside in 89 degree weather. Amazing and refreshing. I highly recommend if you can get your hands on some.

4.89/5  rDev +18.1%

23 year Pappy Van Winkle aged, on-tap at Flying Saucer for Raleigh Beer Week! Served in a tulip glass a deep opaque black with a nice frothy diminishing head that leaves a trace of lacing. The aroma is loads of roasted malts with a nice amount of oak and slight vanilla. The taste is a very smooth, complex blend of of roasted malts, oak, vanilla and Bourbon that leaves a smooth vanilla, cocoa and Bourbon finish. The beer is slightly heavy, but smooth and easy drinking. This is a very enjoyable brew, while it's no Pappy Van Winkle aged Sexual Chocolate, it's still a very special, enjoyable beer.

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed on 8/1

I was fortunate to have this at the Foothills 'Beer School' they held on Saturday August 1st. I tried this first as a sampler but then had a full pint of this afterwards.

A- Pours a jet black with a nice 2 to 3 finger tan head.

S- They aren't exagerating with bourbon barrel aged in the title. This beer reeks(in a good way) of bourbon. The smell was so strong that I could smell the bourbon notes before the server even poured the taster. Behind the bourbon were some mid chocolate and tobacco notes but it is the bourbon that overwhelms the smell of this beer.

T- The bourbon experience does not stop at the smell. The bourbon flavor overpowers you at first taste however it mellows out nicely with the tobacco and chocolate coming through. This is a nice combination of flavors that normally I would not be keen on havinh however it works with this beer. I was blown away at how strong and mellow this beer would be simultaneously. Very good and very dangerous if consumed too much.

I am very sad to know that I had this for one day and will not be able to have this again. I was hesitant at first to try this because of my general lack of interest in bourbon but I am glad that I did. This was a very good brew, so much so that I tried bribing the bartender into selling me a growler, however to my dismay they only had about a pitcher of it left. After having this I would like to have more bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts to see how they stack up. A very good beer indeed.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into an over sized brandy snifter from a growler. Growler obtained from the Piney Grove Green's. Thanks Joe & Wes for getting this one!

A - Black as can be with a light brown head on top. Lots of bubbles running up the side of the glass on this one.

S - Nice smooth bourbon and oak flavor over a dark malty body. Hints of vanilla and sweet notes in their as well.

T - Delicious. Much like the aroma suggests you are getting a nice smooth bourbon flavored brew. The bourbon is the first flavor that is picked up followed with a nice lightly roasted malt flavor. The base beer stands up well to the barrel aging and gives this a nice coffee/chocolate flavor toward the end of your swallow. The bourbon flavor is really smooth in this one and blends with the beer fantastically.

M - medium to heavy body. Light carbonation real smooth creamy mouthfeel. Right on.

D - I could drink this all day. And luckily I have a growler of it so I can! I have a feeling it will catch up to me the more I drink this one. Really drinkable because the bourbon blends in so well. Bravo Foothills. I don't think you have ever let me down and this one is no exception.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Great growler received in trade with jpmclaug. Shared with nonstick...poured into a Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversay snifter.

A - Pours a jet black color with a thick finger of cappucino foam with pretty good retention. Thick "rings" of lacing left behind on the glass.

S - A nice mixture of aromas here. Getting lots of coffee up front in the nose with some bitter dark chocolate, burnt toast, molasses, some vanilla and a smooth, mild bourbon aroma that really sits nicely on top of the other aromas. To me, this is how bourbon barrel aging should be done - not over the top at all...unlike some others, the bourbon only complements instead of dominating...after all, it is beer and shouldn't have its base character obliterated by the barrels.

T - As with the aroma, there is a really nice complexity level and a smooth well rounded overall impression. The roasty grains with its coffee and bitter chocolate character are solid at the base. Bourbon kicks in next, really well adding dimension to the beer without a touch of warmth...not boozy at all. Rich caramel, molasses and creamy vanilla along with some light woodiness and the tiniest hint of dark fruits complete the profile. Barrel aging was integrated about as well as any I've ever had - really impressive.

M - This is another positive aspect of this beer. To me, the Great Lakes BA Blackout sets the standard for mouthfeel for which all others are judged. Although not quite up to that level, this shares a lot in common. Very rich and creamy in feel, super smooth. Full bodied with such a creamy carbonation. Just a touch slick/oily on the tongue, but this is hardly a detractor here. No alcohol/bourbon heat at all and no booziness. Excellent!

D - Drinkability on this really sets a standard for BA beers. This approaches what I'd call my ideal stout. Tons of character - lots of complex flavors and aromas to satisfy any RIS afficionado. Bourbon barrel aging only enhances this. Probably the best BA example I've ever had. The fact that so much can come out of a 7.0% stout only makes this better. Light enough to have a few of these in a sitting without causing you to fall asleep/pass out mid conversation (It's happened before...) Great stout that will sadly probably never be available to the masses - glad I got an opportunity to sample this great stout.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

On-tap at the Thirsty Monk in Asheville on 5/28/10

A - Very dark brown, almost black. Large foamy dark tan head.

S - Bourbon! Touch of oak, tobacco and chocolate in the rear.

M - Dark chocolate, roasted nuts & malt, bit of date sweetness. Pleasant bourbon "burn" in the finish.

M - Smooth and creamy. Bit thinner then expected, but not necessarily a bad thing.

D - Amazing drinkability, could easily enjoy these all day/night long. One of my all-time favorite brews and probably the purest melding of beer and bourbon I've ever had. Great stuff!

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Growler fill from the good fellows at the Greenville Beer Exchange.

A- Dark, black coffee color. Tan, retentive head. Good look for an Imperial Stout

S- The Whiskey is strong with this one... Also has a smell of cocoa/chocolate. A faint sense of oak. All that I would expect from a barrel aged brew.

T-Woof. I have never taken half a shot of good bourbon mixed with a good stout, but I am pretty sure this is what it would taste like in a dream. Bourbon taste up front followed by chocolaty coffee. Finishes with a very light note of oak.

M-Not as full bodied as I would expect but pleasant. Does not have the phenol/alcohol mouthfeel that many barrel aged RIS have. To me, this could be a sessional beer

O-Wonderful beer overall. A microstep below Bourbon County Stout, but for what they are going for Foothills nailed it. Highly recommend this brew

Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout from Foothills Brewing Company