Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout - Foothills Brewing Company

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: LauraAlberts on 07-02-2009

2.75/5  rDev -33.6%

2.78/5  rDev -32.9%

Reviewed from notes taken 4-13-11. Hooked up in a trade from Mikesgroove.

Pours pretty dark and vicious looking into my trusty Darkness snifter. Deep dark brown with a tannish two finger head. I pick up bourbon and molasses right away. Upon my first sip I notice how incredibly thin this is. Carbonation is scant. Based on looks you wouldn't think so. There is literally no other taste than booze. An imperial at 7% you wouldn't expect it to be overpowering, but it certainly was for me. Crap. I mean really? This is falling way short of what I was hoping for. In fact overall it is not good at all and I poured my glass out into the dump bucket. I wasn't the only one either. Almost the whole group did.

Maybe our growler was a touch off or it needed some time to settle. I'll bet the latter. I'd try it again but it commands a king's ransom. One I'm not willing to pay. Skip it.

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

@ Ridgewood

Black with a small, thick white head that retains well and leaves tons of lacing behind. Smells of Bourbon barrel, vanilla, malted milk balls, and dark fruit. Some sharpness is present, but no booziness. Lots of wooden barrel and less Bourbon in the flavor. Things seem to stay brighter than expected, not very rich at all, with light coconut, vanilla, and bitter chocolate topping some charred malts and a bit of alcohol. Medium-plus bodied with a quick, dry finish. I thought this was alright, but the base beer was terrific the last time I had it and the barrel aging doesn't seem to do anything beneficial.

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Growler. Courtesy of Mothman. Pours a nice dark brown black color with a slight tan head. Subtel yet strong aroma of bourbon in the nose. Mouthfeel seems a little on the light side. Good bourbon taste along with hints of coffee and vanilla. Smooth. Drinkable but again, for me, I wish the mouthfeel was just a tinge heavier to really make this a knockout.

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft. Pours black with a tan head. Aroma of chocolate and bourbon. Flavor of bourbon initially with a chocolately finish that lingers. Fairly mellow for a barrel-aged stout. Nice beer (and in general I am not a fan of bourbon-aged beers but this was done well).

3.76/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev -7.7%

on-tap, duckworths park road

appearance: short pour, dark brown body, light brown head

smell: bourbon, vanilla, dry roast and not much else

taste: I think we're coming down from the peak of bourbon barrel aging - by now we've all had 14,000 stouts aged in barrels ranging from bourbon to tequila to god knows what else. So what makes this one special? Nothing really - a pretty average stout base gasping for air in a strong dosage of bourbon. The flavors weren't off by much, but this wasnt one of foothills finer products

mouthfeel: too booze-forward, dry

overall: just ok.

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Low ABV really lets the bourbon through. Enjoyable but would like it more if it were an imperial.

3.84/5  rDev -7.2%