2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout - Foothills Brewing Company

Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout
No picture uploaded.

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: LauraAlberts on 07-02-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 71 | Reviews: 34 | Show All Ratings:
cbros

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed on 8/1

I was fortunate to have this at the Foothills 'Beer School' they held on Saturday August 1st. I tried this first as a sampler but then had a full pint of this afterwards.

A- Pours a jet black with a nice 2 to 3 finger tan head.

S- They aren't exagerating with bourbon barrel aged in the title. This beer reeks(in a good way) of bourbon. The smell was so strong that I could smell the bourbon notes before the server even poured the taster. Behind the bourbon were some mid chocolate and tobacco notes but it is the bourbon that overwhelms the smell of this beer.

T- The bourbon experience does not stop at the smell. The bourbon flavor overpowers you at first taste however it mellows out nicely with the tobacco and chocolate coming through. This is a nice combination of flavors that normally I would not be keen on havinh however it works with this beer. I was blown away at how strong and mellow this beer would be simultaneously. Very good and very dangerous if consumed too much.

I am very sad to know that I had this for one day and will not be able to have this again. I was hesitant at first to try this because of my general lack of interest in bourbon but I am glad that I did. This was a very good brew, so much so that I tried bribing the bartender into selling me a growler, however to my dismay they only had about a pitcher of it left. After having this I would like to have more bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts to see how they stack up. A very good beer indeed.

08-03-2009 22:07:08 | More by cbros
LilBeerDoctor

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft. Pours black with a tan head. Aroma of chocolate and bourbon. Flavor of bourbon initially with a chocolately finish that lingers. Fairly mellow for a barrel-aged stout. Nice beer (and in general I am not a fan of bourbon-aged beers but this was done well).

07-11-2009 17:54:23 | More by LilBeerDoctor
SaCkErZ9

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Served on draft at Laura Alberts in Daniel Island (Charleston), SC, 7.1.09

Nearly opaque black with black grape colored highlights and topped with a slightly mocha colored head. Copious amounts of lacing leave the glass quite cloudy.

Aroma is really bourbony. Vanilla and bourbon are about all the nose encompasses, which, in my opinion, isnt a bad thing.

More bourbon in the flavor. The bourbon really hits me immediately but fades slowly on the tongue leaving a long, slow finish. Was this aged on 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle barrel or was this aged 23 years in a Pappy Van Winkle barrel? Either way, its delicious.

Be ready for some bourbon in this one. One thing I like about this is that it is relatively sessionable. It isnt a huge double stout or RIS so it is a little more enjoyable in my opinion. I really liked this one.

07-07-2009 12:37:55 | More by SaCkErZ9
LauraAlberts

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Courtesy of Jamie and Scott at Foothills. They dropped this keg off after a Draft Promo and great night filled with CornHole, BBQ & Sexual Chocolate.

Appearance: Solid Black - Poured off tap with thick tan head. Nice lacing and head retention.

Smell: 23 Year Old Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon. Cocoa, Chocolate, Malt, Tobacco

Taste: The most bourbony of the Bourbon Barrel aged beers I've had. Over the top! Rich chocolate flavor, tobacco leaf, hazelnut, almond

Mouthfeel: My favorite part. The bourbon leaves the finish so clean and refreshing. This beer has a soft mouthfeel with a nice tannic thick essence.

Drinkability: very drinkable - I had a glass with some good friends last night outside in 89 degree weather. Amazing and refreshing. I highly recommend if you can get your hands on some.

07-02-2009 22:00:28 | More by LauraAlberts