1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Barrel Aged Sexual Chocolate - Foothills Brewing Company

Barrel Aged Sexual ChocolateBarrel Aged Sexual Chocolate

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.75% ABV

Barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout brewed with organic cocoa nibs.

(Beer added by: LilBeerDoctor on 07-14-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 668 | Reviews: 171 | Show All Ratings:
cosmicevan

Note's from Captain Lawrence Rosso Batch 3 release / tasting:

The awesomeness of this event cannot be captured in any manner possible. While walking around with my bottle of 2011 SC pouring for anyone with an empty glass, I bumped into someone pouring the BA version of this beer and since we were both down to our last few ounces in the bottle, we just swapped beer bottles (I hung onto the bottle at the end of the event… it is autographed by the brewer!!!). appearance is same as SC, and I was surprised that this beer had a head since that is a rare event for a bourbon barrel aged beer based on my experiences. Smell is sweet bourbon on top of the chocolate malty goodness of the base beer, really nice. Sweet dark fig, almost…the bourbon sweetness is really nice. OH WOW. This is by far one of the finest bourbon barrel aged beers that I have ever tried. The mix of bourbon with the sexual chocolate is magic in a glass…smooth as day, overall this is a fantastic beer and a 5 across the board.

07-05-2011 04:03:45 | More by cosmicevan
ralflord

Connecticut

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

Unfuckingbelievable! Poured in my Double Bastard glass. Nice rusty brown, root beerish color. Tiny bubbles danced about with virtually no head. Smell was incredible. Light chocolate, vanilla, coffee, and bourbon. The bourbon was mized in nicely, did not overwhelm the beer. Taste was equally great. It mimiced the smells almost exactly, with an expectional balance. Man, do I love BA beers, especially Stouts aged in bourbon/whiskey. This beer got better as it warmed up, and was very easy to drink after awhile, which with it's high abv can cause problems. Definitely on my top 5 beer list. Pursue this incredible beer with the utmost of vigilance.

08-28-2009 13:16:02 | More by ralflord
drperm

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Brewgrass '09. Fill my glass, carefully return to my chair, take out my beer journal, and discriminatingly review. There is no other way to treat this beer.

Appearance: Perfectly opaque black with a brown-tan-caramel head.

Aroma: Roasted German Chocolate Cake, of the most nostalgic-family-reunion variety.

Taste: Bitter, dark chocolate. It tastes like liquid rum cake in my glass. Warming, yet smooth, and it *keeps on going.* Holy moly, I think I need to change my pants.

Palate: Ever-so-slightly hot (keeping it from that elusive 5.0), but mostly smooth. The finish is incredibly complex, like having walnuts in that rum cake.

Overall: Yes, please! Again and again and again, all night long. It's a Rated-R dessert in a glass.

09-23-2009 02:16:08 | More by drperm
newk340

Wisconsin

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

2010 vintage, thanks to hu5om (and e11a627 for getting it for him) for sharing at our christmas tasting!

A: a beautiful black pour, a quickly settling khaki head is observed.

S: a forefront of bourbon followed by sweet chocolate maltiness.

T: similar to smell, an initial warmth of bourbon teases the tongue before phasing into sweet chocolate flavors in a nicely balanced, well rounded flavor.

MF/D: like silk on the tongue, this could be drunk all night. so incredibly smooth.

12-21-2010 18:50:40 | More by newk340
kenneyho

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

One of my favorite BA RIS! Black as oil with a nice 1/2 inch head. Smell of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla and coconut. Great bourbon upfront with nice chocolate and vanilla at the end. Medium mouth feel. Can't wait to try next years. A must get if you can.

2010 Bottle served in snifter.

05-18-2011 22:25:08 | More by kenneyho
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Got a low fill of this from Foothills at the '11 release, so decided to drink this one rather than age...

A- Pitch black, viscous, dark, deathly, bitch of a blackish brew! Large two finger dark brown head, so awesome as usually imperial stouts don't have anything close to a head like this.

S- Thank you Mr. Bourbon and Mrs. Chocolate for making this aroma almost an orgasm in my nose! Also quite a bit of molasses and coffee, caramel, fig, toffee flavors. This is a big bad 80s bitch.

T/M- So smooth. So sweet. So roasty. So awesome! Just an incredible blend and balance of everything you want in an imperial stout. As woody and bourbony as hell. Just unreal. So smooth, slick, and full bodied. Moderate/low carbonation that covers the palate until you get all of the great flavors.

O- One of the top BA stouts out there. So smooth and balanced and full of flavor. I have a few more and can't wait to see.how this ages and do some verticals...

09-09-2011 19:26:32 | More by TheGordianKnot
UNCCTDawg

Thanks to Macky20 for the bottle
2011 Vintage Enjoyed in a Stone 15th Anniversary Snifter

A~ Black in color with a hint of dark brown head. Slight amounts of dark brown glow at the top of the beer. Good looking one finger light mocha colored head that had really good body to it. Great head retention and bits of spotty lacing.

S~ Bourbon Vanilla on the nose with oak and molasses finish. Lots of bourbon and sweet up front.

T~ Is this Sexual Chocolate? Completely different beer than the regular beer, which is not terrible. Much like the smell but a lot more vanilla, bourbon and molasses.

M~ Low carbonation and light body for the style. Very velvety through drinking.

O~ Great BA treatment to an already solid beer. The BA version is right up there with the big boys of BBA beer.

02-27-2012 13:59:51 | More by UNCCTDawg
JohnCLT

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Had on tap at the release. Insanely drinkable for such a strong beer. Strong bourbon nose and taste. Still a stout, still a dark beer. Don't have much to say except that it's on of the best BBA stouts I've ever had, if not the best period. Should be A+ in my book.

11-02-2010 02:31:13 | More by JohnCLT
VaTechHopHead

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%

A - Black as night, pours super viscous for a beer out of the bottle. The head is a nice dark brown but doesn't last. Very nice lacing.

S - Reeks of bourbon, and I mean reeks of bourbon (in a good way). Granted this one is directly from the brewery with no age on it, but it smells fresh and wonderful. The sweetness of the grains cuts through the stingy wood aroma. Zero hop smell (obviously) and some marshmallow, molasses, and faint chocolate in the background.

T - Not as strong on the bourbon as the aroma would suggest but it is definitely the primary flavor, accompanied by some seriously strong grain flavor. The chocolate is a little lost compared to the non-barrel aged version of this beer but the compromises are worth it in my mind. It finishes smooth and semi-bitter from the chocolate added.

M - About as heavy as a beer can get and as little carbonation as you can put in a beer while still maintaining the freshness. The ABV is definitely felt and incorporated into the bourbon flavor but the finish isn't harsh at all. It's an extreme sipper that commands to be shared among friends.

O - Easily the best beer offered from Foothills and it's easy to see why this one won the gold at GABF. An extreme beer meant for extreme enthusiasts. Anyone interested in this style it's a must-try for sure.

07-25-2011 01:58:17 | More by VaTechHopHead
kkipple

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Warning: This review is long. Grab a brew.

So just a few short days ago, a friend of mine sends me a text: "Sexual Chocolate on draft at the Flying Saucer on Thursday!!"

Cool! sez I. Sexual Chocolate 2 miles away from my office downtown, on draft? Yes please! Imagine my shock when I found out a day before the event that there was no Sexual Chocolate, but rather BARREL AGED SC on route. Good grief, what has Columbia done to deserve this? I don't know, but I was there 2 hours in advance of the keg tapping, with friends.

A little background on this gem: This is Foothills highly sought cocoa-nib RIS, socked into a wet Pappy Van Winkle bourbon barrel and left to sit for who knows how long. ABV going in is just shy of 10%, and the Foothills rep (Bless you Scott!) guessed the beer we drank was 10%+ Not that it matters much.

Now, I really like Sexual Chocolate and bourbon is quite fond of me. Obviously, I was already predisposed to liking this sort of thing... that said, I simply wasn't prepared for what arrived in my 10oz glass.

Looks, ok, well, no different than basic SC. A 5 minute-long low dirty red-brown head sits atop an glass of oily darkness.
You know the drill. Let's dive in.

Holy hop bracts, this smells phenomenal. Dense and rich out of the gate, there is everything YOU like about a dessert Imperial Stout nose. Layered roast malts, coffee beans spiked with sugars, lush cocoa (think real hot chocolate), supportive hop bitterness and, crowning everything off, endless waves of bourbon. Oak dryness, woody vinous fruits, deep soil, butter, vanilla, caramel, teasing barrel-spice and a heady booze aroma that, despite going on forever, maintains its place in the grand scheme of All Good Things. The bourbon aroma here is evident and obvious, but it's not brash, hot, or overpowering like some poorer beers. (Black Ops and Rasputin XXI, I'm calling you out!) It just works so, so well and is a rampant joy to smell.

Of course, I haven't even gotten to the flavor yet, but you know what's coming. Everything in the nose is present in equal measure, and by some stroke of luck, works together flawlessly. This is certainly sweet, but what can I say? It's one of the best chocolate beers around lovingly infused and raised to new, absurd heights by the addition of a mellow, smooth and mature bourbon. No hot booze to be tasted, just lush, decadent brownie-batter goodness. So deep, complex and well done that it practically defies description. See: Vanilla Dark Lord, Firestone 11. And yes, I would put it against those beasts any day of the month.

Do I really have to talk about the mouthfeel? Velvet slick, low, fine carbonation, long, lingering fading finish that pulls you back through roasted and burnt grains, cocoa dryness, and wet, lip-smacking, sweet, sweet bourbon. I don't know what the finish is like after very long because I always had another sip in my mouth.

I was going to rate BA SC low on drinkability after my first glass... but it grew on me at an astonishing pace, and I had no trouble putting back four of these at ten ounces each. Many of my friends had 3 or more. I'd go so far as to say it's actually more drinkable than standard Sexual Chocolate. So be it.

The long and short (ok, long) of it is thus: Pappy Sexual Chocolate is just a sublime Beer Experience. From time to time we get these "Dream" moments that remind us why we do this hobby in the first place. You know what I'm talking about. Your first, virginal sip of Double IPA that turns into a mad rush of hop addiction. The first time you "got" a sour, and opened up a whole new vista on your palate. Sharing aged Belgian Quad with friends under stars on a sparking autumn night. You remember the beer, sure, but always in context. The beer helps make the event. And so did this.

Barrel Aged Sexual Chocolate turned just another night at the bar with friends into a joyous, talkative and excited event as we ran from table to table, sharing notes, praising the brew, and ordering it again and again. It immediately flew to the top of my, and 3 other seasoned beer geeks top twenty lists. We're still talking about it the next day.

The one big problem with this beer is that Foothills has now obliterated the previous bar set for themselves. How they are going to top this, don't know, but I'll be the first in line to drink the attempts!

Barrel Aged Sexual Chocolate gets my highest recommendation.

08-01-2009 00:31:58 | More by kkipple
HopHeadLouie

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Sexual Pappy is one astonishingly good brew! So many bourbon barrel beers overwhelm you with essence of booze, but the key note here is balance. Sexual Chocolate is the perfect vessel to deliver the spirit of the spirits and the smooth Pappy van Winkle flavor serves only to enhance the already stellar brew. Waves of dark chocolate and woody vanilla lovingly assaulted my pallet over and over with every sip. The full bodied velvet silky smooth mouth feel, pitch perfect carbonation and luscious dark brown appearance made this a beer experience that I won't soon forget.

Side Note: How I ended up in Hollywood, California drinking a super rare beer from North Carolina is an amazing testament to the power of the beer trading community. Thanks to the efforts of Khiasmus, myself and 6 other West Coast BAs were able to share a Growler of this remarkable beer.

08-08-2009 15:47:45 | More by HopHeadLouie
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Bottle shared by Lunch. Thanks Paul!

Served alongside Sexual Chocolate 2010.

A: This stout has a black body and it is dark brown at the crest when held to the light. There is a thick, beige head that leaves a nice looking sheet of lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is excellent, with notes of bourbon, roasted malt, chocolate, and alcohol.

T: This is worthy of praise. It is very well-balance and incredibly smooth. There are less chocolate flavors than in the standard version. Perhaps they are muted by the strong bourbon barrel presence. This is a pretty complex beer, with the various flavors melding together beautifully.

M: The feel is thick and creamy. The high alcohol content is masked quite well, except for a warming alcohol note in the finish. Very well done.

D: This is an awesome beer, and one of the best barrel-aged stouts I've had. Highly recommended.

09-27-2010 18:37:41 | More by Huhzubendah
jpmclaug

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

This review is from the release in August. I typed up notes in my Droid while the rest of my table were purchasing their bottles.

A - Dark dark brown body almost black with a circle of light tan head that turns into a nice fluffy head when spun in the glass.

S - Smooth bourbon flavor with hints of vanilla and some very sexy chocolate

T - Smooth bourbon flavor with a nice chocolate after taste. The chocolate lingers a perfect mix of milk chocolate with bitter dark chocolate. Bourbon is all up front in the flavor and is real smooth. Really blends well with the beer instead of overpowering.

M - Medium to heavy with a small amount of carbonation and a nice lingering mouthfeel similar to eating a candybar. A bit on the lighter side of the body for an IS but still good.

D - Sooo drinkable... I wish I could drink this all day, barrel flavor is up front but so smooth. I wish I could have so much more. Similar to the regular SC I think you have to want a nice chocolatey stout to really enjoy this.

10-16-2010 15:43:48 | More by jpmclaug
DNICE555

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

The BA Sexy Chocolate. After saving for a while finally sharing with R Moe Nay and Zapps. Poured myself the lion's most likely around 12 ounces. I forgot who traded me this but thank you!!!

Appearance: Dark brown to black body with a beige head. Nice lacing and a dead amount of head.

Aroma: Chocolate, Cocoa Nibs, Caramel, Molasses, Vanilla, and Bourbon. So complex and yet so smooth and balanced.

Taste: Chocolate comes first. Bourbon and oak follow after. The finish is a hoppy dark bitter cooking chocolate balanced nicely with caramel, molasses, and vanilla. Glorious. The chocolate is prominent but not overbearing.

Mouthfeel: Rich, smooth, creamy and carbonation is dead on.

Drinkability: I assume the abv is the same as the reg sexy chocolate. The alcohol is only warming in the slightest. I could sip this beer all night. So thankful to have tried it. Compliments bison chili very nicely.

03-28-2011 20:36:09 | More by DNICE555
khiasmus

4.85/5  rDev +11%

A monster, A monster sliding through this dark tunnel, his brown head rearing up above his black body as he gloats over his prey. Huge vanillas, chocolates, and whiskeys, some delectable, decadent ritual of the aromas, a charred blackness covered by silky sweet notes of impossible combinations.
And thick... my, what a feeling as the sweet dark ritual continues... creamy, smooth, and warm in the throat, a lingering of scotch, a warmth and dryness, but oily and viscous-coated lips...

This beer is what a barrel aged beer should be. Huge notes of the whisky that combine beautifully with the chocolate and vanillin complexities of the beer and make it far, far better. Upon first sip I knew this one was top ten, ever.

It is awesome.

07-31-2009 13:37:49 | More by khiasmus
supermanjace

4.85/5  rDev +11%

Ahhh my Dark Knight of beers. There are so few that live up to the hype that surrounds them. There are so few that really should be held to the standard that is the BA hype machine. But holy macaroni, this one lives up. Anticipated, raved about and well worth it at every turn, tis a real shame this one won't be experienced by more of the faithful seekers here. However, we gave it a good home, here in LA, thanks to a great BA in one of the Carolinas.

A brilliant pour, despite it's cross country journey, billows of head cascade to the top of the glass. Not overdone, but enough to tickle the tongue, the carbonation is just right. And the taste is sublime. My fellow taster, young HopHeadLouie mentions the balance, and he is right. If the draw on bourbon barrel aging for you is the bourbon heat, the feeling you're drinking not a beer, but a spirit, look elsewhere. This is a sublime, chocolate goodness, with merely the hint of the Pappy Van Winkle. Not to say it isn't there, but in line with my Dark Knight metaphor, Pappy is the character actor that comes in, delivers his lines, kicks it's ass but never hams it up, thinking it's his movie. He is the Gary Oldman of this treat.

And what a treat! Far too enjoyable, far too drinkable for its sizable ABV. Man, this is one we shared with a fair number of non BA Sexual chocolate fans, but I feel I Could have (and maybe the hoarder in me wishes I had) enjoyed a far larger amount of this one.

A paramount example of what barrel aging should be about. A phenomenal beer in Sexual Chocolate is made only more layered and more complex by this process. Never losing sigh of the brilliance of the original., not resting on its laurels this beer is just an experience well worth having .

I figure there will be more of this next go round. Make your deals, for you shan't be disappointed.

08-17-2009 04:15:14 | More by supermanjace
atsprings

4.85/5  rDev +11%

First glass served on-tap at the bottle release! This batch is aged in W.L. Weller barells. Served a deep opaque black with a thin diminishing head. Aroma is a bit of oak in front of roasted malts and smooth cocoa. The taste is a wonderful blend of oak and Bourbon in front of bitter cocoa and roasted malts. The beer is very smooth, and easy drinking with its alcohol quite well hidden, bit it is still a real sipper. While I was hoping this release would be Pappy Van Winkle aged, this is almost as good, hands down one the best beers I've ever had.

08-27-2010 20:18:07 | More by atsprings
Freethyhops

Alabama

on tap at the release.

a- pours pitch black. a small amount of dark brown head. some bar light does manage to penetrate the very edge of this one. the small head shows good persistence

s- big aggressive roastiness, a nice woody overtone, bourbon mixes too. some mellow sweetness is evident and a mocha-like tone from the chocolate/coffee mix

t- rich sweet maltiness hits first, cocoa, slight caramel tones, and roasted malts. vanilla like oak and bourbon meld perfectly with the sweet malt flavor. a bit of subtle bitterness rounds this beer out and really makes this a flawless example of what I want from a barrel aged stout. everything works smoothly and perfectly together to make an exceptionally smooth strong ale.

m- smooth and velvety. not overly thick and motor oil like. the viscosity and soft carbonation are perfectly matched to give it the exceptional smoothness. also, for a bourbon barrel aged stout the alcohol is very tame and only has the slightest warming sensation.

d- I ended up getting to tag along to a brewery rep party with a complementary keg of this thanks to hanging out with the right BAs at the right time, so I literally drank this all night. I definitely felt how drinkable this one was the next morning. I don't think I'll have the chance to drink "too much" of this one again, but you bet your ass I could. this stuff is great.

09-29-2010 15:51:32 | More by Freethyhops
Reagan1984

4.83/5  rDev +10.5%

Special thanks to Jimmy J (Draught2012) for bringing this to a recent beer tasting that consisted of mostly classic R.I.S.’s Must be noted that two.. yes two bottles of Kate the Great were dropped and smashed all over my driveway just before the tasting. The stain on my driveway and our hearts remains. (I didn’t drop them for the record)

First had this beer at the ACBF in Boston a couple years ago. It was the hit of the night and we spent the last 45 minutes of the fest drinking and standing in line for this beer alone. I still adhere to the no review rule regarding samples so I didn’t post a review then despite drinking probably close to a bomber by myself. But I loved it then and was excited to share this bottle. Finally, regular Sexual Chocolate is a very good beer, but not epic for me personally. I note this since in my opinion, the barrel aging elevates this beer to another level. Just wonderful.

All the typical visual characteristics of a Russian Imperial Stout. Large dark gold head that builds from within. Lots of retention and lacing.

Aroma is of chocolate, bourbon...vanilla (I love posting that things smell like both chocolate and vanilla...cracks me up) A whiff of light alcohol... very nice and thick in your nostril.

I want to use the cliche here that this whole here is greater than the sum of the parts. I am again referring to how much better I enjoy this vs. the standard Sexual Chocolate. The melding of the flavors is what really shines here. So well rounded and soft, but each note is there. All the same items noted in the aroma... And then they meld if really is a wonderful thing.

The mouthfeel is as soft and well rounded as the flavors. For whatever reason, I think this is one of the greatest differences vs. the standard version. One of my first impressions of that beer was that it was too thin. (just a touch) No issue here.

Great beer and one that should be chased. Well done guys!!!

08-14-2011 17:06:02 | More by Reagan1984
NCBeerFan

4.83/5  rDev +10.5%

I've been patiently waiting to crack open one of these since the release a few months ago…on a vacation with the family in FL, so decided to bring one along for the ride.

Pours a murky black with a very thin mocha head….some ruby highlights around the edges. On the nose, roasted coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and subtle bourbon aromas make their way out of the glass….and it's just such a pleasant melangé of aromas!! The coffee isn't as present in the taste, but the vanilla and bourbon seem to dominate, maybe with a bit of coconut coming through. A lot of BAs criticize this beer for being a bit too thin…and I'm not arguing that point, but it reminds me much of the BA stout offerings from FiftyFifty, and that might very well be some of my favorites….maybe it's not exactly what's expected of the style mouthfeel-wise, but I actually prefer these thinner versions.

Just a knockout BA stout from Foothills and it's no reason this beer has medaled in the last two GABFs (Gold in '10, Silver in '11).

10-17-2011 01:02:19 | More by NCBeerFan
jisom123

Indiana

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks to Bob at the Distributors tent at the Indiana Summer Micro Brewers Festival 2011. I'm not sure how he obtained a Growler of this, and I didn't ask.
This beer stole the spotlight of the event from Founders Cashew Mountain.

O: Its one of those beers that is almost perfect in every way that you can't accurately describe it. If you like Abyss, FW14, Zukhavs, Dark Lord, etc. You will like this.

09-08-2011 22:40:15 | More by jisom123
mdfb79

4.78/5  rDev +9.4%

From 09/25/10 notes. Big thanks to Lunch for sharing this one; thanks Paul!. Tried side by side with a bottle of 2010 Sexual Chocolate that was not infected. Review #700!

a - Pours a very dark brown color with one to two inches of tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate, molasses, and roasted malts. Very balanced; one of the best bourbon barrel aged beers I have ever smelled.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, bourbon, oak, alcohol, coffee, light dark fruits, and chocolate. Not as much chocolate in the taste as regular Sexual Chocolate, which I guess is from the bourbon barrels.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Insanely smooth and easy to drink for a barrel aged beer. I thought the body was much thicker than that of the normal Sexual Chocolate.

d - I loved this RIS; I enjoyed every aspect of it a lot. We tried a few great barrel aged stouts (BA Blackout, Ivan the Terrible) and I thought this was by far the best one. I find normal Sexual Chocolate a very good beer and thought this blew it away. Loved everything about it; would love to try again sometime.

09-26-2010 20:54:36 | More by mdfb79
jayfro70

4.78/5  rDev +9.4%

What a great beer. My first BASC.
2012 bottle poured into a small tasting glass shared with several friends

A - Rich dark black color with very little head.

S - Rich, chocolatey, bourbony smell. All the scents are very easy to pick out and seem very balaced.

T - Everything seems very balanced in this one. Cocoa, vanilla, bourbon. All came through, but none overpowering. My only regret is that this is that I'm tasting the BASC and I've never had the regular SC. Hoping to grab a couple of bottles at the release in a few weeks.

M - Nice thick body with very little head/carbonation coming through. Exactly what I would expect from a strong BA stout.

O - I've heard mixed reviews about the regular version of SC, but I'm very happy with the BA version. Wish I had more...

01-20-2013 15:59:33 | More by jayfro70
twowheelssoar

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Had on tap at Raleigh Times. Did a double take when I saw it on the menu, had to have it.

A - Served in a fluted beer glass, beautiful dark color, very small dark tan head. It just looks chocolatey.

S - Some pretty good nose, chocolate and oak scents, but not quite as fragrant as I had hoped.

T - Wow. This is the most beautiful beer I've had. It hits with delicious rich chocolate and dark fruit flavors and end with a perfect, smooth oaked bourbon finish. No hotness at all, the 10.0% ABV was nowhere to be seen. Perfect.

M - As with regular Sexy Choco, outstanding feel, not too heavy not too thin.

D - I finished the 10oz. glass so quickly that I could have had at least a few more, but one was perfect.

04-24-2010 01:22:59 | More by twowheelssoar
moz9

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

On tap at the release 7-16-2011

I've had quite a few BA stouts and I can safely say that this one is different from all the rest. Because of this uniqueness, I could see some people not liking or being disappointed with the beer. However, I think it should be appreciated for it's unique characteristics and because I think it's an outstanding beer.

Now let me tell you why...

First, the base beer is not an overly thick or viscous imp stout. But anyone who has had SC should tell you that it's NOT thin on flavor. Roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate come through very balanced and the bite at the end is very memorable.

The BA version adds bourbon to the balance and it fits right in. As the last review said, the bourbon is forward but it's not overpowering. The overall experience is a smooth and memorable bourbon flavor that leaves a great aftertaste. Prior to drinking this beer I had sampled many "big" ba stouts, some of which were aged in the same PVW 23 barrels that this beer was and I honestly thought this basc was better than all of them.

This is a very drinkable beer and I think it should be appreciated for it's unique qualities and well balanced bourbon stout taste. Cheers to foothills for making another great beer.

07-18-2011 01:53:10 | More by moz9