Bourbon Barrel Aged India Brown Ale - Foothills Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Brown Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 04-12-2010)
Reviews by atsprings:
4.18/5  rDev +3%

On-tap at Foothills served in a standard pint glass a deep hazy brown with a thin diminishing head that leaves decent lacing on the glass. Aroma is bit of Bourbon and vanilla in front of brown malts. The taste is a bit of Bourbon and oak in front of pine hops and sweet brown malts. The beer is medium bodied with some warmth from the Bourbon. This is certainly an interesting beer, one I would love to find in Raleigh sometime.

atsprings, Nov 21, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

On tap at the Mellow in Greensboro.Poured a hazed chesnut brown with a light tannish colored thinner head,aromas are full on bourbon and caramel malt,the hops are pretty light trying to fight thru the big bourbon aromas.Quite sweet on the palate,alot of brown sugar and sweet vanilla tones,the bourbon is predominant with the hops again playing a secondary role.Iam not as a big a fan as the other bourbon barrel aged beers Foothills have put out that I have tried.

oberon, May 12, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

twowheelssoar, Jun 18, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

On tap at Busy Bee in Raleigh, served in a tulip

A - very dark brown with a thin, dense, off white head that has great retention

S - caramel, bread, sugar, oak, bourbon

T - holy bourbon! the bourbon is super intense with a faint oaky, caramel, alcohol character. There is a very mild hop character that barely fights through.

M - full bodied, smooth, well carbonated

The bourbon barrels seem to overtake this beer. The strong malt character and balanced hops of the original don't seem to stand up to the bourbon. The woody, bourbon notes take over here. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as balanced as it should have been.

tdm168, Jun 17, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

beerFool28607, Jun 23, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +1%

Big thanks goes out to kkipple for sharing this one with the bus this weekend! Served from growler into a Brewvival sampler imperial pint. Poured red brown with a one finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, wood, sweet alcohol, and big dark chocolate. The flavor was of roasted malt, wood, dark chocolate, and sweet alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. I actually just recently had this one on tap and I found the growler to be a lot nicer. The flavors from the growler were more robust and inviting in comparison. The big dark chocolate on the nose really helped out the aroma on this one in a big way. Really glad I got to sample this one again and I suggest you do the same if you get the opportunity.

thagr81us, May 23, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

On-tap at Barley's Taproom & Pizzeria, Greenville, SC. May 2011:

The beer appeared a deep reddish brown with a thin off-white head that was well retained (the thin head I attribute to the bartender), but no lacing to note . The beer gave off a big bourbon/alcohol aroma with a hint of vanilla and oak or earth. An ever so slight hint of hops, but you really have to search for it. The taste is heavy on the bourbon/alcohol, which I think overpowers the taste of the beer too much. Muted hops. The beer had a heavy feel with lower carbonation. Overall, I expected more hops, but overall a good beer.

PhillyStyle, Jun 21, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

Thrilled to death to be able to catch this one. I had heard rumors that it was floating around up in NC but to have it hit the upstate, I am simply tickled. Able to throw down two glasses of this one, I really thought it was a very interesting and very well done experiment.

The pout was a nice and even dark brown color with a smooth and even tan head that stayed at around a finger and a half coating the inside of the glass and really just looking the part very, very well. Aroma is deep bourbon, totally dominant at first. Warming brings out delicate notes of vanilla and hints of wood that are really quite soft and even. Light earthy notes are buried below this. Hints of caramel and toffee now coming forward. First sip reveals a light body, interesting I have to admit and nicely done, making it a little more "light" then some of the other BA beers i have had recently. First sip is a bit hot, with the alcohol really coming forward, but again you really need to let beers like this come up and warm to appriecate what they are. Soft vanilla and wood now coming in and making a very complex and well recieved beer even better. Caramel, grassy notes, roasted nuts and hops coming together with rich bourbon notes, what more could you ask for. Odd finish as the vanilla seems to melt into a bitter coffee and almost sour like finish that confused me but really it worked and I could not say a bad thing.

Overall another intresting treatment from foothills that again, really, really worked. Great job here and glad I was finally able to try it.

mikesgroove, Apr 12, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

Dark brown in color with a thin head. This could be from the pour. Nice appearance but nothing really stands out, but then again I don't buy my beers to look at them. The first thing I notice in the aroma is the bourbon. The second thing is the piney hops with some chocolate and toffee aromas that remind me that this is a brown ale.
I really love how the bourbon is a complimentary flavor instead dominating the beer like so many other BA beers do. The beer is a cornucopia of toffee, chocolate, bourbon, citrus and piney hops. Each playing their part with out really dominating each other. This is a wonderfully balanced beer. Very dry finish with some bourbon and hop kick. I love the finish of this beer. Easy to drink for a barrel aged beer. Foothills has produced another winner here.

wcudwight, Nov 14, 2010

tclapper, Dec 03, 2011

JohnQVD, Jun 03, 2012

FLBeerGuy, Jan 12, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

mwbrady12, Jul 18, 2013
2.7/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a growler into a Bruery tulip on 11.15.2010. Thanks to bmanning for sharing this.

Color is a dark brown with a huge, three-finger tan head to start out what. There is some really nice lacing and quite a few carbonation bubbles floating around on top of the beer. The initial scent brings some slight cherry lactic notes plus a bit of mild bourbon, which comes out more and more as it warms up. There are a few slight hints of earth and pine underneath it all.

The taste confirms that this is definitely sour and something has happened here. Slight lactic sourness and a touch of an acetic character. Midpalate is a bit hoppy with some light earth, followed by a bitter finish. There is some slight bourbon character throughout. Medium body and fairly light carbonation. Light sourness throughout. There's a really bitter and slightly sour finish. It's a strange combination. Others enjoyed this, but it wasn't for me.

Thorpe429, Nov 16, 2010

jaidenjb, Nov 11, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

PuckPuck, Jul 02, 2012

Adamostella, Nov 14, 2011

Appearance: Arrives with a chocolate brown color capped with a smooth film of ecru: leaves a nice pattern of lace

Smell: Brown bread and caamel with a strong undertone of bourbon and vanilla

Taste: Brown bread and caramel, up front, with a surprising hop kick tat shows up by mid-palate; after the swallow, the bourbon and vanilla make their presence felt and leas to a somewhat sweet finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderately high carbonation

Drinkabilitu: Overall, a very nice stab at a barrel aged brew

brentk56, Nov 11, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Had this one at the brewpub last night during "trivia night." Came out a tawny copper-brown, with a thin beige head capping it off. The nose is sweet with vanilla, bourbon, oak, toffee. The mouth is mellow with light carbonation; velvet finish. The barrel-character comes through quite a bit on this one, as it masks the hoppy base that this beer has. Yet, this beer isn't overpowering in its bourbon-character. Vanilla, oak, booze, caramel. Mild bitterness noted, but the hops are near absent. This is a dessert beer if I've ever had one. I was a little hesitant with this style being "barreled," but I would get this again. A treat.

Onenote81, Jun 13, 2012

EasyReader, Nov 15, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Picnic tap in the corner of the brewery during the pre-sex party. The tap handle said "India Brown Ale" so I got some but this was clearly bourbon barrel aged. I tracked down an employee and asked and he confirmed my palate's awesomeness and told me that it was the bourbon barrel version.

Beer is brown and really hazy, tan head, no lacing, nice look to it.

Aroma is woody and bourbony, I don't get a lot of hops in the nose....

Beer is sweet and has this tannic quality to it that is rather nice. It's not a great beer, it's odd but I liked it. The sweetness plays off of the liquor well and the whole thing, although disjointed, was enjoyable. I had two pints of it so I guess the drinkability is good.

drabmuh, Feb 01, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

I'll temper my remarks by saying that this is the first time I've tried an India Brown Ale so I am not that familiar with the style and its requirements. I had this on tap at Lucky 32 the other night and the server had mistakenly said they had an IPA. I'm not one to send a new experience back so I thought I would try it. I don't think this will be my favorite style but I did have two glasses so I didn't hate it.

It was a dark brown/black in appearance and arrived with a less than one inch head. There was good lacing on the glass.

To me, this seems to be one of those in between styles that doesn't measure up to either a Pale Ale or a stout/porter/boch beer.

JimKal, Dec 26, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Hey what can I say, I love what these cats are doing down here.

Pours a hazed out garnet brown with a tight sticky tan head that hovers thin but all covering with good lacing.

A quick hit of sour & BAM bourbon vanilla grainy malty goodness and a dose of slightly piney resonius hops, intoxicating!

The flavors follow the nose with Creamy malt grains and bready coffee then WHAMO the bourbon kicks in with a nice smokey woodsy vanilla goodness and a dash of that sourness (sour mash whiskey I presume) with a clean bittering hop playing nice the whole time and finishing with a touch of piney hop goodness.

Creamy and right on time with a good medium low carbonation level that I admire in good ale. I go fuller on the body here and with good reason, quality ale.

These guys are heavy hitters, so seek and consume for WE WANT THESE KINDS OF PEOPLE BREWING !!!

welldigger888, May 16, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

I had this beer on draft at the brewery last week and was very happy with the beer. Poured a hazy, chocolate brown color with a small, wispy, tan head of about half finger in size. The head leaves quickly and doesnt leave much in the way of lacing.

Aroma was really quite nice. Full of vanilla and bourbon and oaky qualities. One can certainly tell this one was aged in some sort of bourbon barrel. The bourbon qualities are rather strong but I would expect nothing less from a beer aged in a barrel of used bourbon.

Flavor was a little too much bourbon. The underlying beer didnt really shine that much. I certainly got the bitter from the IBA but the brown ale notes like chocolate and any bready qualities were masked by the bourbon. I didnt mind the strong flavor but I am sure many would find the flavor off-putting and a bit strong.

Good carbonation, maybe a little too much, but nice overall. This would be a great beer to serve in a cask with the natural conditioning (I think all bourbon barrel aged beers should be served out of their barrels, cask style, so...). A very nice beer and would be great for the fall months and cooler weather.

SaCkErZ9, Aug 02, 2010