Jade - Foothills Brewing Company

JadeJade

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Beer added by: Macky20 on 02-06-2011

I havent tasted anything from foothills that I would speak badly of bedause they are all pretty exceptional, but I felt compelled to write something about this particular beer. In a word the Jade is awesome! The color is light with a light head, the aroma and taste are amazing, pact full of citrisy pungient sweet hop flavor leaving your mouth both wet and dry at the same time. Half way through a pint there is still lacing left at the top of the glass spidering its way down the wall. I had a growler filled one night and went back the next day to have it refilled. Im not trying to dis the Hopium, but I would love to see this beer become there year round IPA. I highly suggest this beer to anyone who is in or around the winston-salem area.

Perfect balance of big hop up front and big citrus finish. Golden in color. Brighter than most IPA's. If you like lots of hop and lots of citrus this is the beer! I have recently left Winston salem for Portland Oregon. Only Boneyard RPM IPA compares thus far in the pacific northwest

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Had this from the tap at Foothills in 2010 but failed to review it until it was released this year. I have had approx. 6 growlers fills since, it's that good.

A~ Hazed orange glow with a hint of gold with around 1 inch of fine white head. Lacing all the way down.

S~ Smell is what originally attracted me to this brew. Amazing Citrus and Floral from beginning to end. The way an IPA should smell, right here.

T~ So many different Citrus notes, very clean and crisp finish. An after tasted that stays with you. Light in taste, but full enough for a perfect combo with or without food.

M~ Medium/Light, keeps you coming back for more.

D~ Most drinkable IPA i've had. I could drink this every day. Never gets old.

I have tasted every beer on tap and Foothills and this is some of their best work. I have never been a HUGE fan of their regular IPA (Hoppyum) and would be thrilled to see them replace Hoppyum with Jade any day. Seeing Double is another quality IPA that they brew.

Serving type~ Tap 2010 & 2011

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

Had this from the tap at Foothills and from a growler I took home with identical results.

A: Light gold with la couple fingers of fine white head. Lots of lacing as the head dissipated.

S: Loads of citrus welling up from the glass. Absolutely amazing smell from this IPA.

T: Citrusy lots of clean crisp flavor. The finish seems to last forever.

M: Light, crisp and very fresh. Effectively masking the 7.3 abv.

D: Very Very drinkable. I could drink this every day. An amazing beer.

Had this, the Hoppyum and Seeing Double while in Foothills and while the others were great, this beer impressed me the most.

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

4.81/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a growler into a snifter.

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a 1 finger head. Head doesn't last too long, but leaves some nice lacing.

S: This beer smells AMAZING!! If I could walk around all day with a glass of Jade in front of my nose I would. It's a mixture of fragrant hops, peach, and citrus.

T: Just like the smell, the taste is out of this world. Bitter hops up front with some fruity flavors coming next...mostly citrus flavors like orange and grapefruit.

M: Nice medium body with good carbonation. Just right for an IPA.

O: This is the best beer Foothills makes and I've had pretty much all of them. I buy at least 2 growlers of Jade every week...I guess I'm just lucky to live close to the brewery. If you like a hop-heavy fragrant IPA then this beer should be at the top of your list.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Recently had a flight at Foothills Brewery and this seasonal easily stole the show. More in the West Coast style than Seeing Double or
Hoppyum.

A: light gold / straw. Decent lacing and nice head.
S: Sweet grapefruit, slight pine overtones. Smells awesome.
T: Great hoppy and citrusy taste up-front with a crisp finish. The hops linger for quite some time and is very enjoyable.
M: Good mouth feel , no overly carbonated and hides its 7% well.
Overall this is beer is pretty amazing. Would love to see this bottled at distributed on the East Coast. This should without a doubt be in Foothills regular rotation.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite IPA's. Although I would give it higher remarks had I had this one on draft. But I am also so excited they have finally released this one in bottles. It is so amazing. When you pry off that lid it hits you with tropical aromatics, pineapple, mango, and probably other fruits that I haven't been privy too. It has a strong citrus aroma, that is without a doubt. But where a lot of IPA's and pale ales have a grapefruit smell and taste this one is very tropical and mysterious. The color, is a hazy golden straw not too much carbonation but just enough.

The taste hits your front palate with the strong tropical flavors, but once it crosses the back it gets real. You have that hoppy resinous burst in the there and its got that bitterness one should embrace with an IPA, at least, you know, I do. This beer reminds me of the essence of some tropical lime mixed with a plethora of other flavors. Its a damn near perfect IPA really, but I haven't met that devil just yet, although this one is really close.

4.76/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Growler from the brewpub. Hoppy goodness abounds on the nose and on the tongue. Something really unique about the nose of this beer. My first encounter with Jade hops and the aroma and flavor says citrus in a way I've not experienced it before. Refreshingly carbonated mouthfeel. A truly extraordinary IPA which ranks among the five best I've had, including Jai Alai.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%