Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Jade - Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Beer added by: Macky20 on 02-06-2011

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I passed through Winston-Salem with a suitcase full of Surly beers, intending to land some Sexual Chocolate. I did, but I also fell a little into love with Jade.

Described to me as a hopped up West Coast IPA, the staff at Foothills seemed to love mixing this with Hoppyum and Seeing Double, their standard IPA and DIPA.

Those were fun, but I'll stick with the Jade, myself. Made with Jade hops from New Zealand, it's a clean, wildly aromatic monster, with not too much sweetness or bitterness to drink in abundance.

And I wanted to drink it in abundance. I think Caleb, the bartender, ended up pouring me samples of 11 beers, including the blends. I left with a growler of Jade**, my new best friend. Until the next cask of Tea Bagged Furious, that is.

The next day, my sister, whom I was visiting, discovered that she was an IPA girl when I opened the growler. This was a beautiful beer, and I will be surprised if they can keep the magic in a bottle.

**I also left with two of bottles of Sexual Chocolate and an Olde Rabbit's Foot. Two bottles of Darkness has a way of opening a stash.

I havent tasted anything from foothills that I would speak badly of bedause they are all pretty exceptional, but I felt compelled to write something about this particular beer. In a word the Jade is awesome! The color is light with a light head, the aroma and taste are amazing, pact full of citrisy pungient sweet hop flavor leaving your mouth both wet and dry at the same time. Half way through a pint there is still lacing left at the top of the glass spidering its way down the wall. I had a growler filled one night and went back the next day to have it refilled. Im not trying to dis the Hopium, but I would love to see this beer become there year round IPA. I highly suggest this beer to anyone who is in or around the winston-salem area.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had a sample on tap as well, but am reviewing from the growler. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear, pale gold with two fingers of frothy, white head. Lots of bubles. The head subsided fairly quickly but left tons of lacing.

Smell: Wow. Lots of citrus/grapefruit, with undertones of pine. Reminds me a lot of HopSlam. Great smelling beer.

Taste: A lot like it smells. Grapefruit with a malt background, and a nice hop bite on the finish. The aftertaste lingers for quite some time. Very, very nice.

Mouthfeel: A little thin, and it feels slightly undercarbonated. I opened the growler less than 3 or so hours after leaving Foothills, so I don't think that's the reason.

Drinkability: This has become one of my favorite IPAs. Right now, it looks like this may be a one-time release - but hopefully they make this one more often. This is an outstanding IPA, and I would absolutely drink it again. Hopefully I'll be able to make it back before the batch runs out...

4.24/5  rDev -1.4%

Spencer at City Bev tipped me off to this limited release from Foothills. Super excited to try this one. Jade hops from New Zealand. Can't say as I've had any beer with these hops before. 7.00%, 75 IBUs. Let's get to it!

Came out a clear dark orange/gold. This is a little more pale than I expected. A small white head caps it off, but this leaves lots of sticky lacy rings on the glass. The aroma on this beer is nothing short of amazing. Very powerful scents of pineapple, grapefruit, orange, mango. Total citrus bomb! Slight peppery finish. I could smell this all freaking day. Perfect.

Nice mellow depth, with a crisp finish. The bubbles play lightly on the palate. This is a hop head's IPA for sure. Big bitterness all the way through, but more than that, the hops are juicy and full of flavor. Citrus tones lead the way, mild sweetness in the middle, but this is fleeting. Oily at times, but dries me out on the back end. It then finishes how it started: bitter. Great IPA that hit the spot. Get this while you can. It's not bound to last much longer.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Took a trip to Foothills today with some buddies and learned that they were offering this IPA. It could be experimental, but I hope they keep it around for awhile. I liked it so much that I picked up a couple growlers, and will be back to pick up more.

Poured into pint glass producing a half finger of egg white head with good retention. Very light amber color. Aroma is extremely floral with sweet bread and nice pineapple and grapefruit notes hinting to black pepper to finish it off.

Nice well-balanced hop bite with pleasant grapefruit and piney finish. Very impressed with this one. It's not hard on the pallet, but pleasant enough to make the drinkability exceptional. Mouthfeel is great as well. This one tastes much more pleasant than the Hoppyum in my opinion... but I think that they should keep both around given the recent popularity of IPA's. Well done Foothills, I hope you keep this one. I'm gonna go finish this growler now.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last