Jade - Foothills Brewing Company

JadeJade

Foothills Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

(Beer added by: Macky20 on 02-06-2011)
4.48/5  rDev +3.7%

Holy crap, what a surprise!

I took a tour of the brewery the day I went and the brewmaster was really touting this one. Now I know why!

On tap at Foothills.

A: Poured a crystal clear, apricot-orange color with a few bubbles posing as a head floating around.

S: I got the Citra hops up front, with a sort of grapefruit-orange blend to boot. Despite the weak nose on many of their standard line-up entries, that definitely was NOT the case with this one.

T: I would describe this one as a much more complex, rice flake version of Bell's Two-Hearted, with a much more yeasty disposition overall. The finish was DEFINITELY rice.

M: This was carbonated enough, but still not too, with a slight bitterness on the finish than Foothill's other IPA efforts.

O: This was the best thing I've ever tried by Foothills... it even rivals Sexual Chocolate! However, I'll be back for BBA Sexual Chocolate this summer and we shall see...

Chaney, May 06, 2012

JebediahScooter, Jan 29, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +10%

bertram, Jan 18, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

I had this on tap at the brewery at the same time I sampled the "Seeing Double". The appearance was a little weak, no head to speak of, no lacing, a light yellow in color. The first thing noticed is the grapefruit. The aroma hit me before the pint was set down. The taste is more of the same, pure grapefruit, it's all I could detect. A little acidic for my liking. It was very refreshing, but I think one is all I could drink in succession. A far cry from Seeing Double, although they are not really in the same class. Prost!

ElCaholicRacer, Jan 16, 2012
4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

A-Pours a nice amber/deep golden color with no head to speak of. There was a bright white ring of foam but no lacing on the glass.

S-Grapefruit, lemon zest, and a hint of pineapple. Not that strong, but definitely good.

T-Much like the nose with grapefruit, pineapple, and a hint of tangerine leading the way with a nice malt backbone. It has an earthy, hoppy finish. It tasted very fresh. It is absolutely delicious.

M-Slick and syrupy as it does not have much carbonation.

D-Through the roof, I could drink this all day.

Overall, I really enjoy this ipa. I gave its overall score a 4.5 due to its high drinkability and phenomenal flavor. If there was more head and lacing it would have scored much higher in the appearance category. It is much better than Hoppyum. I would like to see this available year round as I think its a good ipa, and as far as ipa's I've had from NC its one of the best, if not the best.

thegodfather2701, Jan 15, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap today at Foothills. I was looking forward to it after reading all the positive reviews.

This arrived with virtually no head. There was a slight citrus aroma on this amber IPA.

I would not characterize the taste as very hop forward. You could taste the hops but I've had more aggressive hop taste from DFH and Smuttynose bottle pours. I just didn't find what I was hoping for from this IPA. I have had the Hoptimum from Foothills and found it more to my liking.

Again, this is not a bad beer but it did not measure up to my expectations.

JimKal, Jan 02, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

On tap at Foothills, served in a pint glass.

Appearance: A bright golden body with lively though not overly plentiful carbonation, complete with one finger of mildly off white, sticky, soapy head with subpar retention. Thin, delicate sheets on the sides of the glass have similarly subpar staying power.

Aroma: Bright, crisp, and floral, the backing malts are golden and simple, with only a hint of roast. Hints of mint and fresh herbs, scallions, thyme, and a few other springy notes. Sweetness is prevalent here, honey-like, mingling interestingly with the herbal notes as well as a more-prevalent-as-it-warns citrus notes.

Taste: Understated citrus, a slightly pithy dank finish, with a moderate roastiness, hints of herbal notes, a moderate level of bitterness, and a nice chunk of tobacco. A solidly flavorful profile, well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, moderately carbonated, not too thick. Pretty solid, and works well with the flavor profile.

Drinkability: A step up over their traditional IPA, Hoppyum. Maybe they should swap out some recipes here, but I really enjoyed this.

CrellMoset, Dec 31, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a hazy golden star color with a one inch head.
Smells freakin fantastic. All citrusy hops and tropical fruit notes in the foreground and some sweet bready malt lurking deep, and I mean deep, in the background.
Taste follows the nose nicely. Big juicy, citrusy hops hit you first. Then a nice floral, earthy hops come through in the background. Some sweet malts hold things together nicely. Has a nice dry finish that keeps you coming back for another sip. This is probably the best IPA that has come out of NC. Great job Foothills I hope this one stays in the year round line up.

scifan, Dec 23, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Had this from the tap at Foothills in 2010 but failed to review it until it was released this year. I have had approx. 6 growlers fills since, it's that good.

A~ Hazed orange glow with a hint of gold with around 1 inch of fine white head. Lacing all the way down.

S~ Smell is what originally attracted me to this brew. Amazing Citrus and Floral from beginning to end. The way an IPA should smell, right here.

T~ So many different Citrus notes, very clean and crisp finish. An after tasted that stays with you. Light in taste, but full enough for a perfect combo with or without food.

M~ Medium/Light, keeps you coming back for more.

D~ Most drinkable IPA i've had. I could drink this every day. Never gets old.

I have tasted every beer on tap and Foothills and this is some of their best work. I have never been a HUGE fan of their regular IPA (Hoppyum) and would be thrilled to see them replace Hoppyum with Jade any day. Seeing Double is another quality IPA that they brew.

Serving type~ Tap 2010 & 2011

UNCCTDawg, Dec 22, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

I consumed a draft at Foothills and this review is from a growler purchased there and poured into a pint glass.

The beer is a mildly hazey straw yellow color with a 1 finger off white head that produces splotchy lacing on the glass.

The aroma is heavvvy grapefruit hops with amber malts in the background.

The flavor follows the aroma but to a more complex degree. I like these hops, bittering, flavoring, and aromatics. I like the medium carbination and mouthfeel as well as the dryish finish.

This is a great American IPA. I think it gives some of the big boys (Lagunitas, Bells, and Ballast Point) a run for thier money.

As the brew warms the scrupteous flavoring/bittering hops fade just a bit, but it still leaves that lovely grapefruit on the tongue and in the throat.

Hard to believe that just over 5 months ago, I DIDN'T LIKE ALES, yet after opening my mouth and mind, here I am enjoying this great beer that is brewed just 20 miles down the road. WTG Foothills !!

RedneckBeerz, Dec 20, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

Big thanks goes out to my boy caSSino for bringing this one to share with me when he came to visit me due to my injuries! Reviewed live. Served from growler into a NoDa Brewing snifter. Pours a slightly hazy yellow-orange with a one finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma is comprised of sweet malt, pot, pine, earth, citrus, earth hop, and marijuana hop. The flavor is of sweet malt, earth, pot, citrus, earth hop, and marijuana hop. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. I was really surprised at how earthy this one was. The earthiness really sticks to your palate after each sip. Worth trying if you get the chance.

thagr81us, Dec 19, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from growler purchased 12/17 at brewpub

A - cloudy honor-colored brew with finger of tight bubbles. Tons of lacing.

S - tons of citrus with hints of floral notes.

T - bitter at the front, sweet citrus in the middle, more bitterness and grapefruit at the back. Quite good.

M - not as full-bodied as other top-notch DIPAs out there. Great aroma and taste but is moderately dry - personally prefer more sweet sticky finishes.

O - best IPA from NC hands down. Falls short of Coast Boy King and the other national brands (Hopslam...). Still excellent and glad I have another growler in the fridge.

bballmj2k, Dec 19, 2011

Jzmhector, Dec 18, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: The honey colored liquid is capped by an inch of foam that leaves relatively few traces behind

Smell: Citrus pith in spades

Taste: Like the aroma, the beer is dominated by citrusy pith from start to finish with the malt playing a nice supportive backbone role; great attenuation keeps this one from becoming overly sweet

Mouthfeel: Medium body with crisp carbonation

Overall: A great IPA; let's hope with the additional capacity that this beer becomes part of the regular rotation

brentk56, Dec 18, 2011