Grande Cuvée Porter Baltique - Les Trois Mousquetaires

Les Trois Mousquetaires
Quebec, Canada

Baltic Porter |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Robust dark lager inspired by Porters from around the Baltic Sea region. This beer is luxuriously round with a mild bitterness. The malts contribute flavors of coffee, chocolate, and vanilla. The use of cherry-wood smoked malt provides a subtle hint of smoke.

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-17-2008)

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Simply stated, one of the best beers I have ever had. This was included as an extra from a very fine Canadian BA who I had the honor of trading with recently. I had never heard of the brewer nor the beer. But I this lovely bottle was corked and caged, served chilled and poured into a New Belgium Snifter.

The pour was very, very nice. Rich dark brown, essentially black coloed beer came forward right away.Completely opaque with a huge tan foamy crown that rose up over the top to a height of atleast 2 inches and literally sat there for a few minutes before settling down slightly to a thin veil that coevred the entire glass.

A unreal aroma then caem forward from this. Rich scents of vanilla, molasses, dark fruit and bourbon just jumping out all over the place. This was one of the strongest aromas I have ever encountered. Even as it warmed it was just so full, notes of coffee and chocolate starting to come through now as I take the first sips. This was unlike any baltic porter I have had., It was insanely big and full. Rich chocolate then mellowed into mollasses and finally a coffee infused finish that simply put, would not quit. Huge full bodied profile was perfectly cabonated and the richness of the flavor made this one of the best sippers I have ever come across.

Overall I really do not know what to say here. This was an extra, something I had never heard of, and it ended up being one of the best beers I have had in the last year at least .I need to see if more of this is around, as really I was blown away by this one.

4.88/5  rDev +14%

Poured from bottle into snifter

Pours a very (very) nearly black with a thick, mocha head - about 1-finger with good lacing and strong retention. Very appetizing.

Roasted malts and smoke, tart dark fruits (prune and dark cherry) that come with a mild sweetness, touches of oak and maybe some black licorice. A LOT going on here...

Wow. Creamy sweetness gushes onto your palate, with hints of tart, dark fruits right alongside. This thing is almost milky... all riding on a bed of roasted malts. Smoke, chocolate and coffee notes play in the background, with burnt sugar, oak and a slight alcohol spice in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-full and super smooth / creamy, without being syrupy (doesn't get too dense). Mild carbonation throughout with a fairly dry finish and pleasant lingering notes of sweetness and oak.

Really - an amazing creation, this... the creamy sweetness, tart overtones and roasty, oaky, smokey goodness is over the top for me. It's a sipper for sure... what a pleasant and enjoyable brew.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

2011 vintage. Poured from 750 mL bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a beautiful thick, syrupy opaque dark brown-black with 2-3 inch dark tan head that slowly recedes. Good lacing to boot. Wonderful for style.
S: Earthy funk hits from a few feet away. Upon closer inspection, deep and dark roasted caramel malt, coffee, molasses, leather, and wood smoke emerge. An intoxicating aroma and, again, perfection.
T: Dark roast coffee with smooth and sweet dark roast caramel malt up front. In the background play some mulched earth funk, cherry, plum, wood smoke, sweet cigar tobacco, brown sugar, and dates. Beautiful complexity.
M: Smooth, oily, and heavy feel. Dark sweetness gives way to a hint of spice midway through and then to a mildly bitter smokey finish. Leather, tobacco, and earth notes in the finish as well which lingers and matures nicely on the palate. Turn up the bitterness in the finish a bit and this would be perfection, but man am I nit-picking.
D: Wow. Wonderfully complex and yet a relatively easy drinker (even with an ABV of 10%). Best beer I've had in a long, long time. Style defining. Simply phenomenal...seek it out...now.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Everything from this Quebec brewery I have had has been top notch,I have been looking to get my hands on this beer for a couple years,thanks to Roger at Bestway I was finally able to get some.Poured into a half liter stein a deep deep dark chocolate color with a 1/2 finger deep beige head atop.Cherry wood smoke like the label says is predominant with dark roast coffee and raisin,as it warms the coffee really comes into play more.Lightly smokey with big dark roast coffee ground flavors,it's brash and big,cherry and raisin flavors abound with some mild earthy tones in the finish.The best Baltic porter I have had and that's saying something,it's as good as advertised if not better,my favorite beer of 2012.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Received this through the rare beer club, first one of the two opened.

This beer pours a dark, mahogany, producing a nice thick tan head. The aroma in this is very complex, giving notes of dark fruits (prunes, dates, fig) and some chocolate.

Flavorwise, it's very complex. Ranging from fruity notes, to earthy/oaky, dry fruit. The perception of alcohol increases as it warms up. Not much in the way of hops, but it's to be expected from a beer like this. I really have to give it to the brewers, I dont know if they achieved such complexity through their malt bill, fermentation process, or aging.

Overall, this beer is excellent! Definitely hope to get a second.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

From notes taken at Volo. Pours with a thick tanned foam, black in color. Looks thick and delicious. Nice lacing.

Smells phenomenal, very bold dark malty goodness, chocolate and fruits. The aroma of this beer is top notch.

Tastes as good as it smells if not better (if that's even possible). Lots of chocolate, chewy maltiness, some bitterness, coffee, alcohol and hints of fruit. Great mouthfeel creamy and smooth. Very drinkable glad I had this as my night cap.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Very very dark brew, almost pitch black. Head is light brown (caramel) and is big. Doesn't last that long, but it was impressive for a baltic porter.

S: Cacao and vanilla are very present. There are hints of maple syrups and coffee too. Some nice cigar tobacco smoke too. Roasted malts are very present too. Some raisins and other dried fruits thanks to the high alcohol level. Some buttery esters. Strong smell overall

T: Powdery cacao is all over the place. The kind of butter taste is there and mixes well. Some almonds and cashews. Vanilla is still there but much less present. The dried fruits are still there, raisins being the more easily identifiable. Maple syrup is there, but very subtle. Lots of HUGE malty tastes here. The smoke is great. Sometimes with Porters the smoke tastes like a bad cigarette but this one feels like a huge and high quality cuban, very very nice. The taste is bold.

M: that is one HUGE and BOLD beer. Very thick feel, very syrupy. It covers the mouth really well. It's a heavy heavy brew. And it's how a 10% baltic porter should feel, intimidating.

O: The 2009 edition is my favorite beer of all time. Do I need to say more?

Overall, one of the best brews I had the pleasure to taste.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into matching Porter Baltique glass I got with the gift pack

A more light would escape from a black hole then this beer she's black as black can be. the head is like a cola in both color and retention and there's no lace

S some mild coffee and like the bottle says I smell chocolate but very little booze and I get a heavy amount of dark fruits mostly cherry also stated on the bottle

T this is one awesome tasting beer, I got only mild coffee on the nose but more like espresso in the mouth. I get some smoke, licorice and some nice dark chocolates along with some dark fruits. I must admit I'm blown away by this one, the booze is very well concealed and the smell and the taste are quite different.

M nice and creamy with a bite to it that makes sure you know you are drinking a real beer, this bad boy coats your mouth too so your tasting it for some time after finishing it

D when you add all these thing up you get yourself one world class beer that I only wish was available in Alberta in single bottles. this beer is dangerous at 10%alc I could drink myself into a stupor with this one with ease.

I've said this a few times lately and I may say it again soon but this may be this best Canadian beer I've ever had. This perhaps turns my theroy that "the best Canadian beers are all from Quebec" into undoubted fact

Edit- I'm drinking the 2009 vintage today (Jan, 13, 2014) and its standing the test of time with no problems. Well worth the wait and I think this could stand up to another couple years of age without diminishing. My early reviews with high scores wouldn't get the same marks from me today today, this ones an exception.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

750ml bottle poured into a Trois Mousquetaires tulip glass.

I had the Fall 2009 batch, which was written on the label.

A : Really dark, almost black with some brown reflects. Good dark brown head with good retention. In fact, it stayed until the end.

S : Caramel, chocolate and coffee. Really inviting.

T : Strong taste, creamy, rich. Torrefaction notes, caramel again and coffee.

M : Creamy, really enjoyable

D : I would easily drink another one after I'm finished. The only thing stopping me from doing it is probably the 10%ABV...

Overall an excellent beer, a great porter (which I prefer, by the way) and I just hope that the Trois Mousquetaires will continue to make beautiful beers like this one again and again!

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours molasses-brown with a rusty mocha coloured head. Good retention and lacing.

The aroma is fruity, like dark raisins, with brown sugar and chocolate, but most of all there is a wooden roastiness pervading the proceedings.

That taste is beyond satisfying, very much the liquid version of the aroma as chocolate and bitter roastiness meets plump raisins all offset by a light hop bite, with as slightly smokey wooden dryness lingering in the finish--very well balanced with a nice interaction between all the elements. While present the alcohol isn't as overbearing as I would expect.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly light for something to full of flavour. It's well carbonated which helps keep the sweetness in check.

It's delicious and easy drinking and another stellar beer from Les Trois Mousquetaires. I've yet to have anything from them that wasn't outstanding.

Grande Cuvée Porter Baltique from Les Trois Mousquetaires