1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Série Signature Sticke Alt - Les Trois Mousquetaires

Série Signature Sticke AltSérie Signature Sticke Alt

Les Trois Mousquetaires
Quebec, Canada

Altbier |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: eat on 02-19-2010)
View: Beers (24) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 74 | Reviews: 38 | Show All Ratings:
MeisterBurger

Ontario (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

A slow pour reveals deep shades of copper, mahogany and gold capped by a thick, billowy head of white foam that just won't quit. The lacing and retention are world class.

Bright pears dominate the aroma at first, but as things die down lemony floral notes reveal themselves as does some malt and nuttiness.

Steely herbal bitterness meets a wash of fruity caramel sweetness, all the while having something of a Czech pilsner meets a Vienna lager thing going on in terms of hops and malt, respectively. There are some great hop flavors here without being overly bitter. Bready malts. Just a tinge of lemon rind lingers in the finish. Full flavored without going overboard. Very nice.

There's ample carbonation, and good body. No complaints here.

Another winner in a long line of winner from Les Trois Mousquetaires. These guys have German styles down pat.

12-28-2010 00:01:35 | More by MeisterBurger
eat

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

This seems to be fairly new and was being sampled at Peluso in Montreal when I happened to stop by (along with the Imperial weizen, which in my opinion is almost sickeningly sweet...the stuff just about cloyed my face off). A small sample was inspiring enough to pick up this 750ml bomber, corked and caged like all their Serie Signature.

Almost-clear and a beautiful ruby-copper colour. It's the colour of the darkest, reddest honey you could imagine being naturally possible; made from some kind of flower with ruby-red pollen. Great rocky off-white head leaves chunks of lacing stuck to the sides of the glass. Careful pouring this one, the head is explosive. The clarity is off-putting somehow for such a dark red/brown beer. Also, retention could definitely be improved upon. Otherwise it looks awesome, the colour is spectacular.

Smells mostly of wheat and earthy European hops. Some half-cooked Brussels sprouts and sweet malt. Good but could be stronger.

Tons of earthy European hops. I don't know hops well enough to say which they are but they aren't any of those floral/piny/citrusy hops found in American-style brews. These taste like plants and soil and they used a lot of them in brewing this stuff. Fairly forward malt presence as well, though hops come out on top of everything. This is not a complex beer but the hops are so tasty that it doesn't need to be. The beer guy at Peluso described it as a German IPA...I like that description! Dry, bitter hoppy finish, no alcohol present.

Medium body and carbonation. Good but nothing special here.

For me this is too bitter to drink much of. I find all of Les Trois Mousquetaires brews to have this quality: while they definitely know what they're doing, they're all too intensely *something* to drink much of. I always struggle to finish off a bomber to myself, not because it's bad but because it's too intense. Drinkable enough to really enjoy a pint, but that's it. The label states that this beer is, "...dominated by a gripping bitterness." I agree. None of the Serie Signature are sessionable in my experience so far.

02-19-2010 03:42:59 | More by eat
Yoonisaykul

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

750ml bottle: "dominated by a gripping bitterness" let's see!

A- Thick, airy, tan head. Dark amber easing on brown. There's a little lacing.

S- Smells very peculiar but this is my first Sticke Alt. Smells like wet orange-y hops. Fruity malt. Alcohol is present in the back. Smells kind of musty. A bit like a soggy candied orange. Now don't get me wrong, this smells good but you know how some smells remind you of some places... this reminds me of the dirty/sleazy bar next to my office. Cork (Might be because of the actual cork but was upright in the store and in my beerfridge). As it warmed it lost quite a bit of the dirty smell.

T- Lots to taste in here. It IS bitter. I like it. The woody biterness is dominant as I'm having a hard time tasting the malt. Guess that's what they meant by gripping. Wish I knew what hops were used. I'd seek them out to give more oomph to a homebrewed IPA. This isn't easy to describe. A floral, woody bitterness. There.

M- Almost full mouthfeel. The liquid could maybe feel just a bit more thick and I'd probably be more satisfied but I can't really complain. Medium carbonation.

D- Very good. Give me a pint of this on tap! I do feel that little 6% creeping up pretty quickly though. I'm rating drinkability high not because it's easy to drink. I'm rating it high because the bitterness is powerful but well calculated. Every sip leaves you pretty satisfied but still wanting more. This is a good drink.

Certainly tuned me in to Sticke Alts. Obviously a quality product. I want more.

03-09-2010 06:30:54 | More by Yoonisaykul
ChrisCage

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

A- Pours a reddish brown color that is hazy, but not to the point that it can't be seen through. The head is amazing, retaining it's two plus inch thickness and whipped cream texture....it's also a beautiful cream color. The lacing is also very impressive, leaving behind lots of foamy goodness on the side of my pint glass!

S- It has a rich malty character, being of toffee and dark brown sugar initially. There is also a subtle fruitiness that is of peach and/or nectarine, mixed in with dark fruits such as plum or dates. Also, the finish is nice and earthy, smelling somewhat of soil and somewhat woody.

T- Good strong malts are balanced by a roasted charm that is of toasted bread/biscuits on the front. The second half of the flavor profile is dominated by hops, and there's lots of it! I usually don't have a real hopped up brew but this one is welcome, as the two phases of flavor are distinct and well rounded.

M- Medium-full bodied and a good load of carbonation glides over the palate, although the bubbles aren't zippy and help bring out the bitterness of the finish. The earthy, leafy character really comes to life in this brew.

D- While I do like this beer, one bottle is more than enough for me, as it's a powerfully flavored beer and the hops are more than enough to satisfy my tastes! The alcohol is very well hidden I think this would pair really well with salty foods and think I'd get this one again, as long as I have someone to share it with.

12-12-2010 03:48:46 | More by ChrisCage
flipper2gv

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Nice darkish armber color. Fully translucent. Head has good volume, is beige and is foamy. Head retention is ok, lacing is a bit less than average.

S: Some big caramel and toffee are in this. There is also a nice level of earthy and herbal hops. Wood and leather and a hint of vanilla are present in the smell. Light smoke.

T: Much more hops than anticipated. Mostly earthy and herbal hops are there. Smoke is definitely part of it too. Some light dark fruits like dark cherries and raisins. Again, caramel, toffee, wood, leather, vanilla are still in there. Quite interesting tasting brew.

M: It's ok. Medium to low body with medium to high carbonation. Nothing to get too excited from but works well.

D: Well, it is balanced, not much alcohol, so nothing to stop me.

10-01-2010 05:36:35 | More by flipper2gv
nighthawk

Nova Scotia (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

750mL corked and caged bottle with no freshness date poured into pint glass. Purchased at Marche Cosmopolitan in Montreal's Centre-ville.

Pours a bright, clear amber with red hues. Head is a cream yellow, a bit foamy, and leaves chunks and lacing on the glass as it slowly settles. Good retention. Clarity of the beer shows lots of fine bubbles streaming up the glass.

Toasted caramel, fruit esters, and a bit of lemon and bright floral hops on the nose.

Lots of smooth, toasty malt flavours here; bready, caramel, touch of cereal grain, then some almost dark-fruit esters, giving way to the lemony and earthy hops and a slightly bittersweet finish.

Mouthfeel is light, smooth, and creamy with a nice bit of ebullient, fine carbonation to keep things lively and well away from cloying sweetness.

Overall, I'm really digging this beer. Flavours mesh well together, and find a nice balance. Mid range of complexity, and nothing overdone.

11-04-2011 18:28:21 | More by nighthawk
Otterburn

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Listening to Hank williams III..

Into my pint, pours a very nice reddish amber,luminous beer, 1 finger offwhite foam head,medium carbonation

Smell hop and citrus,malt

First, theres a fine citrus freshness fruity and acid kind of..and then a stronger and sharper bitterness, long after taste follow. its malty and hoppy

mouthfeel: medium carbonation, fine texture,similar to an ipa.

drinkability is good, if you like hop, its fine and bitter

03-09-2010 01:26:51 | More by Otterburn
Tim2000

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

750 mL brown bottle.

Slightly hazy reddish brown beer with a bubbly head.

Toasted, malty aroma with some resinous hops.

Starts off with bready malt, caramel and raisins but is quickly overtaken with hops. Lots of pine resin and strong black tea. Long bitter finish. Smooth body with moderate carbonation.

Interesting but lacking balance as the hops overpower everything.

03-04-2010 00:46:35 | More by Tim2000
Garin

3.15/5  rDev -18%

It looks great -- both in the cool champagne-style bottle, and poured into my glass. I love the sticky lacy head, copper-gold colour. The haziness is off style, but I don't really care.

The aroma is spicy and citrusy, sweet and a little floral.

Hm, spicy and almost resiny hops character dominates the front of the flavour. It's a bit too overhoppy for what I was expecting, and the malt doesn't really hold up well enough. There are lots of interesting (yeast-driven?) flavours lurking in here, but the overwhelming hops drive them into hiding. The potential depth keeps the score higher than it would otherwise be.

The body is nice and slightly viscous, but not too heavy.

It's a good idea, but the hops really are overdone I think.

05-04-2010 06:01:15 | More by Garin
Parrotshake

Australia

3.8/5  rDev -1%

The only other Altbier I've ever had is Schlösser, which was OK, but this is completely different so far so I might have a hard time rating to style.

Pours a reddish brown with a finger and a bit of tan head. Tons of lacing on the sipping side of the glass. The Schlösser was darker but I don't remember it looking this good. Hazelnut, toffee, malted milk and green woody hop aromas jump out of the glass.

Doesn't taste as overwhelmingly malty as the nose suggests. Nutty with peppery and boozy phenols, dark fruit and a bitter and slightly metallic finish. An undertone of sweetness from the malts which is hard to pin down. Something like bubblegum or possibly a scented eraser. A lot of flavor.

Full mouthfeel with just a hint of tingly carbonation. This beer has a lot going for it but the flavors are all a bit too prominent - it never really gels - which is fine for one or two but I couldn't drink more of it. Very nice in small doses, though.

10-11-2010 06:48:46 | More by Parrotshake
notdan

Ontario (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev -1%

A translucent mahogany pour with lots of billowy off-white head. Dies down after a minute or two, but leaves lots of pretty lacing and a pillow of foam on top of the beer. Very attractive.

Dark malts were the first thing that hit me with this one, combining both caramel/toffee and dark fruit flavours. Some earthy/woody hop presence is definitely there too. Smells promising, though could be a bit more powerful.

In the taste, fruity dark malts (mostly cherry for me) and caramel flavours are balanced out with earthy/herbal hops. A very dry, bitter finish keeps me going for more and more sips.

Nice full mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation.

This isn't a style I generally seek out, but I enjoyed this more than the altbiers I've had in the past. The distinct bitterness made for an interesting drink, even if it was a bit too dry for me in the finish. Regardless, I'll have no problems finishing off the 750.

09-04-2010 23:48:38 | More by notdan
BarrelSelect

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Color copper-orange with a nice foam when poured. Aroma of bread, cereal, and nuts. Hops aromas resin with a little floral. Medium bodied with a good hops attack. Taste cereal, little caramel, toasted malt. Bitter finish. Like all Signature Serie product from Trois Mousquetaires, it's a really good creation.

03-14-2012 21:19:48 | More by BarrelSelect
kirkbodnar

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

I lived in Dusseldorf, Germany for 4 years, and as such, I have had a fair amount of Alt. Most exciting of all, though, is the Sticke Alt from Uerige which is only produced on two different days during the year - very rare and very interesting stuff - which, as I understand, is the primary inspiration for this beer from Les Trois Mousquetaires. This beer was very interesting, and although not exactly like Dusseldorf's original example, not all too far off.

A - Dark amber with a ton of head that sticks around for a while. Held up to my expectations based on my experiences in Dusseldorf

S - This brought back fond memories - fairly authentic. Caramel - and lots of nuttiness - maybe even pine.

T - Pleasantly hoppy, fruity, and nutty with lots of caramel. Not too far off from the original.

M - pleasant, though quite dry.

D - Alt as a style, should be very drinkable - as it is traditionally sold in small 200ml glasses, and pounded back. This example did not dissapoint, though after getting through the 750ml bottle, the woody elements (nuttiness perhaps) got to be a bit much - though this may be due to my pairing it with rather crappy pizza.

I enjoyed this beer a lot - and I will definitely drink it again.

Cheers...