Ølfabrikken Porter - Ølfabrikken

Ølfabrikken PorterØlfabrikken Porter

Ølfabrikken visit their website
Denmark

Baltic Porter |  7.50% ABV

Brewed with barley malt, roasted barley, hops, brown sugar and water.

(Beer added by: bark on 07-29-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ølfabrikken Porter Alström Bros
2.58/5  rDev -40.3%

Porters & IPAs have never been my thing when it comes to beer, but I'm always open to trying new things with an open mind. As such, I had my brother (a stout and porter fiend) recommend this particular beer for me to try since I'd never tried a Baltic porter. Here goes...

A: poured from 66cl bottle into a St Bernardus chalice. The beer pours a deep, dark blackish color with minimal (almost non-existant) head.

S: the smell was my favorite part of this experience. Smells strongly of chocolate, deeply smokey (but almost charred/burned) coffee, and roasted barley.

T/M: very dark and heavy chocolate and coffee flavors right off the bat. More bitterness than I expected, but with a mildly sweet aftertaste. Not a pleasant beer to my palate; like I said before, porters just aren't my thing.

D: this category is so heavily influenced by the previous two that it seems almost unfair for me to rate this how I did. But yeah, I can't see myself sessioning this just about ever.

In summation: porters aren't my thing, so it comes as little surprise that Baltic porters aren't either. I'm sure your experience will be different if you enjoy beers of this style.

2.7/5  rDev -37.5%

Poured from a bottle into my DFH Pint Glass.

A - Black as can be with a dark tan head.

S - Coffee aroma's are strong, mixed with dark chocolate notes and a hint of sweet vanilla.

T - Burnt coffee, mixed with a hoppy bite seems to be the dominate flavors. A little acidic flavor. Honestly not as much roast and dark malt as I was hoping.

M - medium body with a fair amount of carbonation.

D - Not all that pleasant of a beer honestly. The flavors remind me a bit of burnt coffee and there is a strange acidic notes. I don't think I would try this one again. I don't get how this can be so highly rated.

2.98/5  rDev -31%

16.9 oz. bottle, bought at Hi-Times,

A: Pours a very dark brown to black, with a great thick, brown head, that lasts forever and leaves brilliant, thick lacing, couldn't wait to taste this one.

S: Espresso, some vanilla and chocolate as well.

T: Taste dissapointed me a bit. While not bad, the overwhelming burnt character of this beer made it a bit of a chore to drink. There were some nice vanilla notes at the end, and it got better as it warmed up, alternate flavours came out, but overall a bit of letdown for a beer in the top 100.

M: Pretty light for the style, oily, resiny.

D: Not a horrible beer, but there are better Baltics out there for cheaper, so probably not again.

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color porter with a small off-white foamy head with average retention. Aroma of coffee is dominant with a good presence of roasted malt. Taste is a mix between medium coffee notes some slightly bitter roasted malt and a vegetable element at the end that didn’t agree with my taste. Body is a bit thin with an oily texture and low carbonation, which fits well for the style. I really don’t get why this is rated so high and I really didn’t pick-up any vinous notes or dried fruits.

3.03/5  rDev -29.9%

Sample courtesy of piscator- pours a flat looking dark cola. Nose- odd smell, not usual roast and dark fruits. Taste- really sour, which normally is a good thing, but not so much in a big porter. Touch of chocolate in the body and finish but mostly had a off twang. Drinkability is still pretty good in spite of the potentially off bottle.

3.1/5  rDev -28.2%

It has a nice brown head, which looks nice for a porter. Has a good taste with a nice malt bill. But its not anything that really sticks out and for the price I expect a bit more, this is a solid beer but nothing that stands out I had this in comparison with the Nøgne Porter and it is really overshadowed so my review may be bit harsher then it deserves on it own.

3.18/5  rDev -26.4%

Got in a trade with rajendra82 - thanks! Poured from a 500ml bottle into my DT glass. It was a dark black even against strong light. Bottle said to gently pour to avoid yeast deposits so I gave a medium pour. Absolutely no head on it which worries me since other reviews talk about a great head and lacing. Has a best by date of 9/07 but will need to resample at later date. The aroma was roasted malts, coffee and a sweetness from dark fruits. The coffee is more prevalant at first but the sweetness took over as it warmed. The taste was like the aroma. Coffee and roasted malts at first but then the sweetness took over and really dominated. It got to be too sweet for me to really enjoy it. Also had a bitterness that really showed in the aftertaste that threw it off for me. Overall, this is my 3rd Baltic Porter after getting several in a couple trades and I'm finding that, at least for now, it's not a style that I really enjoy. They are ok but I'd rather have a good AmPorter instead. (3, RB, ML, N)

3.25/5  rDev -24.8%

This Porter is as black as can be with a cinnamon head that fades down into a nice film.
The nose shows hop bitterness, roasted malts and malt bitterness as well. It did kind of remind me of burnt smores.
The taste reveals an upfront biterness followed by a roasty maltiness in the finish. I got notes of Dark Chocolate and molasses. Aparently it was brewed with brown sugar. There is a slight alcohol burn, but this beer is very easy to drink for 7.5%ABV. The mouthfeel and finish impressed me the most on this beer. It is very smooth.

3.28/5  rDev -24.1%

22oz bomber.
Tulip glass.

A- Perfect in every seance of a beer. Thick head slowly reduces to a thin head. Black as night color

S- Smells very chocolaty, almost burnt with strong hints of smoke.

T- It's overly chocolate for my taste. But it is a good beer with smokey tastes. Make sure to not drink this beer cold, drink a little cooler than room temperature. 55-60, it opens a lot!

M- Is very average and nothing to really write about. It coats well with very good initial tastes which quickly fades. Beer is over carbonated.

D- Beer lingers in your mouth and almost numbs your tastes buds. Mildly easy drinker.

Will not go buy another.

Overall worth a try.

3.3/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours jet black, with a chocolate brown head. In the aroma, sweet roasty malt and alcohol notes. In the taste, sweet roasty malt and alcohol notes, almost like hairspray in alcohol presence. A small bite, yet mainly smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel, and a semi-dry roasty malt aftertaste. Nice porter, bigger alcohol presence than standard, and hairspray/ alcohol kinda the worst part.

3.3/5  rDev -23.6%

In line at founders for CBS. Thanks Cam

A-brown boey with brown head that quickly disapates

S-little bit of smokiness but really not that much

T-smokiness and a lot of malt. Maybe a little bit if oxidation? Don't know if that's it but it tastes like it

M-medium body and smooth

O-decent beer but not my style

3.55/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a pitch black color, like satin, with a big brown head forming. The bubbles are very loose, and the whole head collapses to almost nothing quickly, leaving minimal lacing. The smell isn't the greatest on this end, I get primarily fruity esters, a very strong presence, with the smell of carbon dioxide and an intense dryness. There are subtle roasted notes, with a bit of black malt and coffee. The taste is an improvement. Upfront I get the taste of fermented cane sugar, with some dry fruity esters. Then it fills in with some strong roasted barley notes, some dark fruits, raisins, with a dry finish. A bit more malty sweetness, maybe replacing some of the brown sugar with crystal malts would be more pleasant. The dryness clings and the carbonation stings just a bit. The alcohol isn't immediately noticable, but it warms as it goes down. The only thing holding this one's drinkability back is the lack of sweetness or maybe its the dominance of the esters again.

3.6/5  rDev -16.7%

I happen to really enjoy porters. Whenever I have the opportunity to try a new one, I'm all over it. For the most part, I have benefitted quite a bit by the reviews on this site, but I find this porter to be a bit overrated.

Let's start with the positives: It had a beautiful, rich pour... dark as night with a mocha-colored head (rather thick for a porter). It had a robust aroma filled with "earthy" notes.

Then I took a taste. I probably began tasting this beer a little colder than it is intended to be served, and to be fair, it certainly mellowed as it warmed. My first sip was like being punched in the tongue. It was the most powerful, big-boned porter I had ever had. It reminded me of a Russian imperial stout rather than a porter.

The flavor was rather complex; there was a burnt nuttiness, combined with a bitter finish. These coupled with its strength made it less drinkable than I would've liked.

The reason I like porters is that they are easy-drinking; full of complimentary flavors that awaken new corners of the tastebuds as you drink. Olfabrikken Porter's robustness got in its own way. It was overwhelming to me, keeping it out of my top 5 porters.

If you're looking for a traditional porter, this might not be the one for you. If you're looking for a growler full of flavor in each sip, give this one a try.

3.63/5  rDev -16%

A: Very dark brown and opaque. A small brown thick head with good retention leaves a nice lid of foam on top of the liquid.

S: A very pleasant smell with lots of aromas of malts with a quite prominent roasted character. A hint of smoke and charcoal. Notes of chocolate and chocolate syrup. Hints of dark fruits and faint hops.

T: The taste starts of nicely with a pleasant sweet flavor of roasted malts, dark chocolate and a note of charcoal. Dark bread and wood. Muted notes of dark fruits and vanilla. A faint hint of hops. The finish has an aggressive bitterness to it that seems out of tune, and a not so integrated taste of alcohol. Notes of chocolate and slightly acidic roasted malts in the finish as well. The finish is actually quite a letdown.

M: Full-bodied, viscous and creamy. Gentle carbonation.

D: A good beer with lots of flavors. But there are some flaws in it. Most importantly, the finish is quite out of balance, which is a real shame. Even though I kind of like it, it's far from its former glory from the time when Christian Skovdal Andersen (now Beer Here) was the head brewer at Ølfabrikken.

Drank from a 1 pt 6.3 fl oz bottle purchased at Liquor World, Cambridge, MA
Served in a snifter

The beer poured a super thick and viscous near pitch black. No head was present but merely a bubbly, frothy ring of lace that left some spotting along the glass.

The aroma was deep and dark. Super malty rich. Semi-sweet, chocolatey and smooth. Somewhat boozy with a noticeable oak and dark fruit (raisin) presence. Brown sugar notes came out as the beer warmed.

The taste was extreme. Ultra rich and roasty (to the point of nearly tasting burnt). Oaky and raisiny with noticeable oxidative notes. Somewhat bitter and acrid. Black coffee and bakers chocolate were apparent. The big, bitter finish was hoppy, sprucey and dry with lingering notes of espresso.

The "flavor chart" on the side of the bottle indicated that this beer was intensely robust, slightly more bitter than average and extremely sweet. I definitely agree with the first assessment (and possibly the second) but the third seemed way off.

The mouthfeel was super thick, rich and heavy with an ultra fine and mild carbonation. Creamy, frothy and smooth on the palate.

Drinkability was moderate. The acrid roastiness in this brew was a bit overwhelming, as were the strong oxidative notes.

This was a really intense beer that displayed more of the acrid roast character and hoppy bite of an imperial stout than the smooth, semi-sweet robustness of a baltic porter. Definitely a good beer overall but a bit of a disappointment for those who are seeking something more true to the style.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour: .5L bottle to pint glass. Label reads 8%, not 7.5% as listed on BA. Coffee black body with very dark brown head rising about one finger off the beer, fading down to nice lacings. No webbing on the glass.

Nose: Smells doughy and lactic sweet with an almost bubble-gum character to it. Also has aromas of being barrel aged, vanilla. Alcohol is very present, aroma is hot.

Mouth: Upfront is sweet and alcohol ridden but finish is nice and roasty. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy and chewy. A bit too viscous in the swallow followed by an odd bitterness that doesn't seem to be all roast malt. Somehow the flavors of this beer just don't come together very well, though a very good try! Certainly drinks more like a stout than a porter.

3.65/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Monk's Café tumbler. No date or info.

Thanks to bnieman and his Dad for sharing this with me and to Thorpe429 for sending me a bottle!

A - Totally black in color with a dense tan head. Low retention with a few spots of sticky lace.

S - Dense roasted chocolate malt in the aroma with low coffee notes. While the nose is fairly one-dimensional, it smells damn good!

T - Heavily roasted in the flavor and very dry cocoa with dirt and bitter chocolate. A bit too dry.

M - Medium-full bodied Baltic Porter with a beyond-dry texture profile that's pretty distracting.

D - I wouldn't want much of this very dry, acrid bitter brew. Smooth and rich for the medium body though. Better the second time around as it was probably more fresh but I didn't re-review it.

3.65/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - dark as night with a tall dark head. Much darker than I expect from a porter.

S - amazing deep roasted malts chocolate and goodness.

T - smokey malts and cocoa. A bit of bitterness in the middle. The flavor drops quickly. Maybe some coffee in the after taste.

M - solid coating with a late tingle on the front sides of tongue.

D - I could drink this for most of an evening.

3.65/5  rDev -15.5%

Gotta catch the Giants game so...must...hurry!! Pours a wicked thick dark black, with a creamy smooth dark tan head. Good lace and all around a pleasant pour. Aroma is huge full of roasted barley, some dark fruit like figs in there, some really subtle vanilla. Kind of typical for a porter, but nice none the less. Wow, the flavor is incredible. Huge and roasty, but has a lot of other stuff going on. Immediate hints of oak and/or cask aging...Really nice. Enormous flavor that washes over you with impact, like a really big wave at the ocean when you're running along it with your kids and it takes you by surprise. Really earthy tones in here, and very "warm" tasting, kind of like a bonfire at the beach. Really excellent, but the finish is a tad bitter in a bad way. That's really my only problem with this ale. Great on all counts except for a mildly typical aroma and some off bitterness in the finish. $7.99/22oz. bomber though so it ain't cheap. You should try it if you find it, but be prepared to pay for it.

3.68/5  rDev -14.8%

Bottle: It poured black in color with a 1/2" head of fine brown bubbles that faded somewhat quickly. The nose immediately showed melted fudge along with caramel, expresso roast and stewed plums. In the mouth it was medium-bodied with a concentrated midpalate that fades to a dry/bitter finish. Ovearll it was quite nice but lacked punch and the finish came too quick.

3.7/5  rDev -14.4%

I have been sort of off Porters lately, but since I had seen that there were some very nice things said about this beer, I figured it was time for a visit. Appearance is pitch black, thick looking, with two fingers of tan heading. Smell has a slightly burnt quality to it along with some smoke and coffee. More smoke and coffee come from the taste, and a certain meaty presence as well. Some of these tastes can become overwhelming. There is a good body on this beer, it comes across as very thick and almost chewy, but with some carbonation to back it up. Drinkability is not bad, but I would not recommend this beer to people who are not fans of smoky smells or tastes. A pretty good Porter we have here, certainly interesting. It might make for a good breakfast time beer.

3.73/5  rDev -13.7%

A 500 mL bottle.

A: The porter is oily, black gold with no colors on the spectrum coming through. The head looked tan on pour but has since settled down to an off-white color.

S: The nose is syrupy with a caramel and chocolate sweetness. The breadiness of the malt reminds me of graham, or even a RIS (same lineage, I suppose).

T: The flavor is interesting, hoppier than I expected. The dark malts are well represented, chocolate and caramel with cocoa powder to boot. Burnt toast emerges in the finish. Dark fruit flavors, a result of the yeast, adds a nice texture of raisins and plums. The ale is quite filling, a meal in a glass.

M: The mouthfeel is a chocolate-covered fruit, sweet with acrid undertones. The roasted taste lasts a long time.

D: The ale is heavy, half-way through and I'm hoping to get through the whole thing. A night-cap of a Baltic porter.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

Currently #81. I drink this beer as a marker to completing my first colonoscopy this morning. Beautiful evening, earlier spent trying to get rid of a mole that's chewing up my back yard. May it RIP.
Rather low bottle fill, otherwise, nice basic label, obviously designed for an English reading audience.
Ooo, Ooo. No fizz sound upon opening and it pours without a head. Very dark brown that's opaque, but shows some dark red on the bottom of my Sam Adams glass.
Without carbonation the aroma isn't rising much. Dark malt but it's so tight it's hard to get descriptive.
Flavor shows good stuff. Rich, but not excessive and the finish is long and both slightly bitter, but also sweet. Nice. Sweetness up front is of chocolate and coffee. The bitterness lays flat on the tongue, but never dominates or overpowers.
Without carbonation it misses a sense of fullness. Not sure if this is a lager, but it seems like it could be.
I'll finish this review, but I'll buy another and give a fair shake on another day. For now it'll have to live with scores I give. With carbonation, I imagine this as quite delicious.

Ølfabrikken Porter from Ølfabrikken