Frambozen - Bullfrog Brewery

Pennsylvania, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: CoolJosh on 06-06-2009

2.84/5  rDev -29.5%

Pours a hazy pink with a similar colored head. Smell is sweet and funky and enjoyable. The taste fails to match the smell. The beer lacks body and is not as tart as I like my wild ales/sours to be. The mouthfeel is also uneventful. The flavor and tart seem to dissapear way too quickly for my liking. From a person who likes wild ales and sours, this one falls flat.

Update: I recently had an aged bottle of this and it is much more balanced. (443 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

Finally gave in to the hype and picked up a bottle

Appearance: Cork is a pain to get out, had to wiggle and pry this one. Color on the pour is not bad, and some specks that might be raspberry? Head is not impressive though, no lacing. Nice bright red with some pink in it.

Smell: Raspberries, but lighter than I expected, with some light funk, must, and sweetness.

Taste: Frambozen light? The bud light of Frambozen? What was semi-present in the bouquet is non-existent on the palate. A bit musty, but not enough funk, the berries do not taste fresh and it doesn't taste like enough were added. Lacks the edge it should have. A bit simple and underwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Once again, a bit light.

Drinkability: Like bud light, watery and flavorless enough that you could drink your fill, but why would you want to? Doesn't compare to Hommage, etc. (849 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks goes out to Jason for sharing this one with me on Saturday. I wanted to try this one since I first heard it existed and after the whole release fiasco I thought I wouldn't be able to try it, so thanks again for the opportunity.

The beer looks wonderful in the glass, a hazy, fiery red grapefruit color with an inch of light, rosy foam. The head falls down to form a ring around the glass.

Sweet raspberries on the nose, oak tannins, vinegar, lots of fleshy and juicy raspberries, lemons, acidity, and some funk in the background but not enough to balance the sweet fruit. Hints of vanilla later on. I did enjoy the intense fruit aroma, it made my mouth water, but would have liked a little more balance and a stronger brett and sour presence.

The taste was rather disappointing. Plastic raspberry flavor (almost artificial tasting, which really took me by surprise considering the fresh fruit aroma), aspirin, and oak tannins on the first sip. More lemon and a little more tartness in the next couple of sips. The problem lies in the lack of a finish. The beer just seems to fall off a cliff after the swallow and there is no sourness or fruit flavors to linger on the palate. Lacking in sourness throughout but the finish just hurts this beer. Medium dryness in the finish. Lacks complexity.

The mouthfeel is not too bad, a tad syrupy, low level of carbonation.

I honestly wasn't craving any more of this beer and was quite disappointed. I bet a few years in the bottle will do this beer good though. (1,520 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -16.4%

Thanks to suitcase for sharing this one.

Pours a small beige head. Color is a ruby hued amber.

Aroma: A ton of raspberries, but very acidic with vinegar flavors. Oaky with some spice. Lemon citrus. Pretty fruity.

Taste: Very medicinal and acidic. A lot of raspberry and fruity flavors. Oaky with a touch of spice. Fairly one dimensional for a sour.

Mouthfeel: Tart and sour. Lighter bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends clean.

Overall: This was alright, but nothing too special. Just not to much going on here. Somewhat drinkable. (546 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

This was an interesting one. Reviewed from notes. There is a picture of a stinky foot, which gives you an indication of how this one was.

The appearance is really hazy, with a nice pink glow to it. It possesses a white fluffy head that turns into a ring around the glass. This thing had yeasty chunks floating around, evidence of time and the reproduction of yeast cells.

It smells like raspberries that are being consumed in a locker room after gym. There are some really harsh funk smells in the rear that distract from the berry goodness. This makes me think that it might be a little old and the potential was amazing a while back.

The taste is tart, raspberry, cherry or just plain wild berry, grainy. It has some real must, but gets better once the yeast are stirred around. The last few glasses had the most flavor, with the yeast holding the real sweet fruity flavors. Dry mouthfeel that reminded me of a sparking wine.

It was an okay beer, but nothing great.
(978 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.1%

Thanks to Frank for this one! Split the 750 mL bottle four ways for the second part of our sour graduation tasting.

A- Pours a hazy, dull reddish-orange. Thick, creamy off-white head. Great head retention.

S- One dimensional and off-putting. The raspberry aroma started to turn for the worst...almost like canned tomatoes. I did have a pour that was more towards the bottom of the bottle, but the others weren't much of an improvement. No funk here, just straight tomatoes...erghh...I mean raspberries.

T- Little disappointing. Pretty fruit forward with slight acidity. Raspberries prevalent here. Not much funk going on here at all. There was a little vanilla detected in the finish. For the most part, one continuos raspberry note from beginning to end.

M- Light to medium bodied. Good carbonation. Leaves the palate very wet.

D- Drinkable for a sour, just not that exciting.

Overall, this reminded me of a fruit beer rather than a sour. I'd much rather have Selins Grove Framboise or NG Raspberry Tart if I am going to have this type of beer. Still, I'm very glad to have had the opportunity to try this one. (1,121 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

Thanks to Akorask for this treat.

Joint review with BA Jtrockchalk. This beer pours cranberry red with rust hues along the edges. The carbonation is tight producing a massive 3 inch head and leaves absolutely no lacing. This is a really pretty beer. The aroma is raspberries up front with hay and apple cider vinegar. The flavor is muted tones of the aroma. Dulled raspberries with just a hint of vinegar. Very subtle sweetness lingers on the palate. The mouthfeel has a cakey dryness with just a slight carbonation. The head would have made you think there would be a crisper carbonation. Overall this beer is good, but a bit over-hyped in my opinion. It really feels like they were going for a Flanders Red but fell a little flat (732 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -11.9%

750 ml bottle acquired in a trade with KingG, thanks again Joey, shared with Bill yesterday, drank from a snifter, color is a light pinkish red, 3/4 inch white bubbly head that goes away quickly, no lacing, aroma consists of ripe raspberries, bettanomyces, grassy accents, lemon, other berries, lactose, and candied sugar, flavor starts off with a light raspberry taste, sugary and tart in the middle, finish is light and does not pack the sour punch you hope for from a wild ale, it has a nice fruit flavor but lacks complexity and is not characteristic of the style in that it is mellow in taste, sweet, slightly sour, and sugary mouthfeel, light to medium bodied, high amount of carbonation, could have drank this whole bottle because it is light and goes down easy, overly smooth for a sour, no alcohol present in the flavor either, a bit hilarious to think about how much controversy this beer caused and then to see first hand that it did not really live up to its hype, it is a decent beer do not get me wrong, but I have had dozens of wild ales better than this one, worth trying but wish I did not trade so much for it now (1,131 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks to Grant for sharing this at the wonderful tasting at his house awhile ago. Pours a very hazy reddish orange with a wispy head. Smells slightly woody followed by ripe fruit, but relatively lean. Tastes of really ripe, almost rotten fruit with some sour and more pleasant fruity notes underneath. Unfortunately, this whole fruity melange then edges into bandaid flavors wwhich turns me off. The mouthfeeel is tart, but alittle soft as well. It lacks the edge it should have. This beer has a great aroma, and a few promising notes, but overall disappoints. This is the brewery that the current fadsters are seeking out? I don't see it. If it were easier to get I'd reserve judgement until I'd have tried a few more. Since its such a pain to trade for any, I think I'll pass on any more. (791 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

I got to try a bottle of this in September of 2009 thanks to a friend who got it in a beer trade. The colour was a cloudy strawberry red with a very thick head. The aroma was quite yeasty, funky and tart but with no detectable berry scent. On the palate there was quick shot of raspberry, a tart mouth feel, some phenolic/adhesive bandage like tastes and along berry/bandage finish. (382 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

A pallet-load of thanks & positive karma goes out to Avalon68, DrinknDrive, & even Mr. Doug McMinn himself for making the 3 hour drive there & back a little less hostile. It was my fault we left later then we wanted. Me & my lack of direction.

Shared twice over with the some of the local guys & gals, some that were just a little too pregnant or overburdened to take the trip down with us.

Tight cork. Each experience, slightly different. Tulip, snifter, slurping dregs directly from the bottle.

Faded strawberry & cider vinegar color. First time settled, second stirred up a bit on the express train over. Thin, rusty, filmy head, but lots of agitation below.

Smells of sour raspberries, dusty wheat, green apple, lemon, & just a little more sweat & musk then that.

I didn't dig the intense carbonation. It made me work that much harder. Tart & semisweet. Raspberry jam & apple cider vinegar. Pitty fruit bitterness & a little tangy radish bite. Drying wood. Yeasty. Sadly, I didn't get any vanilla. I like vanilla.

Thin body, harsh bubbles, very acidic. Biting. Not anywhere close enough to something like a Raspberry Tart, lambic, or any wild ale that I've had. Maybe something like a 70/30 mix of Liefman's Frambozen & champagne. Refreshing, but not what I thought I was paying $20 for. (1,298 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Pours a hazy pink. The small head diminishes quickly.

S: The beer has an amazing aroma. Raspberry, Cherry, wood and funk. One of the best I have encountered.

T: Raspberry up front, not as sour as I would have liked. You can definitely taste the Brett. Overall it's good, but the aroma had me hoping for something a lot more sour/funky.

M: Good carbonation and nice mouthfeel. Right on point for the style in my opinion

D: Very drinkable. Light and refreshing

This is a solid beer. I was hoping for something amazing, especially once the bottle was opened and I got my first hit of that awesome aroma. The taste definitely does not live up to it. I'm hoping this will get more sour and funky in time. If so, my rating would go way up. Definitely one to put in the cellar for a while and see what happens. (811 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10.7%

Thanks to the guy below me here, BeerTruth, for hooking me up with my one and only bottle. Nice to finally meet you in person Adam. A corked 750ml bottle shared with a few members of the NEPA beer club and poured into my Cantillon glass. Frambozen appears the color of a milky ruby gemstone with about a finger of quickly fading light pink foam. Aromas and flavor consist of ripe tart cherries, mildly funky, oak, a bit of astringent tannins. Not as puckering as I'd like. The flavor just about falls off a cliff after each sip. The body seemed a bit thin, but this ale certainly had ample carbonation. Glad I had the chance to try this one. Thanks again Adam! This one might benefit from some time in the cellar, but until I happen upon another taste, I'll be moving on... (773 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

A: Pours a nice strange sort of amber with tones of pink showing through. The head is on the small side and shows no real retention.

S: Aroma is made up of very sour berries and oak. Rather simple to be honest.

T: Really liked the Magic Beans we had at the tasting this was just okay. Mostly tart raspberry. Nice acidity, with a good dose of oak. Once again simple.

M: Medium in body, okay carbonation.

D: Okay. If this was not a sour tasting where it was put up against other great sours this one may have faired better. It was just a bit underwhelming when compared to others we sampled. (593 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -7.7%

Sampled June 2009
The cork looks a bit amateurish in its insertion as it is put in way to far and requires a cork screw to take out. This is a bit of a gusher, but nothing that a quick pour doesn't mitigate. A solid pour starts out with a three-finger thick, lightly pink tinged, tan colored head. The beer is a hazy, dark pink tinged, red-amber color that shows a murky, bright red color when held up to the light. The aroma has an acidic, raspberry infused note to it that is noticeable as I pour this beer. A more focused look at the nose yields a raspberry seed and flesh note, that is more tart than anything, but does have a hint of fruity sweetness towards the back. The raspberry and acid is by far the most dominant note in the aroma, but the finish does see a touch of musty, earthy, lightly musky, phenolic Brettanomyces signature that becomes more noticeable now that I have recognized it. As you take a focused, multiple succession of draughts of the aroma the raspberry is noticed first, but the Brett becomes much more noticeable as it tries to banish the raspberry; it can never do this as the hit of tart, fleshy, tannic raspberry is the first thing you notice each time I come back to it.

The beer is tart up front, with perhaps just a wisp of a hint of sweetness. As it flows across the tongue the beer foams up a bit excessively, but it comes under control after venting for a bit. The finish has some spicy oak character, a touch of funky phenolics and some woody tannic astringency to it that provides a bit of sharpness as a contrast to the upfront tartness. The acidity seems to be mostly lactic in character, though the raspberry definitely contributes to some of the tartness. A touch of plastic, phenolic character spices the middle as does a peppery carbonic bite. The raspberry character is much muted compared to the expressive nose, this is definitely something I appreciate as this particular fruit can be a bit much for me; there is a nice fresh fruitiness as well as a raspberry flesh note, both of which give this beer a nice spicing, even a deep infusion, of that distinct raspberry signature note. Once the excessive carbonation has been driven off the body picks up some structure from the tannins, but still remains light and drinkable. The balance between the tart and sweet becomes a bit more equal as the beer warms up, though the tartness is still the more noticeable of the two.

I definitely like that the raspberry character is not overwhelming in this beer, I was a bit worried about that and excessive sweetness before I cracked this beer; thankfully this is quite dry and the raspberry character isn't totally overwhelming. I could wish that a little more of the base beer was noticeable under the raspberry character, but the oak is at a nice level, enough to add a complexity and depth, but without being overly noticeable. The combination of the oak and sharp fermentation character does make the finish just a touch hot, but again, nothing overly noticeable. In the end this is pretty nice, I could certainly wish for more complexity and a sharper acidty, but this is still is quite drinkable and even tasty & it does have a great balance between the notes that are found here. (3,232 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured into my snifter, the beer is pinkish red with a small fizzy white head. The crown quickly disappears, leaving a creamy ring of foam loitering near the edge of the glass.

The aroma is quite nice, defined by fresh and ripe raspberries. It's sugary and sweet, but doesn't smell like syrup or artificial puree. Oak is evident, as well as vanilla and earthy notes.

The taste is of sweet, fresh raspberries with some acidity. Other flavors are of oak, tannins, and a little vanilla. Tartness is at a very low level, and some lactic character is evident. It seems like more of a fruit beer than a Wild Ale or sour. I'm really enjoying the flavor, until it suddenly disappears. "No...it can't be," I tell myself while taking another sip. Sure enough, the finish leaves me plummeting into the abyss. In the end my palate is left wanting something, some sort of resolution or closure.

The beer is light bodied with a nice medium-high level of carbonation. Overall this beer was enjoyable, and though I found the finish to be far too abrupt its strengths evened things out in the end. Though the raspberries will undoubtedly fade with time, some age might do well for the flavor and finish of this beer. I'm interested to find out. (1,231 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -5.5%

Graduation Sour Tasting- split 4 ways

A: Pours light red, almost pink in color. Nice 2 fingers width of off white head that has good retention.

S: Lots of oak and raspberry, but nothing really stands out. Kind of had a weird raspberry smell. Lacking in the aroma department.

T: Very fruity with a good amount of acidity. Flavor is almost straight raspberry. Pick up some oak as well. Actually really enjoyed the flavor.

M: Medium carbonation. Not too much body.

D: I could drink this all day. This would be a great beer to offer to a first time sour drinker. Just enough acidity to let you know it is a sour. (615 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

One beer I thought I would never try, but thanks to Beerloco it happened.

A: Mild carbonation, pinkish/redish body, and lots of sediment. The head was much like champagne and did not linger or leave any lacing

S: Tart raspberries mostly. A touch of wood, but not overly aromatic

T: More tart than it is sour. Like fruitiness that has some sweetness to it as well. Very similar to Juliet. Some oak notes that provide of touch of earthiness

M: More carbonation is present in the mouthfeel that in the appearance. Quite dry too. The body is fairly light as well

D: Very much a raspberry champagne in my opinon. Tasty yes and would go great with brunch. Half the bottle was enough but I would try it again if I had the opportunity (732 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%

750ml shared courtesy of TomDecapolis.

Poured a medium reddish/amberish color with almost no head. Aromas of some funkiness, berries, fruity, and some woodiness. Tastes of berries, the same fruitiness, lightly funky, and vanilla.

Notes from and tasted on: 8/14/09 (266 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

Bottle shared by Bmoyer0301 with him and stakem. Finally...

A- Has a nice amber/brown color with a semi-golden hue. A decent amount of carb leading up to a thin white head. Would have expected more a deeper mahogany, but still looks good.

S- A bouquet of raspberries greets me and I am enticed for more. I love this smell and continue to inhale. As it warms it presents an earthy must and sharp acidic character that is pleasant, but also accompanied by a sharp and rich cheese aroma. A little more investigation and the more lactic sourness is unveiled and a fresh fruit juice aroma in the finish.

T- A great balance of lactic sourness and tartness from the fruits. There is a little tease of raspberries, but a lot more tartness, sharp acidity and a sweet vanilla undertone. A little underwhelmed wanted more sour raspberry, but it just wasn't there.

M- Has a lively amount of carb and a medium-thin body. A slight puckering, but more tart. Very refreshing and a manageable light acidity. Very well done.

D- Has a fair drinkability. The light acidity, sharp tartness and overall feel of this one is enjoyable. I would have liked to have more of the tart and sour raspberries, but they were hidden and tough to find. Glad I got to try it.

Bullfrog is a great brewery that makes great beer, but they make better ones. (1,323 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

Corked and caged bottle split with a friend. Poured into a Duvel glass. My 1st and hopefully not last wild beer from BF.

A- Frambozen has a nice fruit punch red color that has some clarity to it, Im able to see through it, almost. On top lays a thin white skim that does not fully coat the surface, a few swirls takes care of that. Minimum lacing.

S- On first whiffs, this reminded me of blushing monk with some wildness to it. A light funk in the beginning progressed with time while a nice blast of raspberry and cherries is up front. Getting very light vanilla and oak. Light brett and barnyard.

T- Frambozen did not blow me away but I liked it more as time passed. A light mix of raspberry and tart cherry, pretty much a malange of dark berries. After that some funk/tart with a old sweat sock. This is followed by vanilla and oak/wood. Kind of reminded me of a funkier version of Weyerbacher Riserva.

M- A small step above light bodied with a nice light carb felt throughout the bottom of the mouth. At first the fruits take the stage which is followed by the tart/wild part of this beer. Crisp, light and refreshing.

D- Really could not drink this quick, I was savoring it. Small sips are the best for this. The ABV is low but the acidity gets in the way somewhat hindering the possibility for big gulps. Im glad I shared the bottle as a whole one of these would be a bit much, even for me, a guy who adores his sours.

Good Job Bullfrog. (1,449 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy iceicebaby. Pours strawberry pink with a thin, fading white head. Aroma is pretty vivid with raspberry. Tart berry drupelets and even a seedy note to complete the picture. Flavor is medium-tart and acidic with a fresh raspberry note along with some sweeter grains and a touch of bretty chlorine funk. Pretty nice, needs more sour. (346 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Big thanks to d0b for breaking this out. Review from notes.

Rusty orange red body, with light pinkish foam that had good retention. Clean seedy raspberry aroma with minimal levels of funk. A firm tartness in the first sips, and a clean distinctive raspberry flavor. A bigger sip had a tangy, lasting aftertaste. Very dry with a pleasant light effervescence and very light body. The tartness was clean and moderate, approachable for a sour novice. Definitely got the salivary glands working. It reminded me a tiny bit of De Wilde Zuidentrein from Flossmoor Station. Personally I would have gone for more unbridled wildness/funky yeast, but it was well rounded and tart, which made for an enjoyable experience. (710 characters)

750ml autographed bottle kindly shared by alfrantzell. Thanks, Arne.

Raspberry red pour, clear with a slight haze and a small white cap. Macerated raspberry aroma, both sweet and tart. Lightly woody and vinous. There isn't a lot else to the aroma, no distinct funkiness, but the fruit is nicely expressed. The taste is largely fruity, more tart than outright sour, with a hint of sweetness appearing mid-palate. The finish is faintly tannic and dry and there's a trace of acetic acid. Very light and spritzy. Pleasant stuff, nothing outrageous, but taken as a simple fruit beer it's quite good. (595 characters)

Thanks Scott!! Pours a fairly clear dark pink with a very thin white head that dissapated quickly. Smells like fresh raspberries, but not too strong. Some oak as well. Taste is similar- real raspberry flavor with a decent amount of tartness. Not overly sour though. Thin mouthfeel with little carbonation. Very good beer. (321 characters)

Frambozen from Bullfrog Brewery