Frambozen - Bullfrog Brewery

FrambozenFrambozen

Bullfrog Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: CoolJosh on 06-06-2009)
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Big thanks to natasharai for sharing this beer with me, I would also like to thank hophead101 for sending this beer to Natasha.

A- Large light pink head, moderate retention, moderate retention and okay lacing.

S- Large Raspberry aroma nice tartness lingering sweetness, strawberries, and light oak.

T- Large earthy sour beer, awesome sweet tart raspberries, good funky and fruitiness. Very nicely flavored beer.

M- Puckering tart to start with a nice dry finish.

This is a great frambozen, I am very glad I had the chance to try this beer.

br3wmeister, Jul 20, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +13%

Huge thanks to natasharai for sharing this bottle.

Pours a cloudy rapberry color with a thin beige head.

Nose has lots of fresh mountain berries. Very nice blend of ripe and tart fruit along with hay, manure, horse blanket, oak and white wine.

Taste also has a deep rapberry presence as well as sour yeast, wooden wine barrels, and farmyad funk.

Clean, refreshing body is well carbonated. Nice dry, acidic finish. Tasty stuff.

rye726, Jul 14, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

Corked and caged bottle split with a friend. Poured into a Duvel glass. My 1st and hopefully not last wild beer from BF.

A- Frambozen has a nice fruit punch red color that has some clarity to it, Im able to see through it, almost. On top lays a thin white skim that does not fully coat the surface, a few swirls takes care of that. Minimum lacing.

S- On first whiffs, this reminded me of blushing monk with some wildness to it. A light funk in the beginning progressed with time while a nice blast of raspberry and cherries is up front. Getting very light vanilla and oak. Light brett and barnyard.

T- Frambozen did not blow me away but I liked it more as time passed. A light mix of raspberry and tart cherry, pretty much a malange of dark berries. After that some funk/tart with a old sweat sock. This is followed by vanilla and oak/wood. Kind of reminded me of a funkier version of Weyerbacher Riserva.

M- A small step above light bodied with a nice light carb felt throughout the bottom of the mouth. At first the fruits take the stage which is followed by the tart/wild part of this beer. Crisp, light and refreshing.

D- Really could not drink this quick, I was savoring it. Small sips are the best for this. The ABV is low but the acidity gets in the way somewhat hindering the possibility for big gulps. Im glad I shared the bottle as a whole one of these would be a bit much, even for me, a guy who adores his sours.

Good Job Bullfrog.

BARFLYB, Jul 14, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks Greg (Hophead101) for sending me this hard to get and delicious beer!!! :-)

Appearance: Poured with a small off white skily head that dissipated to a thin layer, which lasted through the majority of the beer. The head left almost no lacing on my glass. The beer is a rusty orange/red with a bit of haze to it.

Smell: Juicy raspberry is prevalent, creamy berry smoothie, light tartness, sweet tangy fruit.

Taste: Tangy berries, sweet juicy/ripe raspberries, sour bit, a little bit of a grassy flavor, and some woody oak flavors.

Moutfeel: Tangy bite, medium body, good amount of carbonation, and a smooth creamy feel.

Overall: Really good drinkability, nice juicy sweet ripe raspberry character, creamy texture and flavors. The ripe sweetness helps balance out the sour tangy flavors.

natasharai, Jul 14, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +16%

Received this bottle from my main man over in the Cuse. This will officially be my first brew from Bullfrog but I have a few more in the cellar awaiting a monstrous August tasting. Thought this would be a nice 4th of July treat while watching golf. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Appearance- Pours a very hazy pinkish red with a fairly nice one finger bright white head that bubbles away very quickly. A spotty cap of bubbles remain and a super thin collar that leaves zero lacing.
Smell- Not necessarily the strongest nose in the world but it's has all the intangibles that makes me know this beer is going to be tasty. It's slightly tart with a big raspberry profile. Some malt vinegar and green apples add a bit more of that sharp acidic bite that I love. Lightly dirty and earthy with a bit of wet dog and mushroom but its very subtle and really only peaks in once the beer warms. Not a lot of wood in the nose but there is enough cream or vanilla to let you know it's definitely been barrel aged.
Taste- Whew, fiercely acidic and soured the raspberries are very potent. A crisp green apple and pear like profile adds to the blast of fruity sourness as well. More Lactic goodness than Brett for sure, just how I like it. Slightly vinegary as the acidity really seems to be more pumped up than usual because the raspberries are so potent. A bit of cheese funk or toe jam but it's really only on the finish and linger as the fruit drowns it out. The wood is also noticeable on the finish as it's slightly tannic and full of vanillin.
Mouthfeel- Light and zesty with a strong bite from the carbonation. Acidic and fruity on the tongue as it's lightly sour and quenching.
Drinkability- One of the best fruit American Lambics I've had (I think). It tastes A LOT like Uplands, just with way less barrel. The fruit is a bit more amped up and the sour is less quenching and intrusive. Very drinkable and extremely enjoyable. I know the bottle limit is low on this but seek it out either this year or the next. Thanks Adam - although slow and often dangerous behind the wheel, you can still serve a purpose!

younger35, Jul 07, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Brought this up to split with some STLHops.com guys @ The Stable.

A - Bottle opens with a nice "pop" and a small amount of white head pours our very slowly but in time to pour right into a tulip. Light reddish color with a fizzy white head with very lively bubbles - very much like champagne.

S - Raspberries, sour/tart, sweet fruit - very enticing!

T - Sour, but not too sour for what I'm expecting out of this one. Lots of raspberries, but then again, not too sweet. Everything is just to my liking. Some oak from the barrels in there as well. Very well balanced. A sour but not a super-sour...very nice.

M - Light, fizzy, perfect carbonation. Very refreshing for a summers day.

D - Very easy to drink. I could easily have more...great job, Bullfrog.

Everyone who sampled this beer really enjoyed it. A lot of STLHoppers said it was a great beer and I agree. A winner.

Sean9689, Jul 04, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Sampled June 2009
The cork looks a bit amateurish in its insertion as it is put in way to far and requires a cork screw to take out. This is a bit of a gusher, but nothing that a quick pour doesn't mitigate. A solid pour starts out with a three-finger thick, lightly pink tinged, tan colored head. The beer is a hazy, dark pink tinged, red-amber color that shows a murky, bright red color when held up to the light. The aroma has an acidic, raspberry infused note to it that is noticeable as I pour this beer. A more focused look at the nose yields a raspberry seed and flesh note, that is more tart than anything, but does have a hint of fruity sweetness towards the back. The raspberry and acid is by far the most dominant note in the aroma, but the finish does see a touch of musty, earthy, lightly musky, phenolic Brettanomyces signature that becomes more noticeable now that I have recognized it. As you take a focused, multiple succession of draughts of the aroma the raspberry is noticed first, but the Brett becomes much more noticeable as it tries to banish the raspberry; it can never do this as the hit of tart, fleshy, tannic raspberry is the first thing you notice each time I come back to it.

The beer is tart up front, with perhaps just a wisp of a hint of sweetness. As it flows across the tongue the beer foams up a bit excessively, but it comes under control after venting for a bit. The finish has some spicy oak character, a touch of funky phenolics and some woody tannic astringency to it that provides a bit of sharpness as a contrast to the upfront tartness. The acidity seems to be mostly lactic in character, though the raspberry definitely contributes to some of the tartness. A touch of plastic, phenolic character spices the middle as does a peppery carbonic bite. The raspberry character is much muted compared to the expressive nose, this is definitely something I appreciate as this particular fruit can be a bit much for me; there is a nice fresh fruitiness as well as a raspberry flesh note, both of which give this beer a nice spicing, even a deep infusion, of that distinct raspberry signature note. Once the excessive carbonation has been driven off the body picks up some structure from the tannins, but still remains light and drinkable. The balance between the tart and sweet becomes a bit more equal as the beer warms up, though the tartness is still the more noticeable of the two.

I definitely like that the raspberry character is not overwhelming in this beer, I was a bit worried about that and excessive sweetness before I cracked this beer; thankfully this is quite dry and the raspberry character isn't totally overwhelming. I could wish that a little more of the base beer was noticeable under the raspberry character, but the oak is at a nice level, enough to add a complexity and depth, but without being overly noticeable. The combination of the oak and sharp fermentation character does make the finish just a touch hot, but again, nothing overly noticeable. In the end this is pretty nice, I could certainly wish for more complexity and a sharper acidty, but this is still is quite drinkable and even tasty & it does have a great balance between the notes that are found here.

Gueuzedude, Jul 03, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured into my snifter, the beer is pinkish red with a small fizzy white head. The crown quickly disappears, leaving a creamy ring of foam loitering near the edge of the glass.

The aroma is quite nice, defined by fresh and ripe raspberries. It's sugary and sweet, but doesn't smell like syrup or artificial puree. Oak is evident, as well as vanilla and earthy notes.

The taste is of sweet, fresh raspberries with some acidity. Other flavors are of oak, tannins, and a little vanilla. Tartness is at a very low level, and some lactic character is evident. It seems like more of a fruit beer than a Wild Ale or sour. I'm really enjoying the flavor, until it suddenly disappears. "No...it can't be," I tell myself while taking another sip. Sure enough, the finish leaves me plummeting into the abyss. In the end my palate is left wanting something, some sort of resolution or closure.

The beer is light bodied with a nice medium-high level of carbonation. Overall this beer was enjoyable, and though I found the finish to be far too abrupt its strengths evened things out in the end. Though the raspberries will undoubtedly fade with time, some age might do well for the flavor and finish of this beer. I'm interested to find out.

HopHead84, Jul 02, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

750ml bottle into goblet. Many thanks to FooFaa for sharing!

A - Poured a cloudy orange-ish/rosey pink body with about half a finger of fluffy off-white head that quickly reduced to a thin ring and left virtually no lacing.

S - Aroma offers a nice balance of tart and sour notes, raspberry sweetness and a healty dose of Brett, which gives off a slight band-aid quality.

T - Flavor is primarily tart and sour but with a subtle underlying fruity raspberry sweetness and a fairly assertive Brett character. Plenty of oaky tannins and woody notes offer a bit of dryness and astringency.

M - Medium bodied with a light syrupy texture and vigorous carbonation resulting in a prickly mouthfeel. Finish is fairly dry and quite tart on the palate.

D - The sour character is much more pronounced than I had anticipated, but it never goes over the top. There was a lot of hype (and controversy) surrounding this beer, so I was glad to have had the opportunity to try this. Not my favorite in the Bullfrog pantheon, but a fine wild ale nonetheless.

ffejherb, Jun 26, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

A big thanks goes out to Jason for sharing this one with me on Saturday. I wanted to try this one since I first heard it existed and after the whole release fiasco I thought I wouldn't be able to try it, so thanks again for the opportunity.

The beer looks wonderful in the glass, a hazy, fiery red grapefruit color with an inch of light, rosy foam. The head falls down to form a ring around the glass.

Sweet raspberries on the nose, oak tannins, vinegar, lots of fleshy and juicy raspberries, lemons, acidity, and some funk in the background but not enough to balance the sweet fruit. Hints of vanilla later on. I did enjoy the intense fruit aroma, it made my mouth water, but would have liked a little more balance and a stronger brett and sour presence.

The taste was rather disappointing. Plastic raspberry flavor (almost artificial tasting, which really took me by surprise considering the fresh fruit aroma), aspirin, and oak tannins on the first sip. More lemon and a little more tartness in the next couple of sips. The problem lies in the lack of a finish. The beer just seems to fall off a cliff after the swallow and there is no sourness or fruit flavors to linger on the palate. Lacking in sourness throughout but the finish just hurts this beer. Medium dryness in the finish. Lacks complexity.

The mouthfeel is not too bad, a tad syrupy, low level of carbonation.

I honestly wasn't craving any more of this beer and was quite disappointed. I bet a few years in the bottle will do this beer good though.

seaoflament, Jun 15, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -12%

Thanks to the guy below me here, BeerTruth, for hooking me up with my one and only bottle. Nice to finally meet you in person Adam. A corked 750ml bottle shared with a few members of the NEPA beer club and poured into my Cantillon glass. Frambozen appears the color of a milky ruby gemstone with about a finger of quickly fading light pink foam. Aromas and flavor consist of ripe tart cherries, mildly funky, oak, a bit of astringent tannins. Not as puckering as I'd like. The flavor just about falls off a cliff after each sip. The body seemed a bit thin, but this ale certainly had ample carbonation. Glad I had the chance to try this one. Thanks again Adam! This one might benefit from some time in the cellar, but until I happen upon another taste, I'll be moving on...

ClockworkOrange, Jun 09, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Here we go folks, the oh so contorversial FRAMBOZEN...ooo, aaaahh!

750 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a beautiful ruby red with a quick (and quite loud) one finger light pink head that just about disappears within seconds. A thin outter ring remains atop the beer, but nothing in terms of lacing along the sides of the glass. Wonderful aroma consisting of tart cherries, raspberries, and some rhubarb. A very noticable oak in the nose with a good dose of musty barnyard and dry hay. Flavor starts of with sweet raspberries, cherries, and strawberries but the funk quickly emerges. By no means is the sour level like a Cantillon, but it's definitely there and in control. Aftertaste is pretty tart with a touch of vinegar, apples, and dry grass. Mouthfeel is interesting, pretty light body with a stinging carbonation, but not exactly active. If this had crazy bubbles like Brute, I'd be in heaven. I like this beer a lot, and I have a feeling I'll like it even more with some age on it. Hype or not, this is a quality sour.

BeerTruth, Jun 09, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Pours a hazy pink. The small head diminishes quickly.

S: The beer has an amazing aroma. Raspberry, Cherry, wood and funk. One of the best I have encountered.

T: Raspberry up front, not as sour as I would have liked. You can definitely taste the Brett. Overall it's good, but the aroma had me hoping for something a lot more sour/funky.

M: Good carbonation and nice mouthfeel. Right on point for the style in my opinion

D: Very drinkable. Light and refreshing

This is a solid beer. I was hoping for something amazing, especially once the bottle was opened and I got my first hit of that awesome aroma. The taste definitely does not live up to it. I'm hoping this will get more sour and funky in time. If so, my rating would go way up. Definitely one to put in the cellar for a while and see what happens.

Avalon68, Jun 07, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours a hazy pink with a similar colored head. Smell is sweet and funky and enjoyable. The taste fails to match the smell. The beer lacks body and is not as tart as I like my wild ales/sours to be. The mouthfeel is also uneventful. The flavor and tart seem to dissapear way too quickly for my liking. From a person who likes wild ales and sours, this one falls flat.

Update: I recently had an aged bottle of this and it is much more balanced.

mymrnngjckt, Jun 07, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Bottle picked up at the release party this past Friday.

Appearance: Cloudy hazy slightly pinkish red body with a white crown. The crown might have the slightest pink tinge but it is predominantly white. The hazed quality is what excites me about the appearance of this brew more than anything.

Smell: Loads of cherries, some traces of raspberries, and a ever so slightly muted horse blanket underbelly. The dry oak makes a momentary appearance in the nose as does a lemon acidic note.

Taste: Pretty much the same as my description of the smell. The brett never overpowers, but never dissappoints either. It is just quaffable and well refined. Lots of cherries and dry raspberries plus some lemon zest work well with the dry finish. This isn't an in your face extreme sour. More like a great fruit beer with some brett and a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Light and spritzy with enough carbonation and a medium to thin body. Could perhaps use a touch more body. It's almost spot on but I want it to be the smallest bit richer.

Drinkability: This is quite the "sessionable sour" if that means much. Its probably too dry and a touch too acidic for everybody to down it all night long, but hardcore sour fans would probably find this to be no problem at all. Again, the sourness is more absent than I expected it to be. It's dry and a touch tart with a nice brett dose but at no time does this beer reach an extreme level of sourness.

Our group sampled a New Glarus Raspberry Tart right after this brew and we all agreed that we preferred the Frambozen approach to a fruit beer. The dry character and brett made the NG RT taste like an overly sweet wine cooler. While it wasn't the wildest of wild ales, I really prefer a wild fruit ale over a standard fruit ale.

I'm glad we took the 3 hour journey for this one.

koopa, Jun 07, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

In general, this beer reminds me of a blend between Consecration and Supplication, with nice fruit qualities and minor funk with a light, clean finish. A great beer deserves a great review.

A: Pours a hazy glowing red with slight brick colored characteristics. The head is white, but tinted rose colored and is very spritzy. The constant rapid flow of bubbles keep the head alive most of the time.

S: All in all, hands down incredible. I was expecting a blast of raspberries, but instead I got a blast of cherries with a hint of raspberry. It is a very robust smell coupled with lemon zest, lemon rinds, acedic qualities, vanilla and dry oak.

T: Again, reminds me of Consecration and Supplication blend. Not mouth puckering or incredibly funky, but just clean, sour and fruity. Nice raspberry and cherry flavors blended with lemon zest, vanilla and oak. For being 6ABV, this beer really captured the qualities of the Brett and ingredients superbly.

M,D: Pretty highly carbonated, but pretty much spot on for the style. Very drinkable and refreshing.

Overall, I know this beer was hyped up to the clouds, but if you get the chance to try it, I think you will concur.

treyrab, Jun 06, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +16%

This beer has been fiercely debated in the Midwest forum. Lets remember folks, it's just beer! And this truly is one hell of a beer, at that.

I was fortunate enough to be the recipient of a case. When others were let down by availability, I did my best to share the wealth.

As I poured this into a tulip, I immediately noticed a body similar to that of Consecration in both color and haziness. A soft fizzy pink head is also released, only to die within a minute or two of pour. The body is a beautiful golden ruby red, and tons of carbonation bubbles rush up to the top.

This beer smells exceptional. The only qualm I have is that what should be raspberries is replaced with a tart cherry scent. I'm not going to complain too much as this scent is executed near perfect. Tons of vanilla oak produce a superb component. The brett comes out boldly to provide a breathtaking scent.

I did not hesitate in tasting the coveted and now controversial Frambozen. Really tart cherry/raspberry on the forefront. As my palate ventures further, it finds Brett everywhere. Not a funky/cheesy brett, more lemon and tart, very fitting for the style and incredibly mouth puckering. Sweet oaky vanilla on the finish really makes for a superb beer.

The mouthfeel is there, and the biggest reason why my score is so high in this area is because this beer is only 6 percent. I was expecting a much thinner beer. Very carbonated which really does this beer well.

I'm not the type that can slug back wilds all day, though I have a lot of respect and appreciation for the style as it is among my favorites. This beer really reminds me of Consecration, with no edge to either. If you want more vinous wine like, go with Consecration. If you want more lambic like then Frambozen is it.

NO grade inflation here. They make great beer, they deserve great ratings. I may have been a local at one point, though the hike took me 8 hours roundtrip today. I am a believer, Terry and Steve, you guys never let me down.

Cheers,