Golden Egg - Bullfrog Brewery

Golden Egg
No picture uploaded.

Bullfrog Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  ABV ?

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Huhzubendah on 04-17-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
pcsnyder

1.71/5  rDev -46.4%

This review comes from my tasting notes.

Few beers make me want to retch. This one did. My husband had a taste of this and ran to the restroom. I thought, "It can't be THAT bad." It's not the first time I've been wrong, and I'm sure it won't be the last time, either.

In the glass, it was very hazy and straw in color. It had a very thin head that fell quickly and left little to no lacing on the glass.

Aroma is mainly of bitter chocolate. Not really surprising, since the tap board says they added French nibs. But it's not an aroma I expect from such a light-colored beer. There's a good malty background to the smell, too, but it doesn't seem to balance well with the nibs.

Not fond of the taste, to say the least. It seriously tastes like bile. The nibs are more than overwhelming, and they do NOT match well with either the malt or the hop flavors. This is the only beer I ever spat back into the glass.

I gave mouthfeel an average rating because I couldn't keep the beer in my mouth long enough to register it.

Overall, I really can't understand why so many people around town have good things to say about this beer. I love Belgian beers, strong ales especially, but they really missed the mark on this one. The only thing I could think was that maybe the keg had been agitated before they pulled my glass, and that I got a lot more sediment than I should have, but even so, the flavors were out of balance, and the nibs should not have been added at all, IMO. The nibs bring a flavor you expect to find in DARK beer, but is entirely out of place in a straw-colored brew. That one additive was way too harsh and strong of a flavor to add to the more delicate malt and hops profile of a Belgian strong.

04-23-2013 14:34:10 | More by pcsnyder
mvanaskie13

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%

Picked up a growled after brunch; poured into standar pint glass; nice pale straw color, light ring of white head

Smell is thin, sweet malt, hint of yeast spice.

Taste is nice malt sweetness, light biscuit/bread flavors. Finishes with a dry taste and lingering light spicy yeast flavors

Mouthfeel is a touch on the drawn out cloying side, but somewhat expected with the style

Overall, well done, I like the spicy yeast notes and the malt/dryness balance.

04-24-2011 00:39:00 | More by mvanaskie13
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

Thanks again to Darrell for sharing a growler of this. I had a higher opinion than my friend Matt (Huhzuhbendah) about this interesting Golden/Strong Pale Ale with cocoa nibs added.

A: Golden with a core of dark orange and nice ring of frothy white head.

S/T: Interesting mix of straw dry blonde yeasty malts with champagne grape with a non familiar flavor in this style, dark chocolate which I think works out quite nicely. A little citrus rind and some alcohol sweetness and complexity in the nose and taste. Some interesting spicy pepper notes that I like! Cool beer, and for me, a nice change of pace from the norm in this style.

M: Full carbonation and lighter feel which works. Overall, a unique and cool beer.

04-19-2011 01:12:14 | More by Dreadnaught33
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.15/5  rDev -1.3%

Growler shared by durwoodx. Thanks Darrell.

An Easter offering. Belgian golden ale aged on cacao nibs.

The beer appears a bright, golden hue. The white head is 1/4" thick and leaves some decent lacing on the chalice. The aroma brings a potent dose of hot, spicy, cacao nibs. The flavor is full of cacao nibs, and has a tabasco like characteristic throughout. The feel is a bit harsh and out of balance. The special ingredient takes center stage and overshadows everything else. This is hard to finish. Fun to try, but I have had enough of this.

04-17-2011 19:41:57 | More by Huhzubendah
Golden Egg from Bullfrog Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.