Potro - Cerveceria Mexicana S.A. De C.V.

Cerveceria Mexicana S.A. De C.V. visit their website

English Stout |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: GClarkage on 01-25-2005

Granted, this beer doesn't fit exactly in the definition of a Stout --any Stout.
But an e-mail from the brewmaster of this facility clearly states that their intention is to make a lighter version of an English Stout.
Why tone it down? Weather issues.
They want a beer that can be enjoyed in our mostly hot climate so it can appeal Mexican beer drinkers.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.73/5  rDev +22.7%

Beer comes in the coolest bottle out there in beerland. Pours pitch black, no can see thru the light, head disappears quickly. Smells a bit like cocoa. Taste is a really nice cocoa flavor and some burnt malt (but in a good way) Mouthfeel is a bit of a let down, real thin and watery. Overall it is pretty good, one of two beers from Mexico that is pretty tasty (Negra Modelo is the other) Tastes more like a black lager rather than a porter, but it's still pretty good. Worth seeking out.

2.43/5  rDev -20.1%

Saw the cool looking bottle at the store and grabbed one. Apparently its a mexican brewed porter, although the bottle makes no mention of the beer style. Pours a dark brown with a brown head that disappears after a minute or two. Smell has hints of malt and some chemical I can't ID. The taste is OK. Average, nothing special. Has hints of chocolate malt. All in all this beer is drinkable but average. I've had worse and a lot that are better.

2.96/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a really cool looking, 1 pint 9 fluid oz blue bottle. The bottle and the fact that it was made in Mexico were the only reasons I bought this beer.

Appearance- Pours a deep brown with a finger width head. Pretty plane Jane.

Smell- Watered down roasted malts. Smells like a half-assed Guiness.

Taste- Reminds me a lot of Guiness. Roasted malt mixed with some distilled water and hints of cream.

Mouthfeel- A little dry and creamy, but mostly bland. This would be a good dark beer to throw back one after another. The drinkablity is what is nice about this beer.

2.91/5  rDev -4.3%

A Mexican Porter in a weird blue bottle? I had to try it. I'd never had anything but Mexican lagers... and they range from decent (Dos Equis, Tecate) to trendy and crappy (Corona and Sol). Could Mexico brew a truly great beer? Alas, my answer after trying this beer is still "no."

The beer pours out a dark black, and resembles a flat coke... no bubbles, no head. I caught a whiff of coffee right after I poured. Then I took a taste...
what a disappointment!

It's not that this beer tastes bad, it that it has almost no flavor. The first thing that hits the tounge is a sour tang, then the faintest hint of coffee, then nothing. No trace of hops. This is the weakest tasting porter I've ever had (maybe it comes from its relatively low ABV).

The one good thing about this beer is that you can really drink it like water. There's no chance of savoring any flavor, just pour it down the hatch (like a Natty lite). Of course, the $5 price tag for one of these babies maks drinking a dozen of these cost prohibitive.

Ultimately, this is a session beer disguised as a craft beer. I'd get it again if I could get a 12 pack for $7, but there's no way I'm spending $5 for a bottle of this weak beer. My search for a great Mexican beer continues...

3.7/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought this for the equivalent of $2.30 in a Mexican gas station near the town of Queretaro by Mexico City. Great 500 ml cobalt blue bottle. Beer color is Dark coffee brown. Body on the heavy side, steady carbonation, but a weird smell. Do they use cactus or tequila in this brew? Toasted grain aroma. Definite licorice notes, medium sweetness, nuts, milkiness. Malty, roasted nutty aroma. Metallic and an odd flavor. This porter has something unusual in it, I just can not place it. Above average as far as mexican beers go, and not too bad, but you need to acquire a taste for this one. Maybe this is a dark lager in disguise?

4.22/5  rDev +38.8%

Pours a very dark brown color, almost black; very small head, Smell is of roasted malt and coffee, Taste is some chocolate and coffee, Mouthfeel is soft and moderate carbonation, Very drinkable.

This is a good beer, I really enjoyed this one.

I think the best mexican beer.

3.36/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a one-finger light tan head that goes quickly leaving traces of lace. Totally black color, light carbonation and light bodied. Nose is slightly malty. Starts sweet, roasted coffee and chocolate finish. One of the better Mexican beers I have had. $5.49 for 500ml bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

3.71/5  rDev +22%

Very dark body, with a tiny head that leaves a good lace. When i saw this bottle i wasnt expecting a porter. Good smell, a little coffe like, roasted malt all over... Good decent taste, it leaves the feeling of eating something burnt, but i think thats the point of a porter.

4.58/5  rDev +50.7%

Extremely I am fascinated and contented for this beer, a real mexican porter in Mexico made by mexican in the birthplace of our independence, viva mexico, its flavor nothing requests to English porter, its aroma nothing request to the Irish, his bottle had a touch of vintage look in blue cobalt, only one thing, his label it leaves much to be desired, his caramel and chocolat malt gives a wonderful flavor.

4.6/5  rDev +51.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

NIce product. As other said, it is a surprise and coming from a Tequila producer. It has toasted grains on int, smells like coffee, like a stout may say. The bottle, is really awesome for a Mexican beer, I think more products like this should be made. New in Mexican market and new from the country to the world.

3.55/5  rDev +16.8%

I picked up a bottle of this in West Hartford. THe bottle sold me on the purchase. Great looking bottle!!
The beer is chilled and I am pouring into a pint glass.
The brew pours a deep dark cola brown color with no lite passing through.
A sparse beige head foams up .5 cm with an agressive pour. It fades rather quickly to an edge layer.
Aroma is mild with some chocolate and caramel mixing with some lite earthy hops, but the dominant force is malt.
First sip reveals a much liter than expected body, but should have expected that due to the origin of the beer. It is hot down there lite bodied beers rule.
The carbonation is average and soft.Flavor is just as nose advertises. Fairly mild up front with some brown sugar and caramel, almost too light in flavor. After the swallow some roasted malt and chocolate lingers in my mouth. THe finish is the strongest part of the flavor profile for sure. The beer is not deep or complex, but there is some flavor and it would be good on a hot sunny beach day, but for drinking in my apartment it is average.

3.82/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

From a bottle picked up at Key Food, Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn. The ultraviolet-blue bottle itself is very eyecatching, the neck being longer than the rest of the container.

Very dark - black - minimal head. Not much carbonation (which I find a bonus for drinkability). Aroma has pleasant hints of coffee. Quite dry with subtle burnt and roast flavours coming through; it fades a bit on the finish. Reminds me a lot of a British Dark Mild in some ways.

A surprisingly decent beer from Mexico.

3.62/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

World class, cobalt blue bottle. Pours almost black, dark tan head and wispy lacing. Nose is of powdered sugar, chocolate and coffee. Fairly thin body wise, Watery in the mid section. Nice subtle notes of more chocolate and coffee picked up. Can't pick up much if any hops/bittering late. Eh, I didn't have real high hopes for a porter from Mexico. This one tastes more like a light sweet Caribean stout. there is much better porter/stout out there...

3.35/5  rDev +10.2%

05/05/05- Purchased at New City Beer in NYC, on a whim being it's Cinco de Mayo..

Presentation- 500ml cool sapphire blue bottle . Poured into my Duvel Tulip glass.

Appearance- Glorius dark brown coffee color. I love Dirty motor oil in my glass. It made a very small head and lacing that sank down the glass quick. Hey, this 40 weight oil is more like 3 in one.

Smell- Thewre's a bit of musty malty scent and maybe the slightest of raisin but I might be wrong.

Taste- OK, we got smoke here, not a Rauschbier but it's there. No fruits as I can tell but a bit of the 'ol Starbucks is present.

Mouthfeel- Kinda light to me. I expected a more bodacious body like an English porter but we are talkin' South of the Boarder here.

Drinkability- Well all I can say, It's Cinco de Mayo and if I have to have a Mexican beer then it will be this one. Corona I can water my plants with. Olé!

3.8/5  rDev +25%

This one is certainly a surprise since it's made in the Mexican state of Guanajuato not known for it's breweries ...actually it's not made by a brewery, but a tequila distillery: Hacienda Corralejo.

Not a bad product at all:
Dark brown, little head and almost no lacing.
Malty odor, even a little fruity.
Chocolaty taste, not too strong for a dark beer.
Nice hoppy aftertaste.

As a Mexican beer lover, this one is aimed to be one of my summer favorites in a traditional Sunday carne asada (barbecue) to rinse down charbroiled thick red meats and sausages.

3.47/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

01/25/05- Purchased while on vacation in Cancun, Mexico.

Presentation- 500ml amazingly beautiful sapphire blue bottle in an antique shape. The code "lote 00113" on the back label. The front label pictures a horse on the front. I think "Potro" in spanish means colt. Poured into my 20oz Raeberger glass.

Appearance- Deep brown coffee grounds color. Very small head and zero lacing.

Smell- A sweet malty scent with maybe a slight roasted smell as well.

Taste- Begins with a nice sweet chocolaty and coffee taste and through the bottle you begin to pick up a decent amount of smokey tastes.

Mouthfeel- Light to moderate carbonation. A bit chewy.

Drinkability- The first bock I have had from Mexico. Not bad considering just about every beer I have had from there has been a disappointment except for maybe Negro Modello.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Potro from Cerveceria Mexicana S.A. De C.V.