Red Pig Mexican Ale - Cerveceria Mexicana S.A. De C.V.

Red Pig Mexican AleRed Pig Mexican Ale

Cerveceria Mexicana S.A. De C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: matty on 04-22-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.7/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

MOre than descent. This is orbably the only MExican ale remining in the country which is not an attempt of a clon. I liked it a lot and probably the name "MExican Red ale" goes too far but the conception is good. Everybody liked even thy are not used to the taste. (264 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +12.8%

A- Pours a clear coppery color with an expected large quantity of carbonation rising rapidly. The head is impressive, starting out about two fingers thick and it retains very well, settling to a dense layer of cloudy foam. Not as impressive is the lacing, which doesn't cling as much as I first thought it would, but there is a patchwork of small foam clusters sticking to my glass.

S- The aroma isn't very empowering, but what there is, is quite rich actually, with roasted malt and some floral hop present on the finish. It's just a little weak overall....kind of watery smelling.

T- There is more of the same here, with sweet, yet nutty malt qualities noticed. The finish does contain some of the aforementioned floral notes, but this does give way to a more Earthy leafy bitterness. Note....upon drinking this later in the review with some food, the bitter hop finish becomes a lot more distinct, cutting through some powerful herb crusted chicken dish!

M- This has a relatively thin body, but with that comes a refreshingly clean, yet flavorful nature. The carbonation isn't overdone either, giving this a creamier mouthfeel than I initially expected.

O- A respectable ale produced in a region that isn't known for having a great selection of style. It's a much more toned down version of an English Bitter, but is a good attempt at it. I would pick this up again in the future and don't feel this beer would offend the majority of palates. (1,450 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Yes, this is one of the better mexican beers I have had. Pours a good red color, and tastes very good. Iwould be willing to put it up there with Negra Modelo or Bohemia as one of my top mexican beers. I have never been horribly dissapointed with mexican beers, and this one was a very good find. Bravo. (302 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Suprise! As part of my goal to drink the worlds best and the worlds worst, I picked up this one expecting it to fall into the latter category. This "disappointed" me. It was very good.
Appearance: The beer is an amber orange, with a 2" white head that disappears quickly, but leaves some significant lacing.
Smell: Biscuity Malt, with some caramel.
Taste: some grain, caramel malt,
Mouthfeel: Limited carbonation, somewhat slick.
Drinkability: I think I'll buy another! (471 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +21.3%

Served in a mug... the color was exceptional but the great foam didn't last that much. Flavor was greatand it felt pretty smooth. Smell was exceptional too (some roasted toffee and caramel).

The bottle comes properly labeled and overall I felt it was a very well done beer.

I recommend it. (292 characters)

Well, I guess I'm weird or something, but I really like this one. As the bottle says, it's a "mexican ale" so comparing it to american amber/brown ales is apples and oranges. My dad brought me back some Mexican microbrews (can you believe theres such a thing?) and this beer has a lot of the characteristics I've noticed in them, but a lot better. Thinner body and sweet caramel flavors. It's like negra modelo, but better!

P.S. The cucapa barleywine is overrated, very cloying. (479 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +25.5%

This one is worth a try.

Very nice hazy brown-red appearance come through the pint glass while a very piney herbal smell emanates from the quickly receding head.

Flavor: coffe herbal mix that shows a very nice alcohol while at last it leaves a fruity end.

Medium body with good drinkability.

I will come back to this one. (325 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +42.6%

My review # 100. Look: Deep copper color, thin layer of foam; Smell: Malt with nutty and toffee scents; Taste: Complex, a mixture of malt with roasted toffee and coffee with citric hops, producing tamarind flavor; Mouthfeel: Refreshing, medium bitterness with a bittersweet end, high carbonation and medium body; Drinkability: Excellent taste, mouthfeel and easy to drink, a very good choice for my 100 review. (410 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Red Pig Mexican Ale from Cerveceria Mexicana S.A. De C.V.