Old Rasputin XVI Barrel Aged Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin XVI Barrel Aged StoutOld Rasputin XVI Barrel Aged Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Jtrigonis on 02-07-2014)
Reviews by jaydoc:
jaydoc

Kansas

03-02-2014 02:18:18 | More by jaydoc
don1481

Wisconsin

4.48/5  rDev +3%

Been saving this for a special occasion. I would say that the birth of my first child more than suffices!

500 ml bottle poured into glass.

Appearance: Pours with a nice, big, frothy khaki-colored head that leads to a very dark - almost pitch black - coffee colored liquid. Decent amount of bubbles in the beer that just sit along the side of the glass. This head is one of the most intriguing that I've ever seen - it's got big bubbles on the top that turn into really small and compact ones just above the beer. The head leaves a beautiful lacing along the side of the glass as it dies down. Just beautiful.

Smell: Oh my goodness. Coffee? Check. Chocolate? Check. Bourbon? Check! This is right up there with BCBS and its varietals such as coffee stout in terms of just sheer ecstasy from the smell. It's like when Bruce Willis was dead at the end of Sixth Sense good.

Taste: VERY boozy. That said, it still allows notes of chocolate, coffee, vanilla and even a little oak to blaze through. This isn't a taste for the weak of palette. This is very much an in-your-face beer that cuts right to the point of its boozy core. It keeps opening up and balancing out with the chocolate/coffee/vanilla notes as I let it sit.

Mouthfeel: Coffee and bourbon notes linger, but it's surprisingly lighter-bodied that I would have expected from a stout.

Overall: Ok, I think I need to find a way to get TWO of these bad boys next year so I can age one and have one at some point in the year. Very glad I saved this one for such a special occasion!

05-04-2014 03:22:16 | More by don1481
Spaten454

Louisiana

06-14-2014 21:00:15 | More by Spaten454
SanFranJake

3.58/5  rDev -17.7%

Enjoyed this last night, poured into a Stone IRS snifter.
Appearance was very solid. Dark coffee pour with a nice finger-plus of creamy head which gave way to lacing that was present the entire glass. I really enjoyed it ascetically.
The smell on the other and was not all that I had hoped it would be. While the bourbon barrel was present, it was faint. I may have been ruined by the other ba stouts of late (Parabola, Bo & Luke) but while decent, was not up to my expectations. Especially for the price.
The taste, much like the nose, was a letdown. Hello barrel, it's me Jake. Are you there? Again, my other ba stouts could had tainted my impression.
Mouthfeel was thin. That's all I got for ya here.
Overall, I'm glad I tried it. I cracked it because to Whole Foods 20% sale is coming up and I was wondering if I wanted to grab another when that hits... I don't. With access to other BA stouts like Parabola, I'll gladly get more beer by volume, at $6 less and a beer that is leaps and bounds better than BA Raspy. I've got XIV & XV in the cellar, so hope they aren't the blue balls let down this was.

04-26-2014 12:14:03 | More by SanFranJake
MNMike

03-21-2014 21:05:49 | More by MNMike
HeyYoMar

04-06-2014 01:00:54 | More by HeyYoMar
BurgeoningBrewhead

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into snifter; pours like coffee, black in the glass with a massive creamy tan head that fades very slowly.
Smells great; dark, lightly metallic coffee/chocolate malt bitterness with a well-balanced dose of bourbon, vanilla, toffee, and oak.
Tastes awesome...huge coffee and chocolate, with a nice bourbon flavor with oak and vanilla. Finishes long, dark and bitter with coffee lingering forever.
Mouthfeel is deceptively light, well-carbonated so it's fluffy like a quad. Well-done.
Overall, this is a delicious beer and I can't wait to crack the second one I'm aging for a few years.

04-22-2014 02:00:11 | More by BurgeoningBrewhead

05-14-2014 00:05:26 | More by JamesStreet
ONovoMexicano

New Mexico

4.59/5  rDev +5.5%

I've been wanting to try this for a while and had seen it in San Francisco but was scared off by the price tag. Found it in Santa Fe and figured (correctly) that there'd be a limited amount in our state and bit the bullet.

I poured the beer into a snifter from the 16.9 oz. bottle. The beer produces a four-finger thick head that looks a dark khaki-color the way milk and coffee mix. The liquid is pitch black but still shows some light carbonation. The head persists for long after the pour, remaining chewy-looking and thick enough to support a cap. Lace is pegged all around the glass thick and frothy. I like what I'm seeing.

I'm hit with a lot of oak on the nose and a vinous aroma, I'd almost think this had been aged in wine barrels. A second whiff gives me strong notes of dark chocolate. Another whiff and I've discovered the spicy bourbon aroma with hints of vanilla and caramel. I like what I'm finding on the nose here.

I do get some alcohol astringency on this, but that's too be expected for a beer that most would probably age. My mouth is tasting a lot of baker's chocolate and this flavor lingers on my tongue. The front end of the beer is where I get the bourbon notes, particularly a rich vanilla flavor that hits the mouth creamy and thick (pause!). There's also oaky and spicy notes about mid-palate. Just looking at my notes, I could sum this up by saying there's a lot going on here and it's all good.

Despite the slight astringency I mentioned, this beer is exceptionally creamy and smooth. There is touch of carbonation felt on the tongue, plus some spice, but this mostly goes down easy.

I know I mentioned the price and this beer is expensive, but compared to other beers I've spend in the $20+ range, this is a definitive standout. It's delicious, ready-to-drink immediately and thus doesn't require age to enjoy. I'm almost tempted to splurge and buy another to age. Or maybe two so I can drink another and age one. Damn good.

02-27-2014 03:18:34 | More by ONovoMexicano
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%

500ml caged and corked, solid-ass bottle. Thanks are again in order to the good doktorzee for procuring this one for me on a recent trip stateside. Cheers, man!

This beer pours a solid, abyssal black, with the slightest of basal cola highlights, and four chubby fingers of puffy, densely foamy, rocky, and creamy tan head, which leaves some stellar random continental profile lace around the glass as things slowly sink away.

It smells of somewhat acrid bourbon barrel - alcohol-soaked wood staves, dry vanilla, semi-sweet caramel, and a bit of grainy spice - bittersweet cocoa powder, singed marshmallows, anise, a faint lactic creaminess, and an underlying roasted grainy caramel malt. The taste falls pretty much right in line, as the aggressive barrel characters continue to lead the charge - vanilla, besotted wood, thin caramel - all the while a bit more prominent base of roasted bready caramel malt pushes to the forefront, the gritty milk chocolate holding steady, the licorice maintaining its stale department store nature, alongside a rather genial plum and raisin fruitiness, a touch of tobacco ash, and faint earthy, weedy hops.

The carbonation is moderate, and mostly frothy in its bearing, the body a decent medium-full weight, and quite smooth, with a strong creaminess building as it warms. It finishes on the sweet side, the bourbon pretty much having infiltrated the whole of this offering, and with the wooden acridity now taking its seat in the shade, the chocolate/vanilla/caramel triumvirate proceeds to run, if not quite amok, then at least a wee bit wild.

A long-time want, from both a personal and professional perspective, this offering certainly delivers, firing on all proverbial cylinders. Big, beefy, Bourbony, boozy, and balanced, bro (today's review obviously brought to you by the letter 'b')! Worthy of checking out, and savouring, should the chance ever avail itself to you.

04-11-2014 04:46:54 | More by biboergosum

Washington

06-27-2014 16:24:51 | More by jmccraney
Alieniloquium

4.19/5  rDev -3.7%

500 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black. Big khaki head. Beautiful lacing and great retention.

Smell - Extremely oaky. Sharp oak. Even a bit of acidity from the oak. Bourbon. Dark chocolate. Black roasted malt.

Taste - Coffee malts. As much oak in the taste as in the nose. Sharp woodiness. Bitter chocolate. Bourbon flavor lingers into the finish.

Mouthfeel - The oak is pretty intense. Detracts from the drinkability, but it's a nice flavor. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Crazy oak. Covers the beer a bit, but the bourbon adds a nice element.

07-27-2014 01:42:11 | More by Alieniloquium

zonker17

04-21-2014 02:28:46 | More by zonker17
Gmann

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a jet black color with a beige creamy tight head that settles into a puffy cap.

The aroma is of milk chocolate and vanilla. Nice woody notes, wet bark. Light bourbon note.

The taste is of bourbon but in a very balanced sort of way. It dominates the flavor but is not hot or overbearing. It brings a slightly sour oak note and some vanilla. The bourbon also provides a sweet caramel hit. Its not overly roasty which is odd since the base beer is a big roasty RIS.

Moderate to full bodied with noticeable carbonation. Drinks sweet but its balanced. ABV is no where to be found. Drinks crazy well for a BA brew.

A very enjoyable bourbon barrel aged stout. The bourbon is mellow but very noticeable. Again not hot and boozy. The stout loses some of its roasty-ness but it is quite impressive for a BA stout. I really enjoy the balance.

03-16-2014 02:42:41 | More by Gmann
Old Rasputin XVI Barrel Aged Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.