Old Rasputin XVI Barrel Aged Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin XVI Barrel Aged StoutOld Rasputin XVI Barrel Aged Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.30% ABV

Beer added by: Jtrigonis on 02-07-2014

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

A - Big latte colored head, dark as night body, head is 3 fingers.

S - Beautiful dark fruits, that classic bourbon smell, some softness from the barrels, vanilla, mocha, coffee, dark chocolate.

T - The best tasting Bourbon Stout I've had. Wow, bourbon up front, the stout in the middle, ends with this mocha, coffee, vanilla goodness.

M - Heavy no way around this, it is however way more carbonated surprisingly.

O - This is one solid beer, and I'm glad I did not wait to crack this open. I am going to age another one. This is so damn good, I wish this was in a 4 pack. This easily is just as good as Bourbon County Stout and I just wish NC brewed this more. I'd pay to have this in my fridge at all times.

Not sure what north coast did this year, but this BA version is out of this world awesome. I don't give to many 5s, but this was really really nice....a perfect example of a great big bourbon stout...and not overpowering with alcohol or anything else...balanced very nicely. Lot of carbonation, nice notes of the barrel, very drinkable...all around A-plus!

4.91/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark and thick. Completely opaque. 2 finger dark khaki head which sticks around for a while. Has a cream, dense look to it. Sticky lacing.

Aroma is smooth and intoxicating. Bourbon and rich chocolate. Vanilla, oak, and caramel. Cream, light molasses, brown sugar, and hints of espresso. Dark fruit flavors. Raisins.

Big flavors, smooth and well blended. Bourbon, chocolate and espresso. Vanilla and oak. Mass of sweet notes. Molasses, brown sugar, and milk chocolate. Some smoke and tobacco lingering around the edges.

Thick mouth feel. Creamy on the tongue. Moderate carbonation. Sweet and rich. Long lasting flavors.

One of the best barrel aged stouts out there. Big flavors, balanced and blended.

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

500ml poured into snifter.

Looks like a classic BBA aged stout that would be expected from North Coast. Has a great BBA look upon fisrt pour. Tons of vanilla bourbon and char in the aroma with some chocolate present. Taste is much of the same with plenty of great taste and is probably one of the best barrel aged stouts on the market besides BCBS!

4.69/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into snifter; pours like coffee, black in the glass with a massive creamy tan head that fades very slowly.
Smells great; dark, lightly metallic coffee/chocolate malt bitterness with a well-balanced dose of bourbon, vanilla, toffee, and oak.
Tastes awesome...huge coffee and chocolate, with a nice bourbon flavor with oak and vanilla. Finishes long, dark and bitter with coffee lingering forever.
Mouthfeel is deceptively light, well-carbonated so it's fluffy like a quad. Well-done.
Overall, this is a delicious beer and I can't wait to crack the second one I'm aging for a few years.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

From notes on 2/14/14

Dark heavy looking body. Decent head for an imperial stout. Kind of a rum aroma. Sweet, caramel smell. Really delicious. Very very smooth for 11.5%. Dark chocolate cocoa flavors. I’m impressed with this. Yum yum. Great end to Valentines dinner.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured a murky black into a tumbler, minimal head (as expected) but clinging to the side like a milkshake. A slight smell of bourbon-chocolate filled the room when I popped the cork but as I sneak up on the glass, I am surprised on what a smooth chocolate-vanilla scent it has. It's not boozy, I never really thought of the smell of a beer being balanced but that is what I'm getting here. I enjoyed waiting for this beer to come to proper room temp :)

I would love to do this side by side with the more heralded BA stouts. This one strikes me as featuring the wood of the barrel more. The bourbon is there but seemingly subtle and balanced, the heat of the 11+ is also quite tame on the palette. The warmer this beer got the more pronounced the bourbon was. The mouthfeel is a tad light for my liking and a little bubbly, reminiscent of some Mikkeller BAs I've had. A very pleasant drink, an all nite sipper for me and I will buy again if I see it even with the steep price tag.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've been wanting to try this for a while and had seen it in San Francisco but was scared off by the price tag. Found it in Santa Fe and figured (correctly) that there'd be a limited amount in our state and bit the bullet.

I poured the beer into a snifter from the 16.9 oz. bottle. The beer produces a four-finger thick head that looks a dark khaki-color the way milk and coffee mix. The liquid is pitch black but still shows some light carbonation. The head persists for long after the pour, remaining chewy-looking and thick enough to support a cap. Lace is pegged all around the glass thick and frothy. I like what I'm seeing.

I'm hit with a lot of oak on the nose and a vinous aroma, I'd almost think this had been aged in wine barrels. A second whiff gives me strong notes of dark chocolate. Another whiff and I've discovered the spicy bourbon aroma with hints of vanilla and caramel. I like what I'm finding on the nose here.

I do get some alcohol astringency on this, but that's too be expected for a beer that most would probably age. My mouth is tasting a lot of baker's chocolate and this flavor lingers on my tongue. The front end of the beer is where I get the bourbon notes, particularly a rich vanilla flavor that hits the mouth creamy and thick (pause!). There's also oaky and spicy notes about mid-palate. Just looking at my notes, I could sum this up by saying there's a lot going on here and it's all good.

Despite the slight astringency I mentioned, this beer is exceptionally creamy and smooth. There is touch of carbonation felt on the tongue, plus some spice, but this mostly goes down easy.

I know I mentioned the price and this beer is expensive, but compared to other beers I've spend in the $20+ range, this is a definitive standout. It's delicious, ready-to-drink immediately and thus doesn't require age to enjoy. I'm almost tempted to splurge and buy another to age. Or maybe two so I can drink another and age one. Damn good.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, having not been a fan of of regular old rasputin I was blown away by this barrel aged XVI.

Off the nose you get a mild char aroma with hints of malt sweetness.

The taste is that of a BCBS in a milder version with higher carbonation and lighter viscosity. The carbonation is sky high with a three finger head off the pour.

The micro bubbles fill your mouth off first sip, and last from start to finish. The carbonation never ends.

overall I have to say this is a hell of a beer, I look forward to cellaring and aging one.

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Been saving this for a special occasion. I would say that the birth of my first child more than suffices!

500 ml bottle poured into glass.

Appearance: Pours with a nice, big, frothy khaki-colored head that leads to a very dark - almost pitch black - coffee colored liquid. Decent amount of bubbles in the beer that just sit along the side of the glass. This head is one of the most intriguing that I've ever seen - it's got big bubbles on the top that turn into really small and compact ones just above the beer. The head leaves a beautiful lacing along the side of the glass as it dies down. Just beautiful.

Smell: Oh my goodness. Coffee? Check. Chocolate? Check. Bourbon? Check! This is right up there with BCBS and its varietals such as coffee stout in terms of just sheer ecstasy from the smell. It's like when Bruce Willis was dead at the end of Sixth Sense good.

Taste: VERY boozy. That said, it still allows notes of chocolate, coffee, vanilla and even a little oak to blaze through. This isn't a taste for the weak of palette. This is very much an in-your-face beer that cuts right to the point of its boozy core. It keeps opening up and balancing out with the chocolate/coffee/vanilla notes as I let it sit.

Mouthfeel: Coffee and bourbon notes linger, but it's surprisingly lighter-bodied that I would have expected from a stout.

Overall: Ok, I think I need to find a way to get TWO of these bad boys next year so I can age one and have one at some point in the year. Very glad I saved this one for such a special occasion!

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

# 500! Yay!
Poured into a snifter

A: Black with a tan, one finger head that lingers. Thick, curtainy lacing.

S: Bourbon and chocolate dominate with a light vanilla and oak backbeat.

T: Knocked my socks off. Blended bourbon and chocolate. Leather, anise, oak and vanilla. Plus a bit of espresso. Just divine.

M: Medium with frothy carbonation.

O: I have entered heavens gates. This is one if the best stouts I've ever had the privilege of enjoying. A bit pricy, but definitely for special occasions (or a holiday weekend with friends). Takes the taste of regular Old Raspy and whisks it into the taste bud orgasm zone. Will seek out in the future.

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: In my Libbey stout glass, it pours a robust two-finger head, even with a tipped pour. Lacing coats the glass in a thick deluge of foamy cream.

S: Pure decadence--bourbon, chocolate, vanilla extract, slight alcohol singe, and dank malt.

T: The alcohol is readily apparent here, both in the upfront flavor and the aftertaste. Vanilla sweetness comes through with a balanced bourbon note, toasty and warm. Aftertaste has a major roasted coffee profile. Upon warming, the smoother flavors come forward the alcohol singe subsides a bit.

M: Full-bodied and rich, this has a slight effervescence that trails off smooth and thick.

O: Perhaps my memory serves me none too well, but I remember liking XV better this time last year. Still, this is an excellent brew, a worthy exemplar of what BBA beers should bring to the table.

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle at 40 degrees into tulip
Aroma of bourbon
Head small (<2 cm), light brown, creamy, diminishing to 2 mm ring and partial layer
Lacing none
Body dark brown/black, opaque
Flavor of bourbon, marked vanillin, some chocolate and coffee overtones; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium to full, creamy, soft carbonation

Appearance 4.25, Aroma 4.5, Flavor 4.5, Palate 4.25, Overall 4.375

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%

500 mL bottle courtesy of uvm2003 pours an opaque black with a dense and creamy brown head that lingers on and on. The complete curtain of lacing is fantastic as well. Pretty much a perfect looking beer.

Nose is chocolate (of course), marshmallows, wood char and blackberries. And roast, cant forget about the roast. Runs the gamut of various stout aromas one typically encounters.

I like how both the barrel character and the stout character both are very strong without one overpowering the other. Dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans and wood shavings all come to mind. It still has some of that signature hoppiness that I get in the OG Rasputin too. It is superior to Old Rasputin...though my ratings wont compare as such - the stout game has changed tremendously since 2008. The barrel aging has mellowed it out considerably and given it more pop. Too bad it is so expensive, but nice for a treat every now and again.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Oily black, opaque, glorious.

S: Coffee and smokey sweet malt.

T: Smooth, carmel roasted malt, bourbon taste is mellow.

M: Slippery feel with a warm alcohol finish.

This is an amazing beer. Definitely worth a repeat!

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500ml caged and corked, solid-ass bottle. Thanks are again in order to the good doktorzee for procuring this one for me on a recent trip stateside. Cheers, man!

This beer pours a solid, abyssal black, with the slightest of basal cola highlights, and four chubby fingers of puffy, densely foamy, rocky, and creamy tan head, which leaves some stellar random continental profile lace around the glass as things slowly sink away.

It smells of somewhat acrid bourbon barrel - alcohol-soaked wood staves, dry vanilla, semi-sweet caramel, and a bit of grainy spice - bittersweet cocoa powder, singed marshmallows, anise, a faint lactic creaminess, and an underlying roasted grainy caramel malt. The taste falls pretty much right in line, as the aggressive barrel characters continue to lead the charge - vanilla, besotted wood, thin caramel - all the while a bit more prominent base of roasted bready caramel malt pushes to the forefront, the gritty milk chocolate holding steady, the licorice maintaining its stale department store nature, alongside a rather genial plum and raisin fruitiness, a touch of tobacco ash, and faint earthy, weedy hops.

The carbonation is moderate, and mostly frothy in its bearing, the body a decent medium-full weight, and quite smooth, with a strong creaminess building as it warms. It finishes on the sweet side, the bourbon pretty much having infiltrated the whole of this offering, and with the wooden acridity now taking its seat in the shade, the chocolate/vanilla/caramel triumvirate proceeds to run, if not quite amok, then at least a wee bit wild.

A long-time want, from both a personal and professional perspective, this offering certainly delivers, firing on all proverbial cylinders. Big, beefy, Bourbony, boozy, and balanced, bro (today's review obviously brought to you by the letter 'b')! Worthy of checking out, and savouring, should the chance ever avail itself to you.

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500 ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours black with a mocha colored heard, head is creamy, not much head retention, looks a little thin for an imperial stout, no carbonation.

A: Slight bourbon aroma, roasted malts, chocolate, alcohol is very noticeable even after two years in the cellar. Still picking up some vanilla, toasted coconut, and chocolate.

T: Slight bourbon flavor, dark fruits like raisins, plum, figs, some chocolate, alcohol comes through fairly strong, still has a nice complexity of a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout.

M: It has a chalky, powder like dry mouthfeel, I don't remember that when I first had this fresh.

This is a review of a two-year old bottle, not sure if it has aged for better as I think the mouthfeel has faded but it still has great flavors, I'm surprised that the alcohol is still noticeable.

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Black with a thin retaining head.

Smell is bourbon and vanilla extract.

The roasted and chocolate malts are in the details as the bourbon barrel doesn't take a backseat. A big, rich stout where the alcohol gives a licorice and caramel body (anise maybe?). My complaint is the ash-like finish. As the other reviews noted, no bells or whistles, it's a pure example of the style.

Dense body, light carbonation as the style should be.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Barrel aged Old Rasputin XVI
North Coast Brewing
Russian Imperial Stout

11.3% ABV

APPEARANCE: Out of the bottle it appears to be a dark chocolate brown, once in the glass it settles to a deep rich black. Nice billowy tan head with great retention.

AROMA: Starts off like a melted Hershey bar with a touch of roasted marshmallows. That bourbon flavor comes crashing in bringing with it oak, vanilla, and ends with a smack of heat from the alcohol. Hits almost a little to hard.

MOUTHFEEL: This is where I separate a great BA stout from an amazing BA stout. It falls a little thin here on the body. Decent carbonation that has a nice prickly feel on the tongue.

OVERALL: Very great stout, the bourbon booziness gets a little overwhelming and the thin body are the only downfalls for me. Well that and the $20+ price tag. Glad I got to have this and overall it is a solid outing from North Coast brewing.

RATING: 4.2/5 Zombie heads!

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from 500 ml bottle into wide mouth pint glass. Was a dark black/brown with transparency near the edges. Foamy head about 3/4 of inch on the pour, dissipating after a couple minutes. Nose was pretty subdued, with dark chocolate and a touch of bourbon and charred oak. Taste was very balanced with dark chocolate up front, a hint of milk/cream, and some sweetness and bourbon and alcohol heat on the finish. The taste was pretty consistent as it warmed. The mouthfeel was quite creamy, and very substantial allowing the taste to linger. This was a very good, if not great beer. I am not sure it delivered on the value for the money, but I am glad I tried it.

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is jet black in color. It poured with a quarter finger high tan head that gradually died down, leaving a patch of bubbles in the center, a collar around the edge, and lacing on the surface in between.
S: Moderate to strong aromas of bourbon and associated vanilla are present in the nose.
T: Just like the smell, the taste of this beer is all about the bourbon and has lots of associated vanilla. The bourbon is strong, but not overpowering. The alcohol is also well masked and the only bits I can pick up are from the bourbon.
M: It feels medium- to full-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. Slight amounts of warming from the alcohol are present, but these are only present in the finish.
O: This beer is quite drinkable considering its strength and packs in a lot of bourbon flavors without being overpowering. Thanks to @smithj4, I tried this side-by-side with a small bottle of regular Old Rasputin as a comparison. The bourbon barrel version really masks any traces of the roasted malts and pine resin hops that you get in the regular version.

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours an oily black with a tan/brown head with moderate retention.
Nose is distinctly bourbon with just a hint of cocoa.
At the very start, there is a hint of cocoa and flavors familiar to drinkers of regular Old Rasputin. These are quickly overcome by a clear, strong, but slightly sweet bourbon taste, which is actually not too boozy. It finishes pretty smooth with a bit of a boozy note.
First of all, I really enjoyed this. The bourbon really changes the character of the beer and has a very different effect on the palate. It really doesn't taste as strong as it is (at 11.3%). I would definitely recommend this to fans of Old Rasputin (though it's fairly different as I mentioned) and anyone who likes barrel aged beers. It may be a bit strong for the casual beer drinker but if you have a taste for bourbon, maybe not.

Great beer from a great brewery.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

APPEARANCE: Holding this beer up to the light is an impressive thing. Absolutely zero light gets through, it is dark as midnight. Perfectly black. The head is a good two fingers thick to start and settles into a one-finger thick layer of off-white, organic egg-shell colored bubbles. Cathedral lacing covers the whole back side of the glass.

SMELL: Chocolate covered cherries are the first thing that comes to mind when I stick my nose into the glass. There is a hint of citrus underneath and just the slightest touch of roasty malt underneath it all.

TASTE: The chocolate covered cherries still come through big time, however, the bourbon characteristics really come through on the first sip; oak first, then hints of vanilla. This is not nearly as hot as the XV version. A vein of raisin runs through the heart of the sip with roasty malt notes on the edges.

MOUTHFEEL: There is a fair amount of carbonation in this beer for an Imperial Stout and I like it a lot. It’s amazing considering this was barrel aged as well. The body, of course, is very big yet surprisingly dry.

OVERALL: The fruit flavors in this beer are far more intense than I expected. Mostly dark fruits and the vanilla and oak are muted, compared to the previous release. This seems to be a better put together beer as a whole than in the past. The barrel emphasizes flavors, but is certainly not used as a crutch. Well done.

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Draft pour
Black body with a thin covering of brown head that sticks around for a while.
Chocolate, caramel, wood and bourbon aroma.
Chocolate, caramel, dark fruit, and bourbon. It's a little warm. Imparts some good bourbon flavor.
Medium carbonation which was more than expected. Full medium body.

4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: pours translucent brown, but ends up pitch black in the glass; two fingers of mocha head slims into a thin collar as the drink gets drank...

S: dark malt aromas of chocolate and coffee beans weave into the woodsy aromas of bourbon barrel oak and whiskey

T: espresso beans and coffee with milk, cocoa and burnt wood; oak, whiskey, char, chocolate and vanilla; earthy, herbal; some slightly medicinal and astringent moments

M: thinner than many Russian Imperials, smooth and tight at the same time; plenty of dry oak and bourbon whiskey vapors; drying finish

O: my second sampling in the series; an elegant drinking experience, strong with whiskey woods and chocolate malts, finer impressions of vanilla and char; the mouthfeel was a little light for me and the cost a little high, but if you can afford it, not a bottle to be ignored on the shelf.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Old Rasputin XVI Barrel Aged Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.