Wintertime Ale - North Coast Brewing Co.

Wintertime AleWintertime Ale

good

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Winter Warmer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-11-2001)
3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

Dark bronze color. Ivory colored head with good retention and a few lace spots.

Spicy, malty, nutty aroma.

Mildly roasted malt character suggesting almonds and toast. Hint of caramel. Subtle nutmeg spice. Herbal hop. Well balanced.

Medium bodied. Sharp carbonation. Smooth feel and dry finish.

Good winter ale. I like how the spices are not overpowered.

bnes09, Jan 03, 2014
3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Found in the "close-out" section of a local wine-n-beer store for $0.99. Why not? (Note: This beer wasn't listed on their website)

Presentation: 12oz amber bottle with quite the "Christmasy" label...snowflakes and all. No info as to sell by/consume by.

Appearance: A lovely hazy amber color with a tight tannish-colored head. Lace at first seems hardy and persistant, but ran out of gas towards the end.

Smell: It certainly smelled like what I thought a barley wine should be. Lots of complex aromas floating around: Dark fruits, caramel, spices. Perhaps a hint of things to come for the palate?

Taste: This beer took a nose-dive for me here. It really didn't do anything for me. Flavor was rather flat and unappealing. As if there wasn't enough "oomph" to make it stand out. It's complex, with a rather dry and almost bittering effect at the end. No alcohol-induced "warming effect" at all.

Mouthfeel: Not nearly as creamy and full-bodied as I'd expected. Thin.

Drinkability: Nothing I would save for a cold winter's night. Pretty light in terms of drinkabilty. Nothing too heavy on the stomach or palate with this one. I'll buy some more Ol' Rasputin from NCBC and enjoy it.

OldFrothingSlosh, Jun 10, 2003
3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

jsurfs82, Nov 11, 2012

tastymug, Dec 28, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +19.2%

I enjoyed this seasonal and I got more than I was expecting from it. I found it poured a nice clear red-amber with a slight off-white head that maintained ok. The aroma is of a spicey hop. The taste was well balanced I thought of malt, spice, grain & hop. Not overpowering in one area over another. While not to be overlooked is a slight alcohol warmth to the mouth/chest. A very nice Wintertime brew.

chilidog, Jan 12, 2003
3.99/5  rDev +12.7%

Been curious about this since I saw it for the first time a few months ago, pulled the trigger on a single. It was a big day for me.

A - Medium garnet body, quite clear, a big tan head with good staying power.

S - Heavy on caramel and dark fruits. This is English Barleywine territory. Malt forward, maybe fruitcake? A little one-dimensional, but nice job.

T - Surprisingly bitter, but its got a nice deeply roasted malt character as well. An interesting malt dimension and hop pairing. It's pretty complex. This is nice. A little weird, but nice.

M - drying, full-bodied.

O - this beer is kind of strange, it seems to span several styles (winter warmer, english barleywine, amber ale) and its flavor profile is not really traditional as far as I can tell, but i think it's interesting and good.

ColdPoncho, Feb 14, 2013
3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

I'm way behind the curve on this one, I was worried about it's freshness, but it seems to have kept ok. It just isn't that flavorful of a beer. Medium clear brown color, with a nice fluffy tan head that leaves like it's 10 minutes late to work. Maybe be some floral, and cinnamon spiceyness to the nose, or I could have just wished it there. Not alot of smells, flavors, and richness I expected. Some decent carmel malt flavors, some faintly expressive hops, but the flavors never really got it together. I can see where others thought it was a wheat beer, with the grainy finish, but it's much to thin for that. I had several Samuel Smith Winter's Welcome's last winter, they were much better. A dissapointment from North Coast, I expected so much more, the other beers I have had from them were great.

StevieW, Jun 08, 2002
4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

mikepcarney, Dec 14, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured a hazy burnt ruby with little head or lace. Smelled of vanilla, belgian candi sugar, and a caramel scent bordering on rum, as wiffs of alcohol were present. Taste was very thin and never comes together: caramel, figs, rummy notes, and a mild butter with a lactic-sour turn. Hops are tartly acidic, blending with a roastiness to create a coffee-noted finish, but not a tasty one. Had an unctious alcohol flavor at the end. A very thin beer that has these flavors but not greatly so.

The sour-ish hops, the day-old coffee finish, and alcohol drive me away, and the very thin mouthfeel doesn't help either.

nomad, Nov 22, 2003

BamfBacon, Sep 04, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +8.2%

The head was medium sized and ivory with fine-medium bubbles.The body was carbonated and slightly cloudy.The hue was amber and the lacing had a nice appearance on the sides of my glass.The nose was that of hops, clove and spice.The flavor was somewhat bitter and the mouthfeel was tingly, medium bodied and smooth.

hotstuff, Aug 05, 2003
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

alelover, Mar 16, 2013
3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer poured to a crisp warm-brown color with lots of carbonation. Its smell is very mild but nice. The head is thin but has good retention. Its flavor is a little bit plain, but still nice. The hops are very subtle and linger ever so lightly in the aftertaste.

This stuff is pretty drinkable for what it is.

watermelonman, Feb 28, 2004
3.38/5  rDev -4.5%

I love North Coast beer and I was excited to try this on a dark winter night watching T.V. with Suzanne. I was a bit let down when I discoverd this was a spiced beer. I was expecting a malty strong ale or even a barley wine style. Appearance was a attractive deep clear amber, a nice head lasted and left intricate lacing. Aroma was of spice which as I mentioned above was a letdown. Taste was spice accented, clove mainly I would think. Solid mouthfeel. Drinkability only so so for me, but spice lovers should take to this beer.

Mark, Feb 11, 2003
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

This is the second bottle, the first was usurpted by my brother-in-law. Lovely label on a 12oz bottle. Pours a muted but ruddy straw color with almost no head. Aroma is of british style malt. Rusty and fruity. The yeast breadifies the flavor, and its nice. There's not much hop derived flavors though.

Its an average winter ale, though I expected something more from North Coast.

freed, Dec 18, 2003

nitter, Dec 25, 2013

beerme626, Jan 24, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

rcjennings, Dec 02, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Is everybody clued in to North Coast yet? You all should know 'em by now, as the brewers of Old Rasputin and Old Stock Ale (a fine interpretation of a Russian Imperial Stout and an excellent 11% sipper respectively) I'd gather we all know what they're capable of and respect their approach to bigger styles. Locally, the first time Wintertime hit the shelves it was apparent that beer geeks were expecting a massive holiday offering from North Coast - perhaps a barleywine ala Old Stock or even a beefed-up version of Pranquster. But no, North Coast threw
a curve ball and everyone seemed to miss the pitch: this beer
was fresh and showed plenty of legs for aging. Stylistically it's only a nose away from a wee heavy, but as a winter warmer / old ale it works, too. Yet it sat at a relatively high price-point and didn't catch on at all, sales wise, so we had a beer that didn't seem "ready" to drink a year ago, with plenty of stashes around town, but after a year it tasted fantastic! Closer to a Belgian Dubbel style after a year, and a better buy for the money than most of the imports. Definitely worth picking up a sixer when you have a chance.

Chaz, Jan 08, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -6.8%

2003 version served lightly chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear brown colored liquid with a frothy cream colored head. The head dissipates to a small layer of foam after awhile and leaves some impressive lacing for the style.

Smell: Raisin, prune, and maple aromas dominate the nose. Medicinal and piney hop smells are present. A decent sniffer, but I've seen much better.

Taste: A sharp, sweet, and smoky malt flavor that quickly gives way to... um... a nice gap of not much. Then the hops and spices (nutmeg, mostly) realize they're supposed to be on the job (must be a union shop :P ) and do a half-assed job. Faint coffee notes on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium heavy in body with nice aftertastes. Mildly puckering and astringent.

Drinkability: An entry level strong/old ale. I'll let the rest of the 6-er age a bit before I crack 'em open. Still, not a bad beer at all. Would go great with turkey, I'll wager

ManekiNeko, Oct 24, 2003
3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

Slightly murky ruby, caramel color. A little white head formed on pour, but it quickly disappeared and only left a ring around the glass with barely anything else. No head retention and a murky body...ehh...

Raw, candy sugar and slightly darker caramel aroma runs the show. I initially thought this was loaded with alcohol, but that subdued after a while although it is still there during certain wiffs. Kind of reminds me a bit of a cheap whiskey. Has a bit of tobacco and vanilla in this too.

Luckily the body doesn't show the same alcohol character that I thought I detected initially. This one is quite malty with hints of biscuit and a lot of caramel malts. After the swallow nutty and some chocolate malts come out. Has a bit of nutmeg hint to the flavor and a touch of peat as well.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with relatively low carbonation levels. Coats the mouth okay, but the flavor doesn't linger for too long.

Drinkability is just so so really. Not much that really draws me to this one. The nose especially turns me off. I find that it lacks an overall cohesiveness. There is a lot going on in this, but its just all over the place.

blitz134, Mar 23, 2007
2.83/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a very clear amber/orange with a nice 2 finger off-white head. The smell reveals tangy burnt malt with hops and light spicing being slightly evident. The taste consists of a light butterscotch/diacetyl flavor with roasted malts and nutmeg blended with mild hops and still yet a tangy aftertaste. Although maybe meant to be complex, it is not due to poor balance. This beer is a rather strange brew. It is light bodied and finishes watery. This is a rather disappointing brew from North Coast Brewing. Once again, I appreciate Pegasus providing me with a variety of brews to sample. Cheers!

BeerAngel, Jan 10, 2003

Pillowburn, Dec 05, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +4%

Tan head. Copper colored beer.
Aroma of floral hops and toasty caramel malt. Bit earthy.

Toasty caramel malt backbone. Floral hops provide the balance. Bit earthy yet fruity.

Good body to the mouthfeel.
Good drinkability.
Overall, a solid winter seasonal. Thanks to OldFrothingSlosh for the bottle!

PhantomVodoo, May 02, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -1.7%

A- Pours a dark reddish amber with 1 finger off white head.

S- Roasty malt, toffee, nuts, and almost a hint of mint

T- Cinnamon up front, metallicy in a way. Toffee and dark malt.

M- A little dry, full, high carb.

Overall- Decent beer. Not outstanding, not offensive

BeerBuckeye, Nov 30, 2012
Wintertime Ale from North Coast Brewing Co.