Wintertime Ale - North Coast Brewing Co.

Wintertime AleWintertime Ale

good

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Winter Warmer |  ABV ?

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-11-2001

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

This is the second bottle, the first was usurpted by my brother-in-law. Lovely label on a 12oz bottle. Pours a muted but ruddy straw color with almost no head. Aroma is of british style malt. Rusty and fruity. The yeast breadifies the flavor, and its nice. There's not much hop derived flavors though.

Its an average winter ale, though I expected something more from North Coast. (383 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

2003 version served lightly chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear brown colored liquid with a frothy cream colored head. The head dissipates to a small layer of foam after awhile and leaves some impressive lacing for the style.

Smell: Raisin, prune, and maple aromas dominate the nose. Medicinal and piney hop smells are present. A decent sniffer, but I've seen much better.

Taste: A sharp, sweet, and smoky malt flavor that quickly gives way to... um... a nice gap of not much. Then the hops and spices (nutmeg, mostly) realize they're supposed to be on the job (must be a union shop :P ) and do a half-assed job. Faint coffee notes on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium heavy in body with nice aftertastes. Mildly puckering and astringent.

Drinkability: An entry level strong/old ale. I'll let the rest of the 6-er age a bit before I crack 'em open. Still, not a bad beer at all. Would go great with turkey, I'll wager (936 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

I think the abv is 5.3%. I don't usually drink this style, but I gave it a chance because of its low abv and seasonal novelty. It tilts to the malty side, though not over-the-top with spices. (191 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -13%

Slightly murky ruby, caramel color. A little white head formed on pour, but it quickly disappeared and only left a ring around the glass with barely anything else. No head retention and a murky body...ehh...

Raw, candy sugar and slightly darker caramel aroma runs the show. I initially thought this was loaded with alcohol, but that subdued after a while although it is still there during certain wiffs. Kind of reminds me a bit of a cheap whiskey. Has a bit of tobacco and vanilla in this too.

Luckily the body doesn't show the same alcohol character that I thought I detected initially. This one is quite malty with hints of biscuit and a lot of caramel malts. After the swallow nutty and some chocolate malts come out. Has a bit of nutmeg hint to the flavor and a touch of peat as well.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with relatively low carbonation levels. Coats the mouth okay, but the flavor doesn't linger for too long.

Drinkability is just so so really. Not much that really draws me to this one. The nose especially turns me off. I find that it lacks an overall cohesiveness. There is a lot going on in this, but its just all over the place. (1,158 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a very clear amber/orange with a nice 2 finger off-white head. The smell reveals tangy burnt malt with hops and light spicing being slightly evident. The taste consists of a light butterscotch/diacetyl flavor with roasted malts and nutmeg blended with mild hops and still yet a tangy aftertaste. Although maybe meant to be complex, it is not due to poor balance. This beer is a rather strange brew. It is light bodied and finishes watery. This is a rather disappointing brew from North Coast Brewing. Once again, I appreciate Pegasus providing me with a variety of brews to sample. Cheers! (595 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +4%

Tan head. Copper colored beer.
Aroma of floral hops and toasty caramel malt. Bit earthy.

Toasty caramel malt backbone. Floral hops provide the balance. Bit earthy yet fruity.

Good body to the mouthfeel.
Good drinkability.
Overall, a solid winter seasonal. Thanks to OldFrothingSlosh for the bottle! (309 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -1.7%

A- Pours a dark reddish amber with 1 finger off white head.

S- Roasty malt, toffee, nuts, and almost a hint of mint

T- Cinnamon up front, metallicy in a way. Toffee and dark malt.

M- A little dry, full, high carb.

Overall- Decent beer. Not outstanding, not offensive (270 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

Deep auburn with little head and a nose like a glass of Scotch.

Rather thin, a tea-like flavor with hints of cloves in the background. A buttery, yeasty flavor is present in the middle, but in the end the tea-like character wins out. OK, but there are more characterful winter ales out there that I would drink first. (321 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +12.7%

2002 edition. Cloudy amber with a small off-white head that thins quickly. Aroma of dried fruit and subtle spices, as well as some sweeter fruitiness and maltiness. A bit peaty as well. Maltiness is first, a bit grainy, but more wood-like and spicy. Nutty and fruity as well. Winter spices are definitely present. Slight hop character combined with the grain gives it a bit of crispness to balance out the sweetness. Unique, but very much in tune with the season. Medium-bodied and flavorful with complexity from the spices. Hops are more apparent in the finish. Very tasty, but it could get cloying after a while. I think I'll get more of this before the season is over. (671 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2003 version. I had this beer 3 years ago and it was wonderful. Rich, malty and flavorful. It slipped some last year and since they don't list it on their website, I called the brewery. Was told it was indeed a different recipe 3 years ago but was reformulated last year at a lower alcohol level to enter the North Carolina market. It was described to me as more of a Belgian Brown than a Strong Old Ale. That all being said...
It poured a light amber with a miniscule head that disappeared immediatly. Left ok lace. Aroma of sweet malt, raisins, prunes and a slight smokiness.
Tangy, sweet, smoky, almost peaty malt flavor. Very earthy. Not much of a hop presence and a bit of fruitiness and cocoa in the finish. Medium body, carbonation and a slight tartness make for a very drinkable beer.
I think a "session" winter beer would border on an oxymoron but nonetheless, if there is one this would be it. I was a little disappointed but still love NCB's beers. (963 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -37.3%

Poured a white frothy head that dissipated very quickly atop an orange-red brew, Aroma was a little dissapointing as there were very few fruity esters to detect, but a hint of coriander was very easy to identify. The taste is not like any strong ale i have ever had before as it is rather weak. Hop bitterness is present up front which segues into a maltiness that is both dry and a little sweet. Definite coriander flavor is a little strange and it kind of reminds me of aventinus doppelbock-weizen. Body is very light and this beer seems to have a low alcohol level for the style. Overall this beer is drinkable as long as it is on the discount rack and you have never tried it before. Once you have tasted this brew you might agree with me, or you might find this a refreshing take on the strong ale style. (809 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -19.2%

My first foray into seasonal brews. Unfortunayely, it wasn't winter when I drank this beer so I don't know if I truly received the intended Wintertme Ale experience.

Wintertime Ale poured a pretty, clear amber color which gave me great hope. The head was slight and died a qrelatively quick death.

A very sweet aroma that I think of when I say "malt." There are vague hints of amaretto and hazelnut.

I was a little disappointed with this beer. It was alright, not bad by any means, but not great. The taste is not strong, quite light without a robust or fulfilling body. There is a mild hoppiness that lingers momentarily as well as a slight taste of alcohol.

To tell you the truth, I had no idea what made this brew a "winter" brew. I can no more imagine drinking this in winter as I can during the summer. A good beer but I can't imagine waiting with baited breath for next winter's edition. (905 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +10.7%

Hey BA's--A week or two ago someone posed us a question on the forum: something to the affect: have you heard of Northcoast Festivus Maximus? I followed the thread for a day or two and no one knew what it was. Well, at Central Market tonight I found some--it's Northcoast's annual Winter Time beer. The website still has no mention of it. I'm drinking it now and it's Belgian in style, like it always is. It's the color of Sam Adams Boston Lager, with a slightly more beige head, which isn't interested in hanging around for long. It's got a nose of spicing: maybe nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon? I'm not real good at identifying spice since I try to avoid spiced beer, but I've got some now. It might also have either coriander or bitter orange peel (if not both) as it reminds me a little of the celery-like flavor I always think Belgian Wits exhibit. It doesn't taste or feel too terribly strong: maybe 7.5%? The finish is quite long and reminiscent of cocoa butter suntan lotion. Since I don’t like spiced beer, I’m not an accurate judge of its merits. I’ve tried to be objective, but I can’t guarantee it… (1,126 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -1.7%

Nice looking beer, thousands of tiny sediment particles suspended in the deep amber liquid. I read a few other reviews and was surprised that none of them even mentioned what I thought was the predominant character of this beer- smoked malt. Also has a bready-slightly sweet caramel touch to it. Mouthfeel is nice, very smooth feel, but not as smooth taste. It comes off a little rich to be considered a very drinkable ale, however I think it would go nice with some nice meats and cheeses. (490 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours amber with orage highlight. Medium head, mine had no lace. The nose is quite strong of peanut caramel malt. Taste is quite different. The malt predominates, but there is a definite bitter character with a hop that sneaks in on the pallete. The flavor is ended abruptly, and a mild bitter aftertaste remainas, Seems like there is just something missing here. Nice bubbly texture. I appreciate the carbonation, but it seems watered down. Overall, not something I will really look forward to in the future. (509 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a reddish copper brown with a nice head that fades into a thin layer. The aroma smacks of sweet malt with something else going on that I can't identify. Seems like it wants to be sweet but dries up quickly. Mouthfeel is pretty watery with some stinging carbonation. I really thought it would be a little more smooth and creamy. Flavor is of malt and some spice with noticeable hop bitterness at the end. Frankly, I am a little disappointed with this brew as it is somewhat thin and not remarkably complex. It's ok, but I expected more from North Coast. (565 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours cloudy reddish brown with minimal head but decent amount of carbonation. Buttermilk, brown sugar, malt on the nose. Slightly viscous mouth feel, little carbonation, fairly watery. Malt up front, very little on back end aside from more malt, a very little hop presence once several drinks have left a little residue on the tongue. Nothing offensive but hardly worth seeking out. NC seems to do best when they’re dealing with high ABV brews. (446 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Wintertime Ale from North Coast Brewing Co.