Wintertime Ale - North Coast Brewing Co.

Wintertime AleWintertime Ale

good

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Winter Warmer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-11-2001)

OHBridgeGuy, Dec 07, 2013

Brams17, Sep 19, 2014

rhays30075, Dec 17, 2012

Pillowburn, Dec 05, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Undated 12 oz bottle served in a snifter.
Pour is medium red-brown, clear, with a tan head that soon settles to a partial coat but continues to leave a nice coat of lacing on the glass with each tilt.
Feel: near medium body seems too thin. Medium+ carbonation seems a bit too high.
Initially appealing aroma declined with warming. Surprisingly, some similarity to a Belgian dubbel but not the same. Rather nutty for one thing. More hops too.

O: a bit too weak and too thin for a Winter warmer.

chinchill, Sep 03, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -1.7%

A- Pours a dark reddish amber with 1 finger off white head.

S- Roasty malt, toffee, nuts, and almost a hint of mint

T- Cinnamon up front, metallicy in a way. Toffee and dark malt.

M- A little dry, full, high carb.

Overall- Decent beer. Not outstanding, not offensive

BeerBuckeye, Nov 30, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2003 version. I had this beer 3 years ago and it was wonderful. Rich, malty and flavorful. It slipped some last year and since they don't list it on their website, I called the brewery. Was told it was indeed a different recipe 3 years ago but was reformulated last year at a lower alcohol level to enter the North Carolina market. It was described to me as more of a Belgian Brown than a Strong Old Ale. That all being said...
It poured a light amber with a miniscule head that disappeared immediatly. Left ok lace. Aroma of sweet malt, raisins, prunes and a slight smokiness.
Tangy, sweet, smoky, almost peaty malt flavor. Very earthy. Not much of a hop presence and a bit of fruitiness and cocoa in the finish. Medium body, carbonation and a slight tartness make for a very drinkable beer.
I think a "session" winter beer would border on an oxymoron but nonetheless, if there is one this would be it. I was a little disappointed but still love NCB's beers.

rkhaze, Nov 09, 2003

Re-rate 7/15/03

Still think it hasa wheatbock flavor...this is better than I remember though....spicy nose....very inviting....malty flavor with good spiciness....pretty tasty...just not real thick..not bad at all bt many better...bumped up drinkability, mouthfeel and taste .5 and nose 1.0...

I agree with the first two opinions..I expect more out of a old ale...I might be nuts but this tastes like a wheat beer to me. Not a full-fledged dark wheat, but more of an amber wheat...I tried to find some info on this but came up empty. I'd be curious to know if this is a wheat beer. It's not bad, but not my idea of a winter ale. I was very excited to try this, and my grand expectations were not met...still not a bad beer, but I certainly would never buy it in the future.

ZAP, Jul 16, 2003
3.48/5  rDev -1.7%

Nice looking beer, thousands of tiny sediment particles suspended in the deep amber liquid. I read a few other reviews and was surprised that none of them even mentioned what I thought was the predominant character of this beer- smoked malt. Also has a bready-slightly sweet caramel touch to it. Mouthfeel is nice, very smooth feel, but not as smooth taste. It comes off a little rich to be considered a very drinkable ale, however I think it would go nice with some nice meats and cheeses.

yeagerbm, May 04, 2004
3.45/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The pour is a nice dark ruby red, the head quite small, the lace adequate. Nose is citrus, malts, sweet, nutmeg maybe. Start is slightly sweet, the top is light, the finish has a penetrating acidity, with a pleasing hop bite and a long lasting dry aftertaste A decent beer, drinkable, and a pleasant enough distraction from the "Strong Belgian Ales", that I love.

Gusler, Nov 23, 2002
3.38/5  rDev -4.5%

I love North Coast beer and I was excited to try this on a dark winter night watching T.V. with Suzanne. I was a bit let down when I discoverd this was a spiced beer. I was expecting a malty strong ale or even a barley wine style. Appearance was a attractive deep clear amber, a nice head lasted and left intricate lacing. Aroma was of spice which as I mentioned above was a letdown. Taste was spice accented, clove mainly I would think. Solid mouthfeel. Drinkability only so so for me, but spice lovers should take to this beer.

Mark, Feb 11, 2003
3.38/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a clean orange-ish to amber color with a light tan head. In the aroma, spices, a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, and all spice. In the taste, big spices, but primarily nutmeg. A spice like bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry nutmeg, clove, and ginger in the aftertaste. Quite nice, but a bit too much spice for me.

OWSLEY069, Dec 31, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

I'm way behind the curve on this one, I was worried about it's freshness, but it seems to have kept ok. It just isn't that flavorful of a beer. Medium clear brown color, with a nice fluffy tan head that leaves like it's 10 minutes late to work. Maybe be some floral, and cinnamon spiceyness to the nose, or I could have just wished it there. Not alot of smells, flavors, and richness I expected. Some decent carmel malt flavors, some faintly expressive hops, but the flavors never really got it together. I can see where others thought it was a wheat beer, with the grainy finish, but it's much to thin for that. I had several Samuel Smith Winter's Welcome's last winter, they were much better. A dissapointment from North Coast, I expected so much more, the other beers I have had from them were great.

StevieW, Jun 08, 2002
3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

Pretty generic-looking bottle for a vague style – really, what is a winter ale? Maybe I’m just not up on the style.

A: Creamy, microbubbled head of beige over a burnt orange body; looks very fizzy, with bubbles constantly rising to support the thin retention. Small webs of lacing.

S: Aromas of malts dominate: moderately thick notes of toffee, almond, fruitcake, and wheat bread crust. Smells a bit metallic, too, like well water or English porter; it’s Old-Worldly, you might say, especially as it rounds out with an earthy peat aroma. No hops to be found.

T: Now this is a bready beer: primary tastes develop into yam, doughy roll, salted pretzel, and smooth, nutty oatmeal. It’s all a little sweet, too – I feel like I’m eating pumpkin bread, or a big slice of marble rye with butter, at least. It’s all pretty thick, but without any powerful flavors – where’s the warming of the winter warmer? Still, some hop flavors do persist in the form of some acidic herbal flavors mixed throughout, though just barely noticeable under the blanket effect of the malts. Finishes clean and a little tannic.

M: With a frothy, semi-thin texture, this one goes down pretty unenthusiastically. Feels less like a session ale and more like it’s missing something.

O: A little better than middle-of-the-road, but not by much. It does make me want to explore the winter warmer style a little more, though; it seems like it could pretty satisfying when done well.

BarryMFBurton, Dec 09, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -6.8%

2003 version served lightly chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear brown colored liquid with a frothy cream colored head. The head dissipates to a small layer of foam after awhile and leaves some impressive lacing for the style.

Smell: Raisin, prune, and maple aromas dominate the nose. Medicinal and piney hop smells are present. A decent sniffer, but I've seen much better.

Taste: A sharp, sweet, and smoky malt flavor that quickly gives way to... um... a nice gap of not much. Then the hops and spices (nutmeg, mostly) realize they're supposed to be on the job (must be a union shop :P ) and do a half-assed job. Faint coffee notes on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium heavy in body with nice aftertastes. Mildly puckering and astringent.

Drinkability: An entry level strong/old ale. I'll let the rest of the 6-er age a bit before I crack 'em open. Still, not a bad beer at all. Would go great with turkey, I'll wager

ManekiNeko, Oct 24, 2003
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

Deep auburn with little head and a nose like a glass of Scotch.

Rather thin, a tea-like flavor with hints of cloves in the background. A buttery, yeasty flavor is present in the middle, but in the end the tea-like character wins out. OK, but there are more characterful winter ales out there that I would drink first.

sponberg, Jan 02, 2003

alelover, Mar 16, 2013

MacStinson, Nov 08, 2013

Extrajoker00, Dec 07, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

This is the second bottle, the first was usurpted by my brother-in-law. Lovely label on a 12oz bottle. Pours a muted but ruddy straw color with almost no head. Aroma is of british style malt. Rusty and fruity. The yeast breadifies the flavor, and its nice. There's not much hop derived flavors though.

Its an average winter ale, though I expected something more from North Coast.

freed, Dec 18, 2003
Wintertime Ale from North Coast Brewing Co.