Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Wintertime Ale - North Coast Brewing Co.

Wintertime AleWintertime Ale

good

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Winter Warmer |  ABV ?

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-11-2001

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.41/5  rDev -3.7%

I love North Coast beer and I was excited to try this on a dark winter night watching T.V. with Suzanne. I was a bit let down when I discoverd this was a spiced beer. I was expecting a malty strong ale or even a barley wine style. Appearance was a attractive deep clear amber, a nice head lasted and left intricate lacing. Aroma was of spice which as I mentioned above was a letdown. Taste was spice accented, clove mainly I would think. Solid mouthfeel. Drinkability only so so for me, but spice lovers should take to this beer. (529 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +17.2%

This really grew on me as I drank it and as it warmed.
Malty, slightly sweet aroma with a slight roast quality. Little caramel and some phenol. Nice complexity. Pretty amber color (like an Marzen), clear large full head with good lacing.
Flavor not over powering with a slight hard water quality. Mostly malt, with good balancing with hops. Taste become richer and more satisfying as drink warmed. Pretty good ale smoothness with richness noted.
As this sat it became more flavorful, almost like it needed to breath (like a red wine). Seems like an ale version of a Marzen with similar malt make-up, but with nice ale smoothness. (633 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +18.1%

I enjoyed this seasonal and I got more than I was expecting from it. I found it poured a nice clear red-amber with a slight off-white head that maintained ok. The aroma is of a spicey hop. The taste was well balanced I thought of malt, spice, grain & hop. Not overpowering in one area over another. While not to be overlooked is a slight alcohol warmth to the mouth/chest. A very nice Wintertime brew. (401 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a very clear amber/orange with a nice 2 finger off-white head. The smell reveals tangy burnt malt with hops and light spicing being slightly evident. The taste consists of a light butterscotch/diacetyl flavor with roasted malts and nutmeg blended with mild hops and still yet a tangy aftertaste. Although maybe meant to be complex, it is not due to poor balance. This beer is a rather strange brew. It is light bodied and finishes watery. This is a rather disappointing brew from North Coast Brewing. Once again, I appreciate Pegasus providing me with a variety of brews to sample. Cheers! (595 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

Deep auburn with little head and a nose like a glass of Scotch.

Rather thin, a tea-like flavor with hints of cloves in the background. A buttery, yeasty flavor is present in the middle, but in the end the tea-like character wins out. OK, but there are more characterful winter ales out there that I would drink first. (321 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Flawlessly clear dark copper color with a large off-white cloud top head and lots of sticky broken lace and good retention. Cloves are quite prominent in the aroma, as well as nutmeg, dark fruits, and toasted malt. Taste begins with strong toasted malt flavor, alcohol, and some spiciness, although less than the aroma would suggest. Late in the taste spicy, mildly bitter but quite lingering hops make their presence known. The finish is dry; mouthfeel seems a bit watery for this style. (488 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +7.3%

The bottle gives no clue as to the style of the beer, and I spent most of my time trying to tag the character. Yeasty, spicy aroma wafts from the beer - Belgian? Dark Hefe? Very malty, at the start with the beer still quite chilly, caramel jumps up and takes charge of the flavor, but the finish lets in a bit of cereal for an end that that hints of Cracker Jacks popcorn and nuts. Once the beer warmed, a more phenolic aspect asserted itself and it seemed to switch nationality from Belgian to German with clove flavors from the yeast bubbling up. Not a great beer, but a good beer and a nice winter diversion. (611 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -14.1%

Clear umber brown color with a really fugitive head in the pint glass. Some spiciness to the aroma, a sense of nutmeg and estery clove. So far, so good...Flavor was woefully subdued and somewhat off for style. Watery malts, vague approach to a spicy cinnamon/caramel impression and some strange esters as well. Hops are apparent and peppery, more than I would expect. This does not qualify as an excellent Strong Ale to me. (423 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +12.7%

2002 edition. Cloudy amber with a small off-white head that thins quickly. Aroma of dried fruit and subtle spices, as well as some sweeter fruitiness and maltiness. A bit peaty as well. Maltiness is first, a bit grainy, but more wood-like and spicy. Nutty and fruity as well. Winter spices are definitely present. Slight hop character combined with the grain gives it a bit of crispness to balance out the sweetness. Unique, but very much in tune with the season. Medium-bodied and flavorful with complexity from the spices. Hops are more apparent in the finish. Very tasty, but it could get cloying after a while. I think I'll get more of this before the season is over. (671 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The pour is a nice dark ruby red, the head quite small, the lace adequate. Nose is citrus, malts, sweet, nutmeg maybe. Start is slightly sweet, the top is light, the finish has a penetrating acidity, with a pleasing hop bite and a long lasting dry aftertaste A decent beer, drinkable, and a pleasant enough distraction from the "Strong Belgian Ales", that I love. (363 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a reddish copper brown with a nice head that fades into a thin layer. The aroma smacks of sweet malt with something else going on that I can't identify. Seems like it wants to be sweet but dries up quickly. Mouthfeel is pretty watery with some stinging carbonation. I really thought it would be a little more smooth and creamy. Flavor is of malt and some spice with noticeable hop bitterness at the end. Frankly, I am a little disappointed with this brew as it is somewhat thin and not remarkably complex. It's ok, but I expected more from North Coast. (565 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +10.7%

Hey BA's--A week or two ago someone posed us a question on the forum: something to the affect: have you heard of Northcoast Festivus Maximus? I followed the thread for a day or two and no one knew what it was. Well, at Central Market tonight I found some--it's Northcoast's annual Winter Time beer. The website still has no mention of it. I'm drinking it now and it's Belgian in style, like it always is. It's the color of Sam Adams Boston Lager, with a slightly more beige head, which isn't interested in hanging around for long. It's got a nose of spicing: maybe nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon? I'm not real good at identifying spice since I try to avoid spiced beer, but I've got some now. It might also have either coriander or bitter orange peel (if not both) as it reminds me a little of the celery-like flavor I always think Belgian Wits exhibit. It doesn't taste or feel too terribly strong: maybe 7.5%? The finish is quite long and reminiscent of cocoa butter suntan lotion. Since I don’t like spiced beer, I’m not an accurate judge of its merits. I’ve tried to be objective, but I can’t guarantee it… (1,126 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +27.7%

Copper color with nice tan head that had some staying power. Sediment evident. Raisiney and light Belgian yeasty aroma. Light raisiney Belgian double malt character. Medium bodied, smooth, creamy (like velvet)...

Going out on a limb here but I think this beer was a really light Belgian double meaning you can drink more than one since the strength is not noticable.... very nice! (388 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -13.3%

Dark bronze / light ruby hue topped by a quickly receding ivory - white head that leaves a loose pattern. The aroma is an odd but enjoyable melange of tart fruity esters, buttersctoch, medium caramel malt and gints of raspberry. Subdued floral hop nose. The taste doesn't follow up on the aroma, unfortunately. A combination of hop bitterness and non - descript spice hits the palette upfront, and is followed by generic caramel malt sweetness and nutmeg spice. THe flavors fade abruptly & the finish is left a bit of the bland side. Perhaps I'm accustomed to more robust winter seasonals, but I found this this brew to be far too conservative and perhaps a bit weak in flavor. Decent, but lackluster. (708 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -5.9%

I'm way behind the curve on this one, I was worried about it's freshness, but it seems to have kept ok. It just isn't that flavorful of a beer. Medium clear brown color, with a nice fluffy tan head that leaves like it's 10 minutes late to work. Maybe be some floral, and cinnamon spiceyness to the nose, or I could have just wished it there. Not alot of smells, flavors, and richness I expected. Some decent carmel malt flavors, some faintly expressive hops, but the flavors never really got it together. I can see where others thought it was a wheat beer, with the grainy finish, but it's much to thin for that. I had several Samuel Smith Winter's Welcome's last winter, they were much better. A dissapointment from North Coast, I expected so much more, the other beers I have had from them were great. (804 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

ZAP has this one pegged. Seems like a wheat to be too. A pretty thin one at that.
Pours a bronze body with a solid looking head that runs away quickly, screaming something about being promised an Strong Ale.
Smells of clove and some whispers of smokiness. Not a good combination.
Taste consists of wheat-like clove and fruit esters, which is actually somewhat decent. Hops make a appearance, but nothing to brag about. Very little body. Thin and uninspired. Nothing about this says "winter" to me.
It is a brew that could be conceivably quaffed down, due to it's thinness, and not-horrible taste....but there are plenty of more appealing beers that can serve that role.
A let down from North Coast. (716 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -13.6%

Nice dark amber color, good light tan head with lace. But I'm a bit disappointed with this offering from North Coast, also the brewer of one of my all-time favorites and a beer absolutely bursting with flavor, Old Rasputin. This one is just light on flavor and nose. Not my first choice for a strong ale/winter warmer. (321 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Wintertime Ale from North Coast Brewing Co.