2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Old Plowshare Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Plowshare StoutOld Plowshare Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

American Stout |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: hyuga on 10-01-2005)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Plowshare Stout Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
Ratings: 182 | Reviews: 155 | Show All Ratings:
dadonabike

4.63/5  rDev +20.9%

A: A classic brown/black color as one would expect. Pour to one finger of foam that slowly recedes to an espresso like crème and fine sudsy lacing.

S: The scent is all about roasted and toasted grains w/ a touch of coffee & caramel malt.

T: This is a rich dry stout w/ a ton of roasted & chocolaty malts, not overbearing and acrid but nicely balanced. There are no big tannins and the hops are very mild; no florals to speak of and the bitters are just nicely balanced as in not too malty but not bitter either.

M: The mouthfeel is perfect for me as well not too thin and not syrupy. There is a nice fullness or well rounded quality to this beer with just the right amount of carbonation, I would love to have this on tap sometime.

D: In case it's not obvious I really like this beer! Very drinkable. I have e-mailed these folks to see if they could hook me up with a home brew recipe as I would love for this to be a base for my stout brews.

09-20-2008 02:07:32 | More by dadonabike
bpbieste

4.75/5  rDev +24%

Serving out of a bottle. Appearance of a very dark brown with a creamy head. Sweet Coffee and smooth chocolate. Smooth taste, very smooth confirming the aforementioned aromas. Mouthfeel has a balanced consistency, not too thin, not too thick. Drinkability: One of the best stouts I've ever tried. I will definitely be having this again in the future.

04-19-2010 00:44:38 | More by bpbieste
johnnydollar

South Carolina

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

This is the stout to drink after working in the yard. Light notes of chocolate and coffee, but a thin, fizzy mouthfeel. It may not be the type of beer that I crave often, but it is going down quickly now and it is refreshing. The roasted quality gives it a slight syrupy sweetness making it all the more easy to swallow. Why, I think I'll have another...

03-30-2007 02:30:11 | More by johnnydollar
agirlnamedjess

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev +7%

a- this stout pours a dark brown with an amber glow. creamy head that sticks to the glass
s-sweet creamy coffee smell, it actually smells just like chocolate milk
t-smooth black coffee and bitter chocolate
m-light carbonation
d-this is a really good light stout

03-28-2009 17:29:36 | More by agirlnamedjess
cep3959

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

I've been drinking Stouts all month without filing reviews, so my review may suffer from an unfair retrospective comparison.

Fills a Sam Adams "new" glass with a dark, reddish brown/amber color. Lighter than expected. Nice foamy head with decent retention. Some lacing.

Pleasant aroma. Reminds me of old fashion chocolate malt with some coffee undertones. I wound up smelling it more than sipping it.

Pleasant enough taste. Decent balance of malt and hops with a good roasted undertones. Some coffee and chocolate there. Too much carbonation for me (and I gave it a hard pour). Finishes thin and chocolaty like watered down chocolate soda. - with a nice bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin. Too thin for my liking. As noted, end of the glass is exceptionally thin, watery and too fizzy. Needs more richness to get it even a dry stout level.

Average overall, maybe below - but perhaps gets a few extra points because of the "organic" labeling. Wouldn't buy again unless the "green" friends demand organic beer and that's all the local had. But would drink again if handed to me.

10-27-2007 02:33:59 | More by cep3959
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
Old Plowshare Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.