Brother Thelonious - North Coast Brewing Co.

Brother TheloniousBrother Thelonious

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.40% ABV

"Vital Statistics

Style: Belgian Style Strong Dark
Color: Dark mahogany
ABV: 9.4%
Bitterness: 32 IBU's"

(Beer added by: sloejams on 05-04-2006)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:

The other night, we came over to Hearthstone Coffee House & Pub for a drink. We brought the list, as we wanted to see if they had any beers that were a part of 1001 Bottles. They did. One. We ended up drinking a Fat Tire. Boring, I know, but it is still on the list and I treated it like every other beer. Well, we liked drinking/writing here so much we came back when they got Brother Thelonious in. They have it on tap, but also landed a few bottles.

We got to talking, and before we left, Hearthstone became the second official sponsor of 1001 Bottles! We are excited to have them on board. They are RIGHT across the street from where we live, so it’s an easy place to get to. So if you live on the north side of Indianapolis, let us know… we will invite you the next time we drink at Hearthstone.

In the Glass: The beer is a dark brown, almost red. It’s also quite cloudy and has a certain thickness to it. When I swirl it around in my glass, I hope for a thick lace. Wrong. The lace is pretty much nonexistent. But that is what you tend to get in a good barleywine. We all know my recent obsession with barleywine.

Nose: It smells sweet, dark, and has a certain boozy smell to it. The beer is 9.3% ABV, so I guess I can expect that. But I keep comparing this to a barleywine. I hope it lives up to the hype!

Flavor: There is NO carbonation, and you would almost think this beer was flat. But when the beer dances across your tongue you are hit with intense flavors on the front and the back of the palate leading to a dry, somewhat sweet finish. It doesn’t taste like a barleywine at all, but has a certain mouthfeel like one. Speaking of the mouthfeel…

Mouthfeel: This beer starts and finishes oh so smooth. There is a lot of booze on the middle of the tongue, but I accept it with this big of an ABV. The beer definitely tastes better than it smells. That’s for sure. Let’s dig a little deeper into the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste sits in quick. There is a hint of sweet at first, then it quickly turns into a warm dryness that is sort of unexpected. As it sits there on the tongue, it doesn’t really dwindle. The boozy notes stick around, and the burp brings back the sweet/bitter flavors that the tongue loves as you drink.

This is a great beer that has a really cool history. A percentage of their profits apparently go to support jazz music. I mean, on the bottle it says they support jazz education. I like the logo too. The monk just looks so cool, calm, and collected. Oh, and the skull. Love the skull. This is a great beer. Bottoms up people!

Beer Name - The bottle says: “SUPPORTING JAZZ EDUCATION”

rickyleepotts, Mar 10, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance – This is a solid brown in color with a rather smallish head on a hard pour.

Smell – The deep, rich yeast is always my favorite and made up for the lack of a good appearance. It’s dark and doughy and dominates the nose.

Taste – The big malty yeast comes out in spades at the taste. It is very bready like undercooked toast. There’s a light yeasty sweetness as well.

Mouthfeel – This is big in the mouth but shy of full-bodied. The carbonation is light and tickling on the cheeks. It shows a light bitterness just at the very end as you’re walking away from the glass.

Drinkability – This is my kind of BSDA. It’s big but not gianormous, heavy on the yeast, and goes down smoothly.

RoyalT, Aug 04, 2006

aszatk01, Jun 28, 2012

t2grogan, Oct 06, 2014
3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

I settle down on the warmest afternoon of the year so far with one Brother, as I wait for my own to arrive from Boston. The note on the bottle couldn't be more fitting: "CARPE DIEM VITA BREVIS." Life is short, seize the day.

It pours a very hazy auburn brown with a finger of tan head that thins out, not quite covering the chalice. The bubbles are very fine and foamy. Lacing is sparse, but it gets extra points for having such a cool bottle and label.

Caramel is most prevalent in the aroma but it is complemented by fruity esters, raisin and prune. Some earthy, woody hops are involved. With warmth, buttery notes show up, and finally some booziness when you get to the dregs.

Raisin, prune and caramel again on the tongue, but in that order. It's a bit sour but not very bitter, and this eases up a little as you drink more of it, or have a bite of cheese (I'm having muenster). Earthy hops are there as well.

The hops add an abundant spiciness to the mouthfeel. It's very light-bodied for such a strong beer and the only thing really keeping me from chugging it down is the sourness. I'm not overly familiar with the style but I'm sure the sour characteristic was intended. The alcohol itself isn't very noticeable but there is a sharp acidity that can be a little overbearing. Overall pretty enjoyable.

boston2bburg, Apr 11, 2008

SuqMadique, Nov 18, 2012

Zakk, Jun 11, 2012

Tiernan, Apr 12, 2013

tbryan5, Jul 14, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -14%

BubalooBrewMaster, Dec 18, 2013

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine May 2007.

Brewed in homage to jazz master Thelonious Monk, a portion of the proceeds for each case sold goes towards education at the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz.

A hard pour yields a sizable head--and the thick collar of foam is a snap, crackle and pop away from nothing. Hazy, murky brown color is nearly opaque. Browned apple pulp, toasted grain husk and faint tropical fruit notes invade the nostrils. Slick mouthfeel with a medium body and semi-crisp carbonation. Brown malt to start: toasted and lightly roasted. Big twang of fermentation, fruit and tart with a metallic finish. Brown sugar sweetness flashes on the taste buds. Over-ripened tropical fruit, bread crust and a hint of black pepper in the middle. Beef stock? Finishes a bit toothy with a faded metallic flavor.

This Dubbel is just okay, nothing compared to some of its Belgian counterparts. On the other hand, if you dig jazz, grab a bottle or two--at least you know there's a good cause to get behind.

BeerAdvocate, Sep 27, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

sabitu, Jan 19, 2014

supa0525, Jul 16, 2013
4.12/5  rDev +9%

joel_bou, Oct 17, 2014

danthehopslamman, Aug 13, 2012

In a goblet the beer was a red/orange color with a very tiny head. Wisps of lace. Brown sugar and dark fruit aroma. Taste followed form: brown sugar, dates, raisins, apple. A little yeasty. Medium bodied and smooth. A bit on the filling side; one was plenty for me.

lordofthewiens, Nov 15, 2009

BuckeyeSlim, Apr 21, 2012

Beerswag, Feb 06, 2013

Jason, Apr 18, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +4%

Large bottle, caged and corked, picked up @ American Bev in BKLYN, NY, I didnt see any freshness indication. Helps support Jazz Music by brewery making a donation for every case purchased. Pours medium brown, cloudy minor tan head, with so so retention, and just a wisp of lacing left. Nose here is milk chocolate and some raisins. Notes of bananas, chocolate, sweet bready malts. A bit on the sweet side, might benefit from some time in the bottle, still tasty and enjoyable, I'm a bit suprised by the low marks for this one, as somebody else noted, this one will benefit from some time to warm up. I'd like to try it with a chocolate dssert.

Billolick, Jul 08, 2006
Brother Thelonious from North Coast Brewing Co.