Brother Thelonious - North Coast Brewing Co.

Brother TheloniousBrother Thelonious

Style: Belgian Style Strong Dark
Color: Dark mahogany
ABV: 9.4%
Bitterness: 32 IBU's"
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,615 | Reviews: 983

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

The other night, we came over to Hearthstone Coffee House & Pub for a drink. We brought the list, as we wanted to see if they had any beers that were a part of 1001 Bottles. They did. One. We ended up drinking a Fat Tire. Boring, I know, but it is still on the list and I treated it like every other beer. Well, we liked drinking/writing here so much we came back when they got Brother Thelonious in. They have it on tap, but also landed a few bottles.

We got to talking, and before we left, Hearthstone became the second official sponsor of 1001 Bottles! We are excited to have them on board. They are RIGHT across the street from where we live, so it’s an easy place to get to. So if you live on the north side of Indianapolis, let us know… we will invite you the next time we drink at Hearthstone.

In the Glass: The beer is a dark brown, almost red. It’s also quite cloudy and has a certain thickness to it. When I swirl it around in my glass, I hope for a thick lace. Wrong. The lace is pretty much nonexistent. But that is what you tend to get in a good barleywine. We all know my recent obsession with barleywine.

Nose: It smells sweet, dark, and has a certain boozy smell to it. The beer is 9.3% ABV, so I guess I can expect that. But I keep comparing this to a barleywine. I hope it lives up to the hype!

Flavor: There is NO carbonation, and you would almost think this beer was flat. But when the beer dances across your tongue you are hit with intense flavors on the front and the back of the palate leading to a dry, somewhat sweet finish. It doesn’t taste like a barleywine at all, but has a certain mouthfeel like one. Speaking of the mouthfeel…

Mouthfeel: This beer starts and finishes oh so smooth. There is a lot of booze on the middle of the tongue, but I accept it with this big of an ABV. The beer definitely tastes better than it smells. That’s for sure. Let’s dig a little deeper into the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste sits in quick. There is a hint of sweet at first, then it quickly turns into a warm dryness that is sort of unexpected. As it sits there on the tongue, it doesn’t really dwindle. The boozy notes stick around, and the burp brings back the sweet/bitter flavors that the tongue loves as you drink.

This is a great beer that has a really cool history. A percentage of their profits apparently go to support jazz music. I mean, on the bottle it says they support jazz education. I like the logo too. The monk just looks so cool, calm, and collected. Oh, and the skull. Love the skull. This is a great beer. Bottoms up people!

Beer Name - The bottle says: “SUPPORTING JAZZ EDUCATION”

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

This beer claims to be a "Belgian style abbey ale." I'll let you determine whether that means anything.
It's got an almost ruby amber hue with a head that is unsatisfyingly thin.
Smell has some alcohol to it with some juniper berry, spice, cardamom...
Taste is definitely malty with a fair deal of toasted sweetness. It gets better as it opens up and settles.
The same goes for mouthfeel. The first few sips are too bubbly but it then quiets down. There's a slight treacly residue but this is definitely a beer that gets better as it goes along.

2.53/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought this a few weeks ago and finally got around to trying it,

A- Almost a cherry coke color with minimal head and lots of fizzle

S- Barely noticeable distinctions. A sweetness and nutty notes is overtaken by fruity raisin taste embezzled in there somewhere

T / MF- A bit of a disappointment. I do have to say I was a sucker for the label, but the sourness and sweetness were not a good concoction in my mouth. Be ready for the high carbonation!

O- It was worth a shot, but I don't think I will be buying this one again

2.61/5  rDev -31.1%

A - Big tan thick bubbly head. Very carbonated. No lacing to speak of... Brew is the color of figs.

S - Unadventurous scent. Missing a lot of Belgian influences... Very clovey and spiced. There's something hidden in the background too, it's not working.

T/M - To start this brew is WAY over carbonated... There's some funky flavors going on too, causing a rubber taste upon the finish. The spice in not nearly Belgian enough, and the yeast doesn't do anything for the brew. Heat is well hidden, but the body is much too thin for consideration of style. Very dry for an abbey...

O - A well miss on style. This brew is mildly sessionable (except for the ABV) and drinks (somewhat) well. But there is some weird scents and off flavors that draw you away. Not recommended.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

meh. It's okay. In the same category as Chimay blue, my fave beer - bar is set high.

Sweet. Loses carbonation quickly. No head retention. Not bad, but not a Chimay, and any random DFH is better.

Purchased at a beer store when out of town ... store with better selection than when at home, so I went a little crazy since they were using shelf liners from another site. (RB) See that this beer is rated 97 there, 80 on BA - a lesson in taking time and rating beers correctly before I buy. :-|

3.6/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served from a 25.4oz corked bottle into a Spiegelau tulip.

A: Pours a deep purplish brown with a large, red-tinged beige head. Head calms down quickly but leaves a small tuft of foam on top. Almost no lacing.

S: Strong nose of molasses, brown sugar, raisins, mushy dried prunes, rum-like alcohol, dark bread.

T: Not very complex, but quite pleasing. Fresh green raisins held aloft by smooth, bready yeast. Slight banana, dusting of brown sugar, subtle fruity alcohol. Big yeast flavor in the finish, along with lingering raisin and rum notes. Some roastiness comes out as it warms.

M: Medium bodied with the usual coarse Belgian-style carbonation frothing in the mouth.

O: Not as complex as it should be, but relatively satisfying and smooth. A must have for raisin fans.

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

This poured a darked brown, without a lot of foam. The aroma is not too strong, which turns out to be not terribly surprising as this is a fairly sweet beer. There is a slight bitterness which tends more towards the charred malt side than the hoppy side, there is no obvious hoppiness, perhaps some to cut the sweetness of the malt. This is actually a very drinkable beer, and goes down very easily, but in my opinion the balance is just a little off.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Brother Thelonious from North Coast Brewing Co.