Old Rasputin X Anniversary Barrel Aged Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin X Anniversary Barrel Aged StoutOld Rasputin X Anniversary Barrel Aged Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.70% ABV

Beer added by: Mark on 01-15-2007

to view more.
Ratings: 72 | Reviews: 47
Reviews by gregc:
4.37/5  rDev -0.7%

On Nitro at Blind Tigers VSK night. Wow I can't believe they have this..
Pour was pitch black with a big white head.
Aroma is amazing...Whisky, vanilla, smooth smoke, chocolate, big roasted notes and some oak. Not quite as oaky as the 11 and 12, but the wet oak aroma is still present.
Taste was a bit of a let down after the wonderful aroma. I picked up a lot of sweet chocolate, some booze, big on the bourbon flavor. Charred oak and a small amount of anise seed.
The mouthfeel was a bit on the thinner side, it was not quite as full as i had hoped it would be. Overall the drinkablity of this beer is pretty high. It went down very smooth without a ton of alcohol present. This was a rare treat to enjoy I am very happy i had the chance.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This beer is blacker than black with a brown head that left a pool of film in the middle of the liquid. The head went down to almost gone but then stayed for the 20 minutes that I left this RIP to warm. Absolutely amazing!

Smell – Oh, man, the stout aroma is big here. What strikes me first in the quality of the espresso bean. Beyond that the huge roasted malts have a nice dark yeast compliment that really rounds out the nose. But dig deeper as the beer warms and you find some gooey molasses and deep, dark fruity sugars.

What I like most though is the lack of overpowering oak. All too often "barrel-aged" means "licking oak." Here the wood is but a subtle compliment to the nose, extremely well done and not over done.

Taste – The wood properly comes out bigger at the taste. It needs to, too, because the malts here are gianormous. The espresso from the nose turned into more of a really fine coffee bean.

There's a dose of vanilla to this flavor profile that really sets off the malt and sugar relationship. The sweets are big here but with the substantial malt they aren't allowed to run wild. This is a very tasty and very intense RIP.

Mouthfeel – The regular Old Ras has a mouthfeel close to perfection, but the smoothness imparted by the X's barrel aging puts it over the edge. The upped ABV adds a nice alcohol character to this liquid velvet that makes it creamy and dreamy.

Drinkability – This is by far the smoothest RIP that I have ever had. The standard North Coast Old Ras is one of my favorite beers so I was skeptical about an anniversary edition, but this one delivers in spades.

Comments – A huge BA thanks to skyhand for donating a bottle to the Sponsor A RoyalT program. Her generosity is only matched by her choice of ale.

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured aggressively this makes a massive 4 finger head of tan bubbles that takes it time melting to very, very think lacing.

This smells like a bar-b-que...not merely oak or bourbon...this smells like a freekin' bar-b-que.
As you dig into the smell and allow it to warm you notice heavy notes of oak, bourbon, dark brown sugar, some dark fruits, and alcohol.
I suspect you could spend 20 minutes experiencing the aroma without tasting this and continually come up with new experiences. I do not have the patience for that.I want to taste it now.

Flavors are rich with the oak barrel and bourbon....strong alcohol presence which may dissipate with aging....lots of dark fruits and dark candy sugars along with dark, bittersweet chocolate and an absolutely heavenly warmth penetrating your body as you swallow.
Hmmm....flavors are actually too complex and intense for me to identify individually, but the combination is wonderful. Alcohol is too strong...intense...for me to remember what I am tasting.
Overall...
Mmmm...
Mmmm...
One glass is enough...
One bomber needs to be shared.
Love it.

3.98/5  rDev -9.5%

16.9 oz bottle into a 10 oz snifter. Much thanks to Deauane for pulling this out of his cellar.

Pours an absolutely pitch black with a 1/2 finger of light mocha colored head. It pretty much keeps all of that in the retention, which leaves just huge swathes of creamy lace down the sides of the glass. The aroma has just massive bourbon notes up front but underneath, you can still make out notes of chocolate, roast, burnt caramel, and coffee.

The taste is almost identical to the aroma with a huge presence of bourbon and oak dominating almost the whole way through. If you look deep though, some of our ole' familiar RIS is still in there, with chocolate sweetness, coffee notes, and roasted malts still making themselves known. The mouthfeel is medium bodied but a little thinner than I expected. It still packs a slick and smooth feel though. A slight sting of heat is present but it's hard to tell if that was coming from the actual body or all that bourbon taste.

I think a little toning down of the bourbon and oaked character might have made this work a little better but I was glad to see that at some of the regular Old Rasputin's awesome taste was still present. Still, it's pretty quaffable for it's size and I'm just glad to have had the chance to finally try this. Thanks again Deauane!

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Also (see Kirok1999's review) generously shared by 'Unclejedi' in the parking lot of Party Source. I stood there in the lot at the back of a mini-van thinking "Wtf am I doing?? This isn't right!" as the 12oz bottle was popped and soft poured in to a large DFH snifter.

A - Wow, who put tar in my glass? Black is right.

S - Wow, who stuffed this chunk of fresh hewn and charred (caramelized) Oak in my nose? Wonderful.

T - Wow, was that beer I just drank or did somebody liquify that piece of Oak and ferment it? Serious, at first the caramel of a good stout hits you, then hold on as everything good and nothing bad about the oak barrels it was aged in overwhelms your tastebuds and nose. Nothing simple and everything complex. In a word, awesome. Then at precisely the right moment a hint of bourbon dances about your tongue as the alcohol effervesces.

M - It didn't matter to me, and won't matter to you.

D - This is over the top. I had approx 4 oz. I doubt I could have drank more.

Overall - Now Old Rasp-y is good, but this...you'd be hard pressed to "name that beer" from which it came. Wow. I said that a lot, in that lot.

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%

From the label: Old Rasputin 10th Anniversary Russian Imperial Stout with 12 medals in 10 years, 7 of them gold. Old Rasputin has built quite a reputation. So, to celebrate its 10th Anniversary, we've aged some Old Rasputin in oak whiskey barrels to add a Bourbon note to its complex flavor profile. We think you'll agree that it works.

Old Rasputin X pours up with a moderate-full carbonation that creates a incredibly inviting tannish-mocha colored head that completely envelops the deep mahogony-brownish black body. Simply marvelous! The heavily chocolate aroma is quite complex with notes of rich toffee, toasted walnuts, cocoa nibs & plenty of coffee/espresso notes. A touch of fruity cherry-vanilla, bourbon & a hint of warmth add to the overall complexity. This one just gets better as it warms in hand. The smooth flavor starts off with an initial rush of caramel & chocolate sweetness that gives way to a solid roasted graininess with coffee & espresso notes marked by some underlying bitterness. The beer continues to grow on the palate, but dries out slightly towards the bittersweet, warming bourbon finish. This medium-full bodied Imperial Stout has long been one of my favorites, but the bourbon & cellar aging makes this one truly magnificant! Now I'm definitely looking forward to the XI & XII.

Skål! Beertracker

*Taster's Note: Special thanks to Thomas Hardy for the bottle and happy '33rd' birthday to amateurbeerguy.

4.82/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a bottle to a snifter the liquid is very dark, close to blase with a caramel reddish hue. The head is one fat thumb, dark mocha and leaves some lace.

The smell is dark roasted malt, dark bitter chocolate, vanilla and alcohol. Nice.

The taste follows lots of vanilla, oak and chard malt just the way we like it. The alcohol presents is still strong, Hops have a great bitter finish that leaves a tingle.

The mouthfeel is good, nice but not quite full body and a crisp carbonation.

The drinkability is excellent, a must try and share with friends. Prosit, MK

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%

The aroma screams bourbon barrel from the getgo - it’s all vanilla, oak, and bourbon (delicious!). The flavor parallels quickly with sweet malt, vanilla, touches of dark fruit, and a dry roasted malt finish. This is very much like the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout but just slightly, ever so slightly, not as good.

4.41/5  rDev +0.2%

500 ml bottle from inflatablechair and reinheitsgematt .... Big thanks to both of my Boise bottle providers. Decided to enjoy this tonight as my ongoing cellar clearing project.. Thanks to Matt and Sam... a small round was shared with Brenda.

My New Belgium snifter is brimming with 2 fingers of a cappuccino looking head... sheets and leopard lacing are very pretty... no light escapes from the brew in the bottom of the glass.

Big stout aromas.. roasty and toasty with quite a bit of char.. black with added spice.. vanilla and subtle bourbon.. dark chocolate with more than enough French Roast... yeasty esters .. prune and plum.

The wood is background with a very smooth and well composed RIS.. Hugely complex.. thick chocolate and vanilla.. dark malts with roasted barley.. Bourbon is present from start to finish but it never becomes a "shot of Beam boilermaker" .. the bourbon at this point is more of an essence that is part of the entire brew.. very smooth and nothing is out of line..

Body is thick and very smooth... spot on carbonation.. with a silky velvet body.. honestly one of the best RIS I've had.

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

I actually managed to get a bottle of this one, I was floored to see it in my fridge and could barely contain myself as I went to open it up. Served at cellar temp and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 02/02/2009.

The pour was very nice, lighter then I would have though though, but very very nice. Rich dark brown with some light highlights on the sides. Some nice tan head on top that settled down nicely into a firm pillow across the top that stayed with it throughout the session.

The aroma was wonderfully complex and evolving with each passing minute. Loads of bourbon in here with a nice light touch of molasses mixed in. As it warms it takes on more of a deep, almost toffee like tone, similar to a nice old ale, but still blended with chocolate and notes of coffee. As I go in for a taste, warming alcohol rushes over me. Rich notes of coffee, chocolate, lots of bourbon and vanilla, Very complex and perfectly smooth and seductive. The alcohol was well mixed out and mellowed as each smooth sip opened it up to more and more unique flavors. The long lasting taste of vanilla is the perfect accent to a perfect nightcap.

Overall this was differnet then what I espected, but I have to admit so damn good I was blown away. I cannot wait to get ahold of the XI

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours an opaque brown with a dark cream colored head. Smells of huge bourbon, oak and a hint of caramel and vanilla. Taste is big on the bourbon, but mellows out at the finish. Feels full in the mouth and is a sipper for sure. An enjoyable apartif beer.

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from the bottle into a tasting snifter.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown color with some red at the edges. There is a layer of off white head that leaves a ring around the pour.

Smell: Sweet roasted malt with some carmel and dark fruit in the mix as well. Very smooth.

Taste: The age has made this a very smooth beer. Roasted malt and dark chocolate. The bourbon is there, but there isn't much heat at all. The roast and bourbon sweetness continue through the finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is a bit syrupy with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I remember liking the XI a bit more when I had it, but this was a great beer as well. Never thought I would get to try this one. I'd have more if someone wanted to share.

Thanks to hopdog for breaking this one open...
Appears a near black with a dark brown edge when held to the light. The small, light tan head fades into a mild cap and heavy collar. Spotty lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of light oak, vanilla, cocoa, roasted nuts, and booz.
Taste is a bit lighter than the aromas with some roasted malts, rum raisins, and vanilla oak coming through in the flavors.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, fizzy up front, syrupy, boozy, with rum soaked raisins and a slightly thin finish.

4.37/5  rDev -0.7%

Scored this powerhouse at North Coasts gift shop. It's been aged in whiskey barrels and the ABV is a couple notches up from the regular Raspy. Body is black and thick, a malted milk head is thinnish and some lacing is left. Very powerful and inviting aroma that is bourbonish and some vanilla as well. Taste is very similar to aroma, man this is decadent. Woodsy notes, vanilla, whiskey, all this and the regular taste profile of Old Raspy is in there as well. Very strong. Great for a nightcap on a cold night. Enjoyed it from my sturdy, beautiful goblet I also purchased from N.C. The king's glass sure had a king's beer in it last night. Fans of big beers need to seek this one out.

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks to Intriqken for hooking me up with my quota on these. This is likely to be merely the first of many enjoyable evenings with this beer.

Appearance is very nice. Dark, dark, dark. Nearly as close to pitch black as you can get. Minimal light shows through around the edges. I had to slow my pour when it became apparent that this 16.9 ounce beer would otherwise overflow my 24 ounce snifter. Head was a full 3 fingers of nicely browned marshmallow head. It diminished relatively quickly, to a creamy light trace and very nice lacing.

Smell was predominantly that of creamy hot chocolate with notes of vanilla, maple syrup, caramel, figs and closely followed by Bourbon.

Taste was rich. Again, Chocolate. Lots of it. Bourbon followed right behind it but was not overpowering.

Mouthfeel seemed good but perhaps a little bit "prickly". Not noticably so but it's there, none the less.

Drinkability is good. If not for the mouthfeel, it would be one of my highest rated BA Impy Stouts. Even with the prickliness, this one is surely a nice night time sipper or campfire beer. Lucky for me, I'm inclined to both of those things.

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%

Viggo shared this one, which we put up beside a regular rasputin that i got from kirok1999. huge thanks eric!

500ml bottle, corked and caged. bottle lists 11.6%abv, not 11.7% above.

pours very dark brown, nearly opaque, with a huge very dense tan head. the head falls very slowly and leaves tons of lace.

aroma is great. huge bourbon and vanilla blast. alcohol. roast. lots of dark chocolate. light caramel sweetness.

taste is great. another huge blast of vanilla and bourbon. nice warming alcohol. roast. bittersweet chocolate. espresso. medium bitterness level. light caramel sweetness. big bread and biscuit malt.bit of raisin.

mouthfeel is good. low well integrated carbonation. nice big body. super smooth.

drinkability is good. balanced and very enjoyable. the alcohol is hidden quite well, mostly coming through as a little warmth.

4.26/5  rDev -3.2%

Popped the cork and poured slowly into my 2005 Strong Beer Month glass. Lighter than expected, very cola brown in appearance. Super solid two fingers of mocha brown creamy head. Very nice looking in the glass, especially for a RIS that has been aging 'this' long in oak whisky barrels.

Aroma was all whisky. Some hints of vanilla and
even coconut, but huge bourbon whiffs.

Creaminess hit my mouth for a split second before the huge smack of hot whisky. Nicely carbonated with a slight sting on the tongue. More hot bourbon flavor and charred oak on the finish. Somehow, I tasted some citric hop flavor in the back.
Very good and tasty, but incredibly one-dimensional.

The frothy head fizzled after while, but not all the way down. Some nice cloudy lacing stuck on the glass, with a smooth looking tan film. Tiny bubbles hung to the outside of the glass.

Had X for a while, lurking in the back of my cellar. And I decided to open her open for no reason at all. I am glad I did, but am very surprised how prominent the whisky flavor was. In my mind, X could lay down for a few more years.

4.97/5  rDev +13%

I got this beer a while ago, and dont remember who sent it to me. Sorry and thanks!
I am splitting the beer with Stopper at cellar temp and pouring into a snifter. The beer pours a deep brown color with frothy tan head of 2 cm foaming up and fades gradually to a surface layer. There is tight creamy lattice on the glass as it fades.
Aroma is oak and bourbon with some vanilla and chocolate as well, all very balanced with each other. Very appealing nose!
First sip reveals an average to thick body with slight syrupy texture. There is a very mild carbonation that gently rolls across my palate on each sip.
The flavor is as nose advertises with lots of bourbon, oak and vanilla. The chocolate is much more subdued here. ABV is well hidden and this makes for a very smooth enjoyable and drinkable beer. ARGGHH!! my only bottle!
I would definintely buy this if I saw it again!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Shared a bottle with the family.

Pours a deep dark brown color with a nice tan head that lingers with a lot of lacing.

Aromas are of dark chocolate, bourbon and oak.

Flavors are smooth and creamy up front. A lot of chocolate flavors, milky, dark, and bitter. Finish is crisp and biting. There is a definite oaky bourbon kick on the end as well of some anise flavors, and a bit of a bitter tinge from the hops.

Mouthfeel is full, supple, creamy, and just about perfect.

Drinkability is quite good. Very easy to enjoy and sip even for such a powerhouse of a beer. This is special. Second only to the Abyss as far as Russian Imperial Stouts I have tried... I wonder if they have any left at the brewery???

4.12/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks to Clockworkorange for this one!

A-Black hole black with a reddish-tan head that left nice lacing.

S-This is easy...bourbon, bourbon and then oh, wait...no, more bourbon. After some time warming notes of roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and dark fruit start to manifest.

T-Bourbon! Like you didnt see that coming! After getting thru that you start to find the Old Rasputin base of a lovely deep roasted malt base.

M- A bit thinner than expected but with an impressive creamy smoothness. Alcohol provides some heat in the finish.

A-You better like bourbon to enjoy this one. Either that or lay it down for a few years! I was happy to have the opportunity to try this special brew...I only wish I had another to cellar for a while.

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

Bought a few bottles the last time I was in Fort Bragg. Drank most fairly quickly, but manged to store one for nearly 4 years. Opened recently, the quality was such that I was inspired to review here. Some beers age so well, but yet aging is not something a lot of beer aficionados consider. I am making a case for aging here.

A: Poured black with slight hints of brown while pouring, with a moderate amount of head, that lingered slightly. Just as you would expect an Imperial Stout to be.

S: Incredible, Roasted malt, chocolate, slight hints of plum. The alcohol lent it complexity, that compared to bottles consumed earlier, seemed more like a dark port, but then the roasted malt brings you back to stout

T: Very balanced, and smooth. Caramel, slightly burnt malt and barely detectable hops to keep it interesting. Noticeably smoother than bottles opened earlier. Alcohol less present in taste than smell at this age. Finished with a slight hint of licorice.

M: Coated the mouth well, with a noticeable tingle. Very round, rich and creamy

D: Extremely drinkable, the age mellowed the alcohol flavor upfront enough to make you think you could drink quite a bit of this. Hands down one of the best stouts I have tasted. Wish I had saved more.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

Nice looking stout. Wouldn't call it black but close. More of a burnt russet. Opaque with a active head seems overly carbonated in bottle. Head is a good 3 inches tan fairly thick leaves nice sticky lacing around the glass and possesess good retention.

One of those beers you just love to sniff and sniff and sniff and sniff. Unfortunately sniffing gets you no where so eventually you have to drink it and it will dissapear. Light milk chocolate aromas with toasty oak aromas and bits of sweet vanilla as well as a pinch of bourbon. Sweet ripe dark fruit of both curran varieties, black cherry, blackberry and black raspberry. Very sweet toffee malt aromas as well as a bit of floral hoppy-ness.

This is quite a sipper. From indication of the nose I was expecting this beer to be somewhat thin in mouthfeel and boldness; I was wrong:) This is a damn big, creamy, mouthcoating delicious beer. The bourbon barrel aging was nearly perfectly integrated. You get that same ole goodness of Old Raspy with a smear of sweet charred oak, vanilla, bourbon, milk chocolate, mollasses, black cherry covered in white chocolate, toffee and caramel, with a smidgeon of plum. A prickly carbonation is there as well and I think it fits well with this beer. I normally wouldn't prefer that in this style but times are a changin. Alcohol is very well hidden yet traceable in both the mouth and chest but nothing over the top. RS is also decent with a nice bittering hop balancing any cloyingness on the finish.

Now to see how my other bottle tastes in a year as I'm not sure this will improve with age.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

HUGE thanks to jgaston for sending this my way, insane treat! Sampled side by side with the regular Rasputin for comparison.

Pours a very opaque black, brown head, very thick, settles down to a nice layer, leaves lots of lace. Smell is excellent, sweet bourbon, oak, chocolate, lots of vanilla, toffee, very rich, bit of alcohol, more vanilla. Taste is similar, tons of vanilla, chocolate toffee middle, vanilla roasted coffee beans, dark fruits, bourbon, tons of flavour. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, low carbonation, insanely smooth, really goes down way too easy. Fantastic example of barrel aging, really improves on the original. Thanks James!

4.79/5  rDev +8.9%

Purchased at the brewery in June 2007, then cellared for 20 months. Poured in a big wine glass at 57 F/ 14 C.

Dark coffee brown color, small tan head, plenty of finely patterned sticky lace.

The aroma takes me by surprise, in a really good way. Huge sweet bourbon barrel with a strong fruit and caramelized sugar aspect, like roasted agave, or pineapple soaked in honey and then grilled. Sweet vanilla and minty fresh herbs, too. Beautiful charred roastiness like cigar smoke, smooth and elegant. Outstanding.

The flavor has a lot of chocolate that didn't come through much in the aroma. Roasty dark chocolate, mezcal/tequila/agave (more tequila than bourbon!), bourbon, charred wood, vanilla, brown sugar, pineapple, white wine... complex and exotic, with spices, anise, grassy herbs, coffee, nuts... a smooth charred roastiness embraces and binds everything. Just the right amount of sweetness. Complex, spicy, brown sugary, bourbon barrel finish, with a gentle blast of alcohol - long, long, long.

Luscious smooth texture. A pleasure to drink.

Insanely good beer.

5/27/2012

Thanks, Matt!

A: Dark brown with some dark red notes. Finger of light brown froth.

S: Soy and coconut with dark chocolate, vanilla, and soft oxidation notes. Roasted malt is mellow. Bourbon blends with nutty character and an earthy presence.

T: Bittersweet dark chocolate with caramel, coconut, vanilla, and a little booze. Nutty notes blend with bourbon and restrained dark fruit. Oxidation is light and graceful. Roasted grains are restrained. Smooth balanced finish.

M: Upper medium body with upper medium carbonation.

Overall: Way better than the XI that I recently opened. Surprisingly good for a 5 year old Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout. I'm happy I was able to try this.

to view more.
Old Rasputin X Anniversary Barrel Aged Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.