Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels) - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels)Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels)

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Old Ale |  13.16% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 06-03-2007

Vintages: 2005, 2009, 2013
Ratings: 825 | Reviews: 321
3.94/5  rDev -11.1%

The beer pours a date colored murky dark brown with no head and very little visible carbonation or sediment. The nose is potent bourbon caramelized sugars upfront, some dark dried fruits, tobacco, and muddled booziness when it warms. The taste is subtle bourbon, sweet sugar, but definitely on the dry end compared to where a stout or barleywine would be. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, thinner than expected, with good carbonation and a lingering sticky bourbon after burn. This is a solid beer, worth trying, but why the $30 price tag??

4.31/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed 10/12/2013. 500ml bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a deep, murky brown with reddish hues on the sides and bottom of the glass. At first the pour seems like this is going to be heavily carbonated as it produces a lively head and good amount of fizz. Both the head and the fizz disappear immediately, leaving no lacing and no sign of carbonation.

The nose is somewhat sweet and full of bourbon, vanilla, oak and dark fruits. None are overpowering and none really stick out more than the others but they are all there. The combination of aromas makes for an exceptional nose. Really nice.

The taste is a step up from the nose. Still a bit sweet but full of huge vanilla notes, along with some toffee and caramel. There are also huge dark fruits notes along with big bourbon and some wood. The is really outstanding.

Four years has smoothed this beer out incredibly. There is a slight burn but that probably more because the ABV is 13+% than anything the bourbon is bringing. The carbonation is low and the body is big, not huge, leaving to a heavy mouthfeel that goes perfectly with the flavors.

This beer is exceptional. I didn't have it fresh (which I guess was already 2 years old) but I'd imagine it has mellowed if it's this smooth now. The aromas and flavors are well integrated and are a great point right now. I can't imagine it'd get better than it is now but I also don't think a few more years will make it terrible.

4.15/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2009 batch.

A: Murky brown pour with a fizzy, soda-like light brown head. Head fades out very quickly with zero lacing and almost no retention.

S: Heavy bourbon. Caramel and LOADED to the gills with dark fruits. Heavy fig, raisin, prunes. Smells more like pure bourbon or even brandy for that matter. Sharp booziness.

T: Again with the heavy bourbon. Not nearly as boozy as the aroma but still strong. Lots of toffee, loaded to the gills from start to finish. Brown sugar and caramel sweetens everything but the toffee really shines. Dark fruits are heavy too, more raisin and fig. Sweet vanilla everywhere, especially in the finish and aftertaste. Notable oakiness in the finish and lingering for a long time between sips.

M: Very low carbonation and very heavy bodied. Thick.

O: Very interesting barrel aged old ale. It has held up well for the past 4-5 years. Very sweet, very heavy due to a high ABV and low carbonation. A sipper for sure. Luckily this is only a 16.9 ounce bottle, it would be tough to drink a 750 of this stuff (are you listening, Bruery?). Dessert beer for sure. Not far from drinking pure spirits, I wish the Old Ale aspect stood out a little more, even after the years this one's barrel presence is a bit overpowering. Maybe it just needs a few more years to balance out. I enjoyed it a lot but couldn't give it the higher scores that are typical.

4.61/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Stored for four years under poor conditions.

Appearance:
Pours very light head that dissipates immediately. .The beer is a deep reddish brown that is opaque. Just looking at the beer gives the impression that it's going to be a bit thick to drink. The alcohol is very visible on the glass even though the beer does not leave any lacing.

Smell:
A heavy vanilla smell that dominates any other smell that might be there. The other smell are fruits like dried peach and possibly dried out plum or at least some sort of dark fruit with a hint of alcohol. (Warning: Cellaring this for four years and then sniffing it will get you drunk.).

Taste:
A heavy vanilla presence with a bit of coconut and a sweet malt taste. Very few words can describe how sweet and delicious this beer is. The tongue is completely dominated by sweet malts that stay with you afterwards.

Mouthfeel:
Light but biting carbonation and heavy bodied beer. The beer has a thickness to it that is similar to some of the stronger bourbon aged imperial stouts but not as syrupy. Silky.

Overall:
An absolutely wonderful beer that has aged well over the past four years.

4.6/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle share. Poured from the bottle into a snifter.

A: Deep red brownish color. Head fades quickly leaving no lacing.

S: Vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits.

T: Follows the nose with the addition of a tiny bit of coconut. Malty goodness. This is heavenly.

M: Medium bodied and silky smooth. The sweetness of it lingers and I wish it never left me.

O: Worth the high price charged and could probably be cellared a few more years, but doesn't need to be. Bottle is attractive you can tell that North Coast is proud of this beauty. Definitely a good purchase.

4.48/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Been saving this for a special occasion, so I enjoyed it with great anticipation.

A: Pours a murky, muggy brown with dark muddy ruby tinges on the edge of the glass. The head is expectably very minimal- just fizzes away within' seconds. Not the best looking beer - looks more like dirty murky brandy.

S: HUGE vanilla and coconut, caramelized/burnt brown sugar, gooey boozy caramel and raisins. There are more dark fruit notes of prunes and cherry juice that sit below the assault of boozy sweetness. Given this beer has been aging in the bottle for 2 years it's surprising how hot it still is and the booziness does get in the way some.

T: Just as big and boozy as the aroma. Rich, decadent, gooey caramel and booze soaked fruits. Sweet vanilla and some coconut as well as hints of oak. Very sweet but it balances out the abv well, though still pretty hot. Very intense

P: At first way over carbonated, but with some vigorous swirls of the glass it yields a near perfect body. Not incredibly viscous - fuller side of medium. Very smooth, allows the intense flavors to be enhanced and coats your mouth.

O: This is a stunning creation. Reminds me of the Bruery anniversary beers, but certainly it's own creation. Certainly not falling off at all, I imagine this one could cellar for another 5 years at least.

3.83/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

500ml corked and caged 2009 bottle poured into tulip 16/6/13 thanks alpineclimber for the want

A dark brownish amber with some ruby when held to the light, cola like fizz makes me think my glass is dirty but a second and third pour have the same result, liquid looks like a slow boil and its a little noisy. I don't expect much head or lace from a beer this big but I find it strange how it just fizzles out, some thick legs on the side of the glass

S bourbon and booze with some oak, brown sugar, vanilla, faint molasses and just a hint of spice and rum raisin cake

T reminds me of JD, candied corn with just a hint of smoke, this aged bottles still rather boozy, perhaps a little oxidized and rum keeps coming to mind, maybe some candied dried fruits other then raisins but I can't place it

M not as thick as I was expecting, considering how many bubbles I could see I'm finding it a little flat in the mouth, quite sticky and still fairly hot

O I like it and want to love it but the nose just didn't follow through, solid brew but I was hoping for something amazing

Its a big brew but not as big as its drinking today, considering the age I'd expect it to have mellowed a little more then it has, I've drank bigger beers younger and the had less booze burn. I was loving the nose and perhaps that got my hopes up a little

This is the epitome of what a high end beer should taste like. Way back in 2009, I had some Old Stock Ale and thought it was one of the best beers I have ever tasted. I kicked myself for not buying a case. Now we have a barrel-aged offering that has everything I've ever wanted in a beer. The dry esters are both decadent and gritty; producing a beer that has an old world vibe with a modern intensity. The obvious vanilla and tobacco flavors are immediately there, with hints of coconut, cola, dates, figs, and hazelnuts.

It takes a lot for me to give a beer a perfect rating, but this beer is one of the best ever produced by human hands. Is it the best beer I've ever tasted? It comes close. It's not cheap, but I'm most likely going to go back and buy the other two bottle in stock at my local swill merchant tomorrow.

3.59/5  rDev -19%

Pours a dull, semi cloudy brown. Some soap-like bubbles arise immediately but dissipate within seconds, leaving a rather flat looking beer in the glass. The smell is at first very bourbon heavy but after a few whiffs I notice a nice balance of wood and some toffee like malt character. There isn't much potency from the alcohol fume either so I'd guess it's mellowed considerably since 2009.

There is some nice vanilla sweetness up front with a raisiny, brown sugar malt backbone. Strong bourbon character without the alcohol burn. The back end lacks a good contrast however, and is a bit cloying. For appearing flat, the carbonation is actually pretty decent. The mouthfeel seems thin though, with a light syrupy feel. It could stand to be a bit more robust, but with this much alcohol content it's expected.

This beer has a nice flavor profile up front and alot of potential, but ultimately isn't excellent all around. Perhaps I would prefer some more bitterness for balance, and the carbonation and mouthfeel also need some work. Overall a nice brew but not worth $20+ for a small bottle.

4.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500mL bottle. kept in my cellar since its release in early 2011. poured into taster.

A: slight haze. brown body, not dark or light brown. vivacious carb ripping to the surface.

S: a lot of bourbon, booze is there, but not insane. a slight dry cocoa powder. chocolate. residual sugar is strong. caramel. molasses.

T: starts hot, lots of chocolate. booze is greater on the drink than the nose. a lot of oak. maple syrup. finishes sweet. some fruitiness as well. pretty well balanced between sweet, fruity old ale and boozy bourbon oak flavors.

M: moderate amount of carb. full bodied. carb is high, a little different for the style.

D: good, super mellow. highly drinkable. plenty of complexity without being too big. which is impressive considering this big time abv. ready to be taken out of the cellar.

4.19/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottle pour for Best Damn Night Of The Barrels held at The Beer Company in San Diego, CA.

2009 vintage.

Pours a clear brown with a foamy beige head that fades to nothing. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt, brown sugar, toffee, bourbon, and wood. Taste is much the same with an alcohol kick on the finish. There is a mild amount of woody bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with some great barrel aged aromas and flavors.

4.78/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Reviewed from notes from 1/19/13

A- Pours a deep mahogany with ruby hues. A larger head and carbonation than expected considering the age, but it disappears quickly. Lots of alcohol legs.

S- The aroma is the thing dreams are made of! Big bourbon right off the bat, ripe prune, bourbon-soaked raisins, smokey oak, vanilla, perhaps a little banana, and did I mention bourbon?! Super complex, and I'm honestly a bit lost in it and can't decipher some of the aromas!

T- The flavor is nearly identical to the nose. The smooth bourbon and sweet, over-ripe dark fruits reign supreme, and balance each other well. Figs and maybe even a little apricot make their presence known. A hint of dark chocolate/cocoa make an appearance, and perhaps cherries. Alright, enough analysis, I just want to enjoy the rest of this wondrous brew!

M- The mouthfeel is creamy as velvet, with the slightest tingle of carbonation and heat from the alcohol.

O- This is without a doubt one of the best beers I've ever tasted! Absolutely astounding complexity and balance in the flavor, and an aroma that I'd love to be able to smell every day of my life! Please release another batch of this ASAP!!

4.83/5  rDev +9%

Poured from the sexiest bottle I've ever seen into probably a snifter or a tulip or a goblet.

A: Dark brown, almost black with a very light brown head.

S: Excellent bourbon character, oak, vanilla, caramel, some raisin, rum, and dark fruit in the nose as well. Also that old ale smell. Whatever that is. It smells old. Odd that the nose of a beer can be the very definition of a smell, but old ales do it somehow. They all smell old.

T: Dark fruit with more great bourbon character. Oak, vanilla and caramel, my three favorite things in a beer. MASSIVE bourbon after taste which is more than delightful.

M: Medium-full bodied with decent amounts of carbonation.

O: If you can still find it, buy a bottle. The bottle itself is so damn sexy, and the beer is extremely tasty. Number 15 for me, as of writing this review, out of more than 600. By the way, I am starting at the top of my list and working my way down, so I keep saying how many beers I've had. That's not to brag, that's just to say how damn good these beers are to me. Sorry if it comes off braggy. I know there are people who have had WAAAAY more beers than me.

Quick edit: I don't like the beeradvocate system for rating, because the beer, right now, has an average of 98, I gave it a 97 on my blog, but my rating here says I gave it roughly 7% higher than the average rating. BA inflates. That's stupid, but then again their rating system isn't very precise. At least they don't inflate as much as Ratebeer. Dear lord.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Had on NYE from bottle poured into snifter glass
the cork comes pop out of the bottle like a champagne boom
the appearance is nice reddish color little head
the smell is amazing overwhelming bourbon and boozy smell
the taste somewhat differ although it is still overwhelming bourbon
followed by a toffee and slight hint of vanilla but I tend to
not find it all that boozy for a 13% + beer granted it has a little age on it now
the mouthfeel is smooth and it definite a slow drinker
the only downfall to this beer is the price as it is $20 + for 500 ML but
as with anything in life nothing good is free
so I would definite buy again actually I am sitting on another bottle lol
but would recommend if you havent tried and have a chance you must

3.23/5  rDev -27.1%

A-Pours a murky brown with some ruby highlights. Tightly knit bubbles rise up quickly and form a khaki colored head that dissipated almost immediately and left no lace.

S-Nose is very subdued. Some toffee, caramel, dark fruit, vanilla. Just a hint of bourbon comes through and I have to inhale deeply to get it. Nose needs to be much more prominent.

T-Taste is a little better. A nice mellow bourbon flavor greets me along with dark fruit, vanilla, toffee and a bit of booze heat at the back end.

M-Body is on the lighter side of medium with harsh carbonation leading to a dry finish.

O-I had high hopes for this one, but it was kind of a let down. Perhaps its because I enjoyed Fruet 2 days ago. This one pales in comparison.

4.36/5  rDev -1.6%

500 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2009 bottle.

Appearance - Pours with a surprisingly large khaki head. Reddish clear brown body. No head after a little while and then it's mostly lifeless.

Smell - Oh nice. Strong bourbon aroma. Lots of oak. Lots of vanilla. Lots of toffee. Lots of awesome.

Taste - Slightly less awesome than the smell, but still fantastic. Bourbon is sharp but the caramel and toffee back it up. Fruity taste from the malts reminiscent of the base beer. Oaky flavor builds into a somewhat overpowering finish.

Mouthfeel - A little over carbonated. Not as boozy as I would expect, but it has a bite. Slow drinker. Lots of oak in the finish that I don't really love.

Overall - Everything I love about Old Stock with bourbon. Can't beat it.

4.32/5  rDev -2.5%

09 vintage

Pour was deep brown, very little head. Almost a bit thin for the massive nose and flavor.

Rich and creamy. Toffee and caramel galore. Soft vanilla. Smooth bourbon.

Very similar to the nose. Sweet candy and vanilla bourbon. The finish is loaded with toffee and leather.

Very moderate carbonation, a bit too much. Light body.

Pretty good, a great winter sipper. price sucks but worth it.

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

I picked up this bottle about a couple years ago. I've been letting it cellar until about a week ago. I was excited to finally open this up.

This is an extremely rich smelling beer. You get tobacco, dark fruits, oakiness, and definitely the bourbon. There is a lot of heat coming off of this beer.

I love the flavor of this beer. I continue to get flavor akin to the bouquet notes. In addition, I got a decent amount of caramel. These flavors coat the mouth with each sip. I recommend this beer by a fire from a snifter. They pair very well. Don't forget the smoker's jacket.

4.24/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is an intense beer. You could almost mistake this for a port. This is a 2009 bottle.

A: The cork comes out with good gun smoke, and a nice pop. A dark brown/ruby color. At first a two finger bubbly tan head forms, but recedes noisily in a second to nothing. No lace. Looks very still.
S: Just an amazingly complex nose. Up front is light solvent like alcohol that works well, instead of overpowering everything. Chocolate, toffee, vanilla, oak, and toasted malts all intermingle. Dark fruits of plums and dates. Awesome.
T: Follows the nose. Chocolate, toffee, vanilla. Wood/oak from the barrels. Wonderful toasted malt flavors along with dark fruits. Cherries, plums, dates. Even some tobacco. Though that does not overpower at all, instead it compliments everything.
M/D: Surprisingly a medium body with high carbonation. Though that does not ruin anything. There is some solvent like alcohol, but still nothing that overpowers. Warming and enjoyable to sip on.

A monster beer with loads of complexities. With the age, and the typical character of the base, it seems more like port than a bourbon barrel aged beer. I really enjoyed it. A bit over carbonated, but still well done. Recommended.

4.48/5  rDev +1.1%

'09 edition.

Haven't really taken the time to review this, although I've had it probably six or seven times before; I usually only open one with company and don't wanna be rude and review in front of them. This time - the bottle is allll mine!

Pours a nice amber with a fleeting finger of taupe foam - leaving an etched surface. Nose is immaculate - nougat, bourbon, vanilla, fine malt syrup, bits of toffee, some caramalized sugar (near true creme brulee toasting). Flavor is rich and decadent with some maple, bourbon, vanilla, rich malts, some really nice sugars and a caramel flavor. Medium bodied with prickly carbonation. I really dig this beer.

4.12/5  rDev -7%

Bottle opened on 10.19.12
2009 Edition, split two ways.

A - Pours a dark brown with a very few dark brown bubbles that are gone quickly.

S - Toffee and slight carmel, with some subtle booze.

T - More booze here, but still lots of carmel and toffee.

D - Lower carbonation and a medium body.

O - Sweet and carmel heavy with a small booze kick.

4.27/5  rDev -3.6%

500ml bottle into a snifter. 2009 edition.

A: Pours a blackish maple color with a small off-white head.

S: Lots of barrel-aged goodness in the nose. Coconut, vanilla, brown sugar, cooked caramel, slight oak, chocolate, raisins, some mild heat.

T: Boozy raisins, vanilla and coconut, slight woody bourbon, sweet toffee.

M: Thick-bodied with high carbonation.

O: This smells and tastes great - the barrel-aging is stellar. The carbonation is a little too high, though.

4.87/5  rDev +9.9%

The North Coast Brewing Company Old Stock Cellar Reserve Bourbon Barrel Aged edition is a winner! It pours as a full-bodied tawny ale, with a lightly rocky, but more creamy of a tan head. Your initial notes are of cider, but not a spiced cider more of that ripe apple scent you get standing under an apple tree in late October. Your first sip engulfs your pallet in a warm toffee apple with very slight hints of the ale's fresh form (that Toffee/Vanilla/Coffee vibe) but this early in the aging process you can already see how the ale has matured. The toasty marshmallow has rounded off into the toffee and the initial booziness has turned into that of ripe harvest fruits. It ends with a pleasant if noticeable warmth reminiscent of a bourbon spiked coffee on a foggy Mendocino morning.

I waxed poetic on this even further on my blog http://www.fugglybrew.com/2011/01/old-stock-cellar-reserve-2009-from-ncbc.html

4.14/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours out a chestnut brown, with a thin, flimsy head construed of mostly open bubbles, making a thin beige head. There's red in the edges color wise. I'm normally not a fan of the base beer, in fact, I let an ex chug a bottle of the 2000 a few years ago, that was hilarious. Anyways, the aroma is so nice and sweet in the bourbon barrel versions of these, complete 180 degree turnaround for my nose. Bourbon oak, sweetness, it makes an almost syrup/molasses like component come out of the beer. Plenty of carmelized vanilla oak notes. Pretty amazing stuff aroma wise.

For something of this massive constitution, the beer felt so much lighter. A nice sweet body, but it wasn't thick. Seemed like the barrel lightened the body and added so much flavor. Bourbon isn't hot at all, in fact, it comes off like a bourbon and brandy blend moreso than just bourbon. Sticky. Takes caramel, toffee and chocolate in a sweet form married with bourbon. That's how its done son. Even manages to have just a smidge of rum like raisin bread aspect to it.

Its a real expensive beer, so I only see myself, at $20 a pop (same price per oz as Black Tuesday), buying a bottle of this every 5-10 years probably.

3.38/5  rDev -23.7%

Got this one from BOLTZ9555 in a recent trade. Cheers for the beers man!

From a 500ml corked and caged bottle into a snifter
Vintage: 2009
Note: Drunk right after a 2007 bottle of the base beer

APPEARANCE: Pours a small, loose, fizzy, off-white or cream colored head with lousy retention. Head fades quickly to a ring only. Seal brown body, a touch darker than the base, and no carbonation evident. No real head remains and looks somewhat flat by the end.

SMELL: Lots of bourbon, vanilla and oak on the nose. Caramel, toffee and brown sugar as well, with hints of milk chocolate. The barrel plays a leading roll here for sure. Base beer is there and competes well with the barrel.

TASTE: Bourbon, oak and caramel sweetness, with vanilla and milk chocolate flavors as well. Lots of barrel again after the swallow, though the chocolate, toffee and caramel flavors hold their own against the strong bourbon oak barrels. Very flavorful, bold and lingering finish on this one.

PALATE: Huge disappointment here. Thin body and very light on the palate. Higher levels of prickly carbonation, goes down rough and finishes somewhat sticky. A scratch at the swallow and some big heat lingers.

OVERALL: Too bad the palat was so lousy, as it really didn't support the flavors like it needed to. The base beer wasn't killed by the barrels in this one, but the palate just couldn't bring everything into harmony. The look really suffered here as well, with an unatractive and fizzy head making a lousy first impression. I'd much rather have the 2007 base beer again, though if they carbonated this one right, it'd be really nice.

Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged In Bourbon Barrels) from North Coast Brewing Co.