Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

ACME California IPA - North Coast Brewing Co.

ACME California IPAACME California IPA

good

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ACME California IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 549 | Hads: 1,198
2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

Judged at the 2003 Lucky Baldwin's IPA Festival. (Blind Taste)

pale orange with a good clarity and minimal haze.

Dry woody and grassy nose with a sharp rubbery nose and strong phenolics.

Initially the flavor is of acidy hops with a followup of a strong corny flavor.

Body is thin and quickly disappears behind a bitter finish. (338 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -38.4%

Pours a clear gold with light head and some lasting lace. It's aroma is of grass, fruit, and caramel. The flavor is citrusy, mainly grapefruit, with caramel notes and a malty, hoppy balance.There's a mild bitterness, not unpleasant, with a fruity aftertaste. This beer has a light-medium mouthfeel, is dry and crisp. Acme California IPA is a decent beer, not as hoppy as most American IPAs. Recommended. (403 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -38.4%

Poured a hazy medium yellow under a white, two-finger head. Really, quite shallow for my, or most others tastes I know. The aroma was completely underwhelming as well, with notes of smoke and charcoal. Odd for an IPA. So far, nothing very redeeming about this. The taste follows suit of the aromas, and is not on style. It is very different without being adventurous in this department. Why would an IPA be smoky? I don't know. It's not just my taste, I think it is just wrong. Sorry.
Mouthfeel is light and fizzy, also off. Drinkability, I couldn't really tell you. I moved on. (579 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -37.9%

Pours a golden orange color, with an average-sized white head that soon disappears. The smells are a touch faint, but I notice fruity aromas, especially oranges. Also smells a little sweet. The mouthfeel is strong and choppy. Robust. Not a very smooth beer. The taste is fine at first, but in the end it has an overly sour and almost oily aftertaste. A little overdone I believe. The drinkability is a bit handicapped as well. This one goes down fight'n. (454 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -35.1%

Very good lacing, but very little actual head and seems very light for an IPA.

Little smell, considering it's supposed to be an IPA. Very little hop aroma, malt overpowers it but no smells hit you full-on like an IPA should.

Taste is bitter more than anything, not very much hop flavor, just back-of the mouth hop bitterness. That's fine, but there needs to be the other half of the hop in there.

Mouth feel is pretty thick, maybe due to what seems like heavy but quickly dissipating carbonation.

Pretty drinkable, I guess. This might be a good ber for when you want a real big IPA, but it's just too hot out. (621 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from The Wine Seller in A2. Pours a hazy light golden color, lots of bubbles, and a small white head. The aroma is strong straw and hay, rather dry, and what seems like no malt backbone for sweetness. The flavor follows with dry stale hops, very little malts, watered down, and an unpleasant finish. I suppose I got a bad bottle here, as there is some serious funk going on in this. Maybe I'll try again later, but this was not good. (440 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours gold with a hint of amber. Substantial frothy head lasted a good while before giving way to a nice lace. Found the scent to be a little sour and off-putting at first, but it mellowed after being in the glass for a while.

Tasted of bitter hops as expected, but mostly a one-note wonder. Missing are the undertones of other subtle flavors usually found in an IPA, that, when brewed right, give this style a nice balance.

Crisp mouthfeel with a dry finish and somewhat sour aftertaste.

Drinkable, but would not be my first choice for this style. (558 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Eli's with Miss Lynn out on the beach. This one left a bit to be desired. Maybe it was because I had it after a NEBC sea hag ipa before it, but either way it let me down. I thought it was too far towards the malty side for an ipa. I got very little hops in the aroma or the taste. This is only my second offering from the North Coast. After the Old Rasputin I was expecting a lot more from their ipa. The mouthfeel was pretty bland. This pint was drinkable but I'm not the type to force something down to get a buzz. I drink beer because I like the taste of good beer. Since I paid about 5 dollars for the pint, I finished it... otherwise it may have been a drain pour. (679 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -29.7%

Bad news. I was hoping for more out of an IPA from North Coast. However, this bottle is clearly past its prime.
Golden bodied with a thin, fizzy, white head. No lacing.
Spicy hop aroma. Reminds me mostly of a euro-pils. Not as expected. Some bready notes. Signs of age here too.
Decent variety of hop flavors. Primarily floral, with spicy jabs and hidden citrus. I am not sure what the deal is, but this seems to have some sort of German pedigree and ends up tasting pilsneresque. I can't believe (and don't believe) that this is what it is supposed to taste like. Anyhow, the malt backbone does not hold up. Present only in a paper-like, bready, chalky sense.
Unpleasant residuals.
Light bodied, but not very drinkable. I'd hope an IPA would hold up better than this. (775 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -29.7%

From 12oz bottle into standard pint. No date on bottle/label.

A- Pours a standard though attractive gold/mild copper with an eggshell-white head that has good staying power and density. Par for the course, while nice, couldn't pick it up out of a lineup.

S- Fruity. Hmm, a mild medicinal quality. Not what I was expecting, although not off-putting, certainly something interesting. Not the usual Cali IPA hop blast.

T- Hmm, not what I was expecting, kind of follows the nose.. sweet, mildly bitter, in a tylenol-in-your-mouth kind of way. This tastes nothing like the IPAs I've come to know and love from Cali. While not bad, it seems more like a stronger pale ale than an IPA. I am not impressed. Malt is not strong but there are almost NO hops in this beer, so the little malt that there stands out. Strange.

M- Went down smooth, crisp and refreshing. Prob. this beer's strongest asset, highly drinkable.

D- Highly drinkable. Perhaps I'm used to in-your-face cali IPAs, but I can name a dozen readily that I'd rather down than this. Perhaps this bottle has been sitting for a while? Thanks, North Coast, for no freshness/bottled on dates. I would not reccomend this beer. While not bad by any means, it is a lackluster effort by one of my favorite breweries. I'll stick to the Old Stock, Pranqster, and Rasputin. (1,323 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -28.6%

12 oz bottle. Pours a golden orange with a soapy white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is grassy hops, a little bready malt and quite a bit of DMS. Floral hops come out as it warms.

The flavor is fruity (melon) and toasted malts follwed by an earthy floral hoppiness. It has a big lingering bitter aftertaste. Skunky Canadian beer burps. It's medium bodied and lightly carbonated, a little watery.

Overall, a pretty pedestrian IPA. It's pretty unbalanced and just doesn't do much for me. (521 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -28.3%

Maybe I missed something or got a bad batch, but this beer really did not do it for me. It pours a very light orange with a big white head. Aroma lacks the hops I would expect from an IPA. The taste is the same; missing the citrus hop bite, but leaving you with the pilsner-like taste. A good beer, but a bad IPA. (313 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -27.5%

Big white frothy 2 finger head.Hazy red colored body with some streaming bubbles.Lacing on the glass.

Some piney smell in there lurking but not much else.

Piney,faint citrus taste and some malt towards the end of the taste.

Some carbonation attack but not bad at all,pretty much the same ole mouthful for ipa's.

Drinkibility is ok,a bit high on the abv,wouldnt take ya too many to get slammed.Pretty bland beer (422 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -27%

This beer poured a very nice copper hue with a soapy one finger head. There was no head retention and minimal lacing.

The smell of the beer was uneventful. A very faint hop aroma and with hints of grass.

The taste was equally flat. No real hop characteristic. However, the ale was extremely dry and crisp. Quite refreshing and light.

The mouthfeel was average. Not what I would expect from an IPA, but average and clean nonetheless.

A good drinkable beer as long as you are not expecting a hop wallop.

Overall, not a model example of the style. (559 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%

Dull copper orange color is translucent. Hop forward and bitter. Hops are lightly floral in the finish. A little boozy and the bitterness lingers a bit. Medium body and carbonation.

Overall: I found this brew to be much too bitter for my tastes and a bit too boozy as well. It is 6.9%, so it’s somewhat to be expected, but the complexity wasn’t really there either. Starts off with the big bitter bang and tapers off to some floral notes, but nothing in between. Sessionable if you want to get drunk fast, otherwise, go elsewhere. (535 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: amber color with a small head; head retention was good

Smell: smelled of hops and possibly a bit of pepper; different than expected, but still pleasant

Taste: Initially, it wasn't bad, but the bitter aftertaste was not pleasant; bitterness a bit too sharp

Drinkability: bad bitter aftertaste never went away, and I did not feel myself craving another one

I was disappointed as IPA's are generally my favorite style. (458 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -26.2%

I think I am being kind when I say that this is the worst APA. It looks OK, but it ends there. It has as the taste of a .... nothing. It is completely bland.

There is almost no hops, malt or yeast taste. It makes me think that I got a bad bottle, but that would at least empart a bad taste. It is one to be avoided. (316 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -25.3%

Aromas of grassy, citrus hops and grainy base malts are the first impressions I get. The aromas transfer to the flavor. Fruits are prominent, like apricot and grapefruit are in there the smack around the malts. The body is medium light, with a sharp carbonation that is mistaken for bitterness. However this beer isn't all that bitter. Leaves a sweet fruity aftertaste that is rather pleasant. All around a simple version of a west coast IPA. I like it. Very quaff-able, good session beer. (489 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -24.8%

Being a huge fan of Old Rasputin, I always have high hopes for any offering from North Coast Brewery.
I felt like this one fell a little short of the other great offerings that they have. Don't get me wrong, it's not that this is a bad IPA or anything, it's just not the greatest one that I've ever had.

Hazy, yellowish pour. Slight head with carbonation bubbling through it the whole time.

Any little head that was made through the pour quickly dissapeared into a slight foam layer.

Warming, apple spice flavor pulls through the hops in the first taste, but coming in afterwards is a watery malt dryness that's not very pleasing.

Lace if left on the glass as you go. Decent brew, but I feel that there are other IPAs that offer a better experience. (767 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from the bottle into a shaker pint. Color was an orangy gold, with ample off white head of about three fingers. The head dissipated quickly leaving some minor lacing. Smell is quite malty up front, with biscuity toasty aromas dominating. Some hops are present but are so weak it is tough to discern the aroma. Taste is much the same with malty flavors dominating. Bitterness is present, but more there than discernable. Feel is briskly carbonated and medium bodied with some hop oiliness on the finish. Overall while I was able to finish the beer, it is probably not one I will purchase again. (600 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

Ok so this was my first IPA, maybe I had a bad bottle... not sure, so take this review with a grain of salt...
A- Looks good, nice golden color, lots of foam- dissolves average with some really nice webbing
S- smells good as well- bitter citrus, no real hop smell at all-(kinda surprised
T- No I would not recommend the taste- very bitter- not crisp, but not skunk either- just not my favorite combo of flavors
M- pretty dry to the tongue
D- couldn't finish my beer because the taste repelled me (501 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

I wanted to like this beer. I expected to like this beer. I really did not like this beer.

my wife summed it up: "Tastes like Beast." Indeed, it does resemble the best of Milwaukee- pale yellow, faint head, and a corn flavor that I didn't care for. I hope that I got a bad/old example of this, but I won't be buying it again to find out.

I really love Old Rasputin - it's one of my favorite stouts. I'm regretting buying a six pack of Acme - I have four bottles left - at least I have something to boil my bratwursts in. (523 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A: Pours a murky orange-amber color. The head is a two finger offwhite shade with a nicely consistent texture, even after much of it has receded. Lacing is patchy.

S: Quite floral. There is a lot of pine, lavender, biscuit, and mild caramel. Not much citrus quality, sadly.

T/M: Tastes like...well, an IPA. This one in particular starts off malty with notes of biscuit and toffee, while a light citrus quality pops up past the midtaste. It actually tastes a bit yeasty, and certainly feels that way. The heavy feel, chalky finish, and moderate astringency all take away from an otherwise balanced but bland IPA. I'd reckon its best feature is the building dryness on the aftertaste.

O: I love the simple but retro labeling - shame the beer itself feels about 10 years behind the 8 ball. It's too heavy-feeling to session and too mild for serious IPA drinkers. Others out there will like it, though. (947 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

12 oz. Bottle - ACME California IPA

Got a lazy Sunday situation going on here, so thought I would review a few beers. Picked up a couple of these in a mix-a-six, surprised this is the first time I have tried this as I am a big fan of North Coast.

A - Pours out a nice amber. Unremarkable head with some slight lacing as I move through the tasting. Average appearance, not much to get excited about.

S - Slightly fruity. For an IPA I am surprised at how sweet this as it hits my nose. Apricot is the dominate fruit note here, but too much of it kills the hops.

T - Remarkable sweet for an American IPA. Apricots and orange in the front, with a decent bitter and biscuit finish. The beer does have some balance, but could use a little more bitterness to counter the sweetness.

M - Smooth with a thin finish. Slightly dry, makes me feel like I am drinking a light pilsner style beer.

D - At 6.5% it has a decent kick to it. For an IPA the sweet notes are what would turn me off to drinking a decent amount. Still, it is a decent drinking IPA.

For me, this was a little unusual for a 'California' IPA. I am just not sure what the intent of this beer was. Being an east coaster I am used to some sweet malty-ness in an IPA, so the sweetness was not an instant turn-off, but this just seemed to be a slightly sweet under-hopped attempt at an IPA. I would not be looking to try again. (1,391 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

Tap@North Coast. Hoppy, as usual, but a lot more subtle than other Californian IPA’s. Lychee and pine, with more malty/grainyness. Drinkable, yes, but a bit on the boring side. Still, it has a taste that will probably appeal to a wider audience, drinakble. (257 characters)

ACME California IPA from North Coast Brewing Co.