ACME California IPA - North Coast Brewing Co.

ACME California IPAACME California IPA

good

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ACME California IPA Alström Bros
Photo of
2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

2.55/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Eli's with Miss Lynn out on the beach. This one left a bit to be desired. Maybe it was because I had it after a NEBC sea hag ipa before it, but either way it let me down. I thought it was too far towards the malty side for an ipa. I got very little hops in the aroma or the taste. This is only my second offering from the North Coast. After the Old Rasputin I was expecting a lot more from their ipa. The mouthfeel was pretty bland. This pint was drinkable but I'm not the type to force something down to get a buzz. I drink beer because I like the taste of good beer. Since I paid about 5 dollars for the pint, I finished it... otherwise it may have been a drain pour.

2.55/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours gold with a hint of amber. Substantial frothy head lasted a good while before giving way to a nice lace. Found the scent to be a little sour and off-putting at first, but it mellowed after being in the glass for a while.

Tasted of bitter hops as expected, but mostly a one-note wonder. Missing are the undertones of other subtle flavors usually found in an IPA, that, when brewed right, give this style a nice balance.

Crisp mouthfeel with a dry finish and somewhat sour aftertaste.

Drinkable, but would not be my first choice for this style.

2.55/5  rDev -29.6%

From 12oz bottle into standard pint. No date on bottle/label.

A- Pours a standard though attractive gold/mild copper with an eggshell-white head that has good staying power and density. Par for the course, while nice, couldn't pick it up out of a lineup.

S- Fruity. Hmm, a mild medicinal quality. Not what I was expecting, although not off-putting, certainly something interesting. Not the usual Cali IPA hop blast.

T- Hmm, not what I was expecting, kind of follows the nose.. sweet, mildly bitter, in a tylenol-in-your-mouth kind of way. This tastes nothing like the IPAs I've come to know and love from Cali. While not bad, it seems more like a stronger pale ale than an IPA. I am not impressed. Malt is not strong but there are almost NO hops in this beer, so the little malt that there stands out. Strange.

M- Went down smooth, crisp and refreshing. Prob. this beer's strongest asset, highly drinkable.

D- Highly drinkable. Perhaps I'm used to in-your-face cali IPAs, but I can name a dozen readily that I'd rather down than this. Perhaps this bottle has been sitting for a while? Thanks, North Coast, for no freshness/bottled on dates. I would not reccomend this beer. While not bad by any means, it is a lackluster effort by one of my favorite breweries. I'll stick to the Old Stock, Pranqster, and Rasputin.

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

Bad news. I was hoping for more out of an IPA from North Coast. However, this bottle is clearly past its prime.
Golden bodied with a thin, fizzy, white head. No lacing.
Spicy hop aroma. Reminds me mostly of a euro-pils. Not as expected. Some bready notes. Signs of age here too.
Decent variety of hop flavors. Primarily floral, with spicy jabs and hidden citrus. I am not sure what the deal is, but this seems to have some sort of German pedigree and ends up tasting pilsneresque. I can't believe (and don't believe) that this is what it is supposed to taste like. Anyhow, the malt backbone does not hold up. Present only in a paper-like, bready, chalky sense.
Unpleasant residuals.
Light bodied, but not very drinkable. I'd hope an IPA would hold up better than this.

2.63/5  rDev -27.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours a golden orange with a soapy white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is grassy hops, a little bready malt and quite a bit of DMS. Floral hops come out as it warms.

The flavor is fruity (melon) and toasted malts follwed by an earthy floral hoppiness. It has a big lingering bitter aftertaste. Skunky Canadian beer burps. It's medium bodied and lightly carbonated, a little watery.

Overall, a pretty pedestrian IPA. It's pretty unbalanced and just doesn't do much for me.

2.63/5  rDev -27.3%

Maybe I missed something or got a bad batch, but this beer really did not do it for me. It pours a very light orange with a big white head. Aroma lacks the hops I would expect from an IPA. The taste is the same; missing the citrus hop bite, but leaving you with the pilsner-like taste. A good beer, but a bad IPA.

2.65/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: amber color with a small head; head retention was good

Smell: smelled of hops and possibly a bit of pepper; different than expected, but still pleasant

Taste: Initially, it wasn't bad, but the bitter aftertaste was not pleasant; bitterness a bit too sharp

Drinkability: bad bitter aftertaste never went away, and I did not feel myself craving another one

I was disappointed as IPA's are generally my favorite style.

2.68/5  rDev -26%

This beer poured a very nice copper hue with a soapy one finger head. There was no head retention and minimal lacing.

The smell of the beer was uneventful. A very faint hop aroma and with hints of grass.

The taste was equally flat. No real hop characteristic. However, the ale was extremely dry and crisp. Quite refreshing and light.

The mouthfeel was average. Not what I would expect from an IPA, but average and clean nonetheless.

A good drinkable beer as long as you are not expecting a hop wallop.

Overall, not a model example of the style.

2.68/5  rDev -26%

Dull copper orange color is translucent. Hop forward and bitter. Hops are lightly floral in the finish. A little boozy and the bitterness lingers a bit. Medium body and carbonation.

Overall: I found this brew to be much too bitter for my tastes and a bit too boozy as well. It is 6.9%, so it’s somewhat to be expected, but the complexity wasn’t really there either. Starts off with the big bitter bang and tapers off to some floral notes, but nothing in between. Sessionable if you want to get drunk fast, otherwise, go elsewhere.

2.68/5  rDev -26%

I think I am being kind when I say that this is the worst APA. It looks OK, but it ends there. It has as the taste of a .... nothing. It is completely bland.

There is almost no hops, malt or yeast taste. It makes me think that I got a bad bottle, but that would at least empart a bad taste. It is one to be avoided.

2.7/5  rDev -25.4%

Ok so this was my first IPA, maybe I had a bad bottle... not sure, so take this review with a grain of salt...
A- Looks good, nice golden color, lots of foam- dissolves average with some really nice webbing
S- smells good as well- bitter citrus, no real hop smell at all-(kinda surprised
T- No I would not recommend the taste- very bitter- not crisp, but not skunk either- just not my favorite combo of flavors
M- pretty dry to the tongue
D- couldn't finish my beer because the taste repelled me

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

Big white frothy 2 finger head.Hazy red colored body with some streaming bubbles.Lacing on the glass.

Some piney smell in there lurking but not much else.

Piney,faint citrus taste and some malt towards the end of the taste.

Some carbonation attack but not bad at all,pretty much the same ole mouthful for ipa's.

Drinkibility is ok,a bit high on the abv,wouldnt take ya too many to get slammed.Pretty bland beer

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

Aromas of grassy, citrus hops and grainy base malts are the first impressions I get. The aromas transfer to the flavor. Fruits are prominent, like apricot and grapefruit are in there the smack around the malts. The body is medium light, with a sharp carbonation that is mistaken for bitterness. However this beer isn't all that bitter. Leaves a sweet fruity aftertaste that is rather pleasant. All around a simple version of a west coast IPA. I like it. Very quaff-able, good session beer.

2.75/5  rDev -24%

ACME California IPA from North Coast Brewing Co.