ACME California IPA - North Coast Brewing Co.

ACME California IPAACME California IPA

good

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ACME California IPA Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -24%

2.78/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from the bottle into a shaker pint. Color was an orangy gold, with ample off white head of about three fingers. The head dissipated quickly leaving some minor lacing. Smell is quite malty up front, with biscuity toasty aromas dominating. Some hops are present but are so weak it is tough to discern the aroma. Taste is much the same with malty flavors dominating. Bitterness is present, but more there than discernable. Feel is briskly carbonated and medium bodied with some hop oiliness on the finish. Overall while I was able to finish the beer, it is probably not one I will purchase again.

2.78/5  rDev -23.2%

I wanted to like this beer. I expected to like this beer. I really did not like this beer.

my wife summed it up: "Tastes like Beast." Indeed, it does resemble the best of Milwaukee- pale yellow, faint head, and a corn flavor that I didn't care for. I hope that I got a bad/old example of this, but I won't be buying it again to find out.

I really love Old Rasputin - it's one of my favorite stouts. I'm regretting buying a six pack of Acme - I have four bottles left - at least I have something to boil my bratwursts in.

2.8/5  rDev -22.7%

Being a huge fan of Old Rasputin, I always have high hopes for any offering from North Coast Brewery.
I felt like this one fell a little short of the other great offerings that they have. Don't get me wrong, it's not that this is a bad IPA or anything, it's just not the greatest one that I've ever had.

Hazy, yellowish pour. Slight head with carbonation bubbling through it the whole time.

Any little head that was made through the pour quickly dissapeared into a slight foam layer.

Warming, apple spice flavor pulls through the hops in the first taste, but coming in afterwards is a watery malt dryness that's not very pleasing.

Lace if left on the glass as you go. Decent brew, but I feel that there are other IPAs that offer a better experience.

2.8/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A: Pours a murky orange-amber color. The head is a two finger offwhite shade with a nicely consistent texture, even after much of it has receded. Lacing is patchy.

S: Quite floral. There is a lot of pine, lavender, biscuit, and mild caramel. Not much citrus quality, sadly.

T/M: Tastes like...well, an IPA. This one in particular starts off malty with notes of biscuit and toffee, while a light citrus quality pops up past the midtaste. It actually tastes a bit yeasty, and certainly feels that way. The heavy feel, chalky finish, and moderate astringency all take away from an otherwise balanced but bland IPA. I'd reckon its best feature is the building dryness on the aftertaste.

O: I love the simple but retro labeling - shame the beer itself feels about 10 years behind the 8 ball. It's too heavy-feeling to session and too mild for serious IPA drinkers. Others out there will like it, though.

2.83/5  rDev -21.8%

Appearance: Light copper-colored body with a small, foamy white head.

Smell: Faint lemony citrus aroma with lesser notes of apricots and pale malts.

Taste: Starts with a faint, remote sweetness then moves to a grapefruit twang. Finishes lightly bitter, lighty metallic.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Sharp carbonation.

Drinkability: Little malt, hop, or yeast character. Entirely underwhelming.

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%

Tap@North Coast. Hoppy, as usual, but a lot more subtle than other Californian IPA’s. Lychee and pine, with more malty/grainyness. Drinkable, yes, but a bit on the boring side. Still, it has a taste that will probably appeal to a wider audience, drinakble.

12 oz. Bottle - ACME California IPA

Got a lazy Sunday situation going on here, so thought I would review a few beers. Picked up a couple of these in a mix-a-six, surprised this is the first time I have tried this as I am a big fan of North Coast.

A - Pours out a nice amber. Unremarkable head with some slight lacing as I move through the tasting. Average appearance, not much to get excited about.

S - Slightly fruity. For an IPA I am surprised at how sweet this as it hits my nose. Apricot is the dominate fruit note here, but too much of it kills the hops.

T - Remarkable sweet for an American IPA. Apricots and orange in the front, with a decent bitter and biscuit finish. The beer does have some balance, but could use a little more bitterness to counter the sweetness.

M - Smooth with a thin finish. Slightly dry, makes me feel like I am drinking a light pilsner style beer.

D - At 6.5% it has a decent kick to it. For an IPA the sweet notes are what would turn me off to drinking a decent amount. Still, it is a decent drinking IPA.

For me, this was a little unusual for a 'California' IPA. I am just not sure what the intent of this beer was. Being an east coaster I am used to some sweet malty-ness in an IPA, so the sweetness was not an instant turn-off, but this just seemed to be a slightly sweet under-hopped attempt at an IPA. I would not be looking to try again.

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale blonde in the glass...thick, rich head that hangs around for the duration of the drink.

Smells lightly of hops and a sweet aroma of fruit.

Flavor left some to be desired...brief hop bite, it does not linger on the palate, some bitternesss, but overall a little dry.

It's drinkable, but I won't be seeking it out again.

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%

Picked this up at Bottleworks in Seattle. Cool looking red label with a chick hanging on to a rope flying through the air while holding a pint of beer. There is a proclamation on the label that this is one of the Ten best beers in the world according to the Beverage Testing Institute.

Pours an unappealing hazy brownish-orange color. The head is rather impressive; Thick and chunky, lotsa lacing.

Aroma or Floral hops, bread, and citrus.

Mouthefeel is creamier than I expected for an IPA. Flavor is unimpressive. Not overly hoppy for an IPA, however it has a perfumey taste that lingers, and seems out of balance.

Bottom line, great packaging, average IPA.

2.89/5  rDev -20.2%

this beers from California are really expensive in Costa Rica.

A: is a golden color, with a nice one finger head that doesn't leave a lace

N: slightly hoppy, some bread notes and floral notes

T: light grain taste, followed by some earthy hops

M: it is a light beer, easy to drink

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light golden with a large white head that sticks around the entire time the beer sits in the glass. Excellant retention. Moderate lacing left on the glass.

I get a lot of bready malt and not much for hops in the aroma. The hops do give off some pine and citrus aromas.

Mostly malt in the taste. There is a bitterness there but the flavor from the hops have been lost somehow. Leaves a lingering bitterness on the tongue but no hint of pine, citrus, grass, spice, etc. Just bitter. Very odd profile.

On the lighter side of IPAs with low carbonation that coats the mouth nicely.

It is an easy drinker but the odd flavor leaves it far behind most IPAs. I won't revisit this one.

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

A: Orangish hue with a golden touch. Almost like a mix between apple juice and orange Hi-C. Medium white head that dissipates quickly to a sticky ring. Lacing is decent up front but dies by the end.
S: Aromatic scents of grapefruit, sour piney/fruit, floral hops and a slight bread/malt backing that adds a scent of sweetness.
T: Grapefruit, piney and floral hops up front over a malty sweetness that ends very pungent with noticeable alcohol. Ends with a big punch in the face-bitter, strong, and not for everyone. As the temp comes down so does the bitterness.
MF: Light with a semi-dry to dry, bitter finish.
Overall: Overall a decent West Coast IPA, although this style IPA is not for everyone. North Coast produces great brews, but be warned that this one finishes strong and bitter unlike some less pungent IPA offerings.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

I am really of a fan of most of the 'west coast' IPAs, but I felt that this one fell a little short.

The appearance was OK. Poured a great light orange color with a small amount of white head. Smelled pretty good with a lot of that west coast citrus hops.

The taste is where it really went down in score. The great smell did not translate to the taste. Perhaps I had an older bottle and didn't realize it. The hops did not really come through as I expected. A little thin in the mouth feel.

Good to try it, but I don't think I'd seek this one out again as there are just too many great beers out there to enjoy.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance: A light lemony-tan color with some haze, and an active inch of dense white head. A little lighter than some IPAs, but not the lightest I’ve ever seen either.

Smell: Wow. If dry hopping is to impart hop scent, this thing must have been dry hopped, stomped, pummeled, squeezed and choked. An intensely raw hop prescence in the nose; pine scents predominate some little floral character.

Taste: Whoa. This is bad ass. This isn’t even listed as a double IPA, but it should be. This is the most raw, unrefined hop monster I have ever tasted. The malts, who knows? My tastebuds were gone after the first sip. I guess there was some dry biscuit flavor, but mostly just wild hops. This makes Stone’s Ruination seem mild by comparison. The ending is sharply bitter, more strong pine flavor and acidic fruit. This is something else. I want to know the IBUs in this. I’d guess 100+, easy. No more fresh kegs of this please.

Mouthfeel: Ok, I suppose. Not too heavy, but with so much on the bittering side, this could stand up to tons more malt.

Drinkability: I couldn’t have another if I tried. Too much. So overly hopped, this has lost sight of the fact that IPAs, no matter what the style was intended to preserve, were still meant to be consumed at some point. This sort of misses that fact. Send one to India and back (or stick it in the cellar for 2 or 3 years) and I suspect you’ll have something special on hand. Fresh, and you’ll just wonder what happened to your mouth.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Undated bottle  Bought at Happy Harry's Grand Forks Sourh in a mixed six. Poured into a clear plastic glass around 4C

A: Slightly hazy straw yellow body with a dinger of head with light lacing 4.5
S:  Incredibly muted. A hint of hops, maybe earth?  Light notes of apple juice. Nothing like an IPA should be. Old bottle perhaps? 2
T: A nice thin body here that lets the hops shine. Strong bitterness with a resinous pineyness. Still weak flavours though, hopefully this bottle has faded with time otherwise it is a weak IPA.  3
M: Strong carbonation and nice lingering bitterness, though the bitterness is not as sharp as I had expected. 3.5
O: An old bottle?  Perhaps. Unless I know this is fresh I won't be touching this again. 3

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

From the bottle, so ignore the appearance (and smell, really):

It's good. Not great, but for being on sale for about $6.50 (for a six) it was a deal. Might not be a bad way to get "malty only" folks to try a hoppier style. I certainly would find good use for a mini keg of this!

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. Murky goldenrod with an ivory head that leaves some nice lacing. Aroma is one part herbal hops and one part pineapple/grapefruit hops. Flavor is hop-forward, with pine needles and citrus over homemade biscuity malt. There's an unpleasant tinge of minerals and sourness in the finish. High carbonation, in fact this is like drinking hoppy Perrier; even the mineral note fits. Thin bodied and short on the finish. Could stand a more flavorful malt profile and more bittering hops.

ACME California IPA from North Coast Brewing Co.