ACME California Pale Ale - North Coast Brewing Co.

ACME California Pale AleACME California Pale Ale

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ACME California Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a NB globe glass.

A - Pours a slightly hazy light orange w/ two finger width white head. Moderately carbonated.

S - I mostly get bready malt on the nose and a touch of floral hops.

T - Follows the nose; fairly malty with a nice dose of hop bitterness through the middle and finish. It doesn't quite have the hops that I find myself wanting, but still pretty good.

M - Medium bodied. I wanted it a bit lighter, or maybe a bit more carbonation.

O - Overall, a decent beer. Definitely not the best pale ale out there, but worth a shot.

3.38/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a nice golden colour with a one finger head. The head hangs around for a while and leaves nice lacing.

The nose is mostly soured fruit with some malts and hops. The taste shows a nice balance of malts and hops, with some bitterness throughout the sip. There is sort of a smoky flavour at the finish that adds a bit of character.

Mouthfeel is light with a nice amount of carbonation. Drinkability is more than average, but not the best. I could drink more than one in a sitting, but I don't know if I would drink three or more.

Excepting the smell, it is a nice brew, but it is not one I will spend time trying to find. I wouldn't turn it down if offered one, though.

3.95/5  rDev +14.5%

The colour is right about where I thought it would be; about halfway between an IPA and a generic pale ale. It's pale, but has a cloudy amber-rose appearance... like a translucent apricot. I found the head disappointing. I didn't give it a hard pour, but a very little head was gone before I could turn the camera I took its picture with off. At least its ring of suds left some lacing.

The smell is very subtle. A bit malty... like caramel with some orange peel. It's a nice blend of malt and hops.

The taste kicks it up a bit. It's what you get in the smell, but more pronounced. The flavour turns a bit to a mix of orange and grapefruit... even a hint of cherry, backed up with some malt sweetness / slight fullness.

The mouthfeel is good. The carbonation is just about right, and it's a little viscous like their IPA. It's not overly bitter, dry, or anything else. It's pretty well-balanced.

It's a pretty refreshing ale, and quite good overall. Against other American pale ales, I think it fares pretty well, as compared to the ACME IPA, which doesn't stack up quite as well to its IPA competition.

2.9/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a peachy orange color. Smell's nearly non-existent. Taste is average. Nothing really jumps out at me, perhaps a little peach and grapefruit, but overall this is really pretty weak.

This is a servicable pale, nothing more than drinkable, and I say that only because there's nothing truly awful about this beer. But the price alone ($8.50 for a sixer) would prevent me from buying again (or at least often), as there are better tasting pales (Summit, Goose Island, Full Sail, etc.) available around here for $1-$2 less.

2.6/5  rDev -24.6%

12 oz bottle. Pours cloudy orange with 2 cm of nearly white foamy head that is mostly diminishing. Aroma of citrus and bread. Initial taste is sweet with malt and citrus, but changes to a more balanced flavor with hops and bread flavors. Light body, not particularly having an alcohol presence, moderate lacing, and some aftertaste. Overall, doesn't compare to the other beers in this category.

2.63/5  rDev -23.8%

A: Pale-ish, golden-amber color with orange hues. Small, white, fizzy head that dissipates to very small ring quickly. Slight lacing, but not much.
S: Bland. Floral and green hop scent with hints of honey and a few sour-fruit notes. Also some grassy scents coming through. Watered down, not a lot of distinct flavors are present.
T: Again, bland and watered down. Floral and green hops here too with an herbal and grassy taste present. Noticeable honey and some bitter and sour fruit. Hint of malt sweetness in the background. Again, nothing too distinct.
MF: watery and light, lack of good carbonation.
Overall: I truly wanted to like this APA, I really like North Coast and their line of brews, but this was a huge disappointment for me. I'm wondering (and hoping) I got a bad bottle. It was bland throughout with a lack of distinct flavors anywhere. I'll give it another try to see if I got a bad bottle.

3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

Sampled last night at the Brickskeller. My first beer from North Coast and I was a little underwhelmed. Pours a clear honey-gold color with moderate white head. Nose is understated floral and malt notes. On palate, a clean and crisp ale but seemed to me to be lacking in depth/complexity and most importantly body. The mouthfeel of this beer is the letdown; just too thin. Flavor profile is dominated by slight cookie sweetness and cleanness of hops, but just not alot going on here. Drinkability here is very high indeed, but ends up sacrificing flavor and charm.

3.15/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a sparking amber color, more orange than red, with a thick, two-finger high creamy and substantial off-white head.

Aroma is hard to describe - though not unpleasant, nothing stands out. There are hints of burnt caramel, citrus, malt and hops that also translate to the taste which again is unremarkable, but not necessarily in a bad way. It seems wrong to say, but this is a simple beer that, for the style, is well done.

I think of Acme's Pale Ale offering as being a good gateway beer to other offerings. It is different enough from the usual macros in the way that Fat Tire once was - has enough stand out characteristics to begin to tempt the palate of a beer newbie without being overpowering.

I say this with all humility as this was one of the beers I "experimented with" before graduating to - and becoming enamored with - Acme's IPA offering.

One thing that stands out in this beer is the mouthfeel - I find it quite refreshing, with just the right amount of carbonation to keep the caramel and malts from being syrupy.

A good choice and definitely drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

3.33/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear, medium-golden color with a fizzy white head.

S: Crisp malt notes with a dash of herbal hop aroma. Some light graininess as well.

T: Not too bad. Solid pub ale flavors, but its profile seems more characteristic of a Kölsch than a pale ale. Crisp, yet slightly subdued hop character and a crisp malt background. Pretty solid.

M: Lighter body, but not too much so. Decent carbonation with a slightly slick feel and (mostly) clean finish. Dries ever so slightly.

D: A good candidate for a session ale. Goes down pretty easy.

Overall, a decent ale. Nothing too terribly special or jaw-dropping, but an okay kick-back beer, especially on a hot day. A good gateway beer, perhaps?

2.9/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Looks pretty good, it has a nice golden orangy(?) color with a thin head which diminishes quickly. The nose cabbage, little bit of hops, some hints of caramel. Taste: some malt with a little hops and leaves a little to be desired. Mouthfeel is nice bubbles with a somewhat creamy finish. I could drink a couple. not the best, not the worst an OK beer

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

3.05/5  rDev -11.6%

A: Straw color; nice fluffy head that leaves some lacing.
S: Mild; strawberries and lemons.
T: Pretty straightforward; toasty and doughy, a little bit tart. Hops are present but not used very well.
M/D: Tart mouthfeel reduced drinkability; feels slightly metallic.

Not a bad brew, but not a great example of an APA especially whith so many versions of the style that are easy to get.

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Though the head is a little disappointing, the color is beautiful.

S: Smell is faint, yet clean. No big hop aroma, which I expect from an APA. I am not completely disappointed at the fact.

T: A good beer, but not exciting. Personally, I think this should be the goal of a pale ale. Keep the hop bombs for IPAs.

MF: A little thin, not bad.

D: I won't go out of my way to buy more; I prefer my homebrew for a beer like this. I think I would really go for this on tap though. I see this as great with pizza or wings. A true session beer.

This beer says 'average' and 'balanced. Not for adventure types, but a good beer for drinking.

2.73/5  rDev -20.9%

Appearance: orange/bronze with a sturdy head that resembled most of the other pale ales I have tried
Smell: very fruity and herbal, quite pleasant again nothing special
Taste: bummer man, fill a glass approximately 2/3 full of SNPA then add water until the glass is full, that's the best description I can give...watered down
Mouthfeel: thin
Drinkability: yeah, sure on a hot day, nothing evil about this beer, but who cares?

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

A - deep opaque caramel color. one finger head that quickly transformed to about half of that. above average carbonation. nice full lacing.

S - a distinct malty, yeasty frangrance. A bit of grass and resin.

T - bready. some citrus in there somewhere. nothing that really made a statement to me.

M - again, you could sense the above average carbonation. it leaned toward the watery side. tasted it in the back roof of my mouth.

D - better than a Bud Light, but not by much. probably won't buy it again.

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

smooth good bitter

ACME California Pale Ale from North Coast Brewing Co.