Old #38 Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old #38 StoutOld #38 Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Irish Dry Stout |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-18-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old #38 Stout Alström Bros
2.83/5  rDev -26.1%

Reviewed on 05/10/2009. 12 oz. bottle. The beer pours black with a thick light tan head. Aroma of super sweet malt, roasted malt, and some raisins. Flavor of roasted, sweet malt with some vegetal notes. This was not very interesting. It was sweet and meh.

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to (I'm pretty sure) crazynelson for the extra!

Pours a thick, opaque black with a thin ring of tan head, subtle highlights around the bottom. Tiny bubbles, this has a champagne-like consistency, not as thick as other dry stouts. Some lacing that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smells like grape soda at first, then sort of funky/veggie-ish, & a little sweet. Getting very mild milk & roast notes toward the end. Tastes of grape soda up front, too, then fades to a dull, almost chalky malt flavor that characterizes a lot of dry stouts, but here just seems limp. I was very happy with the first after-taste, which finished in a pleasant milk chocolate/roast coffee character. Sadly, that disappeared after the first sip, & I desperately tried to get it back after that, as it was the best part of the brew. No luck.

The mouthfeel is thin, nothing like the thick creaminess I expect from the style. A little fizzy, but that dies in about half a second. This reminds me more of a brown ale or a weak porter than a stout, & I'm sad to say I find it lackluster. North Coast has never disappointed me before, but there is just so much more to be expected from the style.

2.88/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured into a mug as a completely pitch black beer with plenty of thick tan head. Head slowly evaporated, leaving lacing down the glass. Taste is smooth, with some brief chocolaty hints. Not very strong and doesn't last very long either. Overall, I was very underwhelmed by the averageness of this beer. Drinkable, but unremarkable.

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

Appearance:

Black with ruby hints and a weak tan head.

Smell:

An unpleasant salty sardine type aroma emerges from this one along with a burnt smell

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Ocean flavor persists along with that smoky/roasted malt presence that was evident in the aroma. There is a touch of sweetness at first, and in the finish. Finish is also very bitter, causing a bit of mouth pucker. Not my favorite stout.

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured a black color with a 3 inch head. Lacing is left on the side of my glass.

Smells very much like dark fruit, sugary, plums come to mind, roasted malts.

Mild bitter hop taste in the beginning with some floral notes in the middle. Hint of dark sugar is noticable. This fnished with a roasted coffee burnt aftertaste.

Feels thin and needs more flavor, tad watery feeling in the end.

I couldnt see myself drinking this beer again.

The pour was near spot on for the style and really showed a tremendous amount of promise. Dark as night with a rich and creamy tan head that rose up from the bottom and settled down very nicely along the top of the glass. Bu that was about the best it would get. Too light of a n aroma, as roasted malts and chocolate notes seem to be horribly off balance. Hints of coffee maybe? But it all seemed to be a bit of a mess for me to be honest. Smooth, even carbonation on a somewhat mellow profile, needed a bit more of a punch to really be anything worthwhile to me. Roasted chocolate, hints of tobacco, a light sweetness, but again it really all seemed terribly off balance to me to be honest.

The beer pours out thick, and has a dark brown head… it looks like Coke to be honest. Well, I drink a LOT of diet soda, so maybe I am slightly jaded. I have had beers this dark before, especially while in Europe. I remember one night I was in some random underground pub in Rzeszów and I ordered whatever they had on tap. We had just gotten in, and I wasn’t familiar with the beers yet. That beer had a similar head as this. That beer ended up being 13% ABV… so needless to say, I only had a couple.

When you first drink a stout, you expect it to be thick, and creamy. This beer looks like it will be thick, but starts off extremely carbonated and smooth. I am quite impressed with how smooth it is actually. It has a certain kick to it at the end too. Not sure what that is sneaking up on me… but it has that bite. I like it!

The beer also has a great nose. It smells just as good as it tastes. And with a low ABV, you might get just as much enjoyment out of smelling this one. But when you do take the first few drinks, the aftertaste sticks around. But it sticks around in place on the palate you wouldn’t expect. That’s not a bad thing, but something unexpected. Stouts are usually not this drinkable. This is a nice after dinner drink… but bring me a six-pack instead of a pint.

The beer is good. I also love the train coming at you on the bottle. There’s a story behind said train, actually. Weird to think this beer started as a home-brew and ended up being chilled in my refrigerator.

Old #38 Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.