Scrimshaw Pilsner - North Coast Brewing Co.

Scrimshaw PilsnerScrimshaw Pilsner

good

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

German Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Scrimshaw Pilsner Alström Bros
Reviews: 667 | Hads: 1,755

My tastebuds love this and I'm no expert but I LOVE this. Crisp. Bubbly. Clean finish. Slight dryness. I hate flowery. I hate hoppy. I hate CRAFT for the most part. XLNT. BRAVO. (177 characters)

If God himself were to drink a beer, it would be this one. It has the light, drinkable texture, all of the alcohol content, and no nasty aftertaste. I can drink this while i eat dinner, or I can come in after mowing my grass and this beer is absolutely amazing. I have had it semi warm and ice cold. Of course Ice cold is the best. The one thing that I truly admire about this beers flavor is that is goes great with any food you make. I truly love it best with a big plate of fried Cod, Fried chips and hush puppies! (517 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +32.9%

Twelve ounce bottle into bicentennial Mason jar.

A: Beautiful golden color with three finger white head that has good lace on tip and some round spot left here and there.

S: Nice fresh grains and floral hops. Sweet clover honeycomb. The smell of a fresh bale of hay in the barn when you break it open.

T: Munich malt, Hallertauer, und Tettnang hops. Das ist gut beir. The grassy flower nectar hops complement the sweet malt perfectly. Nice crisp dry finish. German Pilsners und Kolsch beirs are hitting my tastebuds much more square as I learn more and more about beir. This is an incredible working in the hot sun summer beir. Try a few on they will fit you nicely.

M: Crisp light-medium body an A+ for this style.

D: When I shock wheat this summer I will bring several cases of this and will drink till its gone. (819 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +28.3%

pours a not-quite transparent golden, tiny bubbles moving through the middle a bit, with an almost-white thick smooth head, could last a bit longer but nice lacing.

smell is relatively clean but nice sweet malt in there with a touch of hop, notable lack of DMS.

taste is all clean pilsner - nice sweet malt balanced with a nice dose of hops. once again, a very notable lack of DMS.. it's almost confusing. i keep going back and looking for it, but it's just not there.

mouthfeel is beautiful - a little less carbonated than a lot of pilsners, but plenty to leave a nice refreshing spark.

drinkability is perhaps the highest i've ever drank.. tastes great, goes down smooth, just a touch of hop on the clean finish just asks for another taste. (746 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, just keep coming back to this one. Poured into a shorty. Has a lively pumpkin glow. Inviting for sure. But what really makes it special is the citrus aroma. It's outstanding with every sip (or gulp). Non of the mustyness that comes with many pills. And the taste is exceptional. Scrimshaw takes you on a nice bright flavor ride before pulling back to a clean satisfying finish. Could drink this one all the time -- wait, i do! (431 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +27.5%

This is my favorite Pilsner. This beer will forever have a place in my heart as one of the most fantastic sessionable beers one can drink.

It has a beautiful straw color and is crystal in appearance.
I have consumed this from the bottle as well as in a glass and I have to say the hops really come out best in a glass. Unlike many pilsners this one has a firm hop profile but not so much in the aroma, however as far as hops go if you're looking for a well balanced lager this is the one for you. This beer has been around for years and it has outsold the BIG THREE on the North Coast year after year.

North Coast local and loyal drinker forever thanks to fantastic beers like this one. (688 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +27.5%

Appearance - Light golden color, with a good white head. Some beer lace.

Smell - Clean, crisp. It has that characteristic lager small, and maybe just a hint of hops.

Taste - Even cleaner and crisper. It is a greast thing to drink a pilsner that is not skunked. This is a great beer to start you macro drinkin' buddies on. It is not too imposing, but the flavor is so very good.

Mouthfeel - Light on the palate, but not watery. I dream about tasting beers like this.

Drinkability - Highly drinkable. This stuff is so smooth it's scary. It finishes clean. Truly an excellent pilsner.

Comments - This is the best pilsner I've ever had. Have you had too many skunked pilsners in green bottles? This is the beer for you. All hail the folks at North Coast Brewing! (773 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pleasantly surprised by this one. Clean drinking and tasting pilsner. Minimal lacing, clear golden color and barley aroma. Just like a pilsner should be. I could drink this one all day. Carbonation was a little on the fizzy side, but did not detract from the experience. (277 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +25.1%

appearance: clear amber color, a good amount of carbonation visible, light cream colored head

smell: orange citrus, slight malt aroma, grassy hop, yeast

Taste: barley malt flavor, very little bitterness, sweet citrus flavor, slight hop flavor

Mouth feel: very nice bite, light bodied

overall: very good beer, very drinkable. it balances the flavors well and doesn't leave a bitter aftertaste. good all around beer. (418 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured into a Pilsner glass is clear and golden with a two fingers thick.

Aroma: Lemon zest, biscuity malts, light graininess, citrus hop, wisps of nuttiness.

Taste: Very crisp mouthfeel with a malty dryness. Lemon zest, floral hop, buttery and biscuity.

Notes: Top to bottom this is a remarkable Pilsner a nice dry finish and very sessionable. Cheers. (367 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +24.3%

For the style this beer is amazing. North Coast rules. Acme pale and Old Ras are very good as well. I am the beer manager at a store located in MD and I recommend this beer all the time for anyone who drinks any style of beer. Surely a favorite to many. (253 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +23.8%

Pours an efferevescent bronze with 3 fingers of fluffy white head. This beer looks fantastic in Paulaner Pils glass! Very good lacing & good head retention

S: Herbal & soapy hops

T: Citric hops, grainyness (that works) & honey malt up front. Herbal hops & malt sweetness follos as this warms. Finishes bready, slightly dry, with lemony hops & a fantastic crispness

MF: Medium bodied, perfectly balanced& excellent carbonation

Great drinkability, easy to session due to the low abv, yet full of great pils flavor. Had this before & it didn't impress me. I think finally came across some that's fresh (no packaging dates to verify this). Maybe a little pricey @$7.99 a sixer, but worth a look, I'd say this compares favorably with many german & czech competitors (773 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Clear gold body. Thin white head. Thin silk lace.

Smell - Candy sweet. Smells faintly like pixie stix.

Taste - Earthy, musky corn. Bone dry finish. No off flavors whatsoever.

Mouthfeel - Good, medium body. Plenty of carbonation in the mouth. Moderate effervescence. Slight sticky texture that washes clean in the finish.

Overall Drinkability - Greatness for the style. Best pilsner I've had. (409 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +23.5%

If I was really picky I would say the beer could be a tad more carbonated, other than that this is the best pilsner I have had to date. Very tasty, nice clean hop taste that doesn't overpower the malt flavor. Nice golden color with tiny bubbles. Great taste, goes down incredibly smooth. (287 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Sampling right now on 5/15/14. Ever tried this one before. Great looking label and brown bottle. Part of a 'Make your own 6' for $8.99. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

Pours a hazy gold in color with a good almost 2-finger head that settled down to a think layer on top and sides of the glass. A great deal of lacing is seen, like most German Pilsners. The aroma is mostly of just grass and fresh bread. The taste is well...fantastic! Not overly complicated at all for the taste. Very refreshing and goes down easy with no bitter or harsh aftertaste at all. Very surprised as I wasn't sure of how this one would be overall but very pleased! (702 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The best pilsner I've ever had. I can't find any faults. It has delicious bready, cracker-like malt flavors, balanced by nice, crisp hops. I can drink these all day. Enough complexity to be interesting, but not at the expense of drinkability. (242 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

When fresh there's few beers that are as deliciously sessionable to me as a Scrimshaw. So alas I review it.

It pours a light straw color with a well-retained head in my Sam Adams Boston Lager pint glass. The aroma is a Noble hops, lemon zest and wheatgrass. The tastes starts with the ever slight sweetness of the malts and moves into a fine bitter hop bite. It's simple but delicious.

A go-to beer for many cuisines and many occasions. Fantastic. (449 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +20.9%

Had this on tap at the North Coast Brewery and I thought it was terrific. Very, very refreshing. It was the first time I had this beer. That same night I drank a bottle of it and it was a completely different story. It didn't taste nearly as good. From the tap it had exceptional drinkability but from a bottle it tasted way too carbonated. It was refreshing at all. I would get this beer again if it was from a tap but not from a bottle. (438 characters)

Presentation: 12 ounce bottle

Appearance: Light malt color with mild carbonation and 1 inch thick head that lasts

Smell: Light pilsner malt smell with subtle hop smell

Taste: Grainy malt balanced with hops. Very smooth.

Mouth feel: Medium bodied. Crisp and dry finish

Overall: Very happy I came across this beer. Very nice flavor and refreshing. My new favorite pilsner. (375 characters)

On tap at the B with souped up and Jlynn

A - Yellow with a tinge of orange. Small white head.

S - Smells like fresh loaf of bread sitting in your Grandma's window on a cool Fall day.

T - A very nice balance between sweetness and bitterness. An amazing german pilsner. Love the style and this beer. Only the second I've had from North coast. Between this solid offering and the Old Rasputin I might have to try some more. I've seen a bunch of comments about it being a bit weak in reviews. In my opinion it's very one done for the style. Very subtle and tasty... it's a pilsner not a barrel aged stout.

M - Crisp clean refreshing - perfect level of carbonation

D - Subtle, tasty, nothing harsh at all. This is a tasty beverage. I believe it defines drinkable. (767 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

poured heartily in to pilsner glass.

Frothy white 1 finger head with retention that is very good for pilsner. Very active carbonation. Pale color with slightly orange hue. Amazing head retention even after couple minutes.

Nice big aroma with lots of orange peel. Citrusy and fruity almost tropical.

Flavor is slightly on the malty side with very mild hops. Has a very nice citrus flavor that is of lemons and orange on top of a nice sweet malty backbone.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with good carbonation, refreshing. Clean finish.

Overall and amazing beer. Great complexity of flavor and aroma unlike any in this catagorie I have had before. One of my alltime favorite Pilsners. (685 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

I bought a single bottle of this from Woodman's in Menomonee Falls, WI for about $1.50 in early fall 2010.

This might not be everyone's idea of the best beer, but to me this beer was superb. It has a strong inviting wheat smell and pours a golden yellow with a great head on it. It has a medium body feel that's not too heavy or too light. It goes down well with a smooth delicious taste. Definetly a must try! (411 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +19.8%

Unlike most BAs I have a predisposition for pilsners but the good US microbrewed ones are few and far between. This is at the top of the heap. Brilliant gold with ample head and lace. Delicate, fragrant aroma of flowers and lemon bread. Surprisingly malty for a pilsner although this isn't too far from the Czech version. Tons of flavor. The hops are certainly there but subdued until the very end, when they linger on the tongue and coax you into taking another sip. Soft, cushy mouthfeel. Between that and the head, I am guessing there's some wheat in the recipe. I can't imagine anyone, be it the most intrepid imperial stout loving Beergeek, or the most timid macroswilling bargain-beer-buyer, not finding something to enjoy about this beer. I've had it on tap but I am currently enjoying the bottle more. (809 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

Stubby 12oz bottle served at Stuff Yer Face, New Brunswick. Served with long pilsener glass.

This is my first foray into North Coast and I don't know why. If this is a sign, hell, I need to get me some more North Coast beers.
Bottle Graphics: 8/10.

A: Very bright clear pale yellow body with a fairly robust foam head. Plenty of life on the lacing. Lasted throughout.

S: Mild noble hops flavor balanced with the sweetness of European malts. Smells of fresh spring basil leaves with a musky earthiness. Classic aromas for the style.

T: Very tasty. The caramel base is balanced quite well with the spices. Some fruit flavors with the earthiness create one hell of a complex beer from a very mild and easy drinker. One of the tastiest pilseners I've had in a while. This goes high on the list for taste with Prima and Pikeland.

M: Somewhat resinous for a pils, almost to the extent of a pale ale or something with more layered hops. Still intensely refreshing.

D: Perfectly crisp and cleansing. Marvelous companion to a spicy stromboli. As mentioned, I have ignored North Coast as a brewery and have heard many good things. I have a feeling these claims are founded. Well done pils. (1,185 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

I drank this beer out of my arrogant Bastard pint class. I have very little experience with pilsner's and it happened to be my last beer in my custom made 6 pack. I was not expecting anything out of the ordinary, however i was blown away. Taste is hard to explain, but the easiest way to explain how this beer tasted was clean and to the point. Was brewed like an authentic german pilsner using the German Purity law and it tasted like it. Tasted like it was brewed with real spring water. Light caramel finish with just the right amount of hops. The absolutely only thing that i would saw, for me was that the carbonation was just a tad overwhelming. outstanding beer A+. Coudos to North Coast Brewing company. (711 characters)

Scrimshaw Pilsner from North Coast Brewing Co.