Scrimshaw Pilsner - North Coast Brewing Co.

Scrimshaw PilsnerScrimshaw Pilsner

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

German Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Scrimshaw Pilsner Alström Bros
Sparkyinsurf

04-30-2012 01:41:22 | More by beaulabauve
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

1.95/5  rDev -48.1%

Tap@North Coast. Started off with this one, probably a good one to start of at the North Coast Pub. Pretty much a bland lager, had some odd burnt flavours though, malty. Sorry to slam it as the reviews are quite high here, but i just didn't get into it at all. Thin and kinda boring.

02-19-2005 11:23:36 | More by rastaman

Indiana

05-26-2014 22:30:01 | More by Kyrojack
kristenspaintings

2.1/5  rDev -44.1%

After pouring, this beer smells okay but the head disappears quickly. Initially it tastes bitter and the flavor dies withing seconds after sipping. Thin, watery mouthfeel.

This was my impression before eating, then I ate some slightly sweet stir-fry over rice. This is not a recommended combination. Any sweetness the beer had was completely gone at this point. I'd suggest drinking this beer with something savory/salty to avoid this effect.

My rating is based on my impressions before having any food with it.

02-27-2013 02:19:27 | More by kristenspaintings
Cresant

Kentucky

2.17/5  rDev -42.3%

Poured this 12 oz. undated brown bottle into a pilsner glass. Body was clouded with a chill haze. Butterscotch orange/yellow in color. One finger of white head settled to a slim collar.

Smell was very mild and it took some warming befor I could discern a buttery aroma. Vaguely floral hops and with even more warmth -- grapes. Welch's grape juice. This aroma was completely unexpected but very present.

Taste was creamy. Mineral. Mild malts. Where were the noble hops? Rather un-pilsner-like. Perhaps this was an old bottle but this beer was rather bland.

Mouthfeel was medium to thin bodied. Very minimal carbonation was present. Some zestiness when held in the mouth. I would try this again only if I could determine the freshness.

10-22-2006 20:34:33 | More by Cresant
scooter231

2.2/5  rDev -41.5%

Looks like dirty orange juice, perhaps a mimosa gone wrong. Little head, little lacing. Murky. Scary. Nose is not so icky. Lemon, malts, but something is off in here. Taste is reminiscent of spoiled fruit and rotting garbage. There's still some good in there but you have to sift through the sludge to get there. Mouthfeel is watery and thin. Drinkability is... not so much. This beer and I did not get along.

09-24-2006 05:41:48 | More by scooter231
sellmeagod

2.23/5  rDev -40.7%

I'm not a pilsner fan in general, but this is certainly not one to get excited about.

Boring pour with light coloration. Smells alright, but that's probably because there's almost nothing to smell.

Sure it's a 4.4 abv little wimp, but even then the taste is lacking. Watery is an understatement. It feels like drinking club soda. You can drink it quick, though.

08-30-2010 00:49:52 | More by sellmeagod
grapemaster

2.25/5  rDev -40.2%

The beer poured out a decent color. Smell was light citrus.
Minimal carbonation, kinda like an afterthought.
Overall I wasn't happy with the beer. It reminded me of Blue Moon far too much. This I found disturbing because I was under the impression I was drinking a Pilsner, not a watered down wheat beer.

10-21-2009 19:59:53 | More by grapemaster

Alberta (Canada)

07-20-2014 14:44:31 | More by Howlader
BeerBelcher

2.25/5  rDev -40.2%

I was rather unimpressed with this pilsner. It was very malty, lacked much in the way of hop character, and tasted a bit cardboard-y to me.

I had this at a hotel bar during some recent travel. The bottle has no packaging or pull date, so I’m left to assume it was fresh from the brewery.

This beer poured an amber color in my pint glass with a pretty abundant head of large bubbles. Aroma was faintly of hops, but also had a fair amount of somewhat caramel-y maltiness. Flavor was disappointingly not bitter, and had strong malt and wet brown cardboard flavors. Mouthfeel was unremarkable.

There are a lot of great beers out there, but I wouldn’t include this one among them based on this experience. Not recommended.

10-30-2007 22:28:08 | More by BeerBelcher
oriolesfan4

Maryland

2.25/5  rDev -40.2%

The same brewery that makes Old Rasputin makes this beer as well??? Oy vey. I have to say, I didn't like this at all. I hope I just got an old bottle or something. Picked up a single of this because of the cool looking label and I like pilseneres so it seemed like a good idea. Pours a yellow color with ZERO head.. and I mean zero, like I haven't seen anything like it.. no lacing either (obviously). Taste is kind of sour and doesn't have a good mouthfeel at all.. had this following a Prima Pils and the difference was very apparent. Would not prefer to try again, like I said I hope it was just a bad bottle I got.

02-10-2009 00:38:03 | More by oriolesfan4
TheAlamoWrocker

2.35/5  rDev -37.5%

Reviewed December 30, 2011. Poured a 12 bottle into a flute glass.

A: Poured an impressive 2.5 fingered creamy head. The body was a golden amber with carbonation rising quickly.

S: Smells slightly hop, but with a strong background of grains. The best thing of the smell is that it carries a nice honey sweetness.

T: This taste is not your regular hoppy beers. It comes in with a light hopness goes, then into a unpleasant taste and ends with a slight light bitterness at the end.

M: This feels very light, but it bites crisply.

O: This is a beer that reminds me of a macro. North Coast makes some great brews, but this is something that could be passed on.

12-30-2011 09:50:45 | More by TheAlamoWrocker
ommegangpbr

2.35/5  rDev -37.5%

Not very pilsner like to me. This tastes quite a bit like watered down Pranqster. Quite fragrant but again, not very pils like. Watered down cider comes to mind. Pours nearly without a head into a weisse glass and the color is typical lager fare.
Not crisp at all, not carbonated enough... the six pack was fresh, too (no freshness date on the bottle but the place I got it from just got this in stock).
Nah, not for me.

04-12-2006 01:19:26 | More by ommegangpbr
Murrdogg

2.4/5  rDev -36.2%

A light and golden, no lacing, small head

S It took a while for me to get any scent from this elusive ale.. maaybe a slight tropical smell on the back of the nose, but other than that, I didnt get a thing

T lighter, as I expected for a pilsner, and slight typical pilsner taste. slight hop and maybe a touch of citrus at the end

M light, clean and smooth.. It paired very nicely with a hot and spicy dish

D Very easy to drink, and light. I did not get too much taste or smell, which some people would enjoy, but I like a more robust taste. I could drink many of these in one sitting, but would probably choose something with more obvious tastes and complexities

02-03-2011 03:57:25 | More by Murrdogg
jcalabre

2.42/5  rDev -35.6%

I originally sampled this beer on 19 June 2002. I am writing this reveiw from my notes. I admit that I'm not a big fan of pilseners. However, I actually happen to like Victory Prima Pils and Dogfish Head Prescription Pils. This beer is nowhere close to either of these. It would pass as an OK lawnmower beer.

08-30-2003 04:36:33 | More by jcalabre
TheBigBoy

03-10-2013 22:42:43 | More by TheBigBoy
smi

04-14-2012 01:30:51 | More by smi
tmm313

Georgia

05-11-2014 22:23:32 | More by tmm313
Scrimshaw Pilsner from North Coast Brewing Co.