Scrimshaw Pilsner - North Coast Brewing Co.

Scrimshaw PilsnerScrimshaw Pilsner

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

German Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Scrimshaw Pilsner Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,714 | Reviews: 678
1.95/5  rDev -48.3%

Tap@North Coast. Started off with this one, probably a good one to start of at the North Coast Pub. Pretty much a bland lager, had some odd burnt flavours though, malty. Sorry to slam it as the reviews are quite high here, but i just didn't get into it at all. Thin and kinda boring.

2.12/5  rDev -43.8%

After pouring, this beer smells okay but the head disappears quickly. Initially it tastes bitter and the flavor dies withing seconds after sipping. Thin, watery mouthfeel.

This was my impression before eating, then I ate some slightly sweet stir-fry over rice. This is not a recommended combination. Any sweetness the beer had was completely gone at this point. I'd suggest drinking this beer with something savory/salty to avoid this effect.

My rating is based on my impressions before having any food with it.

2.18/5  rDev -42.2%

Poured this 12 oz. undated brown bottle into a pilsner glass. Body was clouded with a chill haze. Butterscotch orange/yellow in color. One finger of white head settled to a slim collar.

Smell was very mild and it took some warming befor I could discern a buttery aroma. Vaguely floral hops and with even more warmth -- grapes. Welch's grape juice. This aroma was completely unexpected but very present.

Taste was creamy. Mineral. Mild malts. Where were the noble hops? Rather un-pilsner-like. Perhaps this was an old bottle but this beer was rather bland.

Mouthfeel was medium to thin bodied. Very minimal carbonation was present. Some zestiness when held in the mouth. I would try this again only if I could determine the freshness.

2.24/5  rDev -40.6%

I'm not a pilsner fan in general, but this is certainly not one to get excited about.

Boring pour with light coloration. Smells alright, but that's probably because there's almost nothing to smell.

Sure it's a 4.4 abv little wimp, but even then the taste is lacking. Watery is an understatement. It feels like drinking club soda. You can drink it quick, though.

2.24/5  rDev -40.6%

Looks like dirty orange juice, perhaps a mimosa gone wrong. Little head, little lacing. Murky. Scary. Nose is not so icky. Lemon, malts, but something is off in here. Taste is reminiscent of spoiled fruit and rotting garbage. There's still some good in there but you have to sift through the sludge to get there. Mouthfeel is watery and thin. Drinkability is... not so much. This beer and I did not get along.

2.26/5  rDev -40.1%

I was rather unimpressed with this pilsner. It was very malty, lacked much in the way of hop character, and tasted a bit cardboard-y to me.

I had this at a hotel bar during some recent travel. The bottle has no packaging or pull date, so I’m left to assume it was fresh from the brewery.

This beer poured an amber color in my pint glass with a pretty abundant head of large bubbles. Aroma was faintly of hops, but also had a fair amount of somewhat caramel-y maltiness. Flavor was disappointingly not bitter, and had strong malt and wet brown cardboard flavors. Mouthfeel was unremarkable.

There are a lot of great beers out there, but I wouldn’t include this one among them based on this experience. Not recommended.

2.27/5  rDev -39.8%

The same brewery that makes Old Rasputin makes this beer as well??? Oy vey. I have to say, I didn't like this at all. I hope I just got an old bottle or something. Picked up a single of this because of the cool looking label and I like pilseneres so it seemed like a good idea. Pours a yellow color with ZERO head.. and I mean zero, like I haven't seen anything like it.. no lacing either (obviously). Taste is kind of sour and doesn't have a good mouthfeel at all.. had this following a Prima Pils and the difference was very apparent. Would not prefer to try again, like I said I hope it was just a bad bottle I got.

2.3/5  rDev -39%

The beer poured out a decent color. Smell was light citrus.
Minimal carbonation, kinda like an afterthought.
Overall I wasn't happy with the beer. It reminded me of Blue Moon far too much. This I found disturbing because I was under the impression I was drinking a Pilsner, not a watered down wheat beer.

2.37/5  rDev -37.1%

Reviewed December 30, 2011. Poured a 12 bottle into a flute glass.

A: Poured an impressive 2.5 fingered creamy head. The body was a golden amber with carbonation rising quickly.

S: Smells slightly hop, but with a strong background of grains. The best thing of the smell is that it carries a nice honey sweetness.

T: This taste is not your regular hoppy beers. It comes in with a light hopness goes, then into a unpleasant taste and ends with a slight light bitterness at the end.

M: This feels very light, but it bites crisply.

O: This is a beer that reminds me of a macro. North Coast makes some great brews, but this is something that could be passed on.

2.41/5  rDev -36.1%

I originally sampled this beer on 19 June 2002. I am writing this reveiw from my notes. I admit that I'm not a big fan of pilseners. However, I actually happen to like Victory Prima Pils and Dogfish Head Prescription Pils. This beer is nowhere close to either of these. It would pass as an OK lawnmower beer.

2.42/5  rDev -35.8%

A light and golden, no lacing, small head

S It took a while for me to get any scent from this elusive ale.. maaybe a slight tropical smell on the back of the nose, but other than that, I didnt get a thing

T lighter, as I expected for a pilsner, and slight typical pilsner taste. slight hop and maybe a touch of citrus at the end

M light, clean and smooth.. It paired very nicely with a hot and spicy dish

D Very easy to drink, and light. I did not get too much taste or smell, which some people would enjoy, but I like a more robust taste. I could drink many of these in one sitting, but would probably choose something with more obvious tastes and complexities

2.42/5  rDev -35.8%

Not very pilsner like to me. This tastes quite a bit like watered down Pranqster. Quite fragrant but again, not very pils like. Watered down cider comes to mind. Pours nearly without a head into a weisse glass and the color is typical lager fare.
Not crisp at all, not carbonated enough... the six pack was fresh, too (no freshness date on the bottle but the place I got it from just got this in stock).
Nah, not for me.

2.54/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

No freshness dating found.

A= Pours a slightly hazy yellowish orange color with a small white head that holds steady retention as a skin and some spotty lacing.

S= Smells interesting. It has a typical macro "beer" smell to it but then an overlying sweetness. Tons of sweetness to it. The sweetness is ugly. No hops detected in the nose.

T= The taste isn't quite as bad as the smell. I got a basic beer taste with just a touch of sweetness that's over the top. It's sort an unfermented wort sweetness. Tastes a lot like I just pulled a sip off of the lauter. Interesting. Grainy and husky tasting. Again no hop bitterness.

M= About average. Maybe a little low on the carbonation making its flavor stick to my tongue a little longer than usual.

O= Not a fan of this beer I'm sorry to say. Overly sweet in an unfermented sort of way. I prolly won't buy this again.

2.58/5  rDev -31.6%

*did not mind would not buy*

app: slight haze golden normal beer nice full head with neat slow spaced bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass

smell: heavy thick smelling golden malt smells with a slight toasted/trash smell small spice, and some lil bits of floral hops.

taste: all the nose is also in the mouth. hops are more pronounced up front. there is a thickness maybe the butter flavor a bit in the malts and yeast. a bit boaring. and a bit of trash in it.

mf: to thick and coating

drinkable?: sure, not enjoyable but drinkable for sure.

2.6/5  rDev -31%

12oz stubby bottle.
Poored a straw to gold color. Tall foamy white head.
Faint hop aroma.
Little to no malt flavor with some citrus notes that quickly fade. The carbonic bite overpoweres anything else that might be here. Almost an Alka-Seltzer taste on the finish but still drinkable. Very high dollar for the beer in my opinion. I'm not a Pils guy and this has convinced me to stay of that persuassion. If you're thinking of this one, you can get a Miller Lite for 25% of the money.

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

I'll be brief with this one. IMO, pils have a very narrow flavor profile -- you either get it or you don't. This, er... don't. I found the flavor weak and a bit off. The appearance is nice, a bit deeper gold than most, and the body is appropriately crisp and light, but in the end, alas, it just didn't happen. Great brewery, mediocre offering.

2.66/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Just tried it in the Wynn in Vegas, draught, excellent food beer. Refreshing, clean and satisfying.

2.67/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured from a bottle into a glass mug. The serving temperature was around 42 degrees.

A: nice pale yellow typical of the style with minimal head but a small amount of lacing.

S: pine and citrus with some faint hop notes, pleasant

T: slighty fruity with biscuit and hop notes at the end, much better than any mass produced pils

M: light to medium mouthfeel, pretty full for a pilsener

D: good beer, not spectacular, would drink again but only one or two at a time

Definitely recommend giving it a try.

2.71/5  rDev -28.1%

A - light golden color, very very clear, light head dissipated almost immediately

S - little to no aroma, weak malt smells remind me of spilled lager on a tile floor

T - mostly malt at the forefront, with barely discernible hops, and a slightly banana aftertaste

M - crisp, but not as refreshing as I'd hoped

D - I love a good pilsner but this left me underwhelmed, just not enough flavor and character

2.71/5  rDev -28.1%

Tried from a bottle at the Local Taphouse. At first thought it had been poorly stored/aged too much but a fellow BA who had it fresh in CA noted very similar characters so I'm determining this review valid. Will try this beer again and reevaluate regardless.

Pours a dark orange colour - slightly too dark for a pils - with nice off-white head, fluffy on top and retaining well. Slight haze, no visible bead.

Smell is quite malty with a slight stone fruit tang on the front, and then light cereal grain coming out at the back, puffed rice with cinnamon and honey. Too sweet, really; needs more hops.

Taste is very sweet and grainy. Cereal with puffed rice, corn and lots of honey sweetness. Touch of wet cardboard as well, making me think this is a bit old. Too sweet, and has a slight adjuncty taste to it. Most of the bitterness on the back is due to carbonation rather than distinct hop presence. Sorry North Coast but I'm not enjoying this.

Decent body, too dry and snappy at the back from the fizz. Have had more interesting and pleasantly textured beer.

Yeah, finding this slightly deficient mostly in the pilsener stakes. The hop character is just not assertive enough and as a result a weird adjuncty grain note comes through instead.

2.71/5  rDev -28.1%

This was one of the new beers on tap at my favourite watering hole, so I had to give it a try. It appeared a light golden colour in the glass with a thin white layer of foam across the top. No too much of an aroma detectable. It certainly looked like it was going to be a nice refreshing beer to drink on a hot Houston day. The taste, however, was not what I was expecting. It had an odd earthy, grainy, burnt wood flavour that just didn't seem to fit. Mouthfeel was a little thin with a slightly dry finish. Perhaps it tastes better in the bottle then from the tap, but its probably not a beer that I'll order again.

2.72/5  rDev -27.9%

Overrated.
Appearance: yellow/gold, clear, but a ONE finger head that dissipated quickly leaving no lacing whatsoever
Smell: Mild, generic malt/hop aromas, nothing stands out
Taste: I could not distinguish anything about it's taste that placed it above your average macro
Mouthfeel: probably the most disappointing aspect, WATERY.
Drinkability: spend half the dough and by a sixer of PBR
I tried this beer three times before ripping it, I really tried to like it.

2.77/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a single finger deep foamy head that dissipates in about a minute. A good number of mid-sized bubbles line the glass and stream upward. The color is a somewhat cloudy golden yellow. Pleasant toasty malt smell with noticeable citrusy hops. Tastes fruity and sweet to start, moves into some toasty malt, but is then overtaken by an unpleasant alcohol quality. Medium to full bodied, this beer is pretty "in your face." It's kind of rough with a lot of hoppy bitterness. Overall, this "pilsner style" brew doesn't seem to be properly balanced and as such won't find it's way back into my refrigerator.

2.78/5  rDev -26.3%

Generous, if delicate, bone white head, thickness complemented by sticky lacing. Light brass orange color, fading to yellow where glass tapers off. Lowkey persistence in the nose, with sourdough, wild yeasts and wet straw, lemon oil and rock salt, becomes more herbaceous as it warms, however, the citrus scents never get past a barely audible mutter. Light-bodied to watery, minimal palate presence, leans heavily on the bitterness and sour grassiness to remind you it's there. The carbonation not helping, keeps the flavors from settling in and elevate texture of Pellegrino thing. Pretzel dough, rye bread, the malts appear to offer naught but a softening effect on the overall texture. As it finishes there's a moment of pink grapefruit and orange citrus but it's totally dry. It either has to be a lot crisper or offer more flavor diversity to excel in its category.

2.8/5  rDev -25.7%

Appearance: This beer is a deep golden yellow with slight orange highlights. There is a slight chill haze to the beer and a beautiful snowy white pure head.

Smell: This beer smells of rich bready malt. There is a slight caramel sweetness light a light soda or flat coke. Grains definitely are the dominate aroma in this beverage.

Taste: This beer taste of apricots and fresh milled grain. There is a slight hop bitterness but primarily it's a two note wonder with a battle between dried apricots and grain.

Mouthfeel: This beer has more body that I expect and fairly high carbonation. The carbonation is biting on the front of the tongue and is definitely felt after the swallow.

Drinkability: I could kick back a few of these, but it is honestly not as light or crisp as I would expect from a Pilsner.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I was really expecting more from this beer. The beer though lack is complexity and truly lacks in the crisp fresh feeling I want from a nice Pils. I would say it's worth a try if you can find a single bottle. However, if you have to get a six pack look for another Pils out there.

Scrimshaw Pilsner from North Coast Brewing Co.