Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale - North Coast Brewing Co.

Ruedrich's Red Seal AleRuedrich's Red Seal Ale

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-16-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale Alström Bros
clvand0

Kentucky

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

This beer pours a dark amber color with a small head and almost no lacing on the glass. The aroma is nice - some spices and maybe a little orange. The flavor is nice and hoppy with some US hops with some caramel as well. The body is moderate and the drinkability is ok

07-23-2003 02:28:21 | More by clvand0
Shiredave

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Amber with hues of deep orange and a dense, off white heads with tenacious cling.
Aroma is amazing; rich caramel and honey blended with earthy, citrusy west coast hops.
Lush grain sweetness with smooth , nearly medium bodied mouth feel. Fruity, toasty malt flavor stands up to the navel orange and pine cone flavors which mesh impeccably and roll easily over the tongue and down the hatch. Nicely hoppy, fruity aftertaste.
Incredibly drinkable and a mainstay in my fridge for every day drinking and offering to ( sometimes uninitiated) visitors.
A perfect starter beer for the new commer to craft beer.

07-14-2003 20:25:59 | More by Shiredave
aaronh

Served in a pint glass, this reddish orange beer was topped by an off-white head the clung tenatiously to the sides of the glass. The lace looked like little lines of plaster on the glass. The aroma was a good balance of caramel maltiness and sharp hops. The taste was also very well balanced, with just a bit of sweetness slipping between the very smooth hoppiness. Long, lingering bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is also enjoyable, and this 20 oz glass didn't last long in front of me. I've bypassed this beer for a long time, and now wish I would have given it the respect it deserves. This is a very solid session beer. Truly good in every respect.

07-14-2003 17:42:44 | More by aaronh
Reidrover

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

heard a lot of good things about this one..so picked up a single.
12 oz brown short neck..rather odd and sick looking red seal on label.
the beer looks very nice in my pint glass..dark orange..with a smallish but dense off white head..that shrinks to a film..but good lacing.
Nice hoppy aroma..but I can also make out faintly roasted chocolate style malts.
Very nice tasting pale..malty and hoppy and well balanced between the two..the finish is quick.
Very pleasant on the tongue smooth and creamy for a pale ale.
Very drinkablle stuff indeed

07-11-2003 23:11:24 | More by Reidrover
Loki

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Sampled on tap at 1740 Tap Room in Greensboro, NC.

Poured a clear amber with a big off-white head. Left ribbons of lacing throughout the glass.

Aromas of hops and malt with hints of fruit.

Full bodied and very creamy with sweet malt up top that is quickly knocked out of the way by the hops. Slightly spicy, definitely bitter and all hops. Raw hops that finish somewhat dry, but are balanced on the end again by a slight sweet malt finish and some alcohol notes. Very nice, orginially I didn't not like this ale before I became more accustome to hops. This is a hop heads pale/red ale dream. Great brew.

07-11-2003 06:41:32 | More by Loki
Rumrunner

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

12 Oz. bottle.
This is an ale that I frequently purchase. It pours a nice deep transparant copper color. Not too much of a head. The scent is medium crisp with fruit and rind qualities. One can feel the carbonation in the smell.

The mouthfeel is fresh with a hint of over carbonation. The over carbonation mellows after a few minutes. It has a medium bitterness. The hops are apparent but not overpowering. This allows the malt to blend evenly. The flavors are floural hops with a grapefruit flavor. Even a little bitter bite like a grapefruit. It finishes dry and crisp.

I enjoy this ale. It is definately worth a try. North Coast, "Keep em' coming."

07-03-2003 00:05:55 | More by Rumrunner
Indybeer

Indiana

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

12 oz bottle. Pours a cloudy amber, with a smallish head, that quickly receded. Some lace on the glass. Aroma is all hops. Taste is just the right blend of sweetness, and hop bitterness. smooth clean finish. Very good mouthfeel, a very good session beer.

06-22-2003 18:10:47 | More by Indybeer
LarryKemp

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

This beer poured a nice amber that was clear and offset well by its relatively thick white head. The lace clung to the side of the glass long into the beer session. The aroma was of hops as was the taste. It did not overpower me. Of course I had just finished an IPA and a Loft both of which come much hoppier. The citrus still makes the top of my mouth dry and I left the bar an hour ago. It is a good pale ale one that I would recommend someone trying to find an example of style.

06-18-2003 19:58:26 | More by LarryKemp
kindestcut

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Hoppity do dah! I didn't do my research here and so I was very surprised. I was expected a red/amber ale and got a pale ale instead....which is what I should have been expecting if I had read the damn bottle!

So, my review should be titled "For an amber, Red Seal is an excellent pale ale!" It really is a good beer.

Red Seal pours a clear, bright amber. The off-white head is large and active. It dissipated to a workable, one-finger rather quickly.

The aroma is very evident which is enticing and makes for a nice beer-drinking moment. The hops are dominant, with a fruity aroma seeping through.

The flavor is also dominated by hops bitterness. I do detect a malty undercurrent but the pale ale bitterness is the star of this show. I really like this beer but I wouldn't call it easy drinking. It's like listening to Stravinsky...I think more than enjoy. That's not a knock, it's just not a simple beer.

A good beer, however, and one that I know I will have again. My plan is to start with something milder and finish with the Red Seal.

06-16-2003 06:08:57 | More by kindestcut
marburg

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Pretty straight-up American pale ale, a la Sierra Nevada and Co.. Hop bitterness is detectable in the nose via some citrus fruits and an kitchen herb garden from across the room. Bitter throughout with a crisp, quick, dry finish. The hops definitely push the malt aside a little. Flavorful but not overkill, this is an easy-drinker. Not at all balanced as far as I'm concerned -- this is hop attack after hop attack after hop attack from first scent to last drop. Very crisp.

06-10-2003 17:15:29 | More by marburg
RBorsato

4.9/5  rDev +25.6%

Copper with a full pillowy tan head, good carbonation, and good lace. Excellent citrusy hop aroma. Nice hoppy flavor with a good malt balance but much more hoppy like an American Pale Ale/IPA. Light-medium bodied with a bitter finish.

A classic staple brew !!

($23.99 / case)

06-04-2003 10:49:43 | More by RBorsato
pezoids

4.8/5  rDev +23.1%

This is a truly great beer! I knew, after the first sip, i knew that this was a finely crafted brew. Poured out a bright amber color and had a thin and creamy white head. Big citrus hop aroma with hints of flowers there too. Nice malt body beneath all those hops with some oak and caramel coming through. Finishes very clean, crisp and dry. Very tasty! An excellent beer that's almost perfect in my book.

05-28-2003 11:40:55 | More by pezoids
nomad

Kansas

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured a nice red-amber color with a big rocky head, looked like cavernous limestone. Had some lace and some nice small bits of stain.

Scents were big: fruit and floral hops, specifically of peaches. Not much beyond that, simply big scents of fruit and florals, and good ones at that.

Tasted red as a red ale, if you catch my drift... First flavor is a sweet lick up front, then it slid back to tasty bitter: salty, drying, acrid fruity, great stuff. Like it smells, simply a very pleasing malt and hops. These two big halves (malt and hops) are big on their own but blend together to create a milder experience; yet, I never lose the big tastes either. It all aided the drinkability.

Had a solid session-ale mouthfeel and a moderate length dry finish that left salty and leafy bitterness behind. Very tasty as you can smell and taste the high quality ingredients and craftmanship. Easily a favorite for me in the everyday kind of ale category.

05-27-2003 14:34:37 | More by nomad
SchmichaelJ

3.9/5  rDev 0%

After consuming nearly two cases of my own homebrewed red ale, I was a little tired of the style. I worried about my objectivity, and fairness in rating this one. But overall, the Red Seal met or exceeded any expectations for the style, and I enjoyed it. From the bottle, it poured a light red, almost orange color. A majestic appearance, it held a thin but fluffy head, and really impressive lacing. A pretty nice hop bouquet was evident in the smell, with just the right touch of malt. Interesting grapefruit or banana smell somewhere in there, too. The taste held a nice hoppiness...bitter but counterbalanced well by a sweeter malt presence. It reminded me somewhat of an IPA with obvious red ale characteristics. The crisp, clean mouthfeel was full of flavor, and nice and fizzy on the tongue. My homebrew didn't kill my taste for the red ale, and the Red Seal has kept me interested in this appealing style.

05-16-2003 08:48:53 | More by SchmichaelJ
BeerResearcher

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Dark amber with an orange hue. The off-white head is frothy and foamy and fades to a thin covering. The lace hangs around awhile and sticks in a few places. The sweet malt and fresh hops vie for king of aroma. The caramel malt is sweet and a little doughy. Citrusy and floral hops are in abundance and well conceived and expertly executed. The brew is well balanced and very drinkable. Improves throughout!

05-12-2003 19:20:43 | More by BeerResearcher
dwarbi

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Copper-red beer. The head fades quickly, but provides excellent lacing. Smells a little of hops and some berries, too. It's also sweet: like a good peach, not like candy. Very crisp. It's the most drinkable red I've had.
*I also reviewed this beer in bottle and cask-conditioned... in my opinion, the draught is the way to go.

05-11-2003 16:09:00 | More by dwarbi
JohnnyDuvel

I can see why micro-ale lovers rate this beer high. A good, quality pale ale. Looks good, tastes good. Overall, too bitter for my tastes. Has a nice malt profile to go with the hops, but as with many other quality American Ales, too much hop. It gave me cottonmouth. When I'm in the mood for the style, I would drink this again. Nice beer.
(almost three years later, I finally tried this again. What a difference three years makes. Not bitter or dry, a very nice Amber. I'll have to test it against Dead Guy and a couple others of the style, but this is one "good drinkin' beer!"

04-27-2003 20:19:25 | More by JohnnyDuvel
BierReise

3.08/5  rDev -21%

I've heard good things about this ale so I gave it a shot on a recommendation. Poured a copper red with a short but adequate beige head that dissapeared quickly. A surprisingly malty ale and a little heavy on the bittering. Noticed an immediate bitterness at the back of my throat and a slight aftertaste I didn't care for. Slightly higher in carbonation than other ales I've had recently in the same style. Has a wonderful creamy mouthfeel to it, although the bitter aftertaste will probably prevent me from buying again.

04-24-2003 16:39:55 | More by BierReise
goz

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Pour is a medium red, with a medium sized, medium diminishing white head that leaves good lacing. Aroma is floral, piney, grassy, and citrus from the hops, with some mild caramel maltiness in the back. Flavor has light caramel start, some apple poked through in the middle, and then a bunch of hops come in to leave a wonderfull bitter and lingering aftertaste.

04-17-2003 13:41:24 | More by goz
yen157

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

White head with some sticking power. Bubbles are a mix of tiny and medium, with some really big ones thrown in. An orange amber brew with some chill haze and only an occasional bubble rising to the surface. Nose consists of sweet and toasted malt and fruity hops. Malt didn’t play out as large as I had expected, but this doesn’t mean that it was a hop driven brew. (OK, maybe it was) Sweet and toasty up front, but then the cavalcade of hop flavor begins: citrus, rind, and perfume. Some toastiness pops out at the end reassuring the tenuous balance. Carbonation was medium, but much larger than it appeared and body was medium to full.

A good beer. It was not what I expected, but it was a very good beer.

04-17-2003 06:59:24 | More by yen157
AtLagerHeads

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

The beer pours a nice color with a good head to start, but disappoints quickly after that. The amber / copper color is quite hazy and though the head starts out ample enough and a great looking golden tan, it dissipates very quickly into a very porous honeycomb that collapses to nothing after the first sip. There is virtually no lacing.

The nose is highly hopped and gives just a hint of malt. Taste is much the same with a high level of bitterness. Good body and some cream sense, but a long bitter aftertaste takes away from the overall enjoyment. IMHO this is an OK beer but rated too highly in the style.

04-09-2003 18:14:17 | More by AtLagerHeads
Jdiddy

Rhode Island

Pored a nice orange/copper/red color. Nice head that lasted a brief time. The aroma is that of yeast and malt. I noticed a strong floral taste that hit me right away. That is followed up by a nice hop bite. There are quite a number of tastes which makes it hard to categorize. I call it delicious!

03-31-2003 15:43:17 | More by Jdiddy
zerk

3.9/5  rDev 0%

This beer pours a chill hazed copper with a thin white head. Aroma is full of floral and citrus esters. Flavor begins malty, with a slightly sweet biscuity flavor, then some citrus notes, and a grassy bitter finish. Has medium body and medium carbonation.

This is a nicely done beer, that melds english and west coast hop characteristics.

03-31-2003 10:04:16 | More by zerk
ElGuapo

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

A reddish copper colored brew with a great pillow of off-white foam on top. Immediately you are struck with a wonderful aroma of hops and sweet malts blended together marvelously.

A delicious blend of hops here. Just enough spiciness to keep the hops in domination at the start. Then the taste begins to get malty and it is just great. I did not use to like red ales, but I have really started to get a liking for them with the help of Humble Patience and this brew. Very smooth with light carbonation, this is a great beer to drink. You could definitely have a few at a sitting.

03-20-2003 09:21:24 | More by ElGuapo
elmocoso

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

What a great head on this rusty-red ale. Thick, billowy, bulbous and keeps on going. Every swirl creates a nice crevicy blanket. It is off-white.

The color of the beer is also something to be admired. As i gaze deep inside this beer i see tiny particles cascading in opposition to the rising bubbles of CO2. What a lava lamp of intoxication. What are those particles? i wonder. They are not frightening, like the particles i've found in other beers (see beer down the drain thread)

There is also a great aroma coming of this beer - Hoppy, malty - well balanced.

This beer tastes better as it warms up. It is well rounded, both modest and aggressive. Very tasty! I wish I had another.

The drinkability of this beer is very high. It is a beer to be enjoyed without pretense. It is very available to the consumer and the palate. I recommend this beer whole-heartedly.

el_mocoso

03-19-2003 21:16:21 | More by elmocoso
Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale from North Coast Brewing Co.