Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale - North Coast Brewing Co.

Ruedrich's Red Seal AleRuedrich's Red Seal Ale

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-16-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,935 | Reviews: 983
3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer poured a nice amber that was clear and offset well by its relatively thick white head. The lace clung to the side of the glass long into the beer session. The aroma was of hops as was the taste. It did not overpower me. Of course I had just finished an IPA and a Loft both of which come much hoppier. The citrus still makes the top of my mouth dry and I left the bar an hour ago. It is a good pale ale one that I would recommend someone trying to find an example of style.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Hoppity do dah! I didn't do my research here and so I was very surprised. I was expected a red/amber ale and got a pale ale instead....which is what I should have been expecting if I had read the damn bottle!

So, my review should be titled "For an amber, Red Seal is an excellent pale ale!" It really is a good beer.

Red Seal pours a clear, bright amber. The off-white head is large and active. It dissipated to a workable, one-finger rather quickly.

The aroma is very evident which is enticing and makes for a nice beer-drinking moment. The hops are dominant, with a fruity aroma seeping through.

The flavor is also dominated by hops bitterness. I do detect a malty undercurrent but the pale ale bitterness is the star of this show. I really like this beer but I wouldn't call it easy drinking. It's like listening to Stravinsky...I think more than enjoy. That's not a knock, it's just not a simple beer.

A good beer, however, and one that I know I will have again. My plan is to start with something milder and finish with the Red Seal.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Pretty straight-up American pale ale, a la Sierra Nevada and Co.. Hop bitterness is detectable in the nose via some citrus fruits and an kitchen herb garden from across the room. Bitter throughout with a crisp, quick, dry finish. The hops definitely push the malt aside a little. Flavorful but not overkill, this is an easy-drinker. Not at all balanced as far as I'm concerned -- this is hop attack after hop attack after hop attack from first scent to last drop. Very crisp.

4.9/5  rDev +26%

Copper with a full pillowy tan head, good carbonation, and good lace. Excellent citrusy hop aroma. Nice hoppy flavor with a good malt balance but much more hoppy like an American Pale Ale/IPA. Light-medium bodied with a bitter finish.

A classic staple brew !!

Per NCBC website:
Style: Pale Ale
Color: Amber
Bitterness: 45 IBU's
ABV: 5.5%

($23.99 / case)

4.77/5  rDev +22.6%

This is a truly great beer! I knew, after the first sip, i knew that this was a finely crafted brew. Poured out a bright amber color and had a thin and creamy white head. Big citrus hop aroma with hints of flowers there too. Nice malt body beneath all those hops with some oak and caramel coming through. Finishes very clean, crisp and dry. Very tasty! An excellent beer that's almost perfect in my book.

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured a nice red-amber color with a big rocky head, looked like cavernous limestone. Had some lace and some nice small bits of stain.

Scents were big: fruit and floral hops, specifically of peaches. Not much beyond that, simply big scents of fruit and florals, and good ones at that.

Tasted red as a red ale, if you catch my drift... First flavor is a sweet lick up front, then it slid back to tasty bitter: salty, drying, acrid fruity, great stuff. Like it smells, simply a very pleasing malt and hops. These two big halves (malt and hops) are big on their own but blend together to create a milder experience; yet, I never lose the big tastes either. It all aided the drinkability.

Had a solid session-ale mouthfeel and a moderate length dry finish that left salty and leafy bitterness behind. Very tasty as you can smell and taste the high quality ingredients and craftmanship. Easily a favorite for me in the everyday kind of ale category.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

After consuming nearly two cases of my own homebrewed red ale, I was a little tired of the style. I worried about my objectivity, and fairness in rating this one. But overall, the Red Seal met or exceeded any expectations for the style, and I enjoyed it. From the bottle, it poured a light red, almost orange color. A majestic appearance, it held a thin but fluffy head, and really impressive lacing. A pretty nice hop bouquet was evident in the smell, with just the right touch of malt. Interesting grapefruit or banana smell somewhere in there, too. The taste held a nice hoppiness...bitter but counterbalanced well by a sweeter malt presence. It reminded me somewhat of an IPA with obvious red ale characteristics. The crisp, clean mouthfeel was full of flavor, and nice and fizzy on the tongue. My homebrew didn't kill my taste for the red ale, and the Red Seal has kept me interested in this appealing style.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Dark amber with an orange hue. The off-white head is frothy and foamy and fades to a thin covering. The lace hangs around awhile and sticks in a few places. The sweet malt and fresh hops vie for king of aroma. The caramel malt is sweet and a little doughy. Citrusy and floral hops are in abundance and well conceived and expertly executed. The brew is well balanced and very drinkable. Improves throughout!

4.48/5  rDev +15.2%

Copper-red beer. The head fades quickly, but provides excellent lacing. Smells a little of hops and some berries, too. It's also sweet: like a good peach, not like candy. Very crisp. It's the most drinkable red I've had.
*I also reviewed this beer in bottle and cask-conditioned... in my opinion, the draught is the way to go.

I can see why micro-ale lovers rate this beer high. A good, quality pale ale. Looks good, tastes good. Overall, too bitter for my tastes. Has a nice malt profile to go with the hops, but as with many other quality American Ales, too much hop. It gave me cottonmouth. When I'm in the mood for the style, I would drink this again. Nice beer.
(almost three years later, I finally tried this again. What a difference three years makes. Not bitter or dry, a very nice Amber. I'll have to test it against Dead Guy and a couple others of the style, but this is one "good drinkin' beer!"

3.08/5  rDev -20.8%

I've heard good things about this ale so I gave it a shot on a recommendation. Poured a copper red with a short but adequate beige head that dissapeared quickly. A surprisingly malty ale and a little heavy on the bittering. Noticed an immediate bitterness at the back of my throat and a slight aftertaste I didn't care for. Slightly higher in carbonation than other ales I've had recently in the same style. Has a wonderful creamy mouthfeel to it, although the bitter aftertaste will probably prevent me from buying again.

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

Pour is a medium red, with a medium sized, medium diminishing white head that leaves good lacing. Aroma is floral, piney, grassy, and citrus from the hops, with some mild caramel maltiness in the back. Flavor has light caramel start, some apple poked through in the middle, and then a bunch of hops come in to leave a wonderfull bitter and lingering aftertaste.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

White head with some sticking power. Bubbles are a mix of tiny and medium, with some really big ones thrown in. An orange amber brew with some chill haze and only an occasional bubble rising to the surface. Nose consists of sweet and toasted malt and fruity hops. Malt didn’t play out as large as I had expected, but this doesn’t mean that it was a hop driven brew. (OK, maybe it was) Sweet and toasty up front, but then the cavalcade of hop flavor begins: citrus, rind, and perfume. Some toastiness pops out at the end reassuring the tenuous balance. Carbonation was medium, but much larger than it appeared and body was medium to full.

A good beer. It was not what I expected, but it was a very good beer.

3.62/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a nice color with a good head to start, but disappoints quickly after that. The amber / copper color is quite hazy and though the head starts out ample enough and a great looking golden tan, it dissipates very quickly into a very porous honeycomb that collapses to nothing after the first sip. There is virtually no lacing.

The nose is highly hopped and gives just a hint of malt. Taste is much the same with a high level of bitterness. Good body and some cream sense, but a long bitter aftertaste takes away from the overall enjoyment. IMHO this is an OK beer but rated too highly in the style.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Pored a nice orange/copper/red color. Nice head that lasted a brief time. The aroma is that of yeast and malt. I noticed a strong floral taste that hit me right away. That is followed up by a nice hop bite. There are quite a number of tastes which makes it hard to categorize. I call it delicious!

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer pours a chill hazed copper with a thin white head. Aroma is full of floral and citrus esters. Flavor begins malty, with a slightly sweet biscuity flavor, then some citrus notes, and a grassy bitter finish. Has medium body and medium carbonation.

This is a nicely done beer, that melds english and west coast hop characteristics.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

A reddish copper colored brew with a great pillow of off-white foam on top. Immediately you are struck with a wonderful aroma of hops and sweet malts blended together marvelously.

A delicious blend of hops here. Just enough spiciness to keep the hops in domination at the start. Then the taste begins to get malty and it is just great. I did not use to like red ales, but I have really started to get a liking for them with the help of Humble Patience and this brew. Very smooth with light carbonation, this is a great beer to drink. You could definitely have a few at a sitting.

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

What a great head on this rusty-red ale. Thick, billowy, bulbous and keeps on going. Every swirl creates a nice crevicy blanket. It is off-white.

The color of the beer is also something to be admired. As i gaze deep inside this beer i see tiny particles cascading in opposition to the rising bubbles of CO2. What a lava lamp of intoxication. What are those particles? i wonder. They are not frightening, like the particles i've found in other beers (see beer down the drain thread)

There is also a great aroma coming of this beer - Hoppy, malty - well balanced.

This beer tastes better as it warms up. It is well rounded, both modest and aggressive. Very tasty! I wish I had another.

The drinkability of this beer is very high. It is a beer to be enjoyed without pretense. It is very available to the consumer and the palate. I recommend this beer whole-heartedly.

el_mocoso

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

This pours a nice tan color. The head was weak. There is a moderate hop nose. The flavor is very strong aggressive hoppiness. If this one is too cold it won't be god. It like a barely wine needs a chance to warm up a bit if served on draft. After warming a bit the flavor is exceptionally well balanced, the malt and hops close the gap and just tickle the palate with complexities. The very bitter after taste tend to linger excessively.

While living in California this summer this beer was at my fingertips, they stalked it at the local grocery store. I somehow managed to pass on it every time we visited to pick up a sixer. Here I am back on the East coast, and I am still able to get it thanks to D's Six Pack. The Red Seal Ale pours amber with and orangish tint, and it's complemented by a nice full cream toned frothy head. The lace forms with the first sip and continues to stick throughout this beer's existence in my pint glass. The aromatic hops leave me wanting to sip on this beer, but there is also some malt sweetness detectable in the background of the aroma. The first sip, very well balanced with the sweetness of the malts attacking my tongue, and the hops being there to wash everything but the mellow bitterness on my tongue. Very enjoyable, complex with a dry finish that makes these flavors all work together very nicely. I am a fan of other brews I tried from North Coast, namingly the Imperial Stout. This proves they have range, with a medium body this beer has a semi chewy mouthfeel. Very drinkable, could picture how this stuff tastes on tap. Wouldn't mind enjoying a few of these at a time, but one is just as enjoyable, well made handcrafted brew here folks.

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

This crimson aquatic mammal goes down in the books as the first great microbrew I ever tried from outside my home region, over a decade ago. It's great taste has always been reliable, and I return to it now, as it's availability is threatened. Have to drink it again, before we lose touch...
Color is dark orange, head is fine, off-white, but a bit short. The nose, however, is in a league of it's own. Bristling with hops, bursting with fruity and spicy notes. Citrus, grapefruit, peach and more. An aggressive, and tasty, hop attack on the palate, suitable malt back-up, but hops are really everywhere and what this delicious ale is all about. Warm, rich, and rewarding, Red Seal is among America's top ale's, hands down.

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

Caramely gold in appearance, topped off with a finger's worth of cakey off-white foam. Light but persistent carbonation cuts up through this clear pour. Wonderful hoppy, floral nose with a bit of spice thrown in for good measure. Malty and full up front with a semi-bitter effervescence that builds and seems to crawl back along the tongue. Fuller in feel than many pale ales but still possesses the requisite crispness. This one was a pleasant surprise; its reasonable price made me expect less.

3.87/5  rDev -0.5%

Noticeable reddish and very cloudy hew once poured into the glass. Just the whispiest of heading bubbles which quickly subsided. Aroma was a great abundance of hoppiness. First taste provided a rather bold bitterness; subsequent sips revealed much more malty character with fine balance. I am not sure of this one; hence my 3.5 taste ranking. I suspect my bottle may have lingered around a bit? My first North Coast Brewing (Mendocina County, CA), hoping some day to try more.

3.93/5  rDev +1%

Pours a clear amber with a small, white, foamy head that comes back with a simple twirl of the glass. The aroma is mostly hops. Malt and hops come through well balanced in the taste. The hops take over quickly and then provide a long bitter aftertaste. It's very crisp and enjoyable though, not overly bitter. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Overall, this is a very refreshing and smooth beer. I will be buying more of this when summertime finally rolls around.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

pours out a hazy, cloudy, darker amber color. thin, wispy head that leaves a nice bit of lace. delicious malty aroma, balanced with some of those aromatic and pungent northwest hops. tastes absolutely delicious....a fine balance between the bready, nutty, caramel laced malts and the chewy citrusy hops. what's nice about this american pale ale is that it seems to lean more on the malts rather than the northwest hops. a nice balance between the two gives way to a nice full mouthfeel. wow is this a fine brew!! full figured body....ample balance...beautiful taste...sweet smelling...smooth finish...teasing aftertaste...high drinkability...what more could you want? a top notch american pale ale. i'll be drinking more of this!

Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale from North Coast Brewing Co.