Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale - North Coast Brewing Co.

Ruedrich's Red Seal AleRuedrich's Red Seal Ale

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-16-1998)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale Alström Bros
nazbotica

Missouri

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

A - This beer pours a nice 1 finger head that holds for a minute or so and leaves specks of lacing on the glass. The beer is a very clear, deep bronze color, more brown than red.

S - The smell is citrusy, as well as a seedy berry note (raspberry or strawberry) with a pleasant malt in the back. Smells a little sour too.

T - I am hit mostly by the hops right off, resiny, citrusy, juicy. It makes my mouth water. The malt is prominent in the middle, but quickly drowned out by a very resiny bitter end. This is probably my least favorite thing about the beer.

M - Part of the harshness of this beer might be due to overcarbonation. It burns almost like a quick gulp of soda. The body is a nice medium, which helps the drinkability.

O - I read a lot of hype over this beer, so I am a little let down. I am particularly fond of good hoppy red/amber ales. I think this could be a little better balanced. However, it is a very crisp, hoppy and refreshing beer, and these are my biggest criteria for a go to beer. Well done, North Coast.

03-26-2011 01:45:05 | More by nazbotica
Snow81

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: Light orange haze

Head: Light tan head that dissipates quickly

Smell: Sweet malty grains with a deep rich citric

Taste: Dark Citric with fresh grass and sweet malts

Weight: Medium to light body and carbonation is high to medium

Finish: Earthiness with fresh grass and a hardy citric that lingers for some time

03-25-2011 05:34:56 | More by Snow81
ntatum

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a reddish amber with about a finger of head.

It has a floral smell with some light caramel and malt.

The taste is a lot lighter than i expected, which makes it refreshing. I get some hoppiness but then the malts come through as toasty and caramel-"ish". It definitely finishes with a bitterness and a metal copperiness, I believe one reviewer called the copperiness "tap water with flavor".

It has a good mouthfeel as it is medium bodied but still refreshing.

Overall, it is a good beer. To me this beer screams that it needs a pairing with a cheese or meat. I definitely think that would make this beer a better experience.

03-19-2011 22:22:47 | More by ntatum
HattedClassic

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Note: Beer bottle was frozen and thawed due to brother's idiot friend turning the mini-fridge up to the max setting. I'm not sure what effect it might have had on the beer so this is just for disclosure.

Appearance: The beer creates a nice a one fingered head that doesn't seem as fluffy as other amber ales have poured. The head dissipates quickly to a light lace sitting on top of the beer. The beer itself has beautiful clear copper red color.

Smell: According to my nose, the hops come out flowery and slightly grapefruitish but leans more towards flowery than grapefruit. The malts can also be detected but less so than the malts.

Taste: I admit that this amber ale is definitely more potent than ones I've had before. The hops taste more towards the citrusy and the mats slightly balance it out so that it's bearable. Beneath the hops and malts, the water used in the mix also stands out. I get a sort of flavored tap water towards the end, which oddly enough works for the beer rather than detract. I think the natural taste of the water might be enhanced by the hops used.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation and fairly crisp. The beer goes down smooth enough with no real viscosity as there should not be given the style. But nothing unexpected.

Drinkability: Definitely drinkable and possible sessionable as well given the ABV content. The unique flavor allows Red Seal to stand out among the other Amber ales. Furthermore, I think that the Red Coast Red Seal is certainly worth a look because it is a good cheap alternative to Oskar Blue's Gordon because of it's price.

03-15-2011 20:41:44 | More by HattedClassic
Preismj

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Picked this up in a 12 pack west coast sampler that my beautiful wife got me as a valentines day gift. Incredible woman.

a: a rusty copper look to it with a soft pour that produced quite a head. head fell quickly and left a weak lace curtain as it went...

s: flowers and bitter hops hit up front, and some citrus whiffs in the tail. this smells inviting and actually quite potent compared to what i expected to smell

t: much more of a hop taste than i anticipated. floral taste, reminds me of sunflowers and even a taste of sunflower seeds as a nutty component in an aftertaste along with wheat and a bitter kick of hops. Much better than I thought it would be, though the taste from the hops is weak and watery...expected it to carry for longer but it just kind of punches you and walks away.

m: crisp and clean, nice carbonation. very refreshing.

d: again..this brew is refreshing. the bitterness of the hops make you want another sip...though the watery taste i get towards the end makes me feel a bit more quenched. It is a bit of a tug of war. I could certainly drink a few of these, though there are things I prefer over it. Overall, a fun one to try and I'd revisit at some point down the road.

03-13-2011 01:51:31 | More by Preismj
meeekyh

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Friday calls for a review. Red Seal is from a brewery I like and so it has been chosen.
A 12 oz bottle into a Fin Du Monde glass. A satisfying 'pop' and a whiff of grain greet me upon opening. An orangy-amber ale with a thick, off-white head issues forth as I pour. The head stays a long while.

Smells are strong malt, a bit of yeast and an herbal hop note.

The taste is full and round with a very light sweetness and a balance to the strong malt backbone.

Mouthfeel is light but not faint and the carbonation is ample while the finish is decidedly dry and herbal.

Drinkability is very high and overall impression is that of a well crafted beer. The dryness and herbal hop quality are a great departure from many of the sweet, bland ambers I have had.

Slainte.

03-12-2011 01:03:28 | More by meeekyh
JesteR14

3.9/5  rDev 0%

A- Great amber/red color. Mellow bubbles that aren't very noticeable.

S- I tried to smell this. I even put my nose into the two finger head...i got barely anything!! Malts and the VERY mild sense of hop bitterness....im not expecting much hop bite. Some spices that i smell that i know will come out in the taste.

T- Okay, smooth.... lemme take a bigger sip..Wow..i love this beer. I taste wheat, spices and west coast freshness. I cant explain it but i love California, and this reminds of everything i love about that state.. fresh, bold and stands out. Its not a serious pallet beer but for me, this is a great wheat, malt and barley drink. Some mild fruits like pears and apples, and adds to why this is such a great beer. The bitter hops go fantastic with the bitter fruit in this beer, and manage to balance this fantastic brew. very easy for a craft brew head, id give this to any close friend!!!!

M- the mouth feel of this beer is exciting. Its not overly done with the hops and spices, its perfectly balanced with the fresh ingrediants and boldness of flavor. Every time i drink this beer its a trip to the west coast....And i live in Florida so this is a great vacation!

D- I love good amber ales, but this stands out. I love everything about this beer. I would drink a 6 pack any day because of how refreshing and easy drinking this perfect ale tastes!

03-10-2011 10:09:36 | More by JesteR14
dmfrench

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Slightly underwhelming but flavorful citrus hoppy 1/2IPA®
___

A: Hazy, pretty orange/copper body with a fairly persistent two finger yellowed white head. Unappealing were the 20 or so small, light colored sheet-like flecks that settled to the bottom of the glass.

S: Rich, sweet, and slightly toasty caramel with a delicious spicy, floral hopping. On of my favorite noses of recent memory.

T: Fairly big caramel malt hits you up front which quickly changes into a fairly potent DIPA like grapefruit hopping. Very flavorful for 5.5%. It's not exactly delivering a Double Trouble experience or anything, but I am still impressed with how much flavor they managed to cram into this relatively low ABV beer. Finish is medium length and on resiny hops.

M: Medium-high carbonation and a bit of a grainy texture... I'd say average plus on weight for the style.

D: Leaves me a bit underwhelmed... I'd rather have a DIPA anyday.

02-28-2011 02:42:38 | More by dmfrench
Brianjames16

4.33/5  rDev +11%

A - Pours a nice translucent bronzy/red with a lot of carbonation soaring to the top. Nice off white pillowy two finger head.

S- First thing I get from the aroma is piny/earthy smell from the hops. I can smell some malty bread notes too. Very appealing aroma over all.

T- Nice piny bitterness on the tongue. Some caramel, bready, malty flavors here too. Nice balanced taste.

M- Good carbonation on the tongue creates a refreshing crisp feeling. light/medium body.

D- I could sit with a six of this and enjoy myself. Easy to drink with quality characteristics. Solid brew!

02-25-2011 23:20:15 | More by Brianjames16
richkrull

Wisconsin

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Picked this one up at Trader Joes over the weekend. Poured a very solid amber color, not a lot of head. Very nice hoppy aroma. Great taste. Good amber flavor with a bitter finish from the hops. Went down smooth, good mouthfeel. Very drinkable, I'll be looking for this beer again in the near future.

02-25-2011 01:15:44 | More by richkrull
CogSciBierNut

4.25/5  rDev +9%

A- Grapefruit colour, lots of bubbles, almost little to no lacing.

S- Lots of grapefruit, possibly a hint of orange, but overwhelmingly grapefruit-y.

T- At first taste, it's almost like an IPA, but then it turns into a red ale with a good balance of hops and grapefruit. Did have a lingering aftertaste that was hard to kick.

M- Generally very smooth, with bubbles dancing along my tongue.

D- Definitely drinkable, and worth sitting down to have more than 1 in a row.

02-23-2011 03:16:48 | More by CogSciBierNut
bfields4

Colorado

Nice Lacy off white head. Clear filtered amber body.

caramel and nutty malty aroma. A nice light floral hop. A yeasty fruity twang too.

Caramel is very present in the body. A little less dynamic than the aroma, but very pleasant. A light citrus flavor to round out the taste.

Nice medium bodied not too light not too heavy. All and all a very nice American amber. I'm glad I've ventured outside of Ol' Raspy. North Coast is def no one trick pony.

02-22-2011 02:12:38 | More by bfields4
jbertsch

2.25/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a tulip. Couldn't find a bottle date anywhere.

Dark copper in color. A 2-finger sudsy head formed with an aggressive pour, quickly minimizing to half-finger in size.

Smelled a little sweet licorice-like malt at first but could never quite get it again. Unexciting malt profile with some spiciness sitting on top of it.

The malt isn't noticeable enough on the tongue - Its short, brisk flavor has a fairly unpleasant bittnerness. A dry spice finish doesn't sit too favorably on the tongue either.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated and weight appropriate.

Drinkability is probably good for many people, however I found the taste uninviting and even a little off-putting. So it took me a while to finish it. I had to have some nuts with this to make it passable.

02-15-2011 14:03:08 | More by jbertsch
Shrews629

Kentucky

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance - Cloudy, amber/copper color with some burnt orange highlights around the bottom. Small off whtie head with not much retention. Left a small ring and left a touch of lacing.

Smell - The aroma provided a sweet caramel malt with some buttery notes and some bready/biscuit hints.

Taste - With the flavor, I picked up some of the caramel, bread and biscuit tones, but it also provided more of an "earthy" tone. Even a touch sour. Not much bitterness is there, but the sweetness seems to be a dominant characteristic.

Mouthfeel - Medium mouthfeel. Fairly smooth. Somewhat crisp. Leaves a small batch on the palate for a decent aftertaste.

Drinkability - This is an ok brew. Solid all around and pretty straight forward. Not the best, but far from the worst. Worth a try if it's available. I could have a few of these without fan fair no problem.

02-14-2011 18:57:22 | More by Shrews629
TitanTake

Tennessee

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

A - smooth pour; very little head, but extraordinary and impressive lacing; has a reddish hue with the consistency of tea

S - a surprisingly harsh initial aroma; a back-end of malt

T - here is where I was pleasantly surprised; strong malty flavor; taste lingers in your mouth for quite some time, but not as an annoying aftertaste

M - bubbly and smooth

D - I prefer a darker beer, but this definitely has the ability to be an every day beer

02-13-2011 01:44:29 | More by TitanTake
dbaker61

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Pours with about a finger of creamy, off-white head. Coppery color with a tinge of brown. Very slightly cloudy. Left partial rings of lacing down the glass.

Smell: Ah! Ambrosia! Truly wonderful aroma hops smell. Spicy, floral.

Taste: The hops just keep coming. Lots of flavor and bitterness, but not overpoweringly bitter. Spicy and yeasty; warm, crusty bread.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, plenty of carbonation. Finishes dry with more hoppiness. Hop heads, try this beer.

Drinkability: Now this is one that I can drink because I want more of all those hops. The bitterness is not enough to cut into the drinkability; it's the flavor and aroma hops that gets you hooked.

02-06-2011 13:18:36 | More by dbaker61
superspak

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

12 ounce bottle. Pours clear red orange color with a 2 finger off white head with decent retention. Aromas of citrus, floral, pine, caramel, and some spices. Taste matches the nose very well, with a nice crisp clean bitterness that lingers for a bit on the finish. This goes down very well, and is very drinkable. Very nicely balanced flavors. Medium body and fairly high carbonation. Overall this is highly enjoyable, and full of flavor. Before I knew it my glass was empty. Excellent stuff.

01-31-2011 03:05:20 | More by superspak
drabmuh

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Beer is red and mostly clear with a thin white head of small bubbles, some lacing low carbonation, served in a DFH snifter.

Aroma is surprisingly hoppy with a nice malt backbone.

Beer is lead off sweet with an immediate hop character opening up on the midpalate of the beer. The finish is moderately to lightly bitter. Mouthfeel is nice, medium bodied, minimal carbonation, nice connectivity. I used to have this beer on draft all the time in FL, one of the few craft beers available and the time, and I loved it. I'm glad to return to it now getting the same enjoyment from the bottle. I'd have this again.

01-28-2011 04:25:32 | More by drabmuh
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

355ml bottle poured into pint glass jan25 2011

A nice copper color with the tiniest little particles and only a few slowly raising bubbles that somehow sustain a thick thumbs worth of foam that slowly falls to an island and leaves partial rings of lace well down the glass

S some toffee with faint citric hops and some bread

T not far from the smell but with a little bit of a spicy side and still quite malty

M a tad bitter and it leaves a little behind on your gums, thick for the color and more bubbles then I could see

D solid brew that grew on me as I dranki t, I could see myself drinking it again if I could get my hands on it

another solid beer from these guys, not my favorite brew from them but well worth drinking

01-26-2011 00:34:17 | More by wordemupg
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

Fair pale-red ale, a bit short of great qualities but quaffable.

Presentation: 12 oz brown capped bottle. Black and red design with a small emblem where the red seal resides. Brief description on neck label, with a repeat about the purity of ingredients, and medals received. Lacks date of bottling or freshness, neither shows IBUs or °Plato, only Alc. by Vol. (8%) Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Faintly hazy medium to deep amber pour, small head, with moderate to low retention, fair surface ring, and some random lacing.

S - Very tamed nose, light malty aroma with a bitter touch, even with an skunky dash for an initial brief second.

T - Luckily the brew picks up a bit on the taste front without much fanfare. Dash of caramel, malt and bitter hops, a bit resinous,

M - Medium-light body, medium to low carbonation with a nice tingle to it.

D - Not a bad ale, but feels a bit generic, a bit bland... Maybe I don´t have the freshest of bottles and I´m not being too fair?

Notes: A brew that I´d gladly pick up out there but that I doubt I´ll ever bring home again.

01-25-2011 02:26:37 | More by Daniellobo
kinupanda

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle pour is a nice light reddish-amber color with almost a coppery glow around the edges. A minimal head that dissipates rapidly and provides a very faint lacing early in the drinking. The smell is a sweet somewhat citrus scent and, while the malts are somewhat noticeable, the hoppy character shines through. On the sip, aside from the clean bitterness of the hops, the taste is somewhat smoky and earthy. Feels very crisp, but is not overly carbonated. A good aftertaste with some lingering bitterness.

FourthBeer potential: ABOVE AVERAGE. Not very heavy, and the hoppy character is a good complement to the maltiness expected with the style.

01-23-2011 21:03:24 | More by kinupanda
beerquestman

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Appearance: Goldish red, red cedar, or a dark copper

Smell: roasted hops, sweet, and a cider smell with a bit of citrus

Taste: has a smoky woodsy taste, can also taste spices, the hops and a nuttiness.

Mouthfeel: rolls well of tongue, has a pleasant aftertaste, and can taste some of the carbonation.

drinkability: Very smooth, it was lighter than expected and very drinkable.

01-21-2011 22:16:36 | More by beerquestman
nezelrac

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

from bottle into standard pint glass

A - pours a copper-red w/minimal white head that dissipates to a trace

S - Delicate sweet malty notes - light caramel/burnt sugar are dominant some hop spiciness peeks out, hint of dried orange peel

T - hops give a firmness to the malt - not as sweet as it smells, good persistence of flavor; dried spices and citrus peel

M - firm edged from hops and CO2 - perhaps a little too cold?

D - good, but doesn't draw me back, but I would recommend it...

01-21-2011 21:26:14 | More by nezelrac
zoso493

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Red Seal is a deep amber ale that shows some apricot highlights around the edges when held to the light. A small half-finger head forms atop the beer and disappears quickly to make a ring around the edges of the glass.

Smell: This beer is pretty light in the smell, though I can discern some faint bready malts that are pretty characteristic for the style. There are also some slight grassy hops lurking somewhere in there as well.

Taste: The flavor profile mostly mirrors the scent. There are some toasted, bready malts that are most evident at first, and an herbal, grassy hop bite at the finish. This is a nice, balanced amber ale, but not a hugely flavorful one.

Mouthfeel: This is a pretty crisp beer, as there are lots of carbonation bubbles. It's definitely a medium-bodied brew as well, which is good for such a highly-carbonated beer.

Drinkability: This would definitely make a good beer to have on a warmer spring or sunny day. It's pretty light and crisp but flavorful enough to enjoy.

Overall, Red Seal is a pretty good example of an amber ale. It's not a potent, super flavorful brew, but it is a nice-drinking, easy-going amber ale that was well enjoyed by me.

01-19-2011 20:48:41 | More by zoso493
CaptDavyJones

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured a nice, rich copper color into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. No ABV or freshness date on the label.
Solid two finger head that dissipated every so slowly to a thin persistent film of a head. Good carbonation and very nice lacing along the glass as the head dissipated.
Aroma is a refreshing blend of hops with a hint sweetness and malt.
Taste upfront is malty with a very nice hop finish. The bitterness in the finish is perfect. This is a very well-balanced, smooth ale.
Solid, chewy mouthfeel; coats the palate beautifully.
Creamy mouthfeel and the delicious taste of this ale make it highly drinkable. Paired perfectly with some spicy curry.
Highly recommended.

01-11-2011 01:25:38 | More by CaptDavyJones
Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale from North Coast Brewing Co.