Pranqster - North Coast Brewing Co.

PranqsterPranqster

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.60% ABV

IBU's: 20

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-01-1998)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pranqster Alström Bros
enznevr

1.75/5  rDev -56.6%

09-16-2013 03:58:42 | More by MIrvine
Dripdry

1.88/5  rDev -53.3%

Found this beer in a craft brew store in Minnesota called the Five Firkins (i think). I tried the beer just this morning after breakfast, on a whim, and was not impressed.

The color of the beer was nice. The aroma was nice for a belgian, a yeasty/mellow spice kind of note.

The taste, however, took me aback. Sweet, malty, yeasty flavor that would have been alright (I'm not the biggest belgian fan) but for the enormous carbonation. The beer popped and fizzled in my mouth like a can of soda. I don't like soda, that's a reason I drink beer! It tasted like soda that had gone terribly wrong.

I considered dumping this brew down the sink after a couple sips, but decided in the name of fairness and tolerance to relax and continue to drink. As the carbonation mellowed the beer became a little better, but the yeasty whallop was just too much. Maybe that's the intention of the brewer (given the name of the beer).

Maybe I'm not a big fan of this style of beer, as the half a dozen "belgian style beers" I've had recently have just tasted like biting into mellow spicy dirt, and the carbonation on this beer really put me off. I've had other belgians that were to my liking, that had more varied flavors and reminded me more of autumn colors/smells than of chomping on a wooden table. I'll continue to try belgians, and perhaps I will re-review this beer in the future, but for now I encourage anyone who does not absolutely adore belgians to go elsewhere when exploring this style

01-17-2009 17:03:09 | More by Dripdry
Trappissed

1.88/5  rDev -53.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a glass goblet. Well let me start off by saying that I wanted to try another strong pale ale after having Duvel and enjoying it very much. This beer couldn't be further from that enjoyment. Smells like peachy yeast. Taste is predominantly yeasty as well. Some may like this characteristic, but it puts me off very much. Appearance is very nice; slightly cloudy and golden with visible carbonation. A very thin head with minimal lacing.

I'm just trying to understand all of these positive reviews. With each sip, I feel that I am getting nothing positive from this
beer. Mouthfeel a little thick, feel plenty of that carbonation in my mouth. Taste is just yeast. Aftertaste is just more yeast. Keep in mind, I kept the bottom yeast in the bottle, not in my beer. I find myself dreading and regretting each progressing sip.

I have nothing against North Coast at all and it is possible I got a bad batch but I did see some similarities in a few other reviews. Poured half the glass down the drain. I think it's called Pranqster for a good reason. Their goal was: let's see how overly offensive we can make this beer so people will be tricked into thinking they actually like it. I think I'm going to wash this taste out my mouth with some PBR.

09-02-2008 22:28:53 | More by Trappissed

MortarPestle

Indiana

12-30-2012 12:39:54 | More by MortarPestle
beer1018

Appears dark yellow with not much of a head after a hard pour.I can smell alittle citrus and funk. Taste is spicey with little to no hops, lots of malt flavor, yet again i am geting a skunked flavor, posibly an old bottle and cant find any bottle by on it. Mouthfeel is creamy with to much carbonation with makes my throat burn on the way down. I dont like anything about this beer, not reccomended.

09-30-2009 00:12:18 | More by beer1018
sevenarts

2.05/5  rDev -49.1%

A: Translucent golden orange, very small and quickly dissipating white head, no lacing.

S: Ripe, sweet fruit, almost like bubblegum, very bright and bold. Kind of artificial and one-dimensional.

T/M: As with the nose, this is dominated by flavors more usually associated with a hefeweizen than a Belgian pale: banana and bubblegum, along with sugary fruits, a touch of sweet malty caramel, and some peppery spices. The bubblegum is layered over everything else though.

O: Not really a fan of the flavor profile on this one. The bright, sugary, artificial bubblegum dominates both the aroma and the taste, and the result is just overbearingly fruity. A very simple brew in comparison to true Belgians, and pretty disgusting to boot. Couldn't even finish a bottle.

12-01-2012 23:45:45 | More by sevenarts

Arkansas

02-20-2014 17:16:01 | More by Seabass1964
aaronh

2.25/5  rDev -44.2%

Orange amber body topped by a thin, off-white head. the head gradually fades to leave a few small islands of foam. Aroma is slightly sweet, a little grainy, and has some yeasty notes. Flavor is a bit phenolic at first and seems to progress more in that direction with a few more sips. Some sweetness comes through, mostly sugary, and then some astringency and hop bitterness is noticed. Somewhat metallic on the finish. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Drinkability is poor. I'd come to a beer of this style looking for an expereince, not another average offering.

01-10-2008 00:15:08 | More by aaronh
Overlord

2.28/5  rDev -43.4%

Tried at the Stone 12th anniversary.

Pours gold, few stray bubbles.

Smells like yeast, and that's about it. Taste is pretty unpalatable, with some bitter yeast/bready strains, and a strange metallic twang that's really offputting.

This was a truly disappointing brew.

08-18-2008 07:10:31 | More by Overlord
JDV

2.42/5  rDev -40%

Bright golden pour with a frothy offwhite head. Smell is strongly metallic wtih a strong yeast smell behind that. Taste is decent, but bland. Very generic belgian strong ale flavor to me. Malty, yeasty and some detracting metallic flavors. Quite bubbly mouthfeel. Not particular spectacular.

04-06-2008 17:57:13 | More by JDV
acurtis

01-08-2012 18:41:03 | More by acurtis
faulkster4

2.5/5  rDev -38%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.75

Cloudy pour, no head, smells like sewer water, and called pranqster! Should I be surprised that this isn't the best beer I've ever had? Not sure who has rated this beer highly because it really has nothing to offer other than it has a nice light feel in the mouth and the taste does not linger. I really try to appreciate the positive attributes of every beer but this one really challenges me. At least it has a 7.6% alcohol content. Bottom line: they named this beer perfectly. I won't fall for their joke twice though!

04-27-2013 23:09:54 | More by faulkster4
Taylor_Boggio

08-27-2013 06:29:32 | More by Taylor_Boggio
Pranqster from North Coast Brewing Co.