Pranqster - North Coast Brewing Co.

PranqsterPranqster

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-01-1998

IBU's: 20
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pranqster Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,173 | Hads: 3,104
1.38/5  rDev -65.3%

I tried Sierra Nev Heff after seeing all the great reviews...hated it. Same with this. I was blown away with their Scrimshaw Pils and decided to try the brewery's highest rated...it tastes EXACTLY like the S.N. Heff!!! Is this the "Taste" everyone looks for??? Don't get it.... (278 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -52%

12 oz. bottle poured into a glass goblet. Well let me start off by saying that I wanted to try another strong pale ale after having Duvel and enjoying it very much. This beer couldn't be further from that enjoyment. Smells like peachy yeast. Taste is predominantly yeasty as well. Some may like this characteristic, but it puts me off very much. Appearance is very nice; slightly cloudy and golden with visible carbonation. A very thin head with minimal lacing.

I'm just trying to understand all of these positive reviews. With each sip, I feel that I am getting nothing positive from this
beer. Mouthfeel a little thick, feel plenty of that carbonation in my mouth. Taste is just yeast. Aftertaste is just more yeast. Keep in mind, I kept the bottom yeast in the bottle, not in my beer. I find myself dreading and regretting each progressing sip.

I have nothing against North Coast at all and it is possible I got a bad batch but I did see some similarities in a few other reviews. Poured half the glass down the drain. I think it's called Pranqster for a good reason. Their goal was: let's see how overly offensive we can make this beer so people will be tricked into thinking they actually like it. I think I'm going to wash this taste out my mouth with some PBR. (1,270 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -50.8%

Found this beer in a craft brew store in Minnesota called the Five Firkins (i think). I tried the beer just this morning after breakfast, on a whim, and was not impressed.

The color of the beer was nice. The aroma was nice for a belgian, a yeasty/mellow spice kind of note.

The taste, however, took me aback. Sweet, malty, yeasty flavor that would have been alright (I'm not the biggest belgian fan) but for the enormous carbonation. The beer popped and fizzled in my mouth like a can of soda. I don't like soda, that's a reason I drink beer! It tasted like soda that had gone terribly wrong.

I considered dumping this brew down the sink after a couple sips, but decided in the name of fairness and tolerance to relax and continue to drink. As the carbonation mellowed the beer became a little better, but the yeasty whallop was just too much. Maybe that's the intention of the brewer (given the name of the beer).

Maybe I'm not a big fan of this style of beer, as the half a dozen "belgian style beers" I've had recently have just tasted like biting into mellow spicy dirt, and the carbonation on this beer really put me off. I've had other belgians that were to my liking, that had more varied flavors and reminded me more of autumn colors/smells than of chomping on a wooden table. I'll continue to try belgians, and perhaps I will re-review this beer in the future, but for now I encourage anyone who does not absolutely adore belgians to go elsewhere when exploring this style (1,485 characters)

Appears dark yellow with not much of a head after a hard pour.I can smell alittle citrus and funk. Taste is spicey with little to no hops, lots of malt flavor, yet again i am geting a skunked flavor, posibly an old bottle and cant find any bottle by on it. Mouthfeel is creamy with to much carbonation with makes my throat burn on the way down. I dont like anything about this beer, not reccomended. (399 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -48.7%

A: Translucent golden orange, very small and quickly dissipating white head, no lacing.

S: Ripe, sweet fruit, almost like bubblegum, very bright and bold. Kind of artificial and one-dimensional.

T/M: As with the nose, this is dominated by flavors more usually associated with a hefeweizen than a Belgian pale: banana and bubblegum, along with sugary fruits, a touch of sweet malty caramel, and some peppery spices. The bubblegum is layered over everything else though.

O: Not really a fan of the flavor profile on this one. The bright, sugary, artificial bubblegum dominates both the aroma and the taste, and the result is just overbearingly fruity. A very simple brew in comparison to true Belgians, and pretty disgusting to boot. Couldn't even finish a bottle. (765 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -42.2%

Orange amber body topped by a thin, off-white head. the head gradually fades to leave a few small islands of foam. Aroma is slightly sweet, a little grainy, and has some yeasty notes. Flavor is a bit phenolic at first and seems to progress more in that direction with a few more sips. Some sweetness comes through, mostly sugary, and then some astringency and hop bitterness is noticed. Somewhat metallic on the finish. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Drinkability is poor. I'd come to a beer of this style looking for an expereince, not another average offering. (556 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -42%

Tried at the Stone 12th anniversary.

Pours gold, few stray bubbles.

Smells like yeast, and that's about it. Taste is pretty unpalatable, with some bitter yeast/bready strains, and a strange metallic twang that's really offputting.

This was a truly disappointing brew. (270 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -39.7%

Bright golden pour with a frothy offwhite head. Smell is strongly metallic wtih a strong yeast smell behind that. Taste is decent, but bland. Very generic belgian strong ale flavor to me. Malty, yeasty and some detracting metallic flavors. Quite bubbly mouthfeel. Not particular spectacular. (291 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.75

Cloudy pour, no head, smells like sewer water, and called pranqster! Should I be surprised that this isn't the best beer I've ever had? Not sure who has rated this beer highly because it really has nothing to offer other than it has a nice light feel in the mouth and the taste does not linger. I really try to appreciate the positive attributes of every beer but this one really challenges me. At least it has a 7.6% alcohol content. Bottom line: they named this beer perfectly. I won't fall for their joke twice though! (521 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -36.2%

12 oz fatty poured into snifter glass. Comes out straw-yellow with a white head that stick around for while, not bad...

I was dissapointed in the smell - or lack there of. For a belgian ale the aromatics were lacking. Where are the yeasty esters? Smell I could find revealed a malty base with some spice.

Taste is all spice that clashes harshly with the yeast profile. Astringet and raw, I couldn't put finger on the taste - coriander maybe? The malt bill gets lost somewhere and doesn't end up tasting like a belgian golden ale.

Had high hopes for this one but can't reccomd it. (582 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -35.9%

Rich amber/yellow/orange color / fairly clear / very mild carbonation and head

Tart and sweet – Belgian sugary sweet. Powdery and yeasty.

Powdery metallic first taste. (2) Sweet nutty sugary malt develops (2.5) More and stronger metallic off tastes. (1.5-) Really yeasty. (2) Bitter and tart. Fruity floral sugary sweet flavors develop. (2.5 - 3) Still so powdery and dry and unpleasant. (2.5)

This is hard to stomach. Needs a retry sometime far away. I am supremely disappointed. (490 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -35.7%

A - Small white head on a completely opaque dark yellow body.
S - Apples and lambic-like aromas.
T - Powdery, very sweet, no bitterness at all. One dimensional vanilla biscuit flavors.
M - Super fine carbonation, yeasty creamyness. Light body. The higher alcohol was not noticeable.
D - There is something dead about the after-taste of this beer. Something that reminds me the taste of cloth. (397 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -33.2%

Looks Belgian, smells Belgian...wait a min....

A-golden orange, cloudy of appearance
S- yeast, stale smashed apple smell, some spice for yo dice.
T- the taste well all I can say is O.K. The Belgian fruit taste thing was going on here. IKinda sickening to me. I'm guessing some coriander also...its complicated.
M-nice bit o bubbly felt good - taste bad
D- umm well overall not good. Every drink I wish was my last...planning on cellaring the last three and tricking people into drinking them hehehehe because I am a pranQster (see what I did there?) (553 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -32.4%

I've seen this beer at the local beer store a few times but passed, finally picked one up. The name of the beer is clever, love the label. Pours a foggy gold with a white head that dissapates quickly. The smell is very funky, almost smells of game or wild animal. Taste is very strong, yet the spice and strongness didn't do well on my palette. Feels dense but lacking pizazz in the mouth. Couldn't drink this again. (416 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -32.4%

A- Great BSPA look. Body is a medium golden hue with moderate translucency. Pours with a nice eggshell white head that has decent retention.

S- Citrus, yeast, some alcohol, and, surprisingly something to the likes of baking soda.

T- Some citrus upfront with a hefty yeast backbone. Floral hop flavor appears briefly for the finish then quickly vanishes. Some hints of the initial flavor linger but a sour/bitter flavor (very similar to baking soda) is prevalent.

M- Medium to high carbonation and body is a hair too grainy.

D- I was let down by this one and that's all there is to it. Its not a terrible brew-its just something I was expecting a lot more from. I won't pay for this one again. (696 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

While I may not have had this under optimal conditions (I'm not positive it wasn't sitting in a too-hot car before being delivered to me), I was not entirely impressed. The rolling bubbles seemed to suggest it was too carbonated...it helped cloud the beer on opening, and lent a message that I remember from the one brew I did that seemed to have been infected with a wild yeast: the flavor pitched too much toward fruit. In this case it wasn't entirely unpleasant, more like banana, but that isn't one of my favorite hints. I was expecting maybe a little more malt in my yeast--and perhaps more in the scent as well. Hops were almost absent. The best part was definitely the mouth where even the volume of carbonation didn't seem harsh--as it often can when there is too much. Just slightly sticky with sweetness, and full. For 7+ABV it was gentle, and I have no doubt the quality was there if not the flavor i prefer. I won't be going out of my way to bring this home, but I wouldn't refuse one. (997 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -31.9%

Golden in the glass with orange highlights. A gentle pour produces only a small head, which recedes to a thin ring. The nose is bready and estery, with hints of pepper and bubblegum. Similar on the palate; sweet pale malts meet bubblegum, pepper, fresh herbs and dried fruit (banana, pear). It's complex, but the sweetness and phenols are too much for me, and there's not enough carbonation to cleanse the palate between sips. Not terribly impressive stuff. (457 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -31.9%

I've heard a lot about this beer, mostly because of its unique name, I think... gotta say that I was a little disappointed. Pranqster pours nicely enough, with a decent golden color (it lacks some brightness to give it oomph) and a head that starts big but disappears. The nose is dominated by a slightly vegetal smell that reminds me of peanut butter. Not too appetizing. The palate is a mix of alcoholic burn, sugar sweetness and that peanut buttery thing. Mouthfeel is fine; average for the genre, as is drinkability... but the nose and flavor profile of this beer ruin the drinkability for me. Not so impressed with this... did I get a bad bottle or something? (664 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -31.9%

Appearance: Pours a murky golden body with a fizzy white head.

Smell: A sour fruit funkiness with notes of candy and wheat.

Taste: Light, pale malt sweetness with strong, yeasty herb-stuffed dough notes and hints of honey, bubblegum, and pears. Finishes with a prolonged spicy, yeastiness and just a bit of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Slightly sticky palate.

Drinkability: Far too sour and yeasty for my tastes, I think I'll keep to their Old Rasputin and Old Stock Ale. (517 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -31.7%

12oz bottle pours a cloudy light orange. Small but tenaciously lacing head.

Smell is sweet with bits of pineapple yeast.

Taste is sweet with a heavy mouthfeel. Big carbonation but no alchohol. Kind of a boring taste. It's not bad but it's not complex enough. There's a bit of spice and banana. Hints at candied sugar like many belgain beers. No hop profile to speak of.

Drinkability is groovy... sorry, evil dead ii in the background. (440 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -31.4%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter after swirling out all the yeast; a diry dark orangish honey with very little light passing through. White two finger head with no retention but decent lacing.

Smell: Yeasty banana and malt. A little funky.

Mouthfeel: Very highly carbonated, a little watery with a medium body.

Taste: This has a yeasty banana/apply cider taste to it. Some spicy bite on the swallow of coriander.

Drinkability: This one disappoints me, and I hate to say that because I love Old Rasputin RIS puts out. I always how this can be the same brewery when I have this. They deserve another shot, but this one isn't my flavor. (647 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -31.4%

A- Opaque burnt orange with a not-too-appealing fizzy head without much staying power and not too much lacing

S- Caramel and lemon with some wheat scents

T- Very lemony and wheaty with some caramel and a slight sour aftertaste

M- Kind of fizzy with a tart bite and aftertaste

D- It's smooth bu8t the sourness would stop me at about three in a sitting (354 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -31.4%

Served out of a 12 ounce bottle into a plastic cup at a local beer tasting event.

A: Cloudy orange amber in color with a nice head that sticks around

S: Somewhat of a floral aroma, although not very prevalent.

T: Somewhat fruity taste, strong raisin and dark fruit, but a bit metallic in taste that was a bit of turnoff.

M: Medium bodied, with good carbonation.

D: I like North Coast beers in general and wanted to enjoy this, but I keep sensing an unpleasant metallic quality in the beer which I didn't enjoy. Hope to make a North Coast tasting next week and perhaps give this another try. (596 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured this from a 12 oz bottle into a Duvel Tulip Glass. Served at roughly 50 Deg. F

A - Little to no head white in color dissipated after the first sip. Cloudy golden brownish color with floaters of sediment.

S - Trace hint of what a belgian golden ale should be. Nose was very subtle at best. Some fruity aspects but relatively mild.

T - Hops still present with a bit of aftertaste. Remnant of the boil and wrong mixing times for the hops. The beer is characteristic of belgain but just not on the same level.

M - Stinging but relative smoothness.

D - A very drinkable beer. Good attempt at a Belgain. Aftertaste creates a little reluctance towards drinking (I mean little).
Average at Best! (701 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, no freshness date. Pours a cloudy orangey, peachy color into a Magic Chouffe tulip, a little sediment floating amid the gentle flow of bubbles. The white head is thiner than expected, and dissipates quickly only leaving spotty traces of lace.

The smell is very yeasty, along with some straw, wet mulch, and a faint flutter of orange rind. The flavor delivers malt, yeast, corriander, and an orange zest, and plenty of alcohol.

The mouth seems dull, undercarbonated, and lifeless. It pretty drinkable, but the flavor profile and lack of expected complexity does not inspire me to drink more than one. There's at least fifty better brews of this style, if not more.

I was expecting a lot more from North Coast, and plan to revisit this again, it didn't taste like it was completely bad or over oxidized or anything, but maybe this bottle was derelict is some way--I hope. (891 characters)

Pranqster from North Coast Brewing Co.