Pranqster - North Coast Brewing Co.

PranqsterPranqster

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.60% ABV

IBU's: 20

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-01-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pranqster Alström Bros
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

12oz bottle poured into Corsendonk chalice dec16 2009

A cloudy golden peach with a very fast falling fingers worth of head that left no lace

S I get some mild spice with lots of corn flakes and orange

T where's the booze? as it smells but some credit is due for the well concealed booze, heavy on the cereal and a little yeast

M clean with just a little bite that helps me get over the fact that it's a little flat

D for 7.6%alc there's very little issues with this beer and the fact that it's quite well rounded helps its cause

not the best looking beer but overall I enjoyed it with ease. I love this brewery and only hope more of their products become available in my neck of the woods

12-17-2009 10:09:00 | More by wordemupg
bonbright7

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

This golden Belgian-style ale was a welcome taste on a cold and rainy night as the NFL was wrapping up its games. The welcome taste of classic Belgian blonde far exceeded my expectations, though I was already a fan of the brewery's other creations, such as Old Rasputin RIS and Brother Thelonious Dubbel.

The ale had a great malty body which exhibited lots of fruit and sweetness. I thought it was lightly hopped, if at all, and strong yeasty flavor was very present. It was very drinkable and I would highly suggest it as a great example of the American interpretation of the Belgian blonde style.

12-14-2009 00:58:55 | More by bonbright7
hardy008

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a hazy gold color with a thin head which disappeared immediately. Smell is lemon, malt, and yeast.The taste is somewhat sweet with the malt being more dominant than I would have guessed from the aroma.The yeast and lemon are also present. Medium bodied with good carbonation. A decent drinkable beer.

12-11-2009 04:22:09 | More by hardy008
Dijeriduster

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Shockingly I found this at the SDSU campus bar...the kind of place you'd never expect to find anything but dopey coed's drinking Bud Light. So I got the big 16oz pour....in a plastic cup.

A - Light slightly hazy beer...very Belgian but in a seemingly mass produced way. Solid head from the pour with very good retention

S - Some sour Belgian notes with plenty of Euro hops flavours poking thru. A little hint of booze in there too as this is a strong ale.

T - Pretty good. For a Belgian it is well rounded, with a good yeast flavor propping up the hops. Not terribly bitter or citrusy but kinda just right. This is very much a Belgian beer for American craft beer lovers...

M - Not bad, plenty of carbonation and a solid feel overall. Very much true to style, but thinner then some making this much more drinkable

D - Actually pretty high. I'd down a sixer of this for sure - vs a Maudite or something like that where you wanna really savor it.
Not my fav beer, but a fun alternative to the ol IPA...

12-10-2009 22:19:49 | More by Dijeriduster
dpnelson1978

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz. bottle into Duvel tulip.

$8.99 / 6 pk.

45°F

S: Faint lemon citrus and just the slightest wheat. Pretty weak scent overall, but not unpleasant.

A: Straw body covered by a loose medium head that quickly dissipates with no lacing or cover.

T: Strong wheat backbone, and the customary ripe red fruit Belgian yeast flavors. Pretty strong citrus flavor, and very tasty. Low hop character, and no after taste to speak of. Hides -OH very well.

M: Light body with high carbonation. Very crisp, and bubbly. Fits the style pretty well. Perhaps just a little lower carbonation would be preferable.

D: Very light body and very drinkable for such a high abv beer. Watch out for this one, it is very easy to confuse for something in the low 4 abv range.

O: Very good beer, and a very tasty Belgian. For pure flavor and drinkability I find this to be far superior to Duvel, but it loses points for a weak scent and lackluster appearance.

12-07-2009 05:04:49 | More by dpnelson1978
Rayek

Colorado

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a tulip.

A: Deep apricot, with nice clarity for a bottle conditioned beer. A soapy peach tinted head starts huge, and then slowly retreats to a thin film. Leaves bits of lace.

S: Sweet and spicy. Pear and green grape dominate initially. Spicy cinnamon and clove come on to balance. In the background is the slightest hint of bubblegum.

T: Sweet flavors of pear and plum start things out. Spicy clove, coriander and cinnamon join in quickly to partially mask the fruit sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly warm, with a lingering spiciness. A mild sourness adds to the finish as the beer warms.

M: The syrupy body feels a bit thick for this style. The prickly carbonation; however, is right on the money.

D: Pranqster is a very nice US example of this style. It goes down quickly. Perhaps too much so, given the strength. I've been staring at this on the shelf for a long time, and am glad I finally decided to pick it up.

12-03-2009 01:52:55 | More by Rayek
PappinAce

Indiana

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%

I had this in bottle form poured into a goblet. I loved it...

Appearance: A completely opaque beautiful golden-orange color. Poured a small half-inch head, as I held it like a five meters above the glass and poured it aggressively.

Smell: Assorted fruitiness and yeast. Not as much going on in the aroma as in the taste...

Taste: Starts with a creaminess carrying a grapefruit flavor. Then a very strong yeastiness hits you, signature of Belgian pales. A little less yeast than Matilda, but still there. The aftertaste is green apples.

Mouthfeel: Creamy on the start as I said, and the hop character is very light, carrying some flavors on the finish. Perfect for me.

Drinkability: Very tasty and drinkable throughout the whole bottle, getting better as it warms. At 7.6% ABV you could almost call it a session beer...I would probably limit myself at two. Anyway, this beer wins.

12-02-2009 21:57:07 | More by PappinAce
tanousa

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

A- orange look mixed with honey colors , nice foamy head that disapear gradually, beautiful presentation.

S- Nice Belgian yeast and fruty smells , mostly banana and also some clove there.

T- Taste is great! Citrus , some apples , spice , colplex flavor on this gem.

M- Medium body , well done on the carbonation, can drink more than one easily.

D- Very easy to drink , clean finish.

12-01-2009 01:55:52 | More by tanousa
bskrtz

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured cold -- 45 degrees to tullip shaped beer Challice

A) Golden orange. Some say hazy but mine appears to be clear as a bell - I can see through the glass. Small, lacy head

S) Fruity sweet -- banana, apple & pear. Hint of clove, coriander. Mild hops

T) Sticky sweet Belgian sugars and malt. Very close interpretation of Belgian pale or blond ale. Tart, sweet and fruity. Alcohol is mild yet ABV is moderate @ 7.6%.

M) Carbonation is ample but a bit light for the style. Smooth and refined.

D) A quality American made Belgian style ale. Easily drinkable but beware of alcohol content which quickly catches up with you

11-29-2009 22:13:28 | More by bskrtz
Dawkfan

Alberta (Canada)

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

A- This one pours a cloudy golden honey-orange with 1 finger of head. The head didn't last very long and there's not much in terms of lace either. Some carbonation showing through the centre of the thin film that was left on top.

S- Belgian spice, yeast, banana, pear, apple. This really reminds me of the typical Unibroue smell.

T- Starts of fairly spicy with hints of banana and apple, it then mellows out with some sweet malt & yeast. The alcohol is noticeable in the finish, but it isn't harsh by any means.

M- The mouth is creamy, medium body & a good amount of carbonation.

D- A nice brew from north coast, but I couldn't see myself having more than a couple.

11-25-2009 01:12:39 | More by Dawkfan
greatkindness

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

My first beer review! My homebrew beer bro brought this one over. I love the smell...it's intoxicating. It leaves a pleasant after taste. What more can I say? It's just my first review. But there seems to be a minimum of 250 characters, so I'll just end this with a bunch of filler. I must say that I like the name of the brew and the label, but I'm not sure about the use of the 'q'. Funny misspellings are too common these days. I think it's more hip to spell things normally. But then again, I live in Silicon Valley where spaces between words are deprecated, random capitalization is par for the course, and q's abound.

11-22-2009 02:26:23 | More by greatkindness
rosmhuire

4.15/5  rDev +3%

12 oz bottle

A: Hazy, gold-colored. Nice foam.

S: Assorted yeasty spices. Maybe a hint of coriander and fruit

T: What an excellent Belgian pale ale. Definitely getting the typical Belgian yeast profile, along with some sweet spices. Good carbonation. Nice hops.

M: Creamy with good amount of bubbles

D: Highly sessionable

11-20-2009 16:25:29 | More by rosmhuire
strictly4DK

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz bottle poured into my Spinnerstown Hotel stem glass.

A - Pour golden/orange color, hazy with 1/2 inch fizzy white head, little retention or lacing, steady stream of small carbonation bubbles.

S - Prominent scent is spicy belgian yeast. Hints of pear and sweet fruits. Surprisingly, a little funk as well, some straw and wild yeast scents.

T - Wow, North Coast you outdo yourself. Loads of spicy belgian yeast hits the palate quickly and lingers throughout. Next comes fruity esters, most notably pear and gala apples. The taste is rounded out with some barnyard funk (straw), soft sweet caramel (pale/munich malts), and small amounts of earthy/spicy hops.

M - Biting carbonation to start and finishes creamy. Light mouthfeel with lingering dry funk and spice.

D - Spot on carbonation and hidden abv lends itself to drinking a few of these. Great complex palate with nothing too extreme or outlandish to limit the drinkability here.

11-17-2009 01:09:27 | More by strictly4DK
eagles22

4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

Appearance: cloudy golden body with a little head

Smell: wild yeast, apples and pineapples

Taste: very complex belgian..floral and fruits hit you first than has a nice hop bitterness at the end

Mouthfeel: Medium-full mouthfeel that leaves you wanting more

Drinkability: 5/5

11-09-2009 00:00:20 | More by eagles22
david18

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Really of a golden than a strong pale, as the brewers themselves would indicate the pranqster is a very good beer that's surprisingly drinkable given the ABV. Great golden color with good belgian carbonation. Very good lacing. Aroma is a little sweeter than a pale, again like a blonde or a golden and the flavor is very good. Not as bubbly as it could be this is a fun beer from a good brewery.

11-07-2009 20:57:14 | More by david18
minnunderground

Wisconsin

2.6/5  rDev -35.5%

Looks Belgian, smells Belgian...wait a min....

A-golden orange, cloudy of appearance
S- yeast, stale smashed apple smell, some spice for yo dice.
T- the taste well all I can say is O.K. The Belgian fruit taste thing was going on here. IKinda sickening to me. I'm guessing some coriander also...its complicated.
M-nice bit o bubbly felt good - taste bad
D- umm well overall not good. Every drink I wish was my last...planning on cellaring the last three and tricking people into drinking them hehehehe because I am a pranQster (see what I did there?)

11-07-2009 08:23:26 | More by minnunderground
AgentZero

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

A - Cloudy dark orange color. No real head on it.

S - Smells belgiany, little spice and some mild yeast with a nice fruity aroma.

T - Average on the taste. I like my Belgian Strongs to taste like Belgian yeast and strong. This is neither, tastes like banana and maybe a little clove, but way too heavy on the banana. Not a good take on this style.

M - Solid carbonation in a medium-light bodied beer, but nothing that stands out.

D - Very easy to drink, but got too sweet for me too quickly.

11-05-2009 21:02:02 | More by AgentZero
jrallen34

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

It pours a very cloudy color that is in between a honey orange and creamy brown. The head is white and light with no discernable retention or lacing.

The aroma is very sweet, lots of banana with light hops.

The taste is all banana and too overwhelming with that to get much of anything else. Mouthfeel is heavy, drinkability is just not there.

11-05-2009 14:35:44 | More by jrallen34
BlackBearForge

4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into my Duvel tulip Pranqster is a lovely coppery gold with warm amber highlights and good clarity. The creamy tangerine head builds nicely and falls shortly thereafter leaving nice coats of lacing behind.

I pick up spicy hops and a clean faintly honey musk in the aroma along with apple and pear.

The flavor is very nice, a bold pale malt, sweet and lightly bready with a spicy hop bite. Ripe sun warmed apples, pears, apricots and honey make an appearance. Upon warming the flavors come alive in a wonderful mellow melding and a few more fruity esters pop up with bits of clove and faint hints of banana. The alcohol makes an appearance on the finish as a pervasive comforting warmth.

The mouthfeel is full, creamy and lucious but still manages to be on the light side of medium while the carbonation is perfect.

Pranqster is a mastefully brewed beer from a wonderful brewery. This particular beer is a slice of late summer day sliding into Autumn with afternoon sunshine warming a stone wall bordering an apple orchard. Pranqster makes me wax poetical!

11-04-2009 23:14:45 | More by BlackBearForge
smudgewhat

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

I'm just learning my Belgian ales. I've tried Duvel, Affligem, & Leffe, but generally prefer this one even though it's American. (btw North Coast's Rasputin Imperial Stout is terrific). Also reminds me of some of Ommegang's stuff - which I love - the sharpness with the sweet. That's not that helpful is it? Well sometimes I feel Leffe needs that little bite that isn't there, so Pranq is working for me. At 7.6% you really don't sense the booze. My only beef? I don't like the graphic design on the label. Superficial I know.

10-28-2009 02:55:10 | More by smudgewhat
drperm

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

Ap: All these comparisons to Duvel got my hopes up. I even brought out my Duvel glass for the occasion...only to find:
1) Dark! It's almost apricot in color. Pretty enough, but not pilsnery like a Belgian Strong Golden should be. 2) Where's the foam? I was longing for some billowy, rocky, over-the-top meringue, and instead got a lacing. It is nice and white, though.

S: Yes. Here is more like it. Yeast, candy apple, chamomile, horse blanket, persimmon, (WHOOPS I got beer on my nose from smelling too deeply!), coriander, mace, caramel.

T: Nice. But sweet. Bigger, bolder, brasher, more warming....more "American" than Duvel. Not at all unpleasant, but there's a hairline of funk not 100% in keeping with what I'd expect, and something of an overly-sweet lingering at the very end. Still, it's more than worthy. A winner with food, too.
A bit of cassia on the tongue that I didn't get on the nose, and lots of that mace and persimmon shines through, too.

M: A bit sweet, a bit sticky. Not bad, though.

D: I wouldn't think, "Hmm....Duvel. Compare to Duvel!" other than its designation as a BSGA. I'm more prone to call to mind certain Unibroue offerings first. To me, more like La Fin du Monde than Duvel. North Coast does stellar work, and considering the breadth of their brewing opus, I'd say they've done a knock-out Belgian style here. I'd have this again, but probably not until after I've sampled some more offerings in this vein. Although, as I continue to work through my glass...it's *very* warming on a cold rainy night, and it's highly addictive. I'm dreaming of food pairings....good cheeses (Irish cheddar is what I've got on hand), lemony shellfish, pasta salad, certain (non-chocolate) desserts, lighter-prepared duck, wildfowl, maybe even Thanksgiving dinner if I were pressed for a brew.

10-27-2009 21:33:54 | More by drperm
drtth

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Chilled and poured into a Duvel glass. A glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: The beer pours out a lightly hazed golden apricot color with a persistent ½" off-white head and lots of small streams of carbonation. The foam is smooth and creamy with sheets of foam that turn into patterns of leggy lacing and speckled spider web lacing. Eventually the head recedes to a ring of foam around the glass with a thin surface layer of foam but even then sipping leaves patterns of leggy and speckled lacing.

Smell: The aroma is soft fresh and floral. There is a touch of mild yeast, a hint of spice and some orange zest but it is all quite subtle and restrained.

Taste: The flavor is lightly sweet and then becomes fruity with some pear, lemon and apricot putting in an appearance. Then there's also that touch of spice, most likely clove. Neither the yeast nor the alcohol play a prominent role in the flavor of this beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium bodied and smooth with the medium carbonation. The finish is clean and medium length with the fruits gradually fading out so that the beer ends on a dry note but without much bitterness.

Drinkability: A nice drinkable Belgian style and well before I finish it I'm wishing I had chilled a second one. I'll definitely be having this one again.

10-26-2009 21:33:20 | More by drtth
fropones

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a nice light golden yellow with minimal white head. The smell is some citrus, mild spice, and a little bit of horse blanket. Smells like a nice dry white wine. Taste is delicious. Some more citrus, a good bready flavor from the yeast. A good amount of apricots. A hint of alcohol. A nice drying sweetness to it. A nice biting effervescence, very bubbly and airy, slightly creamy. Drinkability is good. Definitely up there for a BSPA.

10-22-2009 04:43:36 | More by fropones
ocelot2500

Arizona

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours a clear golden with a tight white head. Enough lacing on the glass.

Smells of mostly apple and some spice.

Tastes of of the apple and peach with a slight background spice and some tang. This is too sweet for me. Kind of has this weird combination of the sweetness and a lack of other malt characteristics that I don't like. Feels like the malt/sugars were not completely used and left a raw note to the brew.

The mouthfeel is a medium-full with a creamy amount of carbonation.

10-18-2009 02:52:19 | More by ocelot2500
KrisPaulk77

Mississippi

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured into a chalice, Pranqster poured a hazy deep gold, with a super fast fading white head. It looks slightly thickish.
The aromas are pure Belgian. There is a yeasty quality to the aroma, the smell of which just makes me think Belgian beer. There is some malt to the nose, a slight spiciness, some earthy aromas, and a hint of maybe some lemon.
The taste and feel of this beer is a winning combination. There is a wheat-like feel and taste, sweet malts, some spice, banana, coriander, citrus, a touch of sour, and then finally, a sweet finish. A great many complexities going on in this glass. The finish is fairly dry, and the feel of the beer is good.
This is a top notch offering from North Coast. The price for a 4 pack is good, and a great substitute for some of the more expensive Belgian offerings.

10-17-2009 02:47:51 | More by KrisPaulk77
Pranqster from North Coast Brewing Co.