Pranqster - North Coast Brewing Co.

PranqsterPranqster

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.60% ABV

IBU's: 20

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-01-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pranqster Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours golden with orange hue and a 3-finger head.

S- Bananas, slightly sweet with some yeastiness, a hint of band-aid, some melon.

T- The flavors aren't bad, some yeastiness, a sweet, banana-like flavor, but then there is a weird aftertaste (maybe what came across as band-aid in the aroma) that subsides as I continue to drink it, an earthy hop bitterness in the finish that is not too pronounced.

MF- Solid, good body and carbonation with the right amount of stickiness.

D- No heat and goes down pretty easy for a 7.6% belgian style golden, not cloying.

mbudner, May 20, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a bottle.

A- Frothy whitehead that lingered for a bit. Not much lacing.

S- Grassy and grains with a hint of banana and butterscotch.

T - Taste is lightly sweet with no bitterness. Full-bodied with a nice aftertaste.

M- Highly carbonated and oily.

D- Wished it had a little more complexity to the flavors. ABV a little noticeable. I have other Belgians I would choose before this one.

konadrinker, May 17, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours a clear golden yellow colour, with a massive, voluminous and frothy head of egg-white foam, fed by an enormous, almost ridiculous, amount of carbonation. It almost seems as though the beer is more gas than liquid looking at all the streams of tiny bubbles. Looks good though.

Nose is muted belgian yeast, some roundness and a little organic sweetness, with some pepper and spice. Carbonation acidity is also present, unsurprisingly, given the level of bubbling. Pretty nice, if not particularly complex or robust.

Taste, ooh, something seems wrong here... Big phenolic acetone character and an evaporating booze fume presence. Roundness is there, with a little Belgian sweetness, but it's suppressed by the sharp and pungent heat. It's very harsh, making it difficult to take.

After a while, it gets more bearable, but this seems rather unpleasantly unbalanced compared to most Belgian style ales. It has some nice characters, but I just found it very difficult.

lacqueredmouse, May 17, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -2%

A- Poors very smoothly leaving a crisp head that stays for a little while, but not for the entire drink. Pleasant looking, makes fizzing noises as it settles. Little cloudy, but great presentation

S- I couldn't really smell anything other than some fruity and citrus smells after long breaths, smells very nice though

T- Taste is very full an nice. There is a definite citrus overtone with some foral and spice flavors mixed (clover maybe). The taste is full of energy and perks you up.

MF- There is a little more carbonation than the average beer, and it is a little thicker than average beers.

D- Very easy to drink, but has a higher ABV. I slowly drank it so I'm not sure if the taste gets old

hangh, May 17, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -33%

Served out of a 12 ounce bottle into a plastic cup at a local beer tasting event.

A: Cloudy orange amber in color with a nice head that sticks around

S: Somewhat of a floral aroma, although not very prevalent.

T: Somewhat fruity taste, strong raisin and dark fruit, but a bit metallic in taste that was a bit of turnoff.

M: Medium bodied, with good carbonation.

D: I like North Coast beers in general and wanted to enjoy this, but I keep sensing an unpleasant metallic quality in the beer which I didn't enjoy. Hope to make a North Coast tasting next week and perhaps give this another try.

chaz01, May 16, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

Single bottle (no date on bottle) poured into a Rochefort Goblet.

Appearance: Light golden orange color with plenty of carbonation bubbling up. Just a bit of haze present. Not a lot of lacing or foam noted.

Smell: Mild hints of citrus (lemon/orange), some herbal smells too, but nothing terribly strong. Appealing but I really have to take a deep inhale to get any of it. I will admit that maybe the goblet was the wrong glass and I should have gone with a tulip instead.

Taste: Grape and apple flavors, with some other sweet flavors. Towards the end there is a nice malty finish. Nothing is cloying though - the fruit and sweet flavors are noticeable but not dominating. Well balanced and smooth in all flavors is how I would describe this.

Mouthfeel: A bit sticky/syrupy with plenty of carbonation on the tongue.

Drinkability: Relaxing, quite good with a meal (zucchini cakes and seasoned noodles) and I finished it quite fast. Overall a good beer but I feel let down by what I read about the greatness of this beer in some of the other reviews. Either I have a beer past its prime or I'm just not getting it.

damndirtyape, May 13, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Was disappointed from the get-go on the extremely thin head which whittled away to nothing within 10 seconds. hazy golden orange color, no lacing whatsoever.

Smell: I felt that the smell redeemed the disappointing appearance. Super fruity... oranges, lemon etc. To me, the spices didnt stand out as much as I had expected when comparing to other beers of the same style.

Taste: fruity (most notably oranges). again not as spicy as expected, but some coriander is showing up. good taste, not oustanding. something is missing that I cant put my finger on.

Mouthfeel: with this style of ale, I usually expect a sort of champagne-y mouthfeel, very bubbly and crisp, but not so much with this beer. a bit lacking.

Drinkability: very high drinkabiity. you would not guess that the ABV is so high. dangerous beer as it goes down like juice.

timdog44, May 13, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -12.4%

Honey-colored pour with a faint orange tinge. Very thin white head and minimal lacing.

Yeasty aroma with a bit of clove and banana. Fairly high carbonation and an initial dryness that quickly becomes much more sweet (cloves, banana, and lemon) with a lingering yeasty finish.

A pleasant Belgian to sip when you don't feel like concentrating too hard on what you're enjoying...the sweetness gets to be a bit cloying after a while, although you don't really notice the slightly higher ABV.

grittybrews, May 11, 2010
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an old gold-rimmed Kronenbourg tulip.

Appearance: Pranqster pours a bright golden apricot that lights up to a deep orange-amber when held up to the light. Even a vigorous pour is only capable of generating a bubbly one-and-a-half-finger head that dissipates quickly to form a ring around the glass. There's no lacing to speak of.

Smell: The smell is a bombardment of a heavy and bright orchard fruits, beginning with a strong scent of green apple. Aside from that, there is some lemon peel, orange and a good deal of spices, with coriander being the most prominent. The nose is pretty pungent which gets extra marks from me, but it also has a slight tinge of artificiality to me. Let's see how this translates into the taste.

Taste: The orchard fruits are still the dominant motif, and the Granny Smith apples remain the biggest component. The zesty lemon peel follows the green apple and touches of orange round out the fruity tastes. The spices are still evident, again with coriander being the main culprit. Unfortunately, this beer does seem a bit "artificial" to me. By that I mean it seems like the orchard tastes came from some extract rather than the real thing. For that reason, it is a notable departure from traditional Belgians, which doesn't sit very well with me.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel of Pranqster is adequate for sure. It's obviously not thick, but is still quite creamy, despite being very highly carbonated. It's also a pretty sticky BSPA, and I'm going back and forth trying to decide if I like that, but in the end I think I'm neutral.

Drinkability: I can't say that this is one of the more drinkable BSPA's that I've had. It's not particularly low in ABV and the flavors just seem to be a bit weighty. Even this one bottle is taking me a good while to get through.

Overall, Pranqster is a good attempt at the style, but in my opinion, it can't hang with the upper-tier of that which Belgium has to offer. That's no to say this isn't a good beer - it is. But it just doesn't retain that classic vibe that you find in Belgians of the same style. I'm being harsh, though - this is an enjoyable take on a fantastic style and is worthy of being consumed.

zoso493, May 10, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I poured this into an oversized wine glass

It did not have much head compared to others. The color is nice bright clear gold.

Nose is spicy with hints of malt and grain.

Taste is very nice with spice and fruit like apples and apricots, hints of malt and hops with an overall sweet character. The mouth feel is not carbonated enough. This is and the head along with a rather weak nose dropped the score somewhat. Otherwise, I like the taste of this beer and it is easy to drink.

daledeee, Apr 28, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Picked up a single from world market where I work haha..

Poured into my oversized wine glass.. Poured a very hazy orange color, with a somewhat thin head that dissipated quickly. Again very cloudy appearance.

Smelled very sweet, yeasty. Sugar cane is present, cloves, orange citrus, little alcohol also in the nose. Apple & caramel are hard to overcome.

Taste is also sweet upfront. Citrus lingers, yeasty, apple flavor, bananas.. A sweet banana boozy ending.. But overall taste is like a caramel covered green apple lollipop..

Mouthfeel is good.. Not too much carbonation.. Light on the mouth

High drinkability even @over 7%..

I enjoyed this brew highly :D

Cheers!!

aval89, Apr 24, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

A: Pours a nice Dark Gold with little head. Some collective yeast strings floating around in the glass. Should have anticipated it being bottle carbed I suppose.

S: Not much of a smell. Candy Sugar, some spicy yeast aroma. Fruits. Minimal hop aroma.

T: Cloves, Candy Sugar, then a twang at the end. Lightly Spicy. I'm drinking it right now at about 40F-45F, would probably be more flavorful when warmed up to about 50-55. On the more sweet side of things, almost cloying. As it warms up the yeast spices come more into play. More fruity flavors along with the hops come out as it warms. Toasted Malts.

MF: thick and fuzzy. Not much carbonation but just enough to tingle the tongue. I'm thinking there was some wheat in the mash because of the slick thicker mouthfeel.

D: Not a bad beer at all. I think this would be a great beer paired with food. Has some Hefe qualities to it.

rmolledo, Apr 22, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed April 18th, 2010 at Laurel Tavern, Studio City CA.

A yellow beer, splitting the difference between light and medium yellow. Slightly cloudy, some carbonation. Not much of a head - what's there is thin, patchy white and sticky.

Smells of mineral water and soft, indistinct spice garden. Also sweet.

On the palate, flavor is unexpectedly sharp up front. Some wheat tang and soft powdery yeast are offset by lemon zest. A juicy beer - makes me salivate! Deceptively light and agreeable with no hint of the ABV.

Mouthfeel is unremarkable, though the beer does finish nice and clean.

This would be an ideal thirst quencher on a hot day, until the surprise of 7.6% ABV arrives.

charlzm, Apr 22, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

poured from a 12oz into my arrogant bastard pint glass. It looks exciting, very bubbly right off the bat which gave me a perfectly even head which recedes in a timely manner without leaving any lacing on the glass. Carbonation continues to bubble up a lot through this semi-hazy golden colored elixir.

Smells good, a bit fruity with some alcohol esters in there. Definitely got a nice floral aroma from the hopping with no bittering to speak of. I'm ready to partake in what I am predicting to be a stronger more flavorful and sweet wheat-like brew...

It takes a whole taste of this beer to get it all, very complex flavoring which I enjoy quite a bit. Initially I commended myself on my prediction, definitely got a hint of the belgian saison style flavors with fruity characters as in banana with very mild but present cloves. Florally aromatic hops are there to balance the pretty heavy malting in this guy which I would definitely expect from a belgian style "triple" as in triple-the-malt. After the initial flavors the 7.6% alcohol estery taste pulls through with a little bite that is not bitter at all and is very welcomed. The finish, or 3 of 3 on this tri-flavored brew if you will...It's a perfect one to say the least. I get all sweet malt, the carbonation comes in mostly before this with the alcohol and the end is just smooth and sweet.

The mouthfeel on this is quite good because of all the complex flavoring, but the highlight is definitely the finishing part of the brew, the smooth malt feels great and makes this brew ever better.

Of course it's drinkable, Ha! Overall I'm a fan, the well made belgian style trippel's are always so deceiving to me, I mean living in America I look at the coloring and think oh great another light bodied no taste lager which is seriously so far from the truth I don't even know how to quantify the difference in quality there. Bottom line, I recommend for sure. North Coast has continued to impress me and has yet to let me down

dwilson01, Apr 13, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a golden honey color with a finger of white head. Keeps only a thin, uneven lace and not much stick. A whirl of bubbles rises to the top.

Smells strongly of clove and must, with a distinctive Belgian character to it. It's pretty sweet, as well, with a honey, sugary sweetness to it.

Taste is also quite sweet and big on the clove. There's clearly a good amount of character to this yeast strain, which is commendable, but the clove doesn't really hit my tastebuds the way I'd like. It's also quite sweet; sticky sweet really. Some must and earth as well.

Mouthfeel is a medium-full body and smooth enough, but the trouble is that the carbonation is far too modest given the sweetness. It's downright cloying. Could definitely be crisper or at least a little cleaner in the finish.

This is decent, but the big clove character is not my favorite. If that's your thing, you may like this more than me. The mouthfeel detracts a bit from it as well. A decent beer, which I probably wouldn't turn down, but not something I'd go back to very often either.

number1bum, Apr 04, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

Today's trials included this one that is new to me. I live on THE North Coast, but this came from a different North Coast in CA. It definitely has major transportive powers. Suddenly you go from NE Ohio to CA to Belgium, all in a few sips.

This is a first rate non-belgian belgian. This is consistent with my view of world beers. There are lots of great ones out there, but some of the best ones out there are from here! But here (the US) is a big place too. CA is really half a world away. But this beauty travels well and deserves a taste. Buy some!

schoolboy, Apr 03, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

A-Pours a hazy gold, with a fizzy, thick, white head.

S-Belgian yeast, apples, kind of spicy,and malty.

T-It tastes like the nose heavy on the Belgian yeast and dominated by malt. It has a nice apple flavor and some spice.

M-Kind of light, not thick making it easy to drink.

D-Very, very drinkable especially on a nice Spring evening while sitting outside.

Overall, this is a solid beer. I really enjoyed drinking it and it would make a great beer to drink on Spring/Summer nights.

thegodfather2701, Apr 01, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Hazy gold with an inch of white head that recedes after a few minutes.

Pranqster is fruit-forward with soft yeasty notes of pear, banana, and rose. Sweet pale malt makes up the rest of the profile with hops adding little. Sweetish finish puts this one a big step below the classic, Duvel, in my book, but others may prefer it. Nice fluffy mouthfeel.

Flavorful to be sure, but not in the class of Duvel, but then again how many beers are?

bump8628, Mar 31, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -5%

Appearance- Pours a Golden amber with a rich tall yellowish head that fades quick.

Smell- Lightly honeyed with abit of sweet spice.

Taste- Sweet bready notes mix with a lightly hoppy finish that makes this beer quite refreshing. But abit heavy to.

Mouthfeel- Thick but bubbly. An interesting mouthfeel that lingers softly.

Drinkability- I could have 2 or 3. The sweetness and belgian yeast is muted enough to make this a favorable offering in this style.

Side notes: Rather good with thin crust pizza.

Seru1, Mar 31, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

750 bottle conditioned with plenty of lees still in the bottle. Poured into tulip. Great golden color with moderate head, not as pronounced head or carbonation as other bottle-conditioned belgians I've tried recently. Nice yeasty taste, fairly light on the cakey/malt flavor but incredibly drinkable. Great anytime, likely even better in summer.

DAllspaw, Mar 27, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

A: Pours a clear marigold color. Minimal head, less than a finger, dissipates immediately.

S: I don't get a lot of aroma from this beer, though there is a subtle sweet yeasty aroma. A little spicy.

T: I don't know that I've had a beer of this specific style before. I enjoy the taste, but there is just something about it that dulls the flavor a bit. Its easy to drink, but a bit boozy I think. Malty too.

M: Not bad. The malt lingers in the back of the mouth for quite some time. It has a full body, but only for a few seconds, then it's gone except for the maltiness in the back of the mouth.

D: Again, not bad, but nothing to write home about. Needs something to carry the flavors all the way through the drinking experience if you ask me. It is missing something.

happilysurly, Mar 26, 2010

12 oz. bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A - Pours the color of unfiltered apple cider. Beer starts with a small head that disappears with little to no lacing present.

S - Smells like flowers and fruit (I especially smelled apricots).

T - Tastes of malty/yeasty biscuit with a particular apricot like fruit flavor.

M - Beer is smooth and has good carbonation.

D - This would go down very easy on a hot summer day. The apricot smell/taste is very appelaing to me.

UCLABrewN84, Mar 26, 2010

Pranqster
Pours a Crystal Clear Golden Yellow with a monstrous white head
Smell of Belgian Yeast, cat urine, belgian pale malts.
Taste very similar to aroma. There is an almost unnoticeable hop presence. Drinks very smoothly, mouthfeel of low carbonation, but carbonation is very clearly there as seen in the bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Slightly light on the body. Strong caramelized sugar presence, some butterscotch, belgian Doughy/peppery yeast flavors mostly with pale belgian malt. This beer is good, it is just not as good as other examples I have had as there is less complexity going on here. The characteristics of this beer are good though.

alpinebryant, Mar 26, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance - Dark, opaque gold color, very little head on this beer. Looks like a nectar of the gods.

Smell - Very earthy. Nectarine. Multivitamin undertones. Has some weird spice smell, which I dislike. Very fruity though. Smells wild and intriguing.

Taste - Don't even know where to start with this beer. Very strange flavor. Has a definitive belgian yeast fruity flavor. It also has sort of a chalky, medicine-like flavor, which I think may be common to some belgian ales. Definitely tastes gamey, spicy and strong. I think if I were to drink much of this beer it would put me in quite another place.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated, dry, alcoholic finish, has a nice feel overall.

Drinkability - Pretty drinkable, although for me it would highly depend on the occasion.

bobapfel, Mar 21, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Finally decided to try this after passing it by for a long time, and I now really bummed that I waited this long.

Pours golden with lots of carbonation. Doesn't have a huge head, but there is some nice lacing.

Has a bananna/clove aroma, similar to other Belgian ales. Smells of coriander and citrus and has a sweet aroma.

Drinks very smooth, with a sweet yet not overpowering taste. For about $9 a 4-pack this is an absolute steal. Probably one of my favorite North Coast beers so far, up there with Old Rasputin.

mirish72, Mar 14, 2010
Pranqster from North Coast Brewing Co.