Pranqster - North Coast Brewing Co.

PranqsterPranqster

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-01-1998

IBU's: 20
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pranqster Alström Bros
3.49/5  rDev -13.4%

I made the mistake of trying this beer right after i had a Duvel. Sorry for the crital judgement but I feel that this also helped me judge it better when comparing it to a world class beer. I enjoyed the mild clove but it seemed a little too malty for my likings of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a chalice-type glass.

Head is a rather small and off-white leaving no lacing. Beer is golden-orange and quite clear. I prefer a haze in my Belgians, it reminds me of the yeast.

Smells are subtle for the style. Grain and malt seem to predominate with notes of citrus-peel, lavender, and a bit of rubber.

Taste is sweet, tart, orange-peel, fennel, and grain. All of theses flavors are similarly present, along with unnamed others. That is to say there is not much of any particular flavor, a nice balance, or a bit boring.

Mouthfeel is lighter than most of the strong pales I have had, but not exactly light. I would say light-medium body. It has good carbonation but again less than in many of this style I have had. The finish is slightly sweet but almost neutral.

One of the most drinkable ales I have tried, let alone strongs. I would drink this all night or day, though the ABV is not over 8%, I would recommend caution, because there is very little in the taste to indicate the alcohol (or anything else).

Though not my favorite of the style, I have found, yet again, that a Belgian strong-pale is an overall winner. I look forward to more beers from North Coast.

2.9/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Golden yellow to light orange with almost one finger white - somewhat pillowy - head which recedes quickly with minimal to decent lacing.

S - Vibrantly citrus; spicy; orange rind is prevalent; smells pretty hoppy.

T - Not as good or balanced as I expected. Yeastier than I expected, which is not hinted at in the smell. Apple and peach are detectable. Peach is the stronger of the two. Not well balanced at all - the level of malt and hop do not mesh well together. It tastes confused and poor overall.

M - Not very pleasant. Not carbonated enough and not enough hops. If both were increased, this brew would be better.

D - Not as tasty as the smell gives off. Its ABV is too high to be sessionable. Not sessionable in the least. Pretty gross flavor.

I was excited about this brew based on all the positive reviews, but I see very little in this beer. More a witte than a belgian pale. Does not compare to Duvel. I don't know what people are talking about.

3.47/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a darker golden yellow with a light orange hue to it. Half finger white head came and went rather quickly. No lacing at all.

S- Nice earthy grassy smell. Light sweet caramel malts to this one. Hops while in there play a part in the back of the aroma. Light lemon and some yeast in there. The only bad thing about the scent is it is so muted.

T- Starts lightly spicey...there are some banana off flavors I get. This is in the front leading to a more sweet malty and some yeasty taste to it. The ending is mostly a light alcohol taste to it. Overall not bad tasting just a little less muted flavors would be all I asked for.

M- Lighter mouthfeel. Carbonation a little much for the beer I think. Sweet malts and light spices left on the palate and in the aftertaste. Light aftertaste altogether. Kind of drying on the mouth.

D- Overall this is a nice drinking beer. I would have liked to have it a little fresher as my bottle to review was a little older. A nice beer by North Coast.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a tall off white head that posses some solid retention.

S- Apricots, pears, Belgian yeast spiciness, and light biscuity malt notes.

T- Leads with pears, apricots, and golden raisin notes, slight hints of sweetness. Midpalate bring in the spices from the yeast. Finish is dry with bitter herbal notes coming through in a prominent way.

M- Big foamy carbonation typical of the style I don't really care for it but its too style.

D- A respectable Belgian pale imitation. Decent fruit flavors and what not. I've heard this compared to Duvel can't say I agree as I find Duvel to be top pinnacle of the style with more complexity and pleasantness of flavors.

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours hazy golden with a small white head that doesn't last long and eventually it looks flat.

Yeasty esters come across in the nose with fruity apple and musty banana notes, maybe pear.

Sweet and malty palate, clove, musty fruit, subtle hops in the finish and a fairly obvious alcohol presence that I could do without in a 7.6% Belgian golden. Not crisp or dry enough to my liking for the style.

Thanks but no thanks, I'll stick with Duvel.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Served from a 750mL into a Bruery tulip glass at about 40 degrees.

The North Coast Brewing Co. Pranqster pours a clear golden honey color in the glass with a creamy white froth, above average lacing, & above average retention. Soft & pretty aromas of lemon, subtle orange, light banana esters, a touch of honey, a fresh bread yeastiness (almost biscuit like), pear, gala apple, hints of passion fruit, mango, wild flowers (definitely Stargazer Lilly) follow through as mouth watering flavors on the palate. Although the nose seems a bit straight forward, it's elegant, complex, pretty, & I just simple couldn't put the glass down because I kept finding more subtle characteristics! On the palate, the beer has a somewhat creamy texture, great acidity, long finish, a slight drying sensation (not talking about tannins), & a noticeable/slightly unbalanced alcohol presence that, in all honesty, isn't necessarily unwelcome. This is an exceptional beer that was absolutely fantastic & one that I highly recommend!

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

G - The highly recommendable Duvel tulip.

A - Hazy orange-gold, nice creamy head, good retention.

S - Nice piney, earthy hop, sweet and savory esters, orange peel, bready malt.

T - Phenomenal taste, savory and dank herbal hops are complimented by a fruity nose that disappears into a bready malt. The elements are uncommonly flavorful, and balanced in such a sublime way.

M - Medium-bodied, with good carbonation, a dry and crisp finish.

D - This is an amazing beer. Drinkable anytime, day or night, in the tropics or the tundra...

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Pours a bright and clear gold color with a nice white head.

Aromas are floral, spicy, and dusty. Some bright fruit on the nose as well, maybe some apple.

Nice full flavor, crisp, dry, and bread like. There is a definite malt forward creaminess, lightly sweet, and then the beer settles into spicy yeast flavors. Finish is crisp, with a cider like note, and some mineral hop flavors.

Mouthfeel is quite nice. Good carbonation, and a smooth thick feel.

Drinkability is very good. Very nice flavorful Belgian Pale that isn't too heavy or overpowering. I think I'll have another...

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Has a nice golden color with a good sized head.
Smells of yeast and has a somewhat sour smell to it.
Tastes like a Flemish sour to me, and its a good thing I enjoy the Flemish sours. Has a yeasty goodness to it that brings back memories.
Lovely beer and once again North Coast has impressed me with their great brews.

3.91/5  rDev -3%

I've had Pranqster before, but with a less developed palate; I wasn't particularly fond of the brew the first time. Thought I'd review it with more of an open mind.

A: Poured into my Unibroue glass with a cloudy gold/copper color with an enormous white head that dies down eventually. Tons of lacing that shows me this is a pretty fine brew. A difference of opinion when I first tried this one.

S: Belgian yeast with some metallic and phenolic scents. Mild citrus accents that are barely detectable.

T: Candy and fruits with that notable funky Belgian yeast lingers on the palate briefly. Good and unexpected in comparison to the average smell.

M: Slightly syrupy, though virtually undetectable unless one is really looking for it (or reviewing the beer). Nicely carbonated and a bit creamy.

D: I've changed the drinkability rating twice while reviewing this brew; it grew on me and eventually I found that this is a pretty drinkable brew. I think after two, however, I'd want to grab something else; the flavors are not as refined as they could be, which could be grating to the palate. Not quite in the same league as the venerable Duvel. But close.

4.27/5  rDev +6%

12oz bottle poured into Corsendonk chalice dec16 2009

A cloudy golden peach with a very fast falling fingers worth of head that left no lace

S I get some mild spice with lots of corn flakes and orange

T where's the booze? as it smells but some credit is due for the well concealed booze, heavy on the cereal and a little yeast

M clean with just a little bite that helps me get over the fact that it's a little flat

D for 7.6%alc there's very little issues with this beer and the fact that it's quite well rounded helps its cause

not the best looking beer but overall I enjoyed it with ease. I love this brewery and only hope more of their products become available in my neck of the woods

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

This golden Belgian-style ale was a welcome taste on a cold and rainy night as the NFL was wrapping up its games. The welcome taste of classic Belgian blonde far exceeded my expectations, though I was already a fan of the brewery's other creations, such as Old Rasputin RIS and Brother Thelonious Dubbel.

The ale had a great malty body which exhibited lots of fruit and sweetness. I thought it was lightly hopped, if at all, and strong yeasty flavor was very present. It was very drinkable and I would highly suggest it as a great example of the American interpretation of the Belgian blonde style.

3.47/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy gold color with a thin head which disappeared immediately. Smell is lemon, malt, and yeast.The taste is somewhat sweet with the malt being more dominant than I would have guessed from the aroma.The yeast and lemon are also present. Medium bodied with good carbonation. A decent drinkable beer.

3.76/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shockingly I found this at the SDSU campus bar...the kind of place you'd never expect to find anything but dopey coed's drinking Bud Light. So I got the big 16oz pour....in a plastic cup.

A - Light slightly hazy beer...very Belgian but in a seemingly mass produced way. Solid head from the pour with very good retention

S - Some sour Belgian notes with plenty of Euro hops flavours poking thru. A little hint of booze in there too as this is a strong ale.

T - Pretty good. For a Belgian it is well rounded, with a good yeast flavor propping up the hops. Not terribly bitter or citrusy but kinda just right. This is very much a Belgian beer for American craft beer lovers...

M - Not bad, plenty of carbonation and a solid feel overall. Very much true to style, but thinner then some making this much more drinkable

D - Actually pretty high. I'd down a sixer of this for sure - vs a Maudite or something like that where you wanna really savor it.
Not my fav beer, but a fun alternative to the ol IPA...

3.95/5  rDev -2%

12 oz. bottle into Duvel tulip.

$8.99 / 6 pk.

45°F

S: Faint lemon citrus and just the slightest wheat. Pretty weak scent overall, but not unpleasant.

A: Straw body covered by a loose medium head that quickly dissipates with no lacing or cover.

T: Strong wheat backbone, and the customary ripe red fruit Belgian yeast flavors. Pretty strong citrus flavor, and very tasty. Low hop character, and no after taste to speak of. Hides -OH very well.

M: Light body with high carbonation. Very crisp, and bubbly. Fits the style pretty well. Perhaps just a little lower carbonation would be preferable.

D: Very light body and very drinkable for such a high abv beer. Watch out for this one, it is very easy to confuse for something in the low 4 abv range.

O: Very good beer, and a very tasty Belgian. For pure flavor and drinkability I find this to be far superior to Duvel, but it loses points for a weak scent and lackluster appearance.

4.02/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a tulip.

A: Deep apricot, with nice clarity for a bottle conditioned beer. A soapy peach tinted head starts huge, and then slowly retreats to a thin film. Leaves bits of lace.

S: Sweet and spicy. Pear and green grape dominate initially. Spicy cinnamon and clove come on to balance. In the background is the slightest hint of bubblegum.

T: Sweet flavors of pear and plum start things out. Spicy clove, coriander and cinnamon join in quickly to partially mask the fruit sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly warm, with a lingering spiciness. A mild sourness adds to the finish as the beer warms.

M: The syrupy body feels a bit thick for this style. The prickly carbonation; however, is right on the money.

D: Pranqster is a very nice US example of this style. It goes down quickly. Perhaps too much so, given the strength. I've been staring at this on the shelf for a long time, and am glad I finally decided to pick it up.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

I had this in bottle form poured into a goblet. I loved it...

Appearance: A completely opaque beautiful golden-orange color. Poured a small half-inch head, as I held it like a five meters above the glass and poured it aggressively.

Smell: Assorted fruitiness and yeast. Not as much going on in the aroma as in the taste...

Taste: Starts with a creaminess carrying a grapefruit flavor. Then a very strong yeastiness hits you, signature of Belgian pales. A little less yeast than Matilda, but still there. The aftertaste is green apples.

Mouthfeel: Creamy on the start as I said, and the hop character is very light, carrying some flavors on the finish. Perfect for me.

Drinkability: Very tasty and drinkable throughout the whole bottle, getting better as it warms. At 7.6% ABV you could almost call it a session beer...I would probably limit myself at two. Anyway, this beer wins.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

A- orange look mixed with honey colors , nice foamy head that disapear gradually, beautiful presentation.

S- Nice Belgian yeast and fruty smells , mostly banana and also some clove there.

T- Taste is great! Citrus , some apples , spice , colplex flavor on this gem.

M- Medium body , well done on the carbonation, can drink more than one easily.

D- Very easy to drink , clean finish.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured cold -- 45 degrees to tullip shaped beer Challice

A) Golden orange. Some say hazy but mine appears to be clear as a bell - I can see through the glass. Small, lacy head

S) Fruity sweet -- banana, apple & pear. Hint of clove, coriander. Mild hops

T) Sticky sweet Belgian sugars and malt. Very close interpretation of Belgian pale or blond ale. Tart, sweet and fruity. Alcohol is mild yet ABV is moderate @ 7.6%.

M) Carbonation is ample but a bit light for the style. Smooth and refined.

D) A quality American made Belgian style ale. Easily drinkable but beware of alcohol content which quickly catches up with you

3.99/5  rDev -1%

A- This one pours a cloudy golden honey-orange with 1 finger of head. The head didn't last very long and there's not much in terms of lace either. Some carbonation showing through the centre of the thin film that was left on top.

S- Belgian spice, yeast, banana, pear, apple. This really reminds me of the typical Unibroue smell.

T- Starts of fairly spicy with hints of banana and apple, it then mellows out with some sweet malt & yeast. The alcohol is noticeable in the finish, but it isn't harsh by any means.

M- The mouth is creamy, medium body & a good amount of carbonation.

D- A nice brew from north coast, but I couldn't see myself having more than a couple.

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%

My first beer review! My homebrew beer bro brought this one over. I love the smell...it's intoxicating. It leaves a pleasant after taste. What more can I say? It's just my first review. But there seems to be a minimum of 250 characters, so I'll just end this with a bunch of filler. I must say that I like the name of the brew and the label, but I'm not sure about the use of the 'q'. Funny misspellings are too common these days. I think it's more hip to spell things normally. But then again, I live in Silicon Valley where spaces between words are deprecated, random capitalization is par for the course, and q's abound.

4.11/5  rDev +2%

12 oz bottle

A: Hazy, gold-colored. Nice foam.

S: Assorted yeasty spices. Maybe a hint of coriander and fruit

T: What an excellent Belgian pale ale. Definitely getting the typical Belgian yeast profile, along with some sweet spices. Good carbonation. Nice hops.

M: Creamy with good amount of bubbles

D: Highly sessionable

4.27/5  rDev +6%

12 oz bottle poured into my Spinnerstown Hotel stem glass.

A - Pour golden/orange color, hazy with 1/2 inch fizzy white head, little retention or lacing, steady stream of small carbonation bubbles.

S - Prominent scent is spicy belgian yeast. Hints of pear and sweet fruits. Surprisingly, a little funk as well, some straw and wild yeast scents.

T - Wow, North Coast you outdo yourself. Loads of spicy belgian yeast hits the palate quickly and lingers throughout. Next comes fruity esters, most notably pear and gala apples. The taste is rounded out with some barnyard funk (straw), soft sweet caramel (pale/munich malts), and small amounts of earthy/spicy hops.

M - Biting carbonation to start and finishes creamy. Light mouthfeel with lingering dry funk and spice.

D - Spot on carbonation and hidden abv lends itself to drinking a few of these. Great complex palate with nothing too extreme or outlandish to limit the drinkability here.

4.74/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance: cloudy golden body with a little head

Smell: wild yeast, apples and pineapples

Taste: very complex belgian..floral and fruits hit you first than has a nice hop bitterness at the end

Mouthfeel: Medium-full mouthfeel that leaves you wanting more

Drinkability: 5/5

Pranqster from North Coast Brewing Co.