Pranqster - North Coast Brewing Co.

PranqsterPranqster

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.60% ABV

IBU's: 20

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-01-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pranqster Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a deep golden honey color with a billowing white head.

Has a strong fruity aroma. Orange is the most prominent. A little of the malt comes through as well.

Has fruity orange, pear and apple flavors. Fairly sweet with a slight spiciness. I pick up some subtle honey flavors. The alcohol is there slightly in the background, but not overly forward. Some slight yeasty and bready flavors as well. Very well balanced, with nothing overpowering the other.

Very smooth and slightly warming mouthfeel. A little peppery carbonation.

This beer is very easy to drink and higher ABV doesn't deter you at all.

This is actually my first beer of this style and it's fantastic. I picked this particular one because I was going to make a chicken recipe from the last issue of the BA mag that called for it. Thanks guys (although I haven't made the recipe yet, hopefully the beer with make it that long).

Kallessin, Mar 21, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Effervescent carbonation, apparent from the streams of bubbles floating up from the bottom. Big pale white head, very sustaining, fluffy as all hell, provided thick lacing. Beer was slightly hazed, bright golden in color.

S-Spicy with big clovey and slightly banana phenols. Yeasty sweet bready, slightly fruity.

T-Mostly sweetness, of candi sugar and malt, with cloves and some yeasty nuances. Bitterness does its best to balance, but it's still just a bit outdone by the malts (this is not a bad thing).

M-High carbonation cuts through this medium-bodied beer. Very slippery.

D-OK drinkability. I wouldn't reach for this one again, but I enjoyed it this time.

CHSLBrew, Mar 11, 2009

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: This beer is a beautiful golden hazy color that represents the style well. The last 1 inch of beer I swished in the bottle and pitched it into the beer to get the yeast well distributed. I got a 2 finger head, and that receded slowly to a 1/2 finger head that stayed there throughout drinking the entire bottle. The lacing on this beer is the absolute best I have ever seen. Even beats Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

S: I wasn't getting much from the smell except that it smells like a standard BSPA. Some mild hops, light phenols, and leather/plasticy that was not necessarily bad. Just different. I wanted more fruit in the nose.

T: What the beer lacked in smell it made up for in the taste. This beer is smooth and exceptionally balanced. The hops, and light Belgian candi sugars blend perfectly and nothing stands out in a bad way. The beer has a finish that leaves my tongue feeling slightly acidic as though I just ate some pineapple. The sensation is the same, but the taste of pineapple is not there. Maybe some sour apple in the finish but no fruit on the front end of this one. This beer also finishes extremely dry, and reminds me of an Orval in that respect which is good.

M: Almost perfect. Very creamy (in a good way), coated my mouth just right, and if the carbonation had been slightly higher I would have ranked it perfection.

D: Unbelievable. I could have drank the entire 4 pack last night, but drank some other things instead. I really wanted to have some more of these for another time too. This was the first time I'd seen it, and would definitely purchase it again. Love Duvel, but for $3-4 cheaper I will probably choose this more often.

Overall I am glad I discovered this beer. Highly drinkable even at 7.6% ABV, and left me wanting more. I think that pitching the yeast is essential for this brew and would make sure to do that again when drinking it.

thirdeye11, Mar 11, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Wasatch threw this beer into one of our recent trades. Thanks, John.

Pranqster has a hazy, opaque, orange/yellow body with about one finger of white head. Lots of carbonation bubbles are moving all over the place to the top of the beer. The heads fades to a thing ring, but that ring doesn't disappear, leaving a ring on top of the body for quite a while. Some thin lacing stays behind, but not a ton.

My first whiff of this beer is impressive, and subsequent sniffs don't disappoint. A little bit of spicy, peppery yeast aroma. Lots of light fruits like peaches or apricots. Pretty good.

The taste is similar to the nose, as usual. Up front comes a pretty big candied sugar flavor that fades into a sweet, fruity flavor. The more subdued sweetness features the peaches and apricots from the aroma. A little bit of banana sneaks in there too. Just a touch of pepper/coriander yeast characteristics appear here. Not sure whether I would classify it as one or the other; it's probably somewhere in between.

Mouthfeel is pretty much middle of the road in all ways concerned for the style.

Drinkability is pretty good. Overall, this is a good beer.

Hojaminbag, Mar 09, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a cloudy orange brown with a quarter inch white head. nice continuous head formation/retention. Smells of yeast, tangerines, apricots and orange rind. Hint of lemongrass and spice. Flavor is an excellent spicy, mildly yeasty bland of orange zest, belgian malt, vague sweetness, apricot and coriander. Alcohol very prominent, but appropriately so for the style and flavor. Medium to full bodied, sticky, creamy mouthfeel. An eminently drinkable BSPA. Smooth and clean. Impressive that North Coast can brew such a range of really excellent and true-to-style beers.

aforbes10, Mar 06, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden in color with a rather frothy white head of adequate size. Retention is disappointing--the head fell quickly to a small, bubbly ring around the top of the glass. Swirling quickly kicks the head back up due to the fine carbonation, so hopefully the feel of this beer will be gratifying.

S: Sweet and fruity. Orange and apricot/mango--something tropical-like. Dry, grainy malt aromas. Just a tinge of muskiness, but not much. Some spices, but not as spice-full as most Belgians. Still, the complexity and bold fruitiness is quite nice. Could be a little stronger, but that's all.

T&M: Fruity, spiced, and slightly musky/earthy. Complex and fun. Dry apricots and a muskiness that is slightly akin to a saison. Not as bursting with clove as some Belgians, but some spiciness is present. I particularly enjoy the fruity/musky combination. The finish is only slightly sweet, and the remnants of that musky flavor make my mouth beg for the next sip. Body is medium with a brisk, fine carbonation that fits very well for the style.

D: More drinkable than Duvel for me. Though Duvel may be a bit bigger and badder, I'll still look out for Pranqster in the summer and spring months. Despite the ABV this one still goes down quite nicely. Glad I cracked this open tonight.

BamaBeerBuff, Mar 05, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a tulip from a 12oz bottle

A - Deep orange, murky with a small head that recedes to a ring around the glass very quickly.

S - Grapefruit, oranges, raisins, cloves and hints of alcohol.

T - Hoppy, bits and pieces of sweetness that tastes like citrus fruits and a pretty big alcohol taste.

M - Highly carbonated with a light to medium body.

D - Good drinkablity. I could have another of these, would like to have it from the tap.

surfer4life, Mar 04, 2009
4.03/5  rDev 0%

Pours a slightly cloudy golden color with one inch of white head that slowly settles to a thick cap. Moderate amount of sticky lacing is left on the glass surface. Nice aroma of cloves and fruit such as bananas and grapes. The flavor is likewise a combination of the spice and fruit flavors. Finishes on the sweet side. I prefer this style a little drier. The body seems a little weak and thin. Lacks a good texture and feels a little harsh. A nice beer and true to style. A very good value as well.

morimech, Mar 01, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip. A slightly hazy, golden hue with a rich white head and good retention.

Smell. Slightly sour white wine, cloves and spices, yeast, pineapple. Not very potent.

Taste. Again slightly sour white grapes come in strong. Spices, yeast, pineapple and some fresh sweet fruit. Pretty tasty.

Mouthfeel. Medium bodied. Slick with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability. Goes down smooth and drinks good. Easy.

astrasday, Feb 27, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

A~ 1.5'' head with no staying power, and minimal lacing. Yellowish copper hue to it. Visible carbonation for a cloudy beer.

S~ Smelled fruity to me. Almost comparable to wine. Kind of like white grape juice with hops. Pleasant.

T~ Great! Alcohol is noticeable there but not overpowering. I got a hint of grapefruit flavor. Not at all what I expected, but I def enjoyed it.

M~ Strong carbonation with oily fruitiness in the beer.

D~ I enjoyed this. Like a beer and wine combo. Good alcohol balance with good carbonation level. Maybe the true champagne of beers.

Coorskid33, Feb 26, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured a very hazy, peach colored body with tons of carbonation rising up. A small, ghost white head rose up and held very well. Slowly reduced into a quarter inch cap. Minimal lacing.

Smell is intensely yeasty - lemon zest, apricot, orange peel. Plenty of sweet cakey-ness as well. Bubble gum. Wisps of bananas and some malt. Cloves. Very intense.

Taste is great - spicy, tart lemons kick it off followed by fresh baked biscuits and earthy malts. Hints of bananas, cloves, bubble gum throughout. Finish is spicy, yeasty, and long lasting. Alcohol warmth adds yet another great aspect.

Mouthfeel is fantastic - extremely crisp. Very drinkable for the ABV - it only provides a great and welcoming warmth - doesn't interfere with flavors at all. Carbonation is very 'Belgian' and spot on. If I didn't know any better, I'd think this was fresh out of Belgium, as a matter of fact. Great brew, North Coast is truly an amazing brewery.

TMB0424, Feb 19, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy gold. Head is large but quickly recedes into a sheet of cover. Nose is all Belgian spiciness, light citrus/orange fruit and a soft candy-toffee. Medium-dry on the tongue with a spritzy carbonation. Alcohol comes through along with some orange and some earthy and chalky flavours. Typical Belgian spiciness. Not overly fruity... really not a lot of huge flavours in this, but a nice balance. Overall, pretty drinkable golden ale.

allergictomacros, Feb 13, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured hazy gold color. lots of carbonation with this one, which I like. Can taste the spice in this one, not sure what it is, but tastes kinda fruity. has a really nice malty feel, and taste. And is just sweet enough. Lot going on with this one. I will have to give it another shot...

webbcreative, Feb 11, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into new belgium globe glass. Color is a hazy/cloudy sunset orange. Head is one finger that fizzles down quickly, but has a thin layer stick around. Leaves splatted lace. Amazing retention.

Aroma is very fruity. Has a clove aroma as well with malts on the side. Banana aroma too. And fruit zest. That is all.

Taste is awesome. Very complex. Has a bready taste with banana and clove, similar to the smell. Some earthy hops as well.

Mouthfeel is very crisp, maybe a little overcarbonated. Ends with a very sticky aftertaste.

Overall, this was an amazing beer. Very flavorful and easy to drink. I will definitely have another.

mothman, Feb 11, 2009

12 oz. bottle purchased in 4-pack from John's Marketplace.

Pours a cloudy golden-orange with moderate head and lacing. Passion Fruit up front, not too much citrus or coriander, with minimal alcohol bite on the back. Dangerously drinkable. Very similar to AllagashTripel, a fine interpretation of the American version of the style.

jdense, Feb 08, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

Bought this bomber when I visited the brewery last month. Poured into a tulip and enjoyed with some friends. I had it on tap at the brewery, but the person pouring it overpoured like hell and wasted about half a pint of brew. It was a pretty bad experience, but I'm so glad I bought this 22oz to take home with me!

A: Cloudy golden color with one finger of off-white head; not a ton of lacing to speak of
S: Sweet malts mostly dominate, some spice comes through
T: Sweet malts with spice; immediately reminiscent of Hoegaarden, so I immediately guessed coriander; slightest alcohol coming through, balanced out by this amazing roasted grain. At the time, here's what I said about the taste: "If you were able to blend a giant field of wheat and hay and grains and animals and put it all in a glass, this would be the result." (note: no animals were harmed in the tasting of this beer)
M: Heavy carbonation, medium-bodied; thick hoppy residue left everywhere in my mouth and I didn't mind it at all
D: This beer is complex. There are flavors I weren't able to pin down, but I loved every second of it.

washburnkid, Feb 08, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Pours a hazy orange. With a fizzy head

S: Smells a little sour. there's a sweetness to it as well. Very nice smelling beers

T:There's a bitter bite right away but it's a good bite. Kinda yeasty, and dry?

M: very thin and drinkable.

D: Not alot of the 7.6% ABV is present at all. I could see revisiting this when I would want a Belgian Strong!

madtowndmb1, Feb 04, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

Golden yellow with a fizzy head, very carbonated.

The smell and taste are hazed in this musky, semi-bitter, semi-spicy cloud that makes it odd... especially on the exhale.

It seems a little too young? Maybe this would be a good beer to cellar for a year or two, let those flavors meld up a bit. Right now I'm not getting any real cohesion from the drink.

While I'm not sure if I'd get it again, I'm glad to have tried it.

cadenwhitaker, Feb 04, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

Pranqster pours a golden yellow with a fluffy white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is very fruity (primarily citrus) and a bit spicy too. The flavor strikes me as having more spice than fruit, although the fruit is clearly present. There is definitely a peppery aftertaste. The mouthfeel is on the thin side. Definitely worth a try.

Drew966, Jan 29, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

A: Orange amber.. slightly cloudy with a thick head that dissipated quickly.

S: Sweet and aromatic. Lots of spices coming through. Almost smells like a sherry, or a fruit wine.. Bit of alcohol coming though..

T: sweet, lots of fruit flavor, but it is a little muted. Not the crisp punch you would think, more like fruit that has fermented.. It has a bit of a musk to it. It ends with a kick of spice and alcohol.

M: Thick and a little oily... doesn't finish well..

D: A little peculiar for the style, but overall a decent brew.. Maybe just bad bottle, but not one I will buy again. Maybe on Tap it is better.

Beejay, Jan 29, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +21.6%

Wow I love North Coast, but I didn't expect this! Dark hazy amber color with a nice initial head - retention isn't great, but stays creamy. Aroma is thick and heavy with sweet fruits and, for lack of better words, Belgium :) I can't say the taste is otherworldly, like the similar Duvel, but still exceptional. It really has that Belgian character, unlike most American Belgian-style blonde ales I've had - fruity and sweet with some spice - refreshing, still thick and creamy. I with there was a great head on it, as that would really make each really silky, but the head touching your lips then sipping the ale from under it and getting that feeling of love in a glass. I'll try for a better head next time. I'd like to try this back to back with Duvel for kicks.

prsguitarsr4me, Jan 22, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a murky golden orange with thin head. The smell is citrus spicey and sweet. I smelled an array of scents such as clove, orange, cinnamon, and wheat. I was impressed with the complex aroma. Taste was a let down from the smell. It tasted of orange and spice with some hints of alcohol present. The mouthfeel was very carbonated and medium bodied. A little too much carbonation for my liking. I would drink this again because I feel it needs another chance, but as of now I was dissapointed with this beer.

cagocubs, Jan 19, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass. Body was a hazy orange gold, with a crisp white, one finger head. Nice retention, soapy lacing, and a lot of carbonation. Nose is medium-strong, orange peel and white pepper.

Brew is quite light for a relatively high ABV. Flavor profile isn't very pronounced, some sweet grassiness, citrus, and a hint of honey. Mouthfeel is fairly lively, with a dry finish.

Doesn't really jump off the charts in terms of the "wow" factor - but definitely well constructed. Alcohol is very well masked, and one you could have a few of. Wish there was a little more flavor.

bigkahunas4, Jan 19, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a cloudy golden orange color with two fingers of foamy white head.

Scent of yeast, fruits, sugars, caramel, spices, and a hint of earth.

Taste of yeast, spices, caramel, bready malts, and a hint of banana. Finishes with sugars, bready malts and some spices.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with a high amount of carbonation.

paco1029384756, Jan 18, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Full-on cloudiness with a warm yellow-orange glow, slight white foam across the surface of micro-bubbles which disperse swift enough if replenished by streams of bubbles from below. Clove, cumin, coriander and orange spice frame the nose, just-cooked bread and fresh yeasts, poached pear and forest floor underbrush. Full-bodied with frothy carbonation which clings to your mouth pores like scrubbing bubbles. All that clove, ginger, coriander spice alive here with deeper accentuation to the orange, lemon citrus. Texturally, has a semi-creamy feel like buttered dough or warm wax. Pear, banana and some apricot fruit add depth. While it rolls across your tongue, hits the brakes rather than extend at the end.

farrago, Jan 17, 2009
Pranqster from North Coast Brewing Co.