Pranqster - North Coast Brewing Co.

PranqsterPranqster

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.60% ABV

IBU's: 20

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-01-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pranqster Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Pours a nice 1 finger head into my goblet. The body is apricot in color and is just slightly cloudy due to a touch of yeast that snuck into the glass. As the head recedes, it leaves a nice sticky lacing.

S- A big banana, clove comes through on the nose as well as a slight yeasty component. There is also a nice balanced hop presence.

T- Starts with a major banana clove with apricot, and peach/pear sweetness, then moves into a nice dryer hop finish, still retaining some peach flavors.

M- A nice thick mouthfeel, due to alcohol, as well as a nice carbonation. Any more carbonation, however, and this would be a bit cloying. It's great for the style though.

D- This is a sipper @ 7.6% but what a great beer. It really feels more like a weizen-bock to me, but regardless, it's tasty. This will definitely be had again... and again.

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%

looks really great, reminds me alot of matilda from goose island, with a nice golden brown hue to it, and a tiny head and little carbonation. smell is amazing, it smells like gala apples, a sweet light citrusy aroma, taste is very good, a wonderful yeast flavor hits the tongue first, then spicy hops and warm malt its just really good. mouthfeel is decent, many belgians have alot more carbonation than this one. drinkability is very high, its just so damn good

3.6/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was a better beer than I had expected. It has a big yeasty flavor that I enjoyed quite a bit. It has a sweet and citrusy smell that contrasts well with the flavor without overpowering it. The flavor has some spice and the style's earthiness, although notably different than the Belgian versions that I've tried. The aftertaste has a good amount of dryness which combines with a healthy bite of carbonation. The beer is an attractively murky glass of pure gold with a bright head. Pranqster is well-balanced and easy to drink.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Poured into Stella glass from bottle

A: Beautiful golden amber coloring, head was smaller than I expected. Really nice looking brew.

S: Nose faint, small hint of alcohol with tinge of spices as well.

T & M: I was just slightly disappointed by this beer, I remember really liking it in the past. The main thing I notice on the taste is the finish which was quite bitter and had a hint of metallicness. As the beer warmed up some nice tones started to become more apparent.

D: Drinkable, North Coast is one of my favorite breweries but this definitely does not rank as my favorite beer of theirs.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into my Ommegang chalice

A: Soft light gold in color with tons of active carbonation. The head on this one was surprisingly not as good as I would have thought - about a half fingers head that dissipated quickly.

S: Smells very sour and also like a farmhouse. Earthy surprisingly but the Belgian yeast comes through nicely as well.

T: The taste is very good and flavorful, mainly of Belgian yeast but also of some other traits. Very nicely spiced and a strong taste of bananas. The finish is very, very sweet with caught me off guard but was something that I enjoyed.

Overall, much better than I expected. A great strong pale Belgian that leaves me wanting more.

1.88/5  rDev -53.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a glass goblet. Well let me start off by saying that I wanted to try another strong pale ale after having Duvel and enjoying it very much. This beer couldn't be further from that enjoyment. Smells like peachy yeast. Taste is predominantly yeasty as well. Some may like this characteristic, but it puts me off very much. Appearance is very nice; slightly cloudy and golden with visible carbonation. A very thin head with minimal lacing.

I'm just trying to understand all of these positive reviews. With each sip, I feel that I am getting nothing positive from this
beer. Mouthfeel a little thick, feel plenty of that carbonation in my mouth. Taste is just yeast. Aftertaste is just more yeast. Keep in mind, I kept the bottom yeast in the bottle, not in my beer. I find myself dreading and regretting each progressing sip.

I have nothing against North Coast at all and it is possible I got a bad batch but I did see some similarities in a few other reviews. Poured half the glass down the drain. I think it's called Pranqster for a good reason. Their goal was: let's see how overly offensive we can make this beer so people will be tricked into thinking they actually like it. I think I'm going to wash this taste out my mouth with some PBR.

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

This beer is no joke. Pours a yellow/orange color with a decent sized initial head which tapers off pretty quickly. The aroma is fruity but quite mild. There's a nice amount of flavor here though which was a bit surprising based on the mild aroma. It's fruity, spicy, yeasty, slightly tangy with hints of vanilla and very well balanced. There's enough there for a pleasing mouthfeel and it's quite refreshing. 7.2% and it really doesn't seem like it's that high. North Coast once again provides high quality for an affordable price. Well done!

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice style glass.

Slightly hazy golden color, light and bright, with a bit less than 2 fingers of head. Head retention is relatively low but left some light lacing behind.

Aromas were very pleasant with yeast and fruit in the forefront followed up with some nice light malt. Slight bits of spiciness on the nose as well.

Flavors are a nice complexity of what seem to be pale malts and some lighter indications of fruit, especially some dark fruit like prunes. There is a bit of that spiciness that is detectable on the nose that comes through nicely with good balance to everything else. The finish is actually a touch sweet with plenty of alcohol and a bit of warming. Not my favorite finish but not really all that bad either.

I like this and found it to be enjoyable. It's a little different but I think it does the style justice and was satisfying at the same time. If you are a fan of strong golden or perhaps Belgian Trips, give this one a try.

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours slightly cloudy with a big, fluffy, off-white head that drops relatively quickly to thick film.
Smell is malt, citrus, pepper, yeast and light hops.
Taste is malt, pepper, alcohol, yeast, citrus. The citrus departs in the aftertaste. Good flavor but slightly watery texture. Very light effervescence. A good beer but not great, solid middle of the road.

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

12oz bottle poored into a Chimay glass. Thanks to Rick for sending this one my way.

Look is orange tinted ple yellow with a smallish buut vibrant white head. Sell spicey and fruity with green apple, pear, clove and pepper being there. The taste very nicely ballance and much like the smell. You can taste all the elements but none are overpowering. Maby it was my bottle but I thought for a belgain pale it was a little under carbinated but thats my only real gripe. Overall a very good brew.

2.28/5  rDev -43.4%

Tried at the Stone 12th anniversary.

Pours gold, few stray bubbles.

Smells like yeast, and that's about it. Taste is pretty unpalatable, with some bitter yeast/bready strains, and a strange metallic twang that's really offputting.

This was a truly disappointing brew.

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

Four 12oz bottles purchased for something like $9.75 from "Choice Mart" or whatever that's called on Mass Ave in Boston. Not my usual haunt, but thought I'd stop in. No freshness date - which can be a concern here - but I thought this style would be safe enough. Pours a cloudy light gold with tons of bubbles and a bit of head. Nice yeasty aroma. First taste follows the aroma - all yeast with a slight spiciness as it goes down. Tripel-like. Not overly complex or exciting - or perhaps I burned out after a rash of similar-tasting tripels.

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

I think this is the last of the locally available North Coast beers for me to try. I generally lean more towards English, American, and German ales than their Belgian counterparts but this one has good bloodlines and is also a reasonable value at $6.99 a 4 pack.

The hue is a nice golden wheat with an enlightened orange tint but the head disappointingly never establishes itself and dies quickly. The nose reveals a fruity, almost wine-like mix of apple skin, banana, and grapes along with plenty of yeast.

A sip reveals an overload of carbonation, lots of warming alcohol right at the forefront, and the fact that I shouldn't have kept this 4 pack at the back of the fridge, it's far too cold. Let's allow it a few minutes to warm. Okay, take 2: That's a little more like it. The carbonation is much diminished allowing me to appreciate the dark fruits, yeasts, and malt tones. There is also a bit of pepper and spice, I'm thinking coriander?

This is nice but i definitely need to move the rest of these bad boys to the fridge door, that cold is a taste killer. Good, solid, well made stuff. Not really my speed style wise, but quality for what it is.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

The aroma of this beer was the highlight for me: Banana, apple, Belgian yeastiness, other fruits... really great. Golden yellow in color with a small ring of head at the top after it settles. Medium to full body with decent carbonation. No doubt when tasting it that it is a Belgian style ale. Alcohol comes through very nicely. Sweet aftertaste is enjoyable. Definitely drinkable, but I was expecting a little more complexity in the taste. Still, good beer.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a clear golden yellow with a nice white head that fades rather quickly but leaves ok lace. Nose is very grainy with some belgian yeast. Taste follows, nice graininess, light subtle hops, and good yeast character. Grassy. Nice mouthfeel, a bit too thick maybe. Drinkability is quite good, but not amazing. Overall a good brew, but not one I am thouroughly impressed with. A good one to try. Pretty sessionable for the abv. Good brew.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance
Clear, dark orange; off-white head that is about 1/4" tall - 4

Smell
Banana, sweetish malts; not overly complex, but pronounced and invivting

Taste & Mouthfeel
The mouthfeel on this beer is outstanding, further convincing me North Coast knows how to give a beer a good feel; full flavor from front to back, but with hard to describe flavors (due to my limited experience with Belgian style beers)...banana, malt, a little sour, slightly medicinal, caramel

Overall
Pretty darn good. It really grew on me. I'm not used to the style, but I'm eager to try more.

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

12oz Stubby
$7.99 4-Pack
Binny's Orland

Pranqster leaves the bottle a hazy apricot orange with zero visibility. When directly backlit this beer lights up like the setting sun and becomes a bright deep golden. The carbonation is aggressive and absolutely explodes to the surface and is visible throughout the body. The head was a little less impressive then I have seen in the past. A standard pour brought about a one finger head of clean white creaminess. After a couple minutes the head falls to a respectable creamy cap and leaves tightly packed micro bubbled lace behind.

Pranqster is full of big yeasty esters. Banana, mild clove, and bubblegum are all accounted for and combine for an inviting aroma. The malt backbone is clean, raw graininess and acts as a nice canvas for the esters that are running wild. Light sugars seemed to have been used as well for an added sweetness to keep up with the somewhat fruity esters.

The flavors are spot on with what the aroma suggested. This beer is 100% yeast driven. Banana and clove fall back a little compared to the bubblegum but all are juicy with the clove being the mildest. There's a light dusting of orchard fruits that remind me of green apple and faint peach on the swallow. There's a nice white peppery finish on this beer that adds the finishing touch. The quality brewed grainy base is simple but right where it should be to let the yeast work it's magic and drop the ester bomb.

The mouthfeel of this beer is right where it should be. The body has a decent amount of sugars left behind to give it creamy feel but the lively carbonation keeps things moving and gives the impression of this beer feeling much lighter on the tongue. The peppery spiciness is left behind on each swallow.

This is a highly drinkable, highly enjoyable beer. The complexities keep me coming back for more but it's not overloaded with depth. The glass just keeps tipping.

Pranqster is a delicious Duvel-style beer. As a matter of fact it's one of my favorite American interpretations of the style. I find myself picking this one up every now and then. The price is tough to beat too.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

A-foggy golden color comes out of the glass even though it had been sitting for a couple days before hand and was a gentle pour. looked clear coming out of the bottle, but ohh well ,doesnt really matter. tan? offwhite head that stuck around for ages with not much lacing. perfect golden color.

S- yeasty lemony, light fruit (banana?) some coarse grains and I agree with todd, a light 'animal' smell. Kind of wierd, and maybe i just haven't had enough belgians to really see that much before

T- light smooth malty slightly lemony, honey flavors light coriander character, biscuit character, yeasty finish with the hops being barely noticable beyond the balancing with the malt.

M- medium body, high carbonation, smooth, yeasty lingering on the tonuge

D- solid all around. very well done

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Chimay chalice...

This is a great Belgian Pale Ale from an American brewery. Superb!

A- Dark golden color with some orange hues. Frothy, yeasty sediment, lacing, head. This is a beauty!

S- Good, but not as impressive as other aspects of this brew. Some hints of banana and spice, belgian yeast and biscuit.

T- Huge mouthful of tropical fruits, mainly pineapple, sweet apples, passion fruit. Spices? Oh yes. Peppery, lemon zest, corriander, all spice, plenty of others. Lots going on here- IT ALL WORKS.

M- Medium bodied, crisp, clean, and refreshing.

D- Very drinkable even with all the flavor and spice going on. A really tasty rendition of a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. This is a treat.

2.65/5  rDev -34.2%

12oz bottle pours a cloudy light orange. Small but tenaciously lacing head.

Smell is sweet with bits of pineapple yeast.

Taste is sweet with a heavy mouthfeel. Big carbonation but no alchohol. Kind of a boring taste. It's not bad but it's not complex enough. There's a bit of spice and banana. Hints at candied sugar like many belgain beers. No hop profile to speak of.

Drinkability is groovy... sorry, evil dead ii in the background.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden blonde color with amber tones into my Hopfenstark glass. Has a decent one-finger head.

The aroma has hints of biscuit malt and some breadiness in it. There's some spiciness to it which adds a bit of character to it.

Taste is smooth and spicy upfront with hints of biscuit malt, spiciness and some chewiness. Hop bitterness isn't overwhelming either.

Mouthfeel is dry and a bit hoppy with the breadiness showing through more. The spice is more subdued at the back of throat, allowing the base pale ale flavors to shine.

Very drinkable for a belgian strong pale ale. Smooth and has all the characteristics of a typical pale ale but the execution is worth. I like it.

Appearance- Pours an absolutely crystal clear amber. Almost the color of honey, but not as deep or as rich. The head was about 2 fingers, white, kind of loose that settled down very quickly to a white cap. No lacing.

Smell- Not as strong as I would like. I may have chilled it to much. What there is smells great. A complex, well-blended light malt sweetness, with a hint of fruitiness and breadiness. You can almost smell the alcohol to. Can't wait to taste it.

Taste- Yum. It's well balanced. Nice malt sweetness, maltiness and breadiness in the front. Hints of light fruits (apples, white grapes, etc.). Develops a peppery finish as it warms. Just the barest hint of alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel- The body is a tiny bit heavy, and the carbonation is a tad low. Still....very nice.

Drinkability- Well worth trying. One of the best American Belgian Ales I've had. Maybe the best.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Bought a single bottle at my favorite shop, pours a great cloudy orange color. The carbonation was decent but the head diminished too soon. Good aroma of fruits and spices. This beer drinks very easily and tastes great, extremely smooth and highly refreshing. I will definitely buy this one again.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a bit darker than I was expecting; kind of a cloudy, dark honey color. In a Duvel tulip, I got about three fingers worth of head that went down to about a finger's worth after about a minute, but left a really nice, thick lacing above that.

The smell is a bit subdued, but there's mostly a sweet, fruity smell with a little bit of bread.

Taste is pretty mild and balanced. There's a bit of bread, a tiny bit of fruit, and a little bit of peppery spiciness in the finish. Alcohol taste isn't really noticeable.

I thought this felt a little full-bodied, but still pretty mild and well-rounded. Very drinkable, more so than some of the traditional incarnations of the style.

Overall this is definitely a good and tasty beer, but it's not especially "bold;" very balanced and well-rounded all over, and very drinkable. I don't think this is quite up to the same standard as Duvel or Delirium, but a very good beer none the less.

3.45/5  rDev -14.4%

A nice gold color with a bit of white head.

Spicey scent, coriander and malt.

The coriander is present, if a bit strong. The hops and malts also make an appearance.

Defent carbonation, sweet and mellow aftertaste

I don't know, the coriander was a bit much for me. It's just not a flavor I'm fond of, and it is all too present here. Normally I love North Coast, but this appears to be the exception.

Pranqster from North Coast Brewing Co.