Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,540 | Hads: 11,417

This is an awesome beer! I love Stout and I drink this beer when I am in a very good mood. Today I found it very very very cheap then the normal price I found. Nice smooth drinking imperial stout. Great taste and very easy finish stout. I found this at Trader Joe's at a very good price. Try it!

Pours a jet inky black with a nice tan head that sticks to the side of the glass, your esophagus, and coats the intestines. Milk chocolate, espresso, and alcohol; put all of that in a pot and slow roast it and you're getting close to the nose on this one. Espresso oils are first and most prominent throughout. Chocolate sweetness makes an appearance and a balanced alcohol and hop bitter finish take you home. There is a lot to this beer and you can focus on something different every sip.

I had this at Cask Republic in New Haven, CT on tap into a snifter.

It arrived as a lovely dark color with a nice tan head that lasted throughout. Nice lacing. Nice bitterness balanced well by the creaminess and a pronounced alcohol bite at the finish. This was my first time drinking this--hopefully many more to come. Definitely a sipper at 9% alcohol.

Oh boy, the Tsar of Beer. Looked at the label three seperate times to see where it was brewed. Yup, Fort Bragg California!

A- Dark, Dark with a beautiful four finger head that waited around for a good long time.

S- Malt, chocolate, burnt brown sugar.

T- What a wonderful rich creamy chocolate.

M- Great carbonation and thick and rich. Would be amazing in the winter.

D- One of the best ever! A classic and well worth the praise.

From the first pour. Chocolate light brown head that disolves leaving a clean line throughout. Great drink all the way through. With a mild sweet hint of chocolate that melts away with a good sharp finish after every drink. Smooth all the way through. 9%, you can taste it. With this amount of ABV it is a cool kick back beer, and something to enjoy any time. Room temp. for sure.

This beer by name alone sounds very ominous, however I think it is one the best stouts available. This beer is definitely not for the weak, or for people who can't appreciate the style. This beer starts with a rich molasses pour, that is as black as black can get; great cascade into the dark tan/ light brown head. The smell is of rich black roasted malts, with hints of rye and oats. I know each person is different, some prefer to sip this beer; but I can't help but almost chug it, if that says anything about the drinkability. If you haven't had this beer you owe it to yourself to pick up a four pack, chill to proper temperature and enjoy!

OK, I've sponged off this masterpiece of a website long enough. I need to review my all-time favorite that I've found thanks to BA.

A - Poured into a Duvel Tulip that was freshly rinsed and dried. Black as night with a densely packed tan head billowing over the lip of the glass. An exquisite sight.

S - Roasty, roasty, roasty... Syrupy chocolate roastiness. I wish I had an air freshener with this scent.

T - Dark malty with bitter chocolate coming through. Hops sneak in on the swallow. Take a deep breath in the mouth, exhale through the nose puts yourself right back in the barley roaster. Perfection.

M - Very heavy and full bodied. Puckering on this gives a sweet hoppy flavor that was hiding.

D - This is my "if you had one beer to drink for the rest of your life" beer. And for the 4 pack price at Wegmans in Princeton, NJ of $6.99 (it's now $7.99; glad I stocked up) it's a bargain.

Appearance. Oil dark with thick small beaded tan head.. aroma. Dark fruit sweet molasses. Taste . Very sweet up front followed by very slight bitter fruit and leave a the palate with a Kona coffee taste. Overall. This beer is now in my solid rotation which is a few select beers ..This made me fall back in love with American craft beer after a long Belgium stretch

Pours a very dark, almost reddish black and has a thin tan head that left quickly and leaves sporadic lace on my glass. It reeks of burnt malt, raisins and coffee. It smell like one terrific stout on steroids AKA a Imperial Stout. The flavor is very robust and is a good mix of dark malts and heavy hopping. Although a bit low on the alcohol for the style, this beer still packs a punch. That does not detract from this beers drinkability, because it is too good to pass up.

It just doesn't get any better than this. I have tried a zillion different beers and this is a top 5.
I won't repeat what others have all ready said other than a Rasputin a day keeps the doctor away.

If I had 3 wishes in my life, a life supply of this dark black gold and a key to the north coast brewery would be one of them!

It's getting colder, so that means I have to review a beer with a lot of alcohol that really warms you up. My second favorite beer of all time, just barely behind Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. This bad boy is HUGE. If you don't like your beers strong, you will absolutely hate this. On the other hand, if you like stouts, you have to give this thing a try. It's won FOURTEEN GOLD MEDALS in world beer festivals. It's as good as stouts get.

Appearance: 5 This baby is jet-black. A little red at the edges where just the faintest bit of light gets through, but that's it. A cocoa-brown head that dissipated quickly in my stein, but left nice lacing.

Smell: 5 Big alcohol smell, but also toasty coffee and roasted malts. Hits you in the face hard, so be prepared.

Taste: 5 Holy crap. Alcohol warming, but burnt coffee (in a good way) and strong chocolate. The aftertaste is strong dark chocolate and a very warming finish.

Mouthfeel: 5 thick, rich, and tongue-coating

Overall: 5 This is simply indescribable. There are too many strong flavors combining and re-combining for me to adequately describe them here. I just put short snippets of what I could, but it's simply the best stout there is. A drink that must be savored, slowly letting your mind wander to wherever the flavors take you. It's incredible. If you like stouts, this is the best one there is. A must-try.

I have had this beer on-tap and from the bottle and I have to say, this is what a stout is all about. Dark chocolaty and bold. The 75+ IBUs and 9% alcohol are hidden behind a fantastic flavor. The head is tan and allows for fantastic aromatherapy while drinking. Highly recommended.

From the bottle this beer does seem to be lacking some of the finer details of flavor found when it is on-tap.

I don't know why you do not have this beer in your top 25. This has to be the best Imperial Stout that I have ever had. In my opinion this beer cannot be improved upon!

I am more of an Pale Ale or IPA person, but if I see this on a beer list at a restaurant, I have to have it.

A truly excellent Stout. The flavor is exceptional. I am sincerely impressed with this one, and glad it is available year round. I love Stouts, and the funny thing is, I have seen it on the shelves many times and thought "maybe next time",but I finally decided to try it and now I am a big fan. If you are in the mood for an awesome Stout, (regardless of price or availability)do yourself a favor and try Old Rasputin. You will be glad you did.

This is a wonderful beer, the mouth is flooded with so much flavor that you almost trip off line. This is great on a winters night by a soft fire, some fine chocolate and the one you love. One special brew, a true masterpiece.

This Northern California brewed Russian Imperial Stout is one of my favorite beers. Old Rasputin is absolutely deliciously overwhelming with roasted malt and alcohol. It should really be poured into a glass first so the beautiful brown head can be enjoyed. Despite being 9% alcohol, this beer is surprisingly easy to drink.

This is the absolute best when it comes to a Russian Imperial Stout being brewed in the US today.

It pours deep black with a good dark brown head....I give up, it's too hard to describe this complex stout, I'll leave that to others. Just buy it, drink it, and enjoy it!

Be careful, its alcohol content is high for a very smooth taste, not a bit of booze on this palate.

Thanks North Coast!

Wow this beer was ineradicable! If you are reading this, STOP, go buy this beer now. Full of flavor, chocolate, coffee, and deliciousness. I will be going to get a case of this tomorrow. This is almost as good as Yeti.

First and foremost many people forget that everyone has different palette and taste things differently. This review is based on my palette and how I perceive the flavors of this beer.

Appearance: The color is a lovely black with medium brown head. The color reminds my of dark roast coffee. The head resembles coffee ice cream.

Smell: The smell is wonderful and full of roasty aromas with hints of caramelized sugars.

Taste: Flavors. flavors, flavors! It has a smooth roasted coffee and cocoa. It has a wonderfully bitter finish that entices one to sip and enjoy further. I can get mild notes of oats and caramel but they are very faint.

Mouth Feel: The flavors that this beer has a mouth feel that resembles beers that have been oak aged. This beer hasn't been but the feel on the palette reminds me of many barrel aged treats.

Overall: This beer is delicious. Dark , roasted and bitter. Just the way I like them. Top-notch and outstanding quality to price ratio. I highly recommend for experienced and sophisticated palette who love dark beer.

Hands-down THE BEST Russian Imperial Stout in existence. Black. Thick. Rich. Boozey. Oily. Not much of a head. Would love to drink two but can't do it.

Looking at this beer, for what it is (an imperial stout) - I have had no better example of the type. The alcohol is noticable, and gives quite the kick to the balls on the initial sip- but the flavor of it is rounded out with complexity, showing malts (perfectly balanced in the beer), spices, and chocolate. The flavor is SO complex and dense I am at a loss for descriptions trying to do it justice. Add to this the silky, creamy goodness that makes you want to keep sipping. The creaminess on this beer is so remarkable, that I can't think of anything I have ever had that compares. The only detraction might be that its heavy in notcing the alcohol in the flavor- but its an imperial stout, so this beer ends up being everything it should be.

Drank cold from regular glass poured from bottle.

Look: Very dark brown/black with red tinges on the edge. Pretty large, tan colored head (medium pouring) with lots of lacing. Head lasts a few minutes then dies down.

Smell: Malty, slightly boozy smell with roasted coffee notes.

Taste: Dark roasted coffee and bitter chocolate, molasses flavors. The 9% abv is pretty well masked, with the bitterness of coffee/chocolate and warming sensation of alcohol on the back of the tongue and throat on the finish.

Feel: Decently thick, it has a nice smooth mouth feel with slight carbonation.

Overall: Excellent stout, one of the best ones I've had. Will definitely be buying again.

Pitch black, thick dark tan head. Extremely rich roasted malt and alchohal aromatics. Thick roasted malts, burnt chocolate, coffee flavors penetrate deeply on the palate. Creamy and rich mouthfeel. Complex and complete. Probably should give a 2 or 3 for drinkability because it's so strong, but like Stone's Arrogant Bastard, I refuse. This beer is one of a kind.

This is the best Russian Imperial Stout that could ever exist. It is roasty, toasty, chocolatey, coffee tasting, sweet, bitter, smooth and balanced. It is absolutely perfect in every way.

The stout pours jet black, brown edges, chocolate milk head, about a finger thick (the dark chocolate milk, just like I like to make it) that laces nicely.

The smell is roasty, toasty, chocolatey. Perfect melding of notes. The taste is roasty, toasty, chocolatey, coffee tasting, sweet, bitter, smooth and balanced. The flavors knit together so perfectly, it brings tears to my eyes. Perfect.

Mouthfeel is full but not heavy or cloying. The drinkability is perfect. Amazing in every way. Stupendous.

I have to say, I love beer that fills the pallet. If I can see through it, I may not want to try it if I'm not familiar with it. My first experience with Imperial Stout was not a pleasant one. It was harsh and bitter. I shied away from such things until I discovered Old Rasputin. It's not harsh at all. I fills the pallet with all the flavors and notes I enjoy. It's not a beginners beer by any means. You have to really love the fullness and complexity that comes with such brews. It's not something I could drink one after the other for extended periods, but prefer to alternate between this and 90 Minute Imperial IPA from Dogfish Head.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.