Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,494 | Hads: 11,145

Pours very black - black enough to stop the winter sun - with a creamy, two-finger tan colored head. Strong dark-roasted coffee aroma and taste, finishing with notes of bitter cocoa and rye. No doubt their malt is kilned. Alcohol is well hidden by a caramelized, peppery, herbal bouquet. Subtle hints of sour fruit are in there somewhere. A very nuanced stout. Feels just like it looks: full-bodied and viscous with a mere touch of astringency. I can't find anything wrong with this beer. It has a legitimate claim to best in class. (532 characters)

My favorite beer. Dark, but beautiful. Like many Russian Imperial Stouts, it's high in alcohol content. That being said, it's awesome. For a craft beer, it's fairly priced. Definitely worth a try if you haven't! (211 characters)

A - Pours an oily jet black with a finger and a half of tan, creamy head with swirls of white cream within, nice thick whispy lacing.
S - Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, slightly smokey, roasted malts and an interesting, freshy earthiness.
T - Absolutely delicious, but be sure and let it warm up a bit first. Malts, coffee, slightly chocolate, quite sweet, a little bitterness at the end. Full bodied and very smooth and creamy mouthfeel.
O - A damned good, 5 star stout. A real treat for a cold autumn or winter day.
V - Quite hard to find and expensive, but must be experienced at least once within your life time. (617 characters)

My favorite beer on the planet PERIOD...... Everything about this beer is top notch. I was fortunate enough to work for a distribution company that carried North Coast products. One taste of Rasputin and I was hooked. My only issue is that it only comes in 4 packs :) (268 characters)

A perfect example of the style... It is what I compare all other RIS's to. Not sure why this isn't rated even higher, but it doesn't require a harpoon and large fishing vessel to land. (184 characters)

so close to perfect. It's dark and complex, bitter, good mouth feel. Some day I would like to make a beer very similar to this one. I don't expect anyone to improve upon it. Oddly enough I don't like anything else I've had from this brewery. (241 characters)

Tried this a few months ago and couldn't believe what I was tasting. High alcohol level , but you barely notice this over the great flavour.

I can't find it in the summer months, so I'm waiting for the fall to stock up.
This is everything a stout should be - the platonic ideal stout! (286 characters)

Visual - A dark, jet black color with creamy mocha head.

Aroma - A very pleasant earthy roasted malt scent with hints of chocolate and espresso. It's incredibly alluring.

Taste - Flavors are strong coffee with mild sweetness, and a very bitter and slight alcohol aftertaste. It's a very warm and comforting taste that begs to be savored.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied with little carbonation. Incredibly smooth and creamy.

Drinkability - The perfect drink for cold weathers. Soothing and delicious.

Overall - The best Imperial Stout I've had. Excellent in all aspects for a good beer. (583 characters)

Wow this beer was ineradicable! If you are reading this, STOP, go buy this beer now. Full of flavor, chocolate, coffee, and deliciousness. I will be going to get a case of this tomorrow. This is almost as good as Yeti. (218 characters)

I have to say, I love beer that fills the pallet. If I can see through it, I may not want to try it if I'm not familiar with it. My first experience with Imperial Stout was not a pleasant one. It was harsh and bitter. I shied away from such things until I discovered Old Rasputin. It's not harsh at all. I fills the pallet with all the flavors and notes I enjoy. It's not a beginners beer by any means. You have to really love the fullness and complexity that comes with such brews. It's not something I could drink one after the other for extended periods, but prefer to alternate between this and 90 Minute Imperial IPA from Dogfish Head. (640 characters)

This is my first time ever having this beer and I'm cracking one open now!

Appearance: A outstandingly beautiful black body with a creamy two finger head that settles... but not too quickly. Leaves quite a bit of lacing.

Smell: Dark coffee, hints of chocolate and roasty smell.

Taste: Exceptional... Extremely well put together and balanced, you get exactly what you get in the nose. Bitter...but also sweet Chocolate,roasted coffee, there's some alcohol in it..but it definitely doesn't take away from the wonderful taste. Towards the end of the glass it finished with a dry chocolatey bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium to thick bodied it stands in between. Amazing mouthfeel though.

Overall: This is the best beer I have had to date. A lot of people recommended it to me and I'm really glad I took their advice. If you're a fan of Russian Imperial Stouts.. give this one a try you WILL not be disappointed. This will have a consistent place in my fridge. (Especially for the price!) (994 characters)

Appearance. Oil dark with thick small beaded tan head.. aroma. Dark fruit sweet molasses. Taste . Very sweet up front followed by very slight bitter fruit and leave a the palate with a Kona coffee taste. Overall. This beer is now in my solid rotation which is a few select beers ..This made me fall back in love with American craft beer after a long Belgium stretch (482 characters)

A - black as night with a 1 finger tan head. Beautiful lacing lasting the whole beer through.

S - roasty with chocolate, caramel

T - on the bitter side with no bite from the alcohol, extremely rounded stout. Nice roasts and definite caramel and chocolate hints. Balanced.

M - creamy just a bit bitter.

O - this is now one of my go to stouts. Very balanced, dangerously drinkable. (383 characters)

Looking at this beer, for what it is (an imperial stout) - I have had no better example of the type. The alcohol is noticable, and gives quite the kick to the balls on the initial sip- but the flavor of it is rounded out with complexity, showing malts (perfectly balanced in the beer), spices, and chocolate. The flavor is SO complex and dense I am at a loss for descriptions trying to do it justice. Add to this the silky, creamy goodness that makes you want to keep sipping. The creaminess on this beer is so remarkable, that I can't think of anything I have ever had that compares. The only detraction might be that its heavy in notcing the alcohol in the flavor- but its an imperial stout, so this beer ends up being everything it should be. (745 characters)

If I could afford it, I would drink this every single day. Easily my favorite beer of all time.Bread read, raisins, chocolate, coffee, spices, and the perfect boozy finish are enough to make this beer seem like a staple food. The only other brew I could compare to Old Rasputin is Sierra Nevada Narwhal. But since that one is harder to find, I stick by my claim of this being the best beer in the world. (403 characters)

Sampled at the Farmers Cabinet in Philly. Off nitro this beer is untouchable. Massive two finger head blends slowly and beautifully. I've had it from a standard tap and a bottle but nitro is a whole other experience. Body is silky smooth and creamy. I've encountered lots of beer and very few can be considered perfect; this is one that can. A+ (344 characters)

I don't know why you do not have this beer in your top 25. This has to be the best Imperial Stout that I have ever had. In my opinion this beer cannot be improved upon!

I am more of an Pale Ale or IPA person, but if I see this on a beer list at a restaurant, I have to have it. (278 characters)

This is probably the best stout I have had in a long time. I rate this to be perfect because it is so much derserved to be. It's not too strong and it's real creamy. Rich in flavors of chocolate andbold dark stout like flavor. I have not seen or tasted a beer like this in a long time. My second choice to this would be Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. (349 characters)

A- black as your soul. Deep mocha head is creamy and lasts a looong time. Leaves huge lacing.
S- Roasted coffee notes are wonderful. Subtle hints of chocolate blend in.
T- A thing of beauty. The same chocolate and coffee notes from the aroma blend together perfectly.
M- so smooth. A rich fullness. Not oily or slick.
O- this thing is perfection. Hides it big ABV behind a delicious wall of flavors. (399 characters)

It's getting colder, so that means I have to review a beer with a lot of alcohol that really warms you up. My second favorite beer of all time, just barely behind Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. This bad boy is HUGE. If you don't like your beers strong, you will absolutely hate this. On the other hand, if you like stouts, you have to give this thing a try. It's won THIRTEEN GOLD MEDALS in world beer festivals. It's as good as stouts get.

Appearance: 5 This baby is jet-black. A little red at the edges where just the faintest bit of light gets through, but that's it. A cocoa-brown head that dissipated quickly in my stein, but left nice lacing.

Smell: 5 Big alcohol smell, but also toasty coffee and roasted malts. Hits you in the face hard, so be prepared.

Taste: 5 Holy crap. Alcohol warming, but burnt coffee (in a good way) and strong chocolate. The aftertaste is strong dark chocolate and a very warming finish.

Mouthfeel: 5 thick, rich, and tongue-coating

Overall: 5 This is simply indescribable. There are too many strong flavors combining and re-combining for me to adequately describe them here. I just put short snippets of what I could, but it's simply the best stout there is. A drink that must be savored, slowly letting your mind wander to wherever the flavors take you. It's incredible. If you like stouts, this is the best one there is. A must-try. (1,372 characters)

I have had this beer on-tap and from the bottle and I have to say, this is what a stout is all about. Dark chocolaty and bold. The 75+ IBUs and 9% alcohol are hidden behind a fantastic flavor. The head is tan and allows for fantastic aromatherapy while drinking. Highly recommended.

From the bottle this beer does seem to be lacking some of the finer details of flavor found when it is on-tap. (394 characters)

I had this at Cask Republic in New Haven, CT on tap into a snifter.

It arrived as a lovely dark color with a nice tan head that lasted throughout. Nice lacing. Nice bitterness balanced well by the creaminess and a pronounced alcohol bite at the finish. This was my first time drinking this--hopefully many more to come. Definitely a sipper at 9% alcohol. (355 characters)

A: Came pitch black in the pint. Thick and intimidating with a massive head that was so thick it seemed like frosting. This is a lacing monster covering nearly every part of the glass when I was done.

S: Shoe leather, molasses, earthy hop notes, slight bit of smoke.

T: Booze, wood, smoke, peat, burnt malt. Extreme cappuccino creaminess and coffee in the middle. More of those earthy hop notes and bittersweet baking chocolate.Ends with a burnt sweetness.

M: Perfect: thick, heavy, creamy, chewy but drinkable.

O: This is a monster! How I forgot. Dark and heavy with great burnt malt and hop profile. It excels for me in a world of syrupy RIS' that have gone over the top sweet. A welcome relief. How lucky that I can get it all the time. (743 characters)

From the first pour. Chocolate light brown head that disolves leaving a clean line throughout. Great drink all the way through. With a mild sweet hint of chocolate that melts away with a good sharp finish after every drink. Smooth all the way through. 9%, you can taste it. With this amount of ABV it is a cool kick back beer, and something to enjoy any time. Room temp. for sure.

Serving type: bottle (402 characters)

First and foremost many people forget that everyone has different palette and taste things differently. This review is based on my palette and how I perceive the flavors of this beer.

Appearance: The color is a lovely black with medium brown head. The color reminds my of dark roast coffee. The head resembles coffee ice cream.

Smell: The smell is wonderful and full of roasty aromas with hints of caramelized sugars.

Taste: Flavors. flavors, flavors! It has a smooth roasted coffee and cocoa. It has a wonderfully bitter finish that entices one to sip and enjoy further. I can get mild notes of oats and caramel but they are very faint.

Mouth Feel: The flavors that this beer has a mouth feel that resembles beers that have been oak aged. This beer hasn't been but the feel on the palette reminds me of many barrel aged treats.

Overall: This beer is delicious. Dark , roasted and bitter. Just the way I like them. Top-notch and outstanding quality to price ratio. I highly recommend for experienced and sophisticated palette who love dark beer. (1,052 characters)

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.