Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 11,067 | Reviews: 3,580

My favorite beer in the world

Absolutely in love with this beer. Had a great taste and wonderful mouth feel

A perfect stout. Really a beautiful thing.

Pours very black - black enough to stop the winter sun - with a creamy, two-finger tan colored head. Strong dark-roasted coffee aroma and taste, finishing with notes of bitter cocoa and rye. No doubt their malt is kilned. Alcohol is well hidden by a caramelized, peppery, herbal bouquet. Subtle hints of sour fruit are in there somewhere. A very nuanced stout. Feels just like it looks: full-bodied and viscous with a mere touch of astringency. I can't find anything wrong with this beer. It has a legitimate claim to best in class.

Amazing brew. One to always keep on hand.

Cery heavy. Love the bitterness. Good thing i had this brew for this ohio winter. Made me feel like rasputin himself.

My favorite beer. Dark, but beautiful. Like many Russian Imperial Stouts, it's high in alcohol content. That being said, it's awesome. For a craft beer, it's fairly priced. Definitely worth a try if you haven't!

A - Pours an oily jet black with a finger and a half of tan, creamy head with swirls of white cream within, nice thick whispy lacing.
S - Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, slightly smokey, roasted malts and an interesting, freshy earthiness.
T - Absolutely delicious, but be sure and let it warm up a bit first. Malts, coffee, slightly chocolate, quite sweet, a little bitterness at the end. Full bodied and very smooth and creamy mouthfeel.
O - A damned good, 5 star stout. A real treat for a cold autumn or winter day.
V - Quite hard to find and expensive, but must be experienced at least once within your life time.

My favorite beer on the planet PERIOD...... Everything about this beer is top notch. I was fortunate enough to work for a distribution company that carried North Coast products. One taste of Rasputin and I was hooked. My only issue is that it only comes in 4 packs :)

Tremendously enjoyable Imperial Stout. Delicious with that malty, chocolaty taste, great head, wonderful lacing, one to keep in the rotation.

so close to perfect. It's dark and complex, bitter, good mouth feel. Some day I would like to make a beer very similar to this one. I don't expect anyone to improve upon it. Oddly enough I don't like anything else I've had from this brewery.

Excellent stout and great beer to drink.

Thank the nitro for this smooth, velvety beer. Full, dark flavor with a perfectly creamy head, this is one of my favorite beers.

One of the seven wonders of Northern California...

one of my top 2 fav brews. So smooth to drink, great flavor. Nothing to not like about this beer!

Tried this a few months ago and couldn't believe what I was tasting. High alcohol level , but you barely notice this over the great flavour.

I can't find it in the summer months, so I'm waiting for the fall to stock up.
This is everything a stout should be - the platonic ideal stout!

Visual - A dark, jet black color with creamy mocha head.

Aroma - A very pleasant earthy roasted malt scent with hints of chocolate and espresso. It's incredibly alluring.

Taste - Flavors are strong coffee with mild sweetness, and a very bitter and slight alcohol aftertaste. It's a very warm and comforting taste that begs to be savored.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied with little carbonation. Incredibly smooth and creamy.

Drinkability - The perfect drink for cold weathers. Soothing and delicious.

Overall - The best Imperial Stout I've had. Excellent in all aspects for a good beer.

Wow this beer was ineradicable! If you are reading this, STOP, go buy this beer now. Full of flavor, chocolate, coffee, and deliciousness. I will be going to get a case of this tomorrow. This is almost as good as Yeti.

I have to say, I love beer that fills the pallet. If I can see through it, I may not want to try it if I'm not familiar with it. My first experience with Imperial Stout was not a pleasant one. It was harsh and bitter. I shied away from such things until I discovered Old Rasputin. It's not harsh at all. I fills the pallet with all the flavors and notes I enjoy. It's not a beginners beer by any means. You have to really love the fullness and complexity that comes with such brews. It's not something I could drink one after the other for extended periods, but prefer to alternate between this and 90 Minute Imperial IPA from Dogfish Head.

This is my first time ever having this beer and I'm cracking one open now!

Appearance: A outstandingly beautiful black body with a creamy two finger head that settles... but not too quickly. Leaves quite a bit of lacing.

Smell: Dark coffee, hints of chocolate and roasty smell.

Taste: Exceptional... Extremely well put together and balanced, you get exactly what you get in the nose. Bitter...but also sweet Chocolate,roasted coffee, there's some alcohol in it..but it definitely doesn't take away from the wonderful taste. Towards the end of the glass it finished with a dry chocolatey bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium to thick bodied it stands in between. Amazing mouthfeel though.

Overall: This is the best beer I have had to date. A lot of people recommended it to me and I'm really glad I took their advice. If you're a fan of Russian Imperial Stouts.. give this one a try you WILL not be disappointed. This will have a consistent place in my fridge. (Especially for the price!)

Appearance. Oil dark with thick small beaded tan head.. aroma. Dark fruit sweet molasses. Taste . Very sweet up front followed by very slight bitter fruit and leave a the palate with a Kona coffee taste. Overall. This beer is now in my solid rotation which is a few select beers ..This made me fall back in love with American craft beer after a long Belgium stretch

A - black as night with a 1 finger tan head. Beautiful lacing lasting the whole beer through.

S - roasty with chocolate, caramel

T - on the bitter side with no bite from the alcohol, extremely rounded stout. Nice roasts and definite caramel and chocolate hints. Balanced.

M - creamy just a bit bitter.

O - this is now one of my go to stouts. Very balanced, dangerously drinkable.

Looking at this beer, for what it is (an imperial stout) - I have had no better example of the type. The alcohol is noticable, and gives quite the kick to the balls on the initial sip- but the flavor of it is rounded out with complexity, showing malts (perfectly balanced in the beer), spices, and chocolate. The flavor is SO complex and dense I am at a loss for descriptions trying to do it justice. Add to this the silky, creamy goodness that makes you want to keep sipping. The creaminess on this beer is so remarkable, that I can't think of anything I have ever had that compares. The only detraction might be that its heavy in notcing the alcohol in the flavor- but its an imperial stout, so this beer ends up being everything it should be.

If I could afford it, I would drink this every single day. Easily my favorite beer of all time.Bread read, raisins, chocolate, coffee, spices, and the perfect boozy finish are enough to make this beer seem like a staple food. The only other brew I could compare to Old Rasputin is Sierra Nevada Narwhal. But since that one is harder to find, I stick by my claim of this being the best beer in the world.

Sampled at the Farmers Cabinet in Philly. Off nitro this beer is untouchable. Massive two finger head blends slowly and beautifully. I've had it from a standard tap and a bottle but nitro is a whole other experience. Body is silky smooth and creamy. I've encountered lots of beer and very few can be considered perfect; this is one that can. A+

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.